Why VHL Recruitment is Still Lacking

Kendrick

So I take it most of you know that Recruitment is the one area I watched closer than anything. I'm not on the Recruitment Crew nor do I collect TPE week-to-week for going out and searching places to recruit. I do so because the leagues member base has gotten a tad stale.I think everyone can agree that having the same members recycle through players for draft classes can be a little redundant and thus predictable with some of the draft spots. I'm writing this as sort of a wake up call and if it strikes someones nerve then I know for a fact it was worth it. The VHL doesn't know how to recruit properly because the VHL doesn't want to recruit properly. By that I mean that the VHL members may say they want recruitment to take off, but they will do nothing to help that actually take place. The SHL recently launched their SHL Reddit Recruiting (which they do fairly consistently). In the matter of 6-7 hours they have over 60 upvotes and the comments are rolling in faster than Bill Cosby can plop a pill in a drink. The issue? In the VHL, members don't take pride in this league and thus don't care really about the 5 second task to go in and like, follow or tweet something. Hell, I go into these things and do them anyways regardless of if their is TPE involved. if we took 2 minutes a week just to actually broadcast out site on the internet we would be better off. Twitter is a growing community and I've seen some positives from it but also some wasted time. Here is the biggest catch, the main members who should be recruiting and have the knowledge of other boards, won't lift a finger. For one GM's should be so on board with recruitment that they can't stop mentioning it. You as a GM should want drafts to be deep and for 3rd round picks to matter. Until that day we will never truly gain new members and until that day when someone says "We need to recruit" but has done shit all in that area, I will laugh and in fact shame them. I say this as someone wanting a change, not someone mad at our current member base. I am in the SHL, but I wouldn't consider myself someone who goes in an engages in discussion a lot. I have a player, I update him and I leave. A lot to learn from competitors. We pride ourselves on having a great community and being branded better than anyone, but whats the point if we don't share this little community with people who might be interested?

Edited by Kendrick

TIL I don't care about this site apparently

tbh I don't know how to recruit. I've asked everyone I know that likes fantasy sports if they wanna join and they've said nope. Other than that, I've gotten info from guys who went inactive and talked to bottas who I think set up that big reddit post, got bottas to come back for a bit, and helped Molholt bring Pandar here though admittedly Molholt did the heavy lifting. And so far that really hasn't done anything. So I reallly don't know how to recruit

Edited by ADwyer87

10 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

TIL I don't care about this site apparently

tbh I don't know how to recruit. I've asked everyone I know that likes fantasy sports if they wanna join and they've said nope. Other than that, I've gotten info from guys who went inactive and talked to bottas who I think set up that big reddit post, got bottas to come back for a bit, and helped Molholt bring Pandar here though admittedly Molholt did the heavy lifting. And so far that really hasn't done anything. So I reallly don't know how to recruit

I'm not saying people don't care about the site. They just don't take pride in it. The majority does shit all when it comes to recruitment. I've seen people talk about how low our member base is, but they have never done anything besides the TPE gained posting/upvoting threads. Go to message boards, be active on Twitter, engage on Reddit or even pop it in a reply on a youtube video. I've tried various avenues and some have worked and some have been a waste of time, but often times I think the majority just wants them to filter in organically.

5 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I'm not saying people don't care about the site. They just don't take pride in it. The majority does shit all when it comes to recruitment. I've seen people talk about how low our member base is, but they have never done anything besides the TPE gained posting/upvoting threads. Go to message boards, be active on Twitter, engage on Reddit or even pop it in a reply on a youtube video. I've tried various avenues and some have worked and some have been a waste of time, but often times I think the majority just wants them to filter in organically.

But that's how most things go. There is almost nothing in my life that I enjoy doing and then have to do their marketing for them. Most people don't do those kinds of things. For me, I'm honestly not very comfortable doing it - which is why I only ever really try to get people from other sim leagues to join. In my companies the recruitment and marketing is on the company, that's what people are used to - so I think the natural tendency is to assume the league will handle it. 

I agree that this is a different situation and that the member base has to be involved, but it isn't really a natural thing, I don't think.

I believe new alternatives would be better, so thinking out the box is something myself, @eaglesfan036 and the rest of the VHL have to come together and figure out. I know Eagles is regularly working, as am I searching for newer routes. However, making a section on here to the general public to post ideas etc wouldn't be bad so we can all discuss it etc.

SHL gets up votes quicker too because they have so many members.

Girlfriend may be studying a lot tonight so I may do a little bit of brainstorming again. Rough week :P 

2 hours ago, Molholt said:

But that's how most things go. There is almost nothing in my life that I enjoy doing and then have to do their marketing for them. Most people don't do those kinds of things. For me, I'm honestly not very comfortable doing it - which is why I only ever really try to get people from other sim leagues to join. In my companies the recruitment and marketing is on the company, that's what people are used to - so I think the natural tendency is to assume the league will handle it. 

I agree that this is a different situation and that the member base has to be involved, but it isn't really a natural thing, I don't think.

I get what you are saying, it's more so me pointing out the irony in some peoples words. I have seen people say that we need new members but yet they won't lift a finger. This isn't a company, thus you can't expect the "company" to do their own marketing. All I know si that a lot of words have been spoken but not a lot of actions been taken.

59 minutes ago, Banackock said:

I believe new alternatives would be better, so thinking out the box is something myself, @eaglesfan036 and the rest of the VHL have to come together and figure out. I know Eagles is regularly working, as am I searching for newer routes. However, making a section on here to the general public to post ideas etc wouldn't be bad so we can all discuss it etc.

SHL gets up votes quicker too because they have so many members.

Girlfriend may be studying a lot tonight so I may do a little bit of brainstorming again. Rough week :P 

They do but when I see 60 up votes and I know we have 60 active members, it shouldn't be that hard.

48 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I blame @DollarAndADream for spending his time in /r/watchitfortheplot rather than /r/fantasyhockey

Very true. This is what I get for giving away my Reddit account.

Although, if I could spam the fuck out of /r/fantasyhockey every day with VHL stuff, I would.

4 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Very true. This is what I get for giving away my Reddit account.

Although, if I could spam the fuck out of /r/fantasyhockey every day with VHL stuff, I would.

I have a separate reddit account for non-hockey stuff if you catch my drift. 

2 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I have a separate reddit account for non-hockey stuff if you catch my drift. 

I mean, I should have made a separate account, but my main one has more or less some kind of respectable activity. I doubt posting a thread would have gotten anywhere if I used some random one.

Also, I don't care much if you guys see my Reddit stuff. Yeah, a lot of it is me upvoting /r/celebs and /r/watchitfortheplot. I like hot bitches.

1 minute ago, DollarAndADream said:

I mean, I should have made a separate account, but my main one has more or less some kind of respectable activity. I doubt posting a thread would have gotten anywhere if I used some random one.

Also, I don't care much if you guys see my Reddit stuff. Yeah, a lot of it is me upvoting /r/celebs and /r/watchitfortheplot. I like hot bitches.

I guess I shouldn't have outed myself. Now I'm going to be expected to upvote twice. 

Honestly, why don't we post more on Dungeons and Dragons forums? Same basic concept, and some folks might be willing to go outside their comfort zone and try a new DnD experience.

Also it'd be a long shot but maybe recruiting on the STHS forum might get hits?

5 hours ago, gorlab said:

maybe we should follow SHLs lead and post in /r/twoxchromosomes and /r/socialjustice

Dont forget r/the_donald in your list of safe space subs :))

7 hours ago, mpclardy said:

Honestly, why don't we post more on Dungeons and Dragons forums? Same basic concept, and some folks might be willing to go outside their comfort zone and try a new DnD experience.

Also it'd be a long shot but maybe recruiting on the STHS forum might get hits?

We've already tried in the STHS forum. We might have killed our chances though because Bana posted and I already had a post, so they may have thought it as overkill.