Official UFC/Bellator/MMA Discussion Thread

Devise

I'm just gonna start this, maybe we'll generate enough discussions.

Who watched 206? Was a surprisingly good card, lots of strikers in there so I figured it'd be okay but after all the weight nonsense and pulled fights one didn't know. Swanson vs Choi was absolutely stellar, not just fight of the night but fight of the year contender for sure. But on top of that we had some crazy KO's, a brawl with Cerrone that also had a sick head kick, and Holloway dominated Petis (mostly). Was a pretty good night.

Holloway is a beast, I think he's going to beat Aldo for sure. It's kind of a shame that McGregor is 155 now because I really would of liked to see him vs Holloway. The movement and pressure of Max could give McGregors boxing some trouble. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Conor McGregor.....

Artem talks shit about Khabib, saying if he runs into him he'd smack him.

Khabib and his crew corner Artem in the hallways and make him look like a bitch. Khabib tells him no more talk bad about me.

Conor finds out, shows up at Barclay's Center with his crew from Ireland and run around looking for Khabib. They see he's in a bus coming back full of other fighters from the media day stuff. Obviously they don't let Conor in. Conor throws a fucking dolly at the window and smashes it, cutting up Michael Chiesa's face, and getting glass in Ray Borg's eye, also hitting Rose a little bit. Chiesa was all cut up, but was medically cleared to fight, but being at the hospital all day fucked up his weight cut...so his fight was cancelled. Borg's eye is fucked up so his fight is cancelled. Artem Lobov was involved in Conor's shenanigans, so his fight is cancelled.

Conor gets 3 fights cancelled with his dumb actions. Fighters are suing, and some other guy backstage who claims he got hit is suing. Conor getting charged with multiple things at the police station. Banned from fighting in NY. Not allowed at the fights Saturday.

Here's the megathread on Reddit, with the timeline and a bunch of videos too.

• 6 months later...

Hope none of you pay for the fights lol  /r/mmastreams dana white has enough money

Anyway, McGregor got embarrassed. Gonna be interesting to see how Dana White spins this when he used McGregor throwing a trolly at a bus and almost blinding someone as promo for the fight. Oh well. I like trash talk but when you attack a man's religion and family you might get bit in the ass by it. 

Edited by Tyler

18 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Hope none of you pay for the fights lol  /r/mmastreams dana white has enough money

Anyway, McGregor got embarrassed. Gonna be interesting to see how Dana White spins this when he used McGregor throwing a trolly at a bus and almost blinding someone as promo for the fight. Oh well. I like trash talk but when you attack a man's religion and family you might get bit in the ass by it. 

Hard agree. Khabib should not be condoned. Nor his teammate. They were classless attacks. But so was what McGregor did in NYC with the dolly. Allowing special treatment to stars because money is better than integrity eventually leads to a lack of integrity. Simple as that imo. 

33 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Imagine making a fight personal with a guy from one of the most unstable places on earth. Idiot. 

I know. Were UFC blind? Connor and his teammates starting talking the talk like they were legit street level thugs. Remember all the crap about Connor getting called about by the Irish mob? He then treated Khabibs camp like that. What was he oblivious that these guys are from a country where the difference between a tough guy and an ex-kgb is like....few and far between? Again not condoning Khabib. Or even Russia in this incident. But it was evident shit was about to boil over at some point.

The worst part was Dana defending all this shit in the post fight. He basically just outright said that it's thug shit, but that it's not his problem. Like fuck that. You booked these camps against each other and you don't put any sanctions on fighters who engage in this shit. His argument was suspension wouldn't cover it. How about bans? At this rate, with how much of a circus this and with the likelyhood that Khabib may not even be stripped which he wouldn't even confirm, it's possibly we even see a rematch between these two. The hatred of these two camps could lead to hones to god gunfights in the streets. That is how silly this all is. And UFC doens't seem to give a shit. They act disgusted when shit escalates to a new level, and then move on like it's all "part of the narrative." 

19 minutes ago, Devise said:

I know. Were UFC blind? Connor and his teammates starting talking the talk like they were legit street level thugs. Remember all the crap about Connor getting called about by the Irish mob? He then treated Khabibs camp like that. What was he oblivious that these guys are from a country where the difference between a tough guy and an ex-kgb is like....few and far between? Again not condoning Khabib. Or even Russia in this incident. But it was evident shit was about to boil over at some point.

The worst part was Dana defending all this shit in the post fight. He basically just outright said that it's thug shit, but that it's not his problem. Like fuck that. You booked these camps against each other and you don't put any sanctions on fighters who engage in this shit. His argument was suspension wouldn't cover it. How about bans? At this rate, with how much of a circus this and with the likelyhood that Khabib may not even be stripped which he wouldn't even confirm, it's possibly we even see a rematch between these two. The hatred of these two camps could lead to hones to god gunfights in the streets. That is how silly this all is. And UFC doens't seem to give a shit. They act disgusted when shit escalates to a new level, and then move on like it's all "part of the narrative." 

There's no need for a rematch. He made McGregor look foolish. No point. 

I was literally peeing when this went down. Had to get it all from Twitter after. Worst timing I think I've ever experienced.

The UFC should face some heat for facilitating and almost encouraging this shit. It's good to see guys getting arrested now, but they should have sat Connor down at some point and told him that he was pushing it too far leading up to the fight. It obviously helps hype up the fight though, so they lap it up.

If they actually allow a rematch, that would be embarrassing.

4 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

this fight

cf1f3a77e8d205508cb1666e3fd837655708b18f405cae9bcac416c46c73d836.png

I mean your basically trolling and I shouldn't be biting...but no lol.

There was only one round where Khabib didn't do damage to McGregor. He literally was pummeling him in some of the others with mean ground n pound. I called that shit a mile away though. Conor is a ranged boxer. It's one thing to go up against Alvarez or Mendes or other grapplers who are good, but Khabib isn't just good. Plus he can box too, he's just more complete. Connor needs more of a ground game, and I'm sure he realizes that now. Although with the circus who even knows what happens from here. It's just as likely that Khabib never fights again as it is we get a rematch because UFC is WWE these days. 

On 10/6/2018 at 11:01 PM, Tyler said:

I paid for them but only because I had a bunch of friends over and we went in on it. I didn't want to risk a stream going down or getting jittery. It's the first card I actually bought this year and didn't use /r/mmastreams. :P

44 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I paid for them but only because I had a bunch of friends over and we went in on it. I didn't want to risk a stream going down or getting jittery. It's the first card I actually bought this year and didn't use /r/mmastreams. :P

My stream never went out once lol. I always find it weird when people go to bars. Pay an arm and a leg for drinks/food AND pay a cover for the fight

3 hours ago, Tyler said:

My stream never went out once lol. I always find it weird when people go to bars. Pay an arm and a leg for drinks/food AND pay a cover for the fight

Yeah, I don't know. I just didn't want to risk it. Fight was too big. :lol: I mean, if I didn't have friends and shit coming over to watch it with me, I wouldn't have bought it, so there's that.

Sometimes I don't mind going to a restaurant for it though either. Nothing crazy, just something like Boston Pizza. The very strong majority of the time I'll just stream it, however.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:35 AM, Tyler said:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1048824424852410368

LOL had no idea one of the guys involved in this was supposed to fight here in Moncton. Oh well. It's way too expensive anyway.

That fight would have been pretty big too, if it happened. Lobov is Conor's training partner, and the other guy is Khabib's training partner.

14 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

That fight would have been pretty big too, if it happened. Lobov is Conor's training partner, and the other guy is Khabib's training partner.

Yeah it's super expensive but I wouldn't mind going if I could score free tickets somehow

9 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Which isn't always a bad thing IMO as long as it isn't scripted. 

The rematch between ex bestfriends where one quit their gym and shitkicked the other was pretty cool. That's a hype moment I can get behind. The shitkickee got beat up the second time around too.

I can't remember their names for the life of me though.