S52 Hall of Fame Induction

Advantage

This year we have one player being added to the Hall of Fame and one builder as well.  Lets take a look at who is being inducted (one of which has suffered a long wait):

C - Felix Peters, S24-S31:sea::hcd: 
575 GP, 331 G, 438 A, 769 P, +213, 265 PIM, 686 HIT, 233 SB, 62 GW, 55.08 FO%

S28 Howe Trophy (co-winner)
Two Continental Cups (S28, S31)

It has been a long wait for Felix Peters as he has been a consistent bridesmaid on the HOF Ballot for quite some time.  I honestly wasn't sure he would ever get in, not because of merit, but it just seemed there was always someone with slightly better numbers or a better awards cabinet.  Finally the time has come to honour this great forward by inducting him in the VHL Hall of Fame.  Felix Peters award cabinet doesn't describe how great he really was, and while he always seemed just a step behind one or two of his peers in award voting, he was a dominant playoff performer for the Seattle Bears on route to two Continental Cup victories in Season 28 and Season 31.  Even in the regular season though, Peters was quite the dominant presence.  Finishing with 769 points, he retired as the fifteenth top scorer of all-time and still sits to this day in the top thirty ever.  All in all, while he may have had to wait for quite some time on this accomplishment, I think Greg would agree it was worth the wait.  Congrats @gregreg!

Board of Governors Vote:

Felix Peters -- 9/17

---------------------------------

Wesley Kellinger - 7/17

Mike Szatkowski Jr. - 2/17

Additionally, as I previously stated, we are also inducting a builder this season.  This year we are inducting a member who is still very much a major part of this league.  Congratulations to Mitch Higgins on joining our illustrious builders list and being our builder induction in the Season 52 Hall of Fame class.  

I honestly don't even know where to start with Higgins.  His accomplishments in the league has been rather significant and have been vital to the league's prosperity over the years.  Lets start with his General Manager stints, including his current one with the Helsinki Titans.  He served as the GM for Helsinki from Season 30 to Season 36 and once again took over the team in Season 51.  While he doesn't have quite the longevity of some of the other past General Managers, the quality he has brought to the role is second to none.  Additionally he was also a VHLM GM for the Oslo Storm from Season 25 to Season 29, winning one Founder's Cup.  On top of all of this, he is also a five-time World Cup GM for Team Canada, leading them to one Silver Medal and one Bronze Medal.

Of course, it would be silly to induct Mitch Higgins without mentioning some of the players he has been an agent for.  His first player, Mitch Higgins, made the Hall of Fame after a long wait on the ballot (interestingly similar to Peters).  Higgins was a bit overlooked due to playing at the same time as Daniel Braxton, but accomplished quite a lot over an illustrious VHL career.  However, it was his next player, Tuomas Tukio, who would go down as his best yet.  Tukio broke the all-time TPE record and also had a career that rivals some of the greatest goaltenders of all-time.  He would move on to having a great career with James Faraday and is currently in the midst of the careers of future Hall of Fame defender, Black Velvet, and young franchise goaltender of the Wranglers, Jacob.

Finally, lets talk about Higgins time as a VHL Commish.  Mitch has been a rock for the administration crew ever since he joined the blue team and on this basis alone, he would go in as a builder.  While perhaps he doesn't stand out like Victor and Draper do, he does a lot of the behind the scenes work and been a significant part of the team helping the BOG and the rest of the blue team push this league forward.

Mitch Higgins has done a lot more than I have even mentioned.  He has been simming the VHLM for a while now, is a constant contributor in the Board of Governors and has just been a great member ever since he broke into the league in the early twenties.  Congratulations to @Higgins on being inducted into the VHL Hall of Fame as a builder.

Peters...for serious FINALLY. I've been on the advocate forever about changing our voting formula because of how lost in the shuffle this player has gotten. He IS a HoF caliber player and he's been waiting and waiting and waiting and he even almost didn't go in this season. Justworthy, while he might be one of the less notable names of his own era, his stats are great, and his award cabinet while it doesn't jump out of you is still acceptable. A worthy HoF player imo, and it's about god damn time.

Congrats to both Higgins and Greg, and I'll just say Higgins contributions to the VHLM and the stability he has brought to the league regardless of any outside forces has been as good as we can ask for. These are two great inductees here.