Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

Molholt

05173de.png

Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

Today the Toronto Legion make sure that no time is lost between doing what is right and deserved for its Legion faithful. The Toronto Legion are now the only team in league history to win three straight championships, and none of this would have happened without the leadership, guidance and ability of this player. The epitome of the type of player you want to build your team around and one of the lynchpins to my success as a GM, today I am honored as one of my last steps taken as a GM of this fantastic franchise to hang Zach Parechkin's #23 from the rafters!

----------

Zach was a start before he even came to Toronto, the S45 Mitch Higgins trophy winner in the VHLM for league MVP, leading the league in points and goals, and also bringing home the Matt Bentz trophy for top two-way forward, foreshadowing the type of career he'd have in the VHL. I selected him with the first overall pick in the ensuing draft, a draft that also featured Jeff Hamilton at the top of the class and a decision that was hard to make at the time. I selected Parechkin because I felt confident that he embodied the type of player I wanted to build around with the new Toronto Legion, and that decision paid dividends. 

Parechkin won rookie of the year that first season, coming into the league with 81 points and great chemistry with Max Molholt. The two would remain linemates until Max's retirement. It took us three seasons, but in S48 we won the conference for the first time, as well as the Victory Cup and finally, our first Continental Cup. Zach took home the Grimm Jonsson trophy that season to go along with his 92 points and 248 hits. That would be one of three Grimm Jonsson trophy's he would win in his career, picking up another the following season and a third in S51. After winning the Cup, we looked to repeat and Zach was a huge part of that, putting up 115 points and 393 hits, winning the Scott Boulet trophy as the best two-way forward for the first time. We didn't finish the regular season on top of the standings, but we finished the postseason that way on route to a repeat as champions - Parechkin was named the Daisuke Kanou trophy winner for Playoff MVP, notching 22 points and 65 hits. In S50 we would try for the impossible, to three-peat as champions, something that hadn't ever been done in the previous 49 seasons of the VHL. We won the Victory Cup and at season's end, hoisted the Continental Cup for the third time in a row, perhaps the greatest team accomplishment in league history. Despite this, we decided to test our luck one more time and make a run at an impossible four-peat. Parechkin was on fire that year, putting up a career high with 131 points and 434 hits. He led the league in goal scoring with 65 and was awarded his second Boulet trophy, but also the Brett Slobodzian trophy for Most Outstanding Player. We won our conference for the fourth time in a row, advancing to the Continental Cup but falling short in our last effort. Parechkin would remain in Toronto for one more season, a last ditch effort that saw us fall just short of the playoffs, Parechkin was still as solid as ever. 

In seven seasons with the Legion, Parechkin wore the "C" in every one of them. From a rookie to a seasoned veteran, he epitomized what it meant to be a member of the Legion. To lead, garner respect, compete and win. Parechkin is the embodiment of my goals as a GM - he's the ideal player and personality to build around and to win with. He deservedly brought home three Top Leader awards. He deservedly is recognized as a legendary two-way forward. He deservedly will be honored by the Toronto Legion for the rest of the league's existence. As he finishes his career, I wish him nothing but the best - Toronto thanks him for his years of service, the memories and the championships.

----------

Parechkin.png

----------

Zach Parechkin | Left Wing | Toronto Legion

504 GP | 327G | 347A | 674P | 72GWG | 2,419H

S48 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S49 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S50 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S51 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S48 Victory Cup - Regular Season Champions (TOR)
S50 Victory Cup - Regular Season Champions (TOR)
S48 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)
S49 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)
S50 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)

S46 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy - Top Rookie
S48 Grimm Jonsson Trophy - Top Leader (Co-Winner)
S49 Grimm Jonsson Trophy - Top Leader
S51 Grimm Jonsson Trophy - Top Leader (Co-Winner)
S49 Daisuke Kanou Trophy - Playoff MVP
S49 Scott Boulet Trophy - Top Two-Way Forward
S51 Scott Boulet Trophy - Top Two-Way Forward
S51 Kevin Brooks Trophy - Leading Goals
S51 Brett Slobodzian Trophy - Most Oustanding Player

Thanks a ton, Molholt. I'll always be lucky to have been on the team that you built, and continued to build into a contender throughout your time at the helm of the Legion. Being on the Legion might have spoiled us all! I'm not sure if I will ever top that out with any other player.

Max Molholt and Zach Parechkin to me will forever be one of the top duos to beat.