Debate #3 - Manziel: Flash in the Pan?

Manziel: Flash in the Pan?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Johnny Football is heading to the NFL.

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel declared for the NFL draft on Wednesday following two spectacular seasons in which he became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy and helped the Aggies make a splash in their first two years in the Southeastern Conference.

Looks like Johnny "Football" Manziel is headed to the NFL and will partake in the draft upcoming this June. Mock drafts have him every where from 3rd overall to Undrafted. There are many questions about Manziel and some have said he won't cut it when it comes to the NFL. There are also some that think he could be the next Fran Tarkenton/Russell Wilson style QB.

So do you believe Johnny Manziel will be a future starting QB, or will he end up at the same grocery store Kurt Warner was bagging for? Let us know and even comment if you would like!

VHL Debate Stats

Debate #1 - 12 Voters

Debate #2 - 3 Voters

Debate #3 - ?

Considering Russell Wilson is a middling quarterback on a team that is built to succeed without him, being the next "Russell Wilson" isn't really what I would consider a high ceiling.  Fran Tarkington maybe.  Either way this guy has proven himself over the last 2 years and would be fun to watch in the pros...  Plus, has the intangibles that you would look for.

Low-end starter, high-end backup with the confidence to be plugged in when necessary. No Brady/Manning, but no Seneca Wallace either. 

DONT YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT SENECA WALLACE….actually say anything you want about him. He ain't on our roster anymore.

Manziel is a good qb for marketing purposes.. Hell he might even turn into something.. but I'm skeptical.. plus the teams who would probably draft him probably will stunt his growth.. I hope he makes it, like I hope everyone makes it, but i am really unsure about him

I think he will thrive in todays NFL. In a league where the athletic QB is just catching fire, I think Manziel will become a hell of a player given the right situation. He's got a hell of an arm, can escape like no other since Tarkenton, and has the killer instinct you want in a QB. While a team will have to totally change it's offense to compliment Manziel's game, it could pay off very nicely in the long run.

I wouldn't use my first pick to draft him imo

De'anthony Thomas second round pick for the eagles  :cheers:

Thomas is s gamechanger. He won't fall that far, but he won't be a top 10.

thomas won't be a 1st rounder. He wasn't a gamechanger at oregon this year imo.

Not this year because their season went a tad differently. Teams don't just look at the final year of a player though. Thomas is like Randall Cobb or McCluster in the sense that he has big play gains when the ball is in his hand, but you won't really give it to him every play. He missed 4 games this season so it was an off year. However he will be a late first round pick. He won't fall to the Eagles, teams will make sure Kelly doesn't get his hands on him.

This could be right

a late first rounder or an early second rounder.

Thomas is so nice to watch and so explosive with his speed. Pure oregon player.

He is very system based. He will only work in so many schemes, but I'm sure a team can fit him in. That being said he has a burst like no one I've seen come out of college in a while

Thomas is s gamechanger. He won't fall that far, but he won't be a top 10.

He's being projected as a 3rd to 5th round player so far. His smaller size (more the less-than-180-lb frame than his height) combined with his nagging injury issues in college are scaring off teams so far. I'm surprised he declared this year.

He's being projected as a 3rd to 5th round player so far. His smaller size (more the less-than-180-lb frame than his height) combined with his nagging injury issues in college are scaring off teams so far. I'm surprised he declared this year.

Yeah I've seen him all over the board. But mainly as a late first. Lacy scared guys too

But as we've seen with Ray Rice this year, speedier backs can be killed by those nagging injuries.

Oh of course. I don't think he will be drafted as a running back. He will be drafted as a receiver like Cobb was.

But as we've seen with Ray Rice this year, speedier backs can be killed by those nagging injuries.

Did you just compare Ray Rice to speedy running backs?  http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=RB

Edit: He didn't even run the 40 in the combine, not sure how this conclusion was made.

Edited by frescoelmo

Did you just compare Ray Rice to speedy running backs?  http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=RB

Edit: He didn't even run the 40 in the combine, not sure how this conclusion was made.

Must you jump on me for every little thing? You know what I meant, agile backs that rely less on power. Jesus.

EDIT: Anyway, Ray Rice's 4.42 40 time isn't that bad. Think about how many starting RBs are better than that. In the AFC, CJ Spiller, Lamar Miller (slightly), Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and then Darren McFadden and MJD (but I doubt these two are as fast anymore) ran better 40sm so while Rice may not be the fastest guy he's still one of the fastest feature backs in the AFC.

Edited by Muffins

Must you jump on me for every little thing? You know what I meant, agile backs that rely less on power. Jesus.

I don't think he was jumping on you. You do tend to like debating every little thing when it comes to Football though.

EDIT: Anyway, Ray Rice's 4.42 40 time isn't that bad. Think about how many starting RBs are better than that. In the AFC, CJ Spiller, Lamar Miller (slightly), Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and then Darren McFadden and MJD (but I doubt these two are as fast anymore) ran better 40sm so while Rice may not be the fastest guy he's still one of the fastest feature backs in the AFC.

Read up on his combine profile.  "Lacks prototype breakaway speed, especially for his size".  That being said, 4.42 (unofficial) is good, but would you consider guys like Matt Forte, Rashard Mendenhall and Johnathan Stewart slower than him simply because of their fourties?  And that is just in the 2008 class.  It tells a pretty good story if a running back doesn't run the fourty, short of injuries.  He ran the 20-yard and 3-cone so I'd guess there was nothing wrong.  Agile is also different than speed, the former of which yeah I'd tend to agree.

I don't think he was jumping on you. You do tend to like debating every little thing when it comes to Football though.

Always stirring the pot Kendrick!!!  :P