No-One's Talking About This Strange Statistical Trend, But We Think They Should!

Tagger

Players with 15 or more shutouts Season 1 - Season 48 - One (CAL G - 19)

Players with 15 or more shutouts Season 49 - Present Day - Eight (Sandro Clegane x2, Greg Clegane x3, Ilya Kopralkov, Ariel Weinstein, Jakab Holik)

If there's anything that could be used to indicate that there's far too many easy victories in the VHL nowadays, this statistical trend is probably up there as something to be used in that argument. Now, let's be clear, none of these players are bad goalies by any means, but there have been goalies of equal or greater talent that haven't even gotten close to these tallies. Tuomas Tuukio, Hans Wingate, Brick Wahl, Remy Lebeau were all Hall of Fame goalies who've played their entire careers in a ten-team VHL, and none of them have ever got higher than 13 shutouts. Frighteningly, second year goalie Rhett DeGrath has had 14 shutouts so far this season.

So, is the VHL lacking competition? I mean I could have told you that without this statistic, but yes. The answer is yes. 

Just now, Da Trifecta said:

Either that or the goalie have just been getting better by the generation

Worse actually. Shutouts are up because more teams shoot sub 20 shots on net regularly enough that even 300 TPE goalies can stop 10 shots on net. 

But considering how save percentage stats have been so low I'd say all of it is linked to too many CPU players getting too many minutes across the league lol. 

10 minutes ago, Devise said:

Worse actually. Shutouts are up because more teams shoot sub 20 shots on net regularly enough that even 300 TPE goalies can stop 10 shots on net. 

But considering how save percentage stats have been so low I'd say all of it is linked to too many CPU players getting too many minutes across the league lol. 

Well that really blows. Just when I get excited about making another goalie, this goes and happens.

• Commissioner
15 minutes ago, Da Trifecta said:

Either that or the goalie have just been getting better by the generation

I would love to say that's the case but it really isn't.

Like it's been pointed out above, shot totals are way down. Looking at S35, for example, a season with arguably good goalies in it; the average number of shots faced by the league's top 10 goalies is 1944 with all of them more or less hovering around that. Compared that to this season where we are currently sitting at an average of 1604 (with some goalies facing 400+ shots fewer than the average) and it's a pretty startling number. Yeah, they had played the full season and we've played (mostly) 56 games but that's still pretty darn close for such a wide gap. Teams would have to average 42 shots per game for the rest of the season to make up that gap.

Don't get me wrong, as a goalie I like the easy 7 shot shutouts but it is fairly obvious that the league's offense is lacking.

Edited by Beketov

• Admin
1 hour ago, Devise said:

:eyebrow:

2d9d7a0.png

7 minutes ago, Victor said:

:eyebrow:

2d9d7a0.png

Retired players with higher TPE from the previously era don't count. We are talking past you. Also Edwin plays back up so he doesn't really count. Coming in your team gives up 4+ goals isn't really the same as some of the other players you listed. Consistently, as a group, goalies are doing worse from a save percentage standpoint. Wingate obviously  had some crazy seasons, but your looking also at career numbers here not so individual seasons. We've seen seasons in the past where finishing above .935 has happened. I mean Clegane did it in S49. This current group of goalies is so young, but even players like Holik are feeling the effects of low shot totals. 

• Admin
Just now, Devise said:

Retired players with higher TPE from the previously era don't count. We are talking past you. Also Edwin plays back up so he doesn't really count. Coming in your team gives up 4+ goals isn't really the same as some of the other players you listed. Consistently, as a group, goalies are doing worse from a save percentage standpoint. Wingate obviously  had some crazy seasons, but your looking also at career numbers here not so individual seasons. We've seen seasons in the past where finishing above .935 has happened. I mean Clegane did it in S49. This current group of goalies is so young, but even players like Holik are feeling the effects of low shot totals. 

2 hours ago, Salt said:

Players with 15 or more shutouts Season 49 - Present Day - Eight (Sandro Clegane x2, Greg Clegane x3, Ilya Kopralkov, Ariel Weinstein, Jakab Holik)

6 out of 8 are S45 goalies.

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, Victor said:

6 out of 8 are S45 goalies.

Its cuz we had too many good defensemen.

Actually something to look at would be how many forwards in recent eras have been maxing defense as opposed to prior?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, tfong said:

Its cuz we had too many good defensemen.

Actually something to look at would be how many forwards in recent eras have been maxing defense as opposed to prior?

there were barely any good defencemen. Refer back to save % screenshot.

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Victor said:

Dunno man, Kyanon played during that time and he cleared pucks as long as the goalie stopped the first shot.

6 minutes ago, Victor said:

I dunno, Greg Clegane faced nearly 1500 shots less than Hans Wingate despite only playing 7 less games. Someone must of been blocking shots. Inflated stats I think for Clegane here obv. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Devise said:

I dunno, Greg Clegane faced nearly 1500 shots less than Hans Wingate despite only playing 7 less games. Someone must of been blocking shots. Inflated stats I think for Clegane here obv. 

Yeah Wingate didn't make the playoffs a couple times you see.

3 minutes ago, STZ said:

cummin fer ur records VHL

Going to be tough if we allow Edwin to feature on that list. He's going to shatter all records all time playing the role he's in. He'll probably end up getting an * besides his name and not declared the official record holder. 

20 minutes ago, Devise said:

Going to be tough if we allow Edwin to feature on that list. He's going to shatter all records all time playing the role he's in. He'll probably end up getting an * besides his name and not declared the official record holder. 

I was talkin the SO in a single season list..