Claimed:What's going on with VHLM?

I'm about to go sleep...but @evrydayimbyfuglien doesn't allows me to do that, because I need to wait for his opinion on my DC for an SBA event. Sad lyf.

2Q==

*something is unclear...*

But I still have some words to say. Let's talk about the VHLM once again. There are some talks lately about the cutting the whole league and we even had a chance to voice our opinions via vote. Majority of voters said no to removing the VHLM (11 to 4) and I guess it's not so bad in juniors. Well, it's a little bit weird that the Commishes cuts the VHLM to 7 teams to make the league more competitive, yet we have 4 sucker teams who are going to be swept in playoffs - but let's leave that. The lack of players in juniors? Not that bad imo, the S55 draft looks fine so far. But my thread is about the members who are responsible for teaching the first gens or returnees and keeping them in this league.

VHLM GM's.

I had a fun to work in Bratislava, especially when the VHLM had @The Bread Man. But now I'm GM'ing Riga and that means we have a new juniors manager. Or...? Ok, let's look at the list of general managers and analyze them first.

@Smarch (Brampton). The current VHLM Commish and Brampton GM. Right now I think he's doing a good job and seems like he won't go away in near future at least.

@Streetlite (Yukon). I can argue about the LR activity, but right now I see he's going to stay there for 2-3 seasons at least.

@BobertZ (Bern). He's been quiet so far, but that shouldn't come as a surprise - Bern is the bottom feeder team. The team is going to compete in next season, then we're going to watch his commitment level.

@JardyB10 (Ottawa). He's been on fire in this season. He's the first who started to recruit players, including two first gens. His team also is being a powerhouse (thanks to Locke). However, there are some rumors that he doesn't wants to stay there for a long time. He even said that in public, and even though he wasn't the next GM who stepped down because of obvious reasons, I do think he is saying the truth which means we will have to find the new GM for Ottawa somewhere in the future.

Well, you think Ottawa has an unclear future? Watch this out.

@TheLastOlympian07 (Saskatoon). Adwyer once again rage-quitted from VHL and it seems like he's gone for a long time, if not forever. Who took the Wild? StevenStamkos91, the member who was Oslo GM one season ago. And this thing makes me think, that TLO basically is the backup VHLM GM - he will come and save the team if something bad happens, but will he stay long there? That's a big question imo.

@Scooter (Oslo). Last login -  last Wednesday. Typical burnout imo. Maybe he will come back, but I don't think he's going to manage Oslo after this season.

And the most hilarious part:

BRATISLAVA GM -

Who's the GM? Maybe it's... @Nobody? Oh wait, there's a member with that nickname? Nevermind...I just meant nobody even applied for the Bratislava GM job. But the most saddest part of this thing is although I technically stepped down from the Watchmen, I feel like I'm still running this team. Which makes me a 2-team GM. I made some bids on players earlier and even made a trade with Brampton while being a Riga GM already, because I couldn't allow a situation when an active player experiences a first round exit. That's not wassup.

Does that means VHLM is done? Not yet. One successful recruiting campaign - and the league is ballin'. Will that happen - that's the another question to answer, but there always a hope. And I certainly didn't mean that league is doomed, so I'm not accepting the complaints, @Jericho. By the way, he's the one who suggested to cut the VHLM, so he might be interested in this thread.

Also, APPLY FOR A GM JOB, GAHDAMMIT!!!!

That's it and I'm out.

6 TPE goes to Petenis.

7 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I did apply, but was shot down because it would bring too much excitement.

In order to ensure we cut the VHLM, we are now engaged in a back door war. This, and many other moves said to be secretly undergone by league officials is in the hope that eventually the tired few who continue to stand up for the VHLM eventually surrender. Consider what eventually happened to the Natives when Americans destroyed their culture by killing off all their buffalo. 

#Shadytactics

Although for real I will say @hedgehog337 having no GM on one team may be bad, but at least the rest of the GM's listed are active well known members, save for Scooter who seems to be one of our more promising first gens. So in terms of VHLM league health I'd say it's not that bad. I think it's been worse. The team reduction strategy did have an impact, and if it goes that way again probably will continue too. The question is will it be enough of an impact in the long term? Honestly I have a feeling eventually people will realize that it needs to be cut, it's just not an effective intro to the league no matter how many times we change or tinker with it. But since more people voted to stick with it, we stick with it. 

Edited by Devise

#MakeVHLMGreatAgain

I loved GMing Bratislava for the 5 seasons that I did. I really liked the way the VHLM worked and got into a cycle of it all. If it wasn't for the Bears knocking on my door, I'd probably still be the Watchmen's GM (need to hire GM's like that imo. Not ones who stay for 2 seasons than piss off).

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

I did apply, but was shot down because it would bring too much excitement.

Right...

No, not right. You were shot down for legitimate reasons which were given to you. To my knowledge, you were never shot down as being a GM just the proposal at the time.

Just now, Will said:

Right...

No, not right. That is a lie. You were shot down for legitimate reasons which were given to you. 

Let me GM the Watchmen in the mean time tbh. or whoever.

21 minutes ago, Devise said:

That would be fixing a symptom, not treating the actual problem; the actual problem being this leagues inability to retain new members in comparison to other sim leagues. Thankfully I know some people (@Kendrick) are studying this with surveys I believe.

Just now, Corco said:

That would be fixing a symptom, not treating the actual problem; the actual problem being this leagues inability to retain new members in comparison to other sim leagues. Thankfully I know some people (@Kendrick) are studying this with surveys I believe.

I actually think it's the other way around. If the problem is member retention, how is maintaining a juniors league somehow better for retention than worse? Even in leagues with the member base to support a minor league equivalent, you will always have a more divided member base with two leagues. Always. Even in the best of scenarios there will be members who prefer or enjoy one league better than the other. And since it's a "minor" league, the majority of active players will always be battling to get out of it. 

With one league, all members are together. No division. For retention that is huge. Because remember, our statistics show that we have a much harder time getting people to get out of the VHLM and come to the VHL then we do translating the members who do make it out of the VHLM to full time members. Because the majority of the league cares more about the teams, history, stats, records, games, everything in the main league. 

I'd argue this is a more prominent point here than say the SHL or other leagues because our biggest strength is our community. We want to get people involved with the goings on around the league, and you have a much greater chance of getting that engagement without the division. Even things down to a media spot in the VHLM will get less responses because that person would be talking about VHLM teams, VHLM stats. Where as people talking about the league happenings of the VHL generally get more feedback. 

Even if we were to grow our member base, which we all want to do I'd argue it's better for us to be in one place. Just add more teams when they fill up way past the 6/4/1 system we have. We also wouldn't be dividing our attention or resources as it relates to problems either. There was a point where I was more open to VHLM changes, and I"m still leaving that in the hands of the pros (Blue Team, VHLM commish etc) but after enough attempts to tinker and fix and change. I just feel we don't tinker nearly as much with the VHL as we do the VHLM and it's had a much better track record of GM's, engagement, involvement. Why not just let new players experience that? 

10 minutes ago, Devise said:

I actually think it's the other way around. If the problem is member retention, how is maintaining a juniors league somehow better for retention than worse? Even in leagues with the member base to support a minor league equivalent, you will always have a more divided member base with two leagues. Always. Even in the best of scenarios there will be members who prefer or enjoy one league better than the other. And since it's a "minor" league, the majority of active players will always be battling to get out of it. 

With one league, all members are together. No division. For retention that is huge. Because remember, our statistics show that we have a much harder time getting people to get out of the VHLM and come to the VHL then we do translating the members who do make it out of the VHLM to full time members. Because the majority of the league cares more about the teams, history, stats, records, games, everything in the main league. 

I'd argue this is a more prominent point here than say the SHL or other leagues because our biggest strength is our community. We want to get people involved with the goings on around the league, and you have a much greater chance of getting that engagement without the division. Even things down to a media spot in the VHLM will get less responses because that person would be talking about VHLM teams, VHLM stats. Where as people talking about the league happenings of the VHL generally get more feedback. 

Even if we were to grow our member base, which we all want to do I'd argue it's better for us to be in one place. Just add more teams when they fill up way past the 6/4/1 system we have. We also wouldn't be dividing our attention or resources as it relates to problems either. There was a point where I was more open to VHLM changes, and I"m still leaving that in the hands of the pros (Blue Team, VHLM commish etc) but after enough attempts to tinker and fix and change. I just feel we don't tinker nearly as much with the VHL as we do the VHLM and it's had a much better track record of GM's, engagement, involvement. Why not just let new players experience that? 

fuck I just got 3-paragraphed

What stipulations would you put in place regarding drafting, contracts, etc. if you were to completely remove the VHLM?

Edited by Corco

3 minutes ago, Corco said:

fuck I just got 3-paragraphed

What stipulations would you put in place regarding drafting, contracts, etc. if you were to completely remove the VHLM?

I don't know fully. But you'd have to increase TPE at the start for first gens to probably above 100. 150 maybe and then still give them bonus doubles on first few point tasks to give them an opportunity to get to 200 early. Then you'd increase carry over percentages and cap that at a higher number like 175 or 200. I think extending careers to ten possible seasons is something that has seen support, and would work very well with a remove the VHLM change.

In terms of how players go places you could waiver wire, or the system the VHLM uses where people can offer contracts to players and it eats up cap is probably smart as well. But drafting doesn't need to change. Waiver wire players who come in after a cutoff date for a seasons draft, and then declare them for the next season. We basically already do that, it's just we stick said players in the VHLM. This would have them waiver to a team in the VHL instead. 

Actually I was shot down because there is some in behind shit no one knows about that is being kept silent. Also, I was responded to 2 weeks after I applied (shows you how they work).

Also, I'm done explaining anything recruiting wise or retention wise when it doesn't come from up top. Apparently our recruiting team is doing a good enough job where nothing is ever initiated from the higher ups. This league isn't in as bad shape as they would make you believe. We're coasting, not progressing.

Edited by Kendrick

12 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Also, I'm done explaining anything recruiting wise or retention wise when it doesn't come from up top. Apparently our recruiting team is doing a good enough job where nothing is ever initiated from the higher ups. This league isn't in as bad shape as they would make you believe. We're coasting, not progressing.

quit-your-bitchin.gif

I've had a couple off weeks where I've done media spots instead (two?). Plus, who even is the recruiting team? Should be the entire league imo. 

2 minutes ago, Banackock said:

quit-your-bitchin.gif

I've had a couple off weeks where I've done media spots instead (two?). Plus, who even is the recruiting team? Should be the entire league imo. 

What's funny is every time I speak up you state that people need to chill out or quit their bitchin. Head Recruiting job is something that regardless of off weeks needs to be at least looked at every week. Take 1-2 weeks off is great, but actively trying to get people needs to a committed action. You were given access to the VHL Facebook account and promptly...didn't do anything. We haven't seen a Recruitment drive done since you took over, no reward based recruitment contest done in that time and also have yet to see any advertisements being paid for by our league that you have brought forward. Now in all honesty, not all of that is a solo job but you should be posturing the right people to help you do those. (i.e. getting funds for advertisements, asking the blue team for feedback on potential recruitment contests). The thing is though, is that all your work has largely been hidden in a sub forum or quietly gone about. Recruitment isn't something to be quiet about, go shot it out any chance you get. Recruit for this league, not for some affiliates league that you just joined. It all looks very very lacklustre in rewards to what is being put forward and thus we sit here with the same stale member base we've had.

• Senior Admin
36 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Actually I was shot down because there is some in behind shit no one knows about that is being kept silent. Also, I was responded to 2 weeks after I applied (shows you how they work).

you're a BOG member where you could/still can see everything that was being discussed as far as VHLM changes go... I'm not sure how it's outrageous to decline a relocation when team changes are pending. As for the response time, idk what to tell you, the 3 of us discussed the matter privately and I guess there was a miscommunication in relaying that to you. I explained that it was an accident and apologized for it, which was sincere, and I also explained our reasoning and told you we could consider the relocation after the dust was settled. 

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

What's funny is every time I speak up you state that people need to chill out or quit their bitchin. Head Recruiting job is something that regardless of off weeks needs to be at least looked at every week. Take 1-2 weeks off is great, but actively trying to get people needs to a committed action. You were given access to the VHL Facebook account and promptly...didn't do anything. We haven't seen a Recruitment drive done since you took over, no reward based recruitment contest done in that time and also have yet to see any advertisements being paid for by our league that you have brought forward. Now in all honesty, not all of that is a solo job but you should be posturing the right people to help you do those. (i.e. getting funds for advertisements, asking the blue team for feedback on potential recruitment contests). The thing is though, is that all your work has largely been hidden in a sub forum or quietly gone about. Recruitment isn't something to be quiet about, go shot it out any chance you get. Recruit for this league, not for some affiliates league that you just joined. It all looks very very lacklustre in rewards to what is being put forward and thus we sit here with the same stale member base we've had.

Yeah, my account that I used to go on it was "locked" for whatever reason by Facebook. 

1. Didn't know I could hand out recruitment drives and TPE? A recruitment drive is a no-brainer. Shouldn't have to bring it up to the blue team.

2. You told me to post my shit in the sub forum - so I did. Last couple weeks, I've been busy with life, other leagues etc and have not had the time. I could of made up some bullshit and lied about recruiting, or been honest and just done media spots and a free week, lol.

You seem to be very vocal on the issue each and every time and seem to come knocking on my door about a majority of issues extending from just this. Why not do something about it? @Will tired of listening to him complain and criticize. I'll gladly step down if you please hire Kendrick. 

Pretty much goes both ways. What's bitching on a subforum gonna do? Why not do something if you care obviously to this extent?

10 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

honestly, be recruitment leader. Very vocal and seem to have ideas and such. Always commenting and what not. Not looking for drama, but do it then. I got way too much on the go between leagues, the VHL and life.