Claimed:top 4 of the draft

It has been quite some time since we had a draft as strong as this one. The playoffs seem pretty set in stone with the Toronto Legion, HC Davos Dynamo, Riga Reign all set to miss the playoff this season with the Calgary Wranglers set to join them. So let's take a look at who these non playoff teams might take in the draft.

Toronto Legion: Torstein Ironside

The Toronto Legion are the worst team in the VHL right now but not by much and they will most likely be picking first. They will be forced to take Ironside who has very strong ties to the new Toronto GM. This means they would have to pass up on Markus King who is the top goalie practice hours wise but that does not mean Ironside doesn't have the potential to be one of the best in the league during his time with Toronto. He is currently the 3rd best prospect that is available for drafting but we know he will go to Toronto no matter where they pick whether it is 1st or 2nd.

HC Davos Dynamo: Center Fook Yu

The Dynamo are set at goalie with mist4ke in net so they likely take a pass on Markus King. So they take the next best available player who is Fook Yu. He will be a very nice building block for a franchise that has been in limbo for awhile now. Ever since Season 50 they haven't improved much nor have they gotten any worse and have just been stagnant until now, where they will possibly get 2nd overall which would be very good for them as they need a Center to build around and the very consistent agency of Fook Yu's will do the trick.

Helsinki Titans: Aleksi Fedorov

Helsinki owns the Wranglers 1st round pick which could potentially turn into anywherefrom 1st to 4th overall and they would be very happy to select Aleksi Fedorov with the 3rd overall pick. Black Velvet isn't getting any younger and that defense core is getting up there with them so Fedorov as a draft pick gifted to them would be very beneficial to the team. It is interesting because another team here will pass on Markus King because they already have a nice young goaltender by the name of Astrid Moon tending the nets and he will only get better as the seasons progress. Very interesting to see how one player getting named GM messed up the draft for another player as is the case with DaaD and Kendrick.

Riga Reign: Markus King

Finally at 4th overall we have Markus King getting selected. Reign's current goaltender is Dmitri Dadonov who will be 2 seasons away from forced retirement next season so it would be very smart of Riga to take the best player available at 4th overall. He will be a big plus to the franchise who hasn't seen steady goaltending since the days of Sandro Clegane and before Clegane, I can't even remember a goalie who didn't live up to expectations. They have kind of been like the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers in terms of being a good team with not that good goaltending. King will change that.

Conclusion:

The fall of a King is all due to Ironside having to be drafted by Toronto and not King. So that is a interesting storyline and how about Calgary giving up 3rd overall at least for Jacob when in this draft they could have taken Markus King to be their franchise goalie instead of trading for Jacob who has less practice hours than King. What about Dynamo getting another respectable player to build around in Fook Yu after taking mist4ke last season. Also what about another goalie Vernon Von Axelberry or center Shawn Gretzky or defenseman Hudson Abbott or the top ranked winger Rudolf Schmeckdorf as all who have more than 100 practice hours. It will be a very strong 1st round this season and this is the influx of youth the VHL needed.

FOR GRETZKY

28 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

So if Ironside has to go to Toronto because he is the GM, what's to stop the Legion from picking Ironside with their last pick of the draft?

I thought for sure they would have to use their first but I see nothing in the rules stating they do

9 hours ago, punkhippie said:

So if Ironside has to go to Toronto because he is the GM, what's to stop the Legion from picking Ironside with their last pick of the draft?

I mean technically they could let him go and pick elsewhere, but his 2nd player would then be a recreate for Toronto. Aka Ironside doesn't have to be picked by Toronto, but when he recreates after Parechkin he has to have that player in Toronto.

10 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I mean technically they could let him go and pick elsewhere, but his 2nd player would then be a recreate for Toronto. Aka Ironside doesn't have to be picked by Toronto, but when he recreates after Parechkin he has to have that player in Toronto.

I meant they could go take Fook Yu 1st overall and then take Ironside in the 2nd or 3rd round right?

6 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I meant they could go take Fook Yu 1st overall and then take Ironside in the 2nd or 3rd round right?

That would be a terrible risk as Toronto has one shot at getting 2 players owned by the Gm

1 hour ago, punkhippie said:

Nope they'd have to snatch him up well before that.

• Head Moderator

Also who the hell would want a defensive forward as their first pick anyways? If people haven't been listening I'm planning to build my defensive stats first lol.

15 minutes ago, tfong said:

Also who the hell would want a defensive forward as their first pick anyways? If people haven't been listening I'm planning to build my defensive stats first lol.

Consistent and reliable TPE earner goes a long way

On 2017-03-09 at 7:54 AM, punkhippie said:

As Higgins said, if I use my draft pick on Ironside in the 1st round, then Ironside would go to Toronto as a draftee, not as a GM Player. Then, Parechkin's recreate would go to Toronto as a GM Player. So both of my players would be in Toronto, and basically if I earn a lot of TPE with both of them then Toronto should stay decent with other members revolving around them.

I'd be banking a lot of the franchise on myself, obviously.

If Ironside gets taken before I can, that's totally fine too. Although, I don't expect to go 1st if I don't have 1st overall.