Game of Thrones

Victor

Well.... some of that seemed rushed. I've never liked the movies or shows were you destroy the leader and the followers die. Very anti climactic. 

Feel bad for Theon. Probably the shittiest existence in the whole show, then he dies like 2 minutes before the day is saved. 

Hopefully they all really and March on kings landing now. 

Good episode, awesome battle sequences specifically when Melisandre lit all the Dothraki swords on fire then they charge and get decimated.

Ending was unfortunately very predictable as my above post said that the living would be overwhelmed, and just as it looks like they are about to lose the Nights King dies (This wasn't a bold prediction I'm sure many people guessed this). I didn't think it would be Arya, as what happened to the whole Azor Ahai prophecy? 

9 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Good episode, awesome battle sequences specifically when Melisandre lit all the Dothraki swords on fire then they charge and get decimated.

Ending was unfortunately very predictable as my above post said that the living would be overwhelmed, and just as it looks like they are about to lose the Nights King dies (This wasn't a bold prediction I'm sure many people guessed this). I didn't think it would be Arya, as what happened to the whole Azor Ahai prophecy? 

Yeah it was specifically Arya saving the day that felt off to me. A character whose plotline had zero to do with white walkers up until this point. That and I was really expecting a few more important deaths. Felt like the writers were holding back. 

Well, just finished it. What the shit. Good episode. Good battles. Kept it tense. Really thought ____ was a goner there and then, boom... 

now I just have a lot of questions which I mean, Is great that the show caused that. 

In terms of the battle itself, that was pretty damn epic for television. I thought the episode was lit af.

Ending was meh. Of course I would've preferred Jon Snow 1v1'ing the Night King out in an epic honorable duel, but it is what it is. Arya is an important character and has probably had the most character development of anyone in the show and I can somewhat believe the "miracle" circumstances of her killing the Night King in terms of the story. You have this unstoppable powerful force like the Night King, and you basically need a miracle to happen to somehow overcome it. It works for me, ish.

The feels for Jorah and Theon though. :mayweathercry:

2 hours ago, Matmenzinger said:

That and I was really expecting a few more important deaths. Felt like the writers were holding back. 

I'd trade 2-3 important characters to get my boy

Dolorous Edd

back

I really dug the episode. Had no issues with the color or contrast stuff but got a very good TV here so never really had issues with artifact or other color complaints. 

I totally get the people who didn't vibe the episode, but if you didn't like it because the "plot armor" characters had plot armor....wouldn't you of been thrilled with the conclusion? Color me confused, but last I checked all the shows plot armor always came from the magical sources, and it almost always had something to do with Bran, Lord of Light, and the Night King pretty much. It was all magic tied. So much of the Battle of Winterfell very much felt like Bran put those chess pieces in place to give him enough time to do (whatever he was doing while he wargging, it showed birds flying but he was gone a while and we got very little substance of what he was doing after that). 

Like literally the "wine club" group all pined about how they almost shouldn't be here, and every single one of them played pivotal roles in various aspects that ultimately led to the Night Kings demise. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't expecting the Night King's threat to last an episode after he finally showed up. But the more I think on it, the more I think how perfect that is. It's so Thrones. Plot armor is going to be gone so fast now guys, it totally is. Bran doesn't give a shit about the characters he just used to help defeat the Night King. How many times has he said "Brandon Stark is dead." He's totally going to fuck off and/or do more magic shit while everyone gets killed by Cersei, because he probably could care less about who actually sits on the Iron Throne. 

Now that the "purpose" surrounding so many of these "heroes" is gone I could easily see the show killing them off. Them wrapping up the Night King stuff in an episode is very telling imo. 

Edited by Devise

I hope they show what Bran was doing in these next 3 episodes. He just says, "I'm leaving" in the middle of battle and all it shows is him following around NK. I hope he was doing more than that.

All that fuss over Valyrian Steel swords too. Really put forward that only they could kill the White Walkers, and threw it at you the specific people that had these swords/dagger, when none of them even really mattered. The only time they were used was by Jon with Longclaw when he killed a WW, and one that they killed when they went to kidnap a wight. No other WW's even had to be fought. All of them just died off when NK died so there wasn't really any significance to the swords other than Jon's, really.

So much dumb battle strategy in the episode too, especially the siege weapons. Who the fuck puts siege weapons at the front of the line, and they only used them once? They're supposed to be in the back or behind castle walls. :lol:

I did really enjoy the episode though. What a huge episode. Pretty dark for TV though, and hard to see at times, but that's probably the point they might have wanted to hammer home.

I also found it funny how Melisandre just lit some fires and then peaced out.

7 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I also found it funny how Melisandre just lit some fires and then peaced out.

Forgetting the part where she told Arya to go kill Night King, essentially winning the Battle? "Blue eyes." She also had a call back to messages she said to Arya previously and how it all interconnected. 

1 minute ago, Devise said:

Forgetting the part where she told Arya to go kill Night King, essentially winning the Battle? "Blue eyes." She also had a call back to messages she said to Arya previously and how it all interconnected. 

Yeah I remember all that. Just found it funny how she goes and lets herself die. I guess she fulfilled her prophecy of what the Lord of Light wanted. They had callback messages all season though for a lot of characters so far.

Just now, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah I remember all that. Just found it funny how she goes and lets herself die. I guess she fulfilled her prophecy of what the Lord of Light wanted. They had callback messages all season though for a lot of characters so far.

Indeed, I think her choosing to just die also fits in with the whole point. Pretty much EVERYTHING magical in this series was tied to this episode, this moment. Now that it is all done? Who cares. Back to Season 1 politics/war and issues haha. 

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

Indeed, I think her choosing to just die also fits in with the whole point. Pretty much EVERYTHING magical in this series was tied to this episode, this moment. Now that it is all done? Who cares. Back to Season 1 politics/war and issues haha. 

I do think it's funny though. 1 episode and the whole WW problem is over with, supposedly. I hope there's more to it. We have 4 hours of GoT left (3 episodes of 1h20m), so I'm not entirely convinced it's all going to be fighting with Cersei.

Bran is so underutilized too to me. He's the memory of the world but he barely talks to anyone. Has this big journey to become 3ER but really doesn't do much with NK. They have their little connections through his visions, and Bran led him to the tree to get killed by Arya, but still. I just find it funny how little people seem to care about Bran being 3ER.

I think the next episode is going to start flashback to how Arya got from a barricade room to flying outta the air at the NK, or what the heck Bran was doing while warging. We only see the ravens take flight but they just used that as a transition to get in the air with the dragons, Jon and Auntie D. 

Arya killing the NK with the dagger Bran got was cool and I suppose you could see it coming part way through the episode. As soon as the Hound and Beric connected with Arya, you could kinda tell that Beric was going to die saving her.. but still I felt that everything was leading up to Jon to kill the NK - or a surprise of Gendry. But Arya is a badass and now she and the Hound can go and fuck up Cersei and the Mountain (I predict Arya let's the Hound take the mountain so she can go right for Cersei, as she's top of her list). 

3 episodes to wrap up everything - but honestly, after a battle like that, where 98% of everyone died (and only like 10% of main characters), it stands to reason - who really gives a fuck who's on the iron throne? At least you're alive. Cersei's plan of letting everyone go off and save the world seems to have worked. But I guess there's still at least one dragon left. But now, what purpose do a lot of these main characters serve? I was surprised Sam didn't die. He's told Jon the truth, which was he's main function. Mormont's House is now gone. Anyway, the point is - I expected more character deaths haha. 

Fucking fantastic television though. Wow. I'd love to rewatch that again for the first time. 

10 hours ago, oilmandan said:

Well.... some of that seemed rushed. I've never liked the movies or shows were you destroy the leader and the followers die. Very anti climactic. 

I don't have a big problem with it in this instance, since that's basically been known how it would go for a while, it was literally their plan to take him out, and all the Walkers with him.

My only issue with his death is that the battle was hyped from pretty much episode 1, and it ends in one episode, with a surprise attack jump from Arya. Also, they basically used that exact same killing with Lyanna Mormont on the Giant. It was a fine killing/death there, but basically copying it with Arya/NK was a bit weak to me.

I think next episode will be mostly exposition again, with Yarra presumably having taken the Iron Islands back, and the Northerners basically gathering as many banners as they can to join them. I'm thinking ravens will be sent out, detailing how Cersei deserted the living, breaking an oath, and most houses will join the North in the march on King's Landing.

I'm hoping that we see some background on NK, but won't hold my breath on that one.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

I hope they show what Bran was doing in these next 3 episodes. He just says, "I'm leaving" in the middle of battle and all it shows is him following around NK. I hope he was doing more than that.

Yeah, it was pretty lame that he just warged into a raven and followed NK, but I'm 99% sure that's exactly what he was doing the whole time. Keeping tabs on him to know exactly when he got to the godswood. It's possible he was also placing traps to delay NK for Arya to get there, but given how lame he's been, I'll go with just watching lol.

1 hour ago, Devise said:

Had no issues with the color or contrast stuff

My only issues were the flashes of fire covering the whole screen. Other than that, it was just a darker episode. I was watching pretty much pitch black, at 11 instead of 9, though, so maybe that contributed haha

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Anyway, the point is - I expected more character deaths haha.  

Honestly, I'm hoping there's some kind of purpose for most of the remaining mains, because a lot of them could have died in this episode.

Sam - You already said it

Brienne - She defended house Stark, became a knight, could easily have taken an honourable death

Pod - I was 50/50 on him living as a successor to Brienne, after this battle

Tyrion/Davos - Both have served well as Hands, but if Jon and Dany aren't going against each other, I thought one could die, probably Davos since Tyrion/Jaime will be needed in the next battle

Arya - Only reason she's still alive, I'm assuming, is to die trying to kill Cersei. There's no way she kills both the big bads, so she could have probably eaten it after killing NK, but they don't want to waste the hype of her trying to cross that name off her list

Tormund - No giants left to kill. Also, of the main mains, he's easily the most easily discarded (though he's one of my faves)

Grey Worm - Was at the front lines, should have died and nobody would have complained. If he has a happy ending, sipping Mai Tai's on the beach, I'm gonna be pissed

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

I do think it's funny though. 1 episode and the whole WW problem is over with, supposedly. I hope there's more to it. We have 4 hours of GoT left (3 episodes of 1h20m), so I'm not entirely convinced it's all going to be fighting with Cersei.

Bran is so underutilized too to me. He's the memory of the world but he barely talks to anyone. Has this big journey to become 3ER but really doesn't do much with NK. They have their little connections through his visions, and Bran led him to the tree to get killed by Arya, but still. I just find it funny how little people seem to care about Bran being 3ER.

THIS.

i found it weird that it was like 1-2 SEASONS of build up... all this anxiety and tense emotions and the thought of “holy fuck, shits gonna get crazy the white walkers are coming”.. and they showed up for one episode and all of a sudden it’s over? Lmao like GGM said.. they could have went much longer and I feel as though they’re rushing a good thing and hiding that fact by saying “well, episode are a little bit longer”. 

Mince Arya pumped the NK.. I was like... uh.. so that’s it? Just like that all those episodes and seasons of fear and hype.. just like that.. so now what? Like I get Cersei still but shit... 

24 minutes ago, Quik said:

Grey Worm - Was at the front lines, should have died and nobody would have complained. If he has a happy ending, sipping Mai Tai's on the beach, I'm gonna be pissed

Exactly  to everything - but for Greyworm.. I'm 99% sure he's dead. If he isn't, that would be really shitty and unrealistic. 

And yes to @Banackock & @DollarAndADream seems weird that allll that build up is over in one night of fighting. I thought that they'd last the night by killing some of the WW's and the NK being vulnerable just retreating or something. After that - the threat of Cersei seems very underwhelming and kinda pointless. 

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly  to everything - but for Greyworm.. I'm 99% sure he's dead. If he isn't, that would be really shitty and unrealistic. 

If he's dead, then it was off-screen, which...I don't know which is worse lol

49 minutes ago, Quik said:

If he's dead, then it was off-screen, which...I don't know which is worse lol

Engulfed by the thousands of dead running through the unsullied!!

Although given my theory that they'll start the next episode back a few minutes before Arya ended the NK - we'll probably see what happened to him - so if he does die - we'll see it in gory detail! 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Engulfed by the thousands of dead running through the unsullied!!

Although given my theory that they'll start the next episode back a few minutes before Arya ended the NK - we'll probably see what happened to him - so if he does die - we'll see it in gory detail! 

Yeah, if they rewind and show his death in all its glory, I'd be happy with that. I don't know if they'll go with that device though, I think next episode will heavily feature King's Landing and the Iron Islands, and possibly a Bran connection to NK.

One theory I read, which I don't know if I love or hate, is that Bran is the LoL, and his warging was going back in time and making sure all the events that lead to Battle of Winterfell occurred...Driving the Mad King mad, his assassination attempt, the boar killing Robert, Arya's arc, bringing back Thoros, Beric, Jon and the Hound, literally everything. It'd be a bit of a curveball to make 3ER the Lord of Light, but is an interesting theory.

15 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I feel like the show is kind of dropping a lot of the prophecy stuff.  Especially since they didn't include the prophecies/mythologies from the books (the "valonqar", "the dragon has three heads", some parts of Dany's story in Slaver's Bay).  Unless they're going to make Azor Ahai not refer to defeating the NK/his army, which wouldn't make sense IMO.

I was personally surprised that the Night King died that early to be honest.  It felt kind of abrupt in a way how it ended.  I'm curious to see where they go from here but a bit worried.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

And yes to @Banackock & @DollarAndADream seems weird that allll that build up is over in one night of fighting. I thought that they'd last the night by killing some of the WW's and the NK being vulnerable just retreating or something. After that - the threat of Cersei seems very underwhelming and kinda pointless. 

I really wanted some White Walker fighting. What the hell was the point of them making such a big deal about Valyrian steel swords and who has them then? They let us know over many seasons that there are these specific swords and the people who currently have them, only for 90% of them to not even matter. Jon used Longclaw to kill a WW in Hardhome, and then they killed one when they were abducting a wight. That's it. All the other WW's died when the NK died. Might as well have just been 1 Valyrian steel sword, the dagger, and the rest dragon glass.

I figured they might have had some stand off of Brienne, Jaime, Jon, Arya, and Jorah with their Valyrian swords versus the WW's.

I think by plot armour we mean the fact that so many main characters obviously should have died but survived because the plot needs them to. That's fine but it's inconsistent by the logic of the show through the first 4 seasons. If you make mistakes you suffer consequences, that just doesn't happen anymore at least not to the degree they used to. Jon should have died when he was surrounded by like 200 dead guys. Jamie was over whelmed he should have died. Brienne should have died like 3 times. Sam was literally lying on the ground crying but he survived. It really makes no sense. And that's not even getting in to the fact that the most superstitious/anti magic people on the show (dothraki) have no issue with a magic person using magic to make their swords catch on fire. Also whose idea was it to have them charge in to the night like that? Like come on lol. 

And Arya going full Naruto to run passed the other dead guys was dumb, but par for the course with the show at this point.

The writers are too cowardly to kill characters people like. Kind of sucks considering how the writing was with GRRM.

8 hours ago, Devise said:

Color me confused, but last I checked all the shows plot armor always came from the magical sources