Game of Thrones

Victor

5 minutes ago, Devise said:

Considering all the issues this season had, that finale was likely way better than it had any right to be.

I think the final scene with Dany was almost perfect.

I had no problem with the results.

I wish we had a 2-part 6 episode each season like sopranos or breaking bad to end it though.. really explain and show the aspects of ICE & FIRE and let the character plotlines shine though. 

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

So.. the Game of Thrones was just musical chairs and the winner was the one sitting down the whole time...

Are you the guy who said that in the highly upvoted comment on Reddit? Or did you take it from there? :P

I'm just happy that Jon finally went and gave Ghost a pat. North of the wall was always where Jon seemed the happiest and the most free, so it makes sense that he goes there. I mean, they went and said that he took the black just to convince Grey Worm that he was being punished, when really he was just going north of the wall to live his life. I do think it's a little dumb considering the Unsullied just left so Jon easily could have stayed. It's not like they have any little birds to tell them Jon is back south.

The Dany thing I guess could make a little sense, they just needed to put more time into her taking that big turn into killing a million innocent people. She had such a long journey of compassion for the weak, only to do what she did. Not to mention Jon not really being convinced in killing her before Tyrion talks to him. Who the hell listens to Tyrion anymore after all the mistakes he made with his advice? :P

Drogon burning the chair is odd to me since there's no reason for him to even know what it is. I guess Bran could be warging into it, but why leave something like that open ended? I mean, shit, most of the things that happen you can say well what if Bran was warging into them?

Bronn I guess they just added in as fan service. The guy after so many threats to people has no right being on the council.

It mostly just feels weird that it's all over. When this show started, my life was very different. GRRM has confirmed today that he has continued writing Winds of Winter again as well, so that's a huge plus.

8 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Drogon burning the chair is odd to me since there's no reason for him to even know what it is. I guess Bran could be warging into it, but why leave something like that open ended? I mean, shit, most of the things that happen you can say well what if Bran was warging into them?

Pretty much. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of the show. We were so god damn long overdue a Bran monologue about what he's actually been doing and they were perfectly happy to keep it all implied. For all we know, since Bran was able to Warg back in time to control Hodor, Bran could of been setting up all the pieces. All the running theories of him being the Night King could still really be true. Because all of this chaos resulted in him becoming King and absolutely making it evident that he "knew" it was going to happen...you could very easily argue Bran was in control of half the confusing shit that was going on. 

I do think it speaks to the quality of the writing that instead of giving us the exact "how" Bran did what he did we are left with open ended vagueness because it allows them to entirely cover up the lack of detail they went into all of that. Which absolutely is a bummer. I will say though Drogon burning the chair did get a reaction out of me purely because I spent much of the early parts of the episode still wondering if there was a larger point to be made or if more and more characters would just die. The burning of the chair at least signaled, thematically that there was at least some semblance of the theme that anyone who seeks to rule is bad, aka the chair is the problem.

Edited by Devise

The Dany speech as well really threw me off guard. She's like bipolar or some shit.

She turns to Jon and starts talking about herself as a little girl, etc etc with like this childish face of joy on her face, looking like the most kind person you've ever seen. The same woman who just burned a city to the ground. Haha.

Poor Jon's lovers all die. He's gotta find an Ygritte v.2 north of the wall now.

16 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Drogon burning the chair is odd to me since there's no reason for him to even know what it is.

Common knowledge is that Dragons are intelligent.

See another great reddit comment:

Drogon: ALL THIS FOR A FUCKING CHAIR???

10 minutes ago, Devise said:

and absolutely making it evident that he "knew" it was going to happen...

I was annoyed at the transparency of this... "why do you think I came all the way down here?"

everything else he's ever said since becoming the three-eyed raven has been cryptic. The only thing he hasn't been fucking cryptic about is NOT being Bran Stark anymore... and all of a sudden he's like - fuck ya. I win. 

Maybe that's the genius in it... but if that's the intention, the build towards it was shit. 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Common knowledge is that Dragons are intelligent.

See another great reddit comment:

Drogon: ALL THIS FOR A FUCKING CHAIR???

Yeah, there are words that say dragons are more intelligent than humans. That might be the reason why Drogon did that, and why he didn't kill Jon. He knew it was for the best as well. At the same time though, I think he didn't kill Jon because he's Targaryen as well.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I was annoyed at the transparency of this... "why do you think I came all the way down here?"

everything else he's ever said since becoming the three-eyed raven has been cryptic. The only thing he hasn't been fucking cryptic about is NOT being Bran Stark anymore... and all of a sudden he's like - fuck ya. I win. 

Maybe that's the genius in it... but if that's the intention, the build towards it was shit. 

I mean, yeah if that is the angle they were going for they could of leaned in a bit. But thinking on it it turns Bran from a good character to a vengeful one pretty fast. If he knew all this shit was going to happen and positioned for it to happen just so, he was absolutely willing to kill a lot of innocence, or I should say...let innocence die in the chaos of the shit he was setting in motion/doing. Sure you could argue the pieces in play were all playing on ambitions/actions of other characters, but still. 

"The North Remembers" indeed. Hell even the one scene where Jon was mad at Tyrion for attempting to reduce them all to their house names. The way they decided to wrap things up kind of felt fitting to that mantra really, even Jon with the dual houses. That said though, again all this is such vague stuff that the show is so happy to just leave open ended. 

Did I miss a bit, or do we just assume that someone knew that Jon killed her? Kills Dany, Drogon goes nuts, flys off with body. New scene, Tyrion marched to council and Jon is in prison. Did I fall asleep? I'm over being critical, but I swear I missed something. 

• Commissioner

Haven’t read all the discussion above yet but I did read @Devise‘a initial reactions and agree with them. It wrapped up a lot better than it had any right to. I’m good with Bran being king and the North being independent (though worried about what precedent that sets for future rebellions, I’m looking at you Iron Islands). I’m good with Arya forging her own path and Jon going to arguably where he belongs (as well as petting his damn wolf finally).

I do still hate how fast they turned Dany insane but I get the need. The goal was to have rulers chosen, not born. Ultimately Dany wanted to break the wheel only in her own ways, I don’t think she was ever going to offer a drastic change like that after being told her whole life that Targaryans were the rightful rulers. She had to do something extreme for Jon and Tyrion to turn against her. It should have taken more time but I get the reason at least now.

I’m still not loving Jaime’s turn back to Cersei but Brienne filling in his page makes the act seem noble at least so that’s better. I do like that she’s appears to be Lord Commander of the King’s Guard and my boy Pod got knighted. Bronn was a bit of fan service for sure but it made for an awesome scene. He’s no less qualified than Sam is as grand Maester so it’s fine.

All in all I think it made a lot of things come full circle which I like. It was a solid ending to an okay season. I still would have loved 10 episodes to flush things out better but it was a solid end.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, BOOM said:

Did I miss a bit, or do we just assume that someone knew that Jon killed her? Kills Dany, Drogon goes nuts, flys off with body. New scene, Tyrion marched to council and Jon is in prison. Did I fall asleep? I'm over being critical, but I swear I missed something. 

Well they surely knew he was going in there since the Unsullied were her guard’s and then she’s gone, Drogo’s gone, the Iron Throne is gone and there’s a bloodstain on the ground. The unsullied aren’t morons. Still though, I think Jon is too noble to have not just told them himself.

Honestly, the last episode for me wasn't too bad with the results and where everyone ended up. I enjoyed the destination everyone got to but for me, the biggest issue is the lead-up to all the endings. everything felt super rushed which often made everything feel out of character for almost every person in the show. If they gave us more episodes to show the gradual changes rather than this roller coaster I would have been great with it but as is since everything just came so fast. Like if you want the mad queen shows us a build up and not just flip a switch and have Tyrion explain it after the fact. Like 1 week she drops everything to save the realms of men then the next she burns down an entire city. All in all, I just feel like more time would have helped. IDK about you all but I got into the show b/c of the characters and rich plot and not the fights/wars. But this last few seasons were mostly that.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, rjfryman said:

Honestly, the last episode for me wasn't too bad with the results and where everyone ended up. I enjoyed the destination everyone got to but for me, the biggest issue is the lead-up to all the endings. everything felt super rushed which often made everything feel out of character for almost every person in the show. If they gave us more episodes to show the gradual changes rather than this roller coaster I would have been great with it but as is since everything just came so fast. Like if you want the mad queen shows us a build up and not just flip a switch and have Tyrion explain it after the fact. Like 1 week she drops everything to save the realms of men then the next she burns down an entire city. All in all, I just feel like more time would have helped. IDK about you all but I got into the show b/c of the characters and rich plot and not the fights/wars. But this last few seasons were mostly that.

This...

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Victor said:

I just wanna know why Jon told anyone he killed Dany and what the hell is the point of the nights watch now?

Too noble for his own good? Or like I said before, I imagine she must have had some guards that noticed her absence or something and put two and two together that he was the last person who went in.

As for the Night’s watch: I don’t think it really does. No one is left and part of the wall is missing. Jon’s ending implied he wasn’t coming back to Castle Black. I think them “sending him to the wall” was basically shorthand for banishment beyond the wall.

4 hours ago, Victor said:

I just wanna know why Jon told anyone he killed Dany and what the hell is the point of the nights watch now?

"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, and bastards, and broken things" — that's what Tyrion said to Jon in Season 1, when they met at the Wall. “The world will always need a home for bastards and broken men" is what Tyrion says in the series finale

My question is that given this , logically, why wouldn't Bran the Broken rule from the Wall??

Edited by Phil

27 minutes ago, Victor said:

I should also add that with the Unsullied sailing off, was there anyone left who even cared about Jon killing Dany?

Though don’t get me started on there even being any unsullied and Dothraki left after ep 3.

Jon probably would have told someone that he killed Dany, since he's got the honour of Ned that also got him killed.

But yea, when the Unsullied sailed off, and Jon, Arya, Sansa and Bran were saying goodbye, couldn't Bran have just been like, "alright brah, you're pardoned."

I mean FFS Snow saved everyone from more mass murderings. 

But I guess he can stay King beyond the Wall. He was always most comfortable there.

I don't mind the ending. But I very much minded how they got there. 

Edited by Phil

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Admin

Wow I'm late to the party but finally watched season 8. I agree with all of your comments, S8 really let the rest of the show down in spectacular fashion. 

I don't hate the ending but find some parts kind of dumb like 7 seasons of making Cersei the #1 villain and she dies via building collapse and has next to no dialogue all season. Felt like it was much more Jaime's ending rather than Cersei which doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I get he's the 3 eyed raven and all but it just feels like a stretch that the other 6 kingdoms would accept both an independent north and a northern ruler for themselves. 

Anyway totally agree the whole thing felt rushed. I thought maybe it was one of those things where people hate it just because it's the end but now I see why it has such bad ratings.