Twitch Recruiting / VHL Streamers

• Commissioner

I've brought this up before and it garnered some interest but never went anywhere so I'll bring it up again with a little more thought to it.

We've tapped many different social media markets for recruiting before. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, we've been to all of them. What we haven't touched is Twitch (or YouTube Gaming but Twitch is bigger). Effectively the VHL is a game, more social and less "video" than most people are used to these days but still effectively a game. So we should be marketing ourselves to sites that cater to gamers. Twitch is probably the largest of that. If we were to have people in the VHL who's job it was to be streamers for the site (pay being their PT for the week and maybe a little extra as long as they stream x amount of hours) we could potentially find a lot of interested people. Obvious game choices are things like the NHL game but basically anything can have a following.

All it would really take is to have the site address as part of an overlay (which our GFX community could easily design) and VHL in the channel name. In essence we could create a "streaming team" which is a thing a lot of e-sports companies (even smaller ones, on basically any major game) have. We wouldn't necessarily be telling the chat "hey, go to this site" but it's there anyway and if anyone asks then it's easy for a streamer to interact with the chat and explain. As an added bonus, any donations that happen to be made (wouldn't be much but it's definitely something people do) could go straight back to the league.

Streaming from console fully is tricky hardware wise but the XB1 and PS4 both have capabilities built in (which can do the job) and streaming PC games is as simple as having good internet and a free program. Hell it doesn't even have to be games. People like Boubabi and myself have already done live sigs and the art community is potentially there as well. It might not be the largest market in the world but there are a lot of potential members on services like twitch that we are more or less ignoring. I think with the proper push we could potentially bring them in.

Edited by Beketov

• Senior Admin

I like it. I've let people claim the live sigs as PTs before (although there is a tangible sig in that case anyways), but I'd be fine with paying people PT's for that as part of the recruitment crew. We could always embed the streams here to try and generate some activity here as well. I don't know much about the streaming game though so beyond that IDK :P 

• Commissioner
Just now, Will said:

I like it. I've let people claim the live sigs as PTs before (although there is a tangible sig in that case anyways), but I'd be fine with paying people PT's for that as part of the recruitment crew. We could always embed the streams here to try and generate some activity here as well. I don't know much about the streaming game though so beyond that IDK :P 

Definitely could have them embedded here (I believe we tested this and you need to allow HTML access or something though) to generate some hype from people already on the site.

As far as how streaming goes, it's pretty simple. All you really need is a computer and a mic, a webcam helps, and something that will interest people. It takes a bit to build a following and there are obviously ways to increase the quality (that I'd be more than willing to discuss with people) but I think it's a market we haven't tapped that's worth looking into.

I do wonder if @boubabi has any experience in making stream overlays? Perhaps if we hired a crew of people with the time to stream frequently (I'd love to do it just not sure how often I could claim it since I can't stream much) and built some matching overlays and stuff we could start things on the right foot quality wise.

What kind of things would you want to know about it though since you say you don't know much? I don't have much of a following but I've done it before so I can probably answer most stuff.

2 hours ago, Devise said:

I'm down to stream games as well. I'm pretty sure the Pajodcast crew could help with this if needed. 

Actually I think that we could do something similar to the old Terraria days with Damien. Stream a social game and bring others in on voice, get different members of the community in for things like that. Play games like terraria or Keep talking and nobody explodes, or anything from jack box party pack.

This would be great because we have enough members around that we could have a revolving door of guests and games. Some moments we've had in casual talks have been great content, like @BOOM and the celery bat for example.

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Actually I think that we could do something similar to the old Terraria days with Damien. Stream a social game and bring others in on voice, get different members of the community in for things like that. Play games like terraria or Keep talking and nobody explodes, or anything from jack box party pack.

This would be great because we have enough members around that we could have a revolving door of guests and games. Some moments we've had in casual talks have been great content, like @BOOM and the celery bat for example.

Absolutely. Yes this. @Salt I would love to get together with you via PM and the rest of the cast boys, and then anyone else who is interested and plan out a 3-4 hour long stream where we have a revolving door based on when people are available. We could take a look at games people have/share on Steam, as well as games like Kyle mentioned with Jackbox etc easy games to play with multiple people. 

I was just speaking with Kyle about it and seeing some 50+ old Pajodcasts it made me realize why I wasn't uploading everything to YT. We all use Zippyshare sans a few of us for casting and it's just silly when we could get free advertising with YT. Especially if we also are doing things like game streams on the side. 

14 minutes ago, Devise said:

Absolutely. Yes this. @Salt I would love to get together with you via PM and the rest of the cast boys, and then anyone else who is interested and plan out a 3-4 hour long stream where we have a revolving door based on when people are available. We could take a look at games people have/share on Steam, as well as games like Kyle mentioned with Jackbox etc easy games to play with multiple people. 

I was just speaking with Kyle about it and seeing some 50+ old Pajodcasts it made me realize why I wasn't uploading everything to YT. We all use Zippyshare sans a few of us for casting and it's just silly when we could get free advertising with YT. Especially if we also are doing things like game streams on the side. 

I'd be up for that! 

• Commissioner

If I've ever got a free night I'll totally fire up Jackbox and have a VHL stream, could be fun.

On a less Twitch gaming related note we could also stream live podcasts to YouTube which could be great for viewer interaction.

34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

That card was fucking ridiculous. I still call BS on a baseball bat made out of a vegetable. Oh and as for the Pajodcast, if you ever get the chance/invited/called/added to go on it, take it because some of the best memories I have related to the VHL have bee associated with those 3 guys and the conversations that have ensued.