A Scooter Suggestion(S)

1. Re-naming awards

I feel like the league is kind of split into eras looking at the stat lines and what not and everyone loves to be the best or break records. Season 2 records don't apply to season 50. Why not split the record books into eras. You could have a season 1-10 records since the league kind of looks like it changed around that time. Then maybe do season 10-30, 30-50, ect. You then can take the awards and rename them at the cut off points, like have the awards right now named after the guys who won them the most in season 30-50. I think doing this would add something for new guys to strive for, having a bunch of awards named after players they've never seen is cool for the history of the league but does nothing to add new guys to the old boys club and this way could still be good for history I feel as more superstars will be highlighted by having awards named after them.

2. Changing VHLM Team Location

I feel like the VHLM GMs should be able to change their team location, name and logo when they take over a team. I get that you want to create a history in the VHL and not move teams but in the VHLM it definitely would add a sense of pride for new GMs and I don't think it's a big deal as long as they can come up with an original logo or find someone to make one, I feel this needs to be a must. It would also need other rules like one change per GM tenure, Team name can only change once per 5 seasons, All changes need to be approved by BOG.

3. Grading

I see the old grading and you get good feedback and suggestions, the new system of automatic 6 for any work is inclusive letting everyone be the same but it doesn't help people grow I feel. It also makes grading lazier than in the past I feel. I'm really torn on this suggestion but I also like the old grading when researching it. I know some others have probably made this suggestion and I also saw @boubabi has told people to just tag him and he'd post suggestions which is really nice of him to do as one of the better graphic makes here.

4. Refusing to play with a team or trying to discourage a team from drafting you

I'm not entirely sure how to punish this or stop it but I really feel this is a cancer for the league. At least play your three seasons after being drafted and be a positive member for that team. Past issues with teams and members should be left alone for the betterment of the league. GM turn over seems to be fairly high and messing with new GMs or any GMs ability to run his team is highly unfair to them. If you feel the need to make a list of teams you are willing to play for pre-draft you should a) Not be allowed a second player option for 10 seasons. b) check your attitude or bullshit at the door, it's a sim league and playing it for 7 years doesn't make you special.

5. Other Suggestions I can get behind

Make dual welfare an option by @Green

Rooke or first generation locker room? by @HFD

Player "Vacation" by @BOOM

You three deserve kudos for some great suggestions.

#2 would never work. Because a new logo would have to be created every time it happens and we'd be asking a lot from our graphics guys to do that every 5 seasons or what not. All logos here are original and not found on the internet.

14 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

#2 would never work. Because a new logo would have to be created every time it happens and we'd be asking a lot from our graphics guys to do that every 5 seasons or what not. All logos here are original and not found on the internet.

Make it a 10 season minimum requirement

22 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

There are enough good graphic guys here to take care of this no problem and also we can let them claim it as a PT. Your comment reeks of I've been here too long for change and no real problem presented. Make it so the logo needs to be created and approved by the BOG first like I suggested.

18 minutes ago, Scooter said:

There are enough good graphic guys here to take care of this no problem and also we can let them claim it as a PT. Your comment reeks of I've been here too long for change and no real problem presented. Make it so the logo needs to be created and approved by the BOG first like I suggested.

TBH he was one of the members who wanted to have a franchise moved and was shot down. He has been here since day 1, but Kendrick has never put on that kind of complex.

22 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Projecting much? Calm down. The issue we don't want to constantly be changing franchises if it doesn't need to happen. A change here or there when something is lacking interest is no different than a logo change but it pretty much comes down to timing, franchise history, and how everything is perceived. It's not just as simple as "approved by BoG and good." We have a open policy when it comes to franchise relocation as it relates to the VHLM, the VHL is a different story because people are pretty attached to franchises. But we did relocate Vasteras to Stockholm, and talk has happened to relocate some other franchises. I know there has been some demand for a Russia and Chicago team for example. But those things will happen if/when they are deemed reasonable/worthy to happen. 

Otherwise appreciate the suggestions and feedback, although a lot of it is things I don't see happening. We renamed the VHLM awards to be more akin, and feel that the HoF nominations are worthy enough. The players honored in the awards are honored for a reason. That said lots of talk has happened over the past 4-5 seasons of some new awards, and you can bet more modern names would get used for any newer awards introduced. 

17 minutes ago, Devise said:

Projecting much? Calm down. The issue we don't want to constantly be changing franchises if it doesn't need to happen. A change here or there when something is lacking interest is no different than a logo change but it pretty much comes down to timing, franchise history, and how everything is perceived. It's not just as simple as "approved by BoG and good." We have a open policy when it comes to franchise relocation as it relates to the VHLM, the VHL is a different story because people are pretty attached to franchises. But we did relocate Vasteras to Stockholm, and talk has happened to relocate some other franchises. I know there has been some demand for a Russia and Chicago team for example. But those things will happen if/when they are deemed reasonable/worthy to happen. 

Otherwise appreciate the suggestions and feedback, although a lot of it is things I don't see happening. We renamed the VHLM awards to be more akin, and feel that the HoF nominations are worthy enough. The players honored in the awards are honored for a reason. That said lots of talk has happened over the past 4-5 seasons of some new awards, and you can bet more modern names would get used for any newer awards introduced. 

Projecting what? I gave some legit suggestions, used or not. Comes down to timing? It's the VHLM and you guys want to preserve history or find the right situation to move. The BOG isn't a good enough gauge for relocation approval? That is quite sad for the BOG. Renaming the awards as I stated will be inclusive of new members. I do absolutely feel this league is an old boys club as it is and new members get a lot of thanks for joining, oh you are doing great, thanks for joining you can donate your money to us and be a very average player, thanks for coming out. I'm not saying everyone feels this way but I most certainly do and sisnce there is a lot of talk about really poor member retention maybe you should take this all in.

24 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Projecting what? I gave some legit suggestions, used or not. Comes down to timing? It's the VHLM and you guys want to preserve history or find the right situation to move. The BOG isn't a good enough gauge for relocation approval? That is quite sad for the BOG. Renaming the awards as I stated will be inclusive of new members. I do absolutely feel this league is an old boys club as it is and new members get a lot of thanks for joining, oh you are doing great, thanks for joining you can donate your money to us and be a very average player, thanks for coming out. I'm not saying everyone feels this way but I most certainly do and sisnce there is a lot of talk about really poor member retention maybe you should take this all in.

I dunno man, I use this place to scratch my role-playing itch and it really breaks immersion to have randomly changing team locations all the time. You don't see that in traditional sports because it isn't economically feasible. Plus we've had some pretty stupid locations/team names before that got through and made us look silly. (The Oslo Naggerwolves were silly, Vasteras IK Black Eagles was stupid because fuck @PensFan101).

If you think we're that much of an old boys club I'd have to respectfully disagree. That was a real issue back in the teens and twenties, but our member base has largely grown up since then. We tend to take in suggestions and weigh them based on merit, but we usually are conservative with enacting policy unless we see an upside. I don't really see much benefit to that. Nobody is going to be saying "Well I was going to hang out here, but they won't let me put a VHLM team in Buttfuck Alabama so I'm out".

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I dunno man, I use this place to scratch my role-playing itch and it really breaks immersion to have randomly changing team locations all the time. You don't see that in traditional sports because it isn't economically feasible. Plus we've had some pretty stupid locations/team names before that got through and made us look silly. (The Oslo Naggerwolves were silly, Vasteras IK Black Eagles was stupid because fuck @PensFan101).

If you think we're that much of an old boys club I'd have to respectfully disagree. That was a real issue back in the teens and twenties, but our member base has largely grown up since then. We tend to take in suggestions and weigh them based on merit, but we usually are conservative with enacting policy unless we see an upside. I don't really see much benefit to that. Nobody is going to be saying "Well I was going to hang out here, but they won't let me put a VHLM team in Buttfuck Alabama so I'm out".

I don't see the big deal with moving the VHLM team, I'm not saying the VHL teams, the VHLM needs GMs to be proud and interested in their franchises, also I said once per GM. Like me, I don't give a fuck about Oslo, I didn't even know where Oslo was before this league. Also how can people make stupid names like Naggerwolves if the BOG has final approval. I feel like you didn't even read the original suggestion. Also the losing interest wasn't from not being able to move franchises. I said renaming awards based of eras would keep new players interested as they could some day have an award named after them or be the best player of that era. Right now you have some guy who hasn't been here in forever as the best player and his records can't be touched because he was in a league with 20-30 people and less teams. I don't even think my suggestions were read besides the title before they were dismissed by the same old boys club I was talking about.

Also, Suggestion #6

Invite some young blood into your BOG because this.

"We tend to take in suggestions and weigh them based on merit, but we usually are conservative with enacting policy unless we see an upside."

You weigh them on the merit of guys who have been here 30 plus seasons and post about member retention problems, Maybe an idea would be to see if you can integrate some things that new members would want. I see a lot of guys messaging and being welcoming in a PM never to be heard from again but virtually zero willing to actually take new members suggestions and wants and needs into account. I don't feel the decisions are made from a betterment of the league standpoint but more as a betterment of the senior members standpoint. There is literally zero effect from approving the relocation of a VHLM franchise. Raise one valid point against my suggestion. But it's met with bullshit excuses that were already solved in my original post. 

43 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Also, Suggestion #6

Invite some young blood into your BOG because this.

"We tend to take in suggestions and weigh them based on merit, but we usually are conservative with enacting policy unless we see an upside."

You weigh them on the merit of guys who have been here 30 plus seasons and post about member retention problems, Maybe an idea would be to see if you can integrate some things that new members would want. I see a lot of guys messaging and being welcoming in a PM never to be heard from again but virtually zero willing to actually take new members suggestions and wants and needs into account. I don't feel the decisions are made from a betterment of the league standpoint but more as a betterment of the senior members standpoint. There is literally zero effect from approving the relocation of a VHLM franchise. Raise one valid point against my suggestion. But it's met with bullshit excuses that were already solved in my original post. 

Zero. Yep zero. We've done nothing your right zero. VHL expansion, VHLM contraction, Welfare, Auto 6 on Media Spots to encourage activity in a world where more people use mobile, Two Player. Nobody is saying we are perfect. Nobody is saying your criticism isn't legitimate. When I asked you to calm down I was talk about projecting this "old boys club" narrative that has been dead for a long while now onto Kendrick. Half the "old boys club" your talking about have been some of the most vocal members at suggestions from new members, including myself. Oh sorry I forgot to mention also Player Update scale changes, as well as deep discussion on everything from extending a players career to making the season go by. LOTS OF STUFF HAS BEEN THOUGHT OF AND DISCUSSED. Changes have and will come as needed, and when a big enough consensus can be formed not just from the BoG, not just from the supposed old boys club, but also from the league as a whole. 

I'm sorry you don't feel things are done that way, but we have been pretty transparent about how things have been getting done and how progressive we've tried to been. Refusing to rename awards because in your own opinion "it helps with retention" when your the only person who has suggested it and I'm pretty sure your not even a new member. Didn't I hear from someone your a former GM who has gone inactive more times than anyone can count? I'm not discrediting your suggestion. I brought up why we don't want to change awards. That isn't just the BoG. The group of members in this league who like it's history are many, and not limited to members who have been here too long. A majority isn't decided by your opinion. Find me where enough of a majority of the league legit wants award names changed and present that to us, and it'll probably get changed. 

42 minutes ago, Devise said:

Zero. Yep zero. We've done nothing your right zero. VHL expansion, VHLM contraction, Welfare, Auto 6 on Media Spots to encourage activity in a world where more people use mobile, Two Player. Nobody is saying we are perfect. Nobody is saying your criticism isn't legitimate. When I asked you to calm down I was talk about projecting this "old boys club" narrative that has been dead for a long while now onto Kendrick. Half the "old boys club" your talking about have been some of the most vocal members at suggestions from new members, including myself. Oh sorry I forgot to mention also Player Update scale changes, as well as deep discussion on everything from extending a players career to making the season go by. LOTS OF STUFF HAS BEEN THOUGHT OF AND DISCUSSED. Changes have and will come as needed, and when a big enough consensus can be formed not just from the BoG, not just from the supposed old boys club, but also from the league as a whole. 

I'm sorry you don't feel things are done that way, but we have been pretty transparent about how things have been getting done and how progressive we've tried to been. Refusing to rename awards because in your own opinion "it helps with retention" when your the only person who has suggested it and I'm pretty sure your not even a new member. Didn't I hear from someone your a former GM who has gone inactive more times than anyone can count? I'm not discrediting your suggestion. I brought up why we don't want to change awards. That isn't just the BoG. The group of members in this league who like it's history are many, and not limited to members who have been here too long. A majority isn't decided by your opinion. Find me where enough of a majority of the league legit wants award names changed and present that to us, and it'll probably get changed. 

I didn't say you are doing nothing as you've suggested, I said new members suggestions aren't taken seriously and not one has been since I got here in my opinion. You are trying to say I said zero things are being done in the league, that's not what I said at all. What I said is there is zero effect from moving a VHLM franchise if done properly and the issue is being danced around by saying a lot of fluff not relating to the issue. I'm not saying rename the awards completely keep the awards the way they were but what about renaming them for generations like you are in season 54 with the awards being named for the most part for players that are not here, well the people that made them are not here. right now this league literally has nothing to strive for besides winning a cup and hoping you can make enough friends on the BOG that you get a HOF nod. I'm saying that isn't enough, especially when people that want to be the best are donating real money.

On the other part about Kendrick going around calling me Bushito, I guess I might as well tell the story now since it seems to be becoming a thing. I am not Bushito but the laptop I bought did belong to Bushito or Tyler Barabash as I know him. We worked together in Blackfalds Alberta, I didn't really know him well but I was bitching about my laptop blowing up in the lunch room and he sold me this one for cheap and it had this on it. I like hockey so I checked it out and it seemed pretty sweet to kill some time after work. I asked him about the site and he told me a lot about it and a lot about some of the people on it. Like the story of Kendrick making a fake facebook account which gave me a good laugh. He said he was in leagues like this that were like NFL with Advantage who looks like he's a GM here in Stockholm. He had photoshop and PSDs on this computer which I kind of followed the same outline to make my graphics, I also took some photoshop classes so it wasn't all that difficult to just look at the work here. Either way I told him I wouldn't tell anyone anything about him or name drop him but I feel like it won't be left alone so. He also said he was GM and left the league twice while GMing, so you can't count to two? I don't mind arguing my points and being vocal, I do it for a living and you can believe me or not I really don't care, it seems to be a topic for many to discuss. But I can take this league or leave it at this point, I'm just trying to give you a reasonable, fresh perspective.

Edited by Scooter

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

Plus we've had some pretty stupid locations/team names before that got through and made us look silly. (The Oslo Naggerwolves were silly, Vasteras IK Black Eagles was stupid because fuck @PensFan101).

Don't forget the Screamin' Seamen

1. Re-naming awards

Splitting the stats into eras would not be all that easy. To begin, the first era would have to extend to at least S17, because we don't have any stats prior to then, so the best we could do is take all of the stats from the subsequent seasons away from those years and what's left are the S1-S17 stats. The idea of splitting stats into eras has also been brought up before, but not every 10 seasons. The expansion in S31 would be an obvious splitting point. And then maybe again at S50-ish. Some sort of segmenting of career stat records I suppose I could get behind, though it would be a good chunk of work for someone to do (if @Will and @Higgins want to give me TPE to do it, I can).

But re-naming the awards I disagree with. I just don't think it's something we need to do. I wouldn't be totally torn up if we decided to, but I don't see the point. Something to strive for? Strive for the Hall of Fame. Strive to be better than the players in your draft class.

I wouldn't mind seeing more re-locations. I think they can be exciting if they don't get too out of hand or happen too frequently. As soon as you take over, though? No. You have to prove yourself. Three seasons as GM at least before you can submit a proposal. We can't just allow anyone who steps in as a GM to move the team. People even less established than yourself in the league have previously been given a chance to GM a VHLM team. We can't just let anyone move a team as soon as they are made a GM. Prove yourself; prove that you are committed to the position. Then we'll talk.

Edited by ThePenultimateOlympian06

40 minutes ago, ThePenultimateOlympian06 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing more re-locations. I think they can be exciting if they don't get too out of hand or happen too frequently. As soon as you take over, though? No. You have to prove yourself. Three seasons as GM at least before you can submit a proposal. We can't just allow anyone who steps in as a GM to move the team. People ever less established than yourself in the league have previously been given a chance to GM a VHLM team. We can't just let anyone move a team as soon as they are made a GM. Prove yourself; prove that you are committed to the position. Then we'll talk.

Pretty much this for VHLM relocation.

Right now the VHLM is undergoing a bit of a ... makeover so relocation is really thrown out the window. Also it's a bit of a slippery slope as whenever a new GM takes over they will want to have their own unique stamp on the team, aka a relocation to a city of their liking. I'm all for a mix of consistency and staying fresh.

6 hours ago, Scooter said:

On the other part about Kendrick going around calling me Bushito, I guess I might as well tell the story now since it seems to be becoming a thing. I am not Bushito but the laptop I bought did belong to Bushito or Tyler Barabash as I know him. We worked together in Blackfalds Alberta, I didn't really know him well but I was bitching about my laptop blowing up in the lunch room and he sold me this one for cheap and it had this on it. I like hockey so I checked it out and it seemed pretty sweet to kill some time after work. I asked him about the site and he told me a lot about it and a lot about some of the people on it. Like the story of Kendrick making a fake facebook account which gave me a good laugh. He said he was in leagues like this that were like NFL with Advantage who looks like he's a GM here in Stockholm. He had photoshop and PSDs on this computer which I kind of followed the same outline to make my graphics, I also took some photoshop classes so it wasn't all that difficult to just look at the work here. Either way I told him I wouldn't tell anyone anything about him or name drop him but I feel like it won't be left alone so. He also said he was GM and left the league twice while GMing, so you can't count to two? I don't mind arguing my points and being vocal, I do it for a living and you can believe me or not I really don't care, it seems to be a topic for many to discuss. But I can take this league or leave it at this point, I'm just trying to give you a reasonable, fresh perspective.

This excuse is so bad it has to be true.

8 hours ago, Scooter said:

I don't see the big deal with moving the VHLM team, I'm not saying the VHL teams, the VHLM needs GMs to be proud and interested in their franchises, also I said once per GM. Like me, I don't give a fuck about Oslo, I didn't even know where Oslo was before this league. Also how can people make stupid names like Naggerwolves if the BOG has final approval. I feel like you didn't even read the original suggestion. Also the losing interest wasn't from not being able to move franchises. I said renaming awards based of eras would keep new players interested as they could some day have an award named after them or be the best player of that era. Right now you have some guy who hasn't been here in forever as the best player and his records can't be touched because he was in a league with 20-30 people and less teams. I don't even think my suggestions were read besides the title before they were dismissed by the same old boys club I was talking about.

I'm sorry if you feel that way I guess. I read them and was either unexcited by them or thought they were bad.

I also don't like the idea for renaming trophies arbitrarily because of the same VALID reason I listed before. It breaks immersion. I feel like you didn't even read my post.

11 hours ago, Scooter said:

No it doesn't. It reeks of "no graphics guy here wants to create a logo only to have to replaced 5 seasons later", hell it's been said by before by graphics guys themselves.

6 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah I mean if he is going to try throwing me under the bus, that is Bushito 101. It's not some guy, it's Bushito with a weak excuse.

The charade he is putting on is pretty impressive despite the minor things that points him out.