Top Defensive Defenseman Award

I always hated that the top d-man award only considers the guys with heavy point totals. Just because a guy lines up at the blueline doesn't mean he can find his own end of the ice without a sherpa. Unsung roleplayer types should get their moment of glory and be recognized individually. If you put up 300 hits and 100 blocked shots in a season, you're making a very significant contribution to your team's success. I didn't crunch the numbers, but let's say that the average shooting percentage of a VHLer is 8%. If a defender blocks 100 shots, that's 12.5 goals prevented in a season. When you look at hits, the generally accepted rule is 1 of every 4 hits generates a turnover, so that's 75 turnovers a season for my hypothetical player, or better than 1 a game. 

Yeah, it's not a sexy award, but @BOOM gets all of the sexy awards anyway. 

• Commissioner

Personally I'm all for killing the sportsmanlike award and replacing it with a top offensive D award. That way we separate the two categories rather than arguing over which is more relevant.

16 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Personally I'm all for killing the sportsmanlike award and replacing it with a top offensive D award. That way we separate the two categories rather than arguing over which is more relevant.

This is probably the best solution

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

I'd rather do this than create an award purely for defensive defenseman.

Discussion got really deep on this, but part of our issue is just trying to define it stats based. I know @sterling had some thoughts on it that I agreed with at the time in the BoG discussion. But if I recall correctly there was also a group of people who felt that it'd be to loosely defined. 

I've always been of the opinion that a Top Offensive D award should factor in points with goals taking precedent over assists in close match ups) and hits also playing a minor factor. Then with Top Defensive you have hits and shots blocked being most important with a low hits taken and then of course some points to help determine. The issue is shots blocked goes to rebuilding clubs always. So you can't really gauge it. Even in a world with giveaways/takeaways our influx of rebuild versus not presents issues that as of yet we haven't been able to find a way to overcome. 

With award voting being taken a bit more seriously now I believe we should still explore it though. 

Is there even a way to look at the shot metrics and the analytics in the sim? I am all for an award for top defensive defensemen but I feel it would be mainly based around +/- and hits unless there's a a way to look at more advanced stats. 

13 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Is there even a way to look at the shot metrics and the analytics in the sim? I am all for an award for top defensive defensemen but I feel it would be mainly based around +/- and hits unless there's a a way to look at more advanced stats. 

http://vhlsim.net/VHL53/VHL53-ProTeamStats.html

Just now, Pablo said:

I was talking about Player/shot metrics. Not team.

You mean more than shots for, shooting percentage and shots blocked? Which all show up in the stats? Please explain. 

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

You mean more than shots for, shooting percentage and shots blocked? Which all show up in the stats? Please explain. 

No, I'am talking about corsi and all the shots against while on ice, shots suppressed while on ice, shots generated and all that. 

4 minutes ago, Pablo said:

No, I'am talking about corsi and all the shots against while on ice, shots suppressed while on ice, shots generated and all that. 

Yeah no we have none of that. The sim doesn't track who is on the ice at a given time other than if they are involved in some play. So we have no idea about line changes mid play or anything like that. Technically we have shots suppressed, provided it's a shot block. Shots generated only get tracked a bit obviously provided that the shot hits the net, since if an opposition player blocks the shot we have zero clue who is the one who shot the puck they blocked. STHS isn't perfect by any means. Hence why it's been so long for us to try to find a good way to incorporate awards like this. 

But what we have is still workable, it just requires us to look at stats relative. If a defender leads the league in shots blocked on a stacked team who gave up few shots its probably impressive for example. But if one leads the league in shots blocked on a team that faced the most shots in the league by a large margin, then we have to consider the how relative that is to other stats. It's not impossible to decipher though, as generally there is only one or two players each way that skew stats like that. 

1 minute ago, punkhippie said:

I still don't understand how the unnamed QUE LW1s can get on the ice and score when they are not on any of the four lines.

Even though are players are set to max endurance it's impossible for them to play the whole game. Since we don't have full rosters often when a player on a line gets subbed for stamina reasons the sim will determine that the freshest players are CPU. It's why teams with 3 d or five forwards have a bit more CPU time than those with more even if they aren't set. 

12 minutes ago, Devise said:

Even though are players are set to max endurance it's impossible for them to play the whole game. Since we don't have full rosters often when a player on a line gets subbed for stamina reasons the sim will determine that the freshest players are CPU. It's why teams with 3 d or five forwards have a bit more CPU time than those with more even if they aren't set. 

So we should have project third and project fourth!

But seriously thanks for the explanation