What do you think of this index?

Will

• Senior Admin

A little ways back STHS came out with a new 'dynamic' index and I messed around with it a bit at the time but ultimately determined our vhlsim.net server can't support it at the moment as it's missing a particular driver. Well I started messing around with it again and I got it running on a free host to test, so here it is: http://vhltestserver.16mb.com/index.php

The main difference is the much more capable statistics tables (being able to sort, hide columns, search, etc) and being able to click on most things to take you to new information pages for both individual teams and individual players. The search in particular provides huge potential with all the different types of constraints you can set. Also a neat feature is the Web Client, but as you can see it's still in testing. Right now we'd have to disable it on the real index because there doesn't seem to be any way to protect rosters with password or anything yet.

A final, less noticeable thing is that all the players and stats are stored in a database now instead of just being printed in HTML tables, making it much easier to access the data you want if your writing a script like my awardline program for example, where I had to make it pull the actual webpage and parse through ugly raw HTML in order to get the data I wanted.

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of contacting our host and either getting what we need enabled or switching from this windows server to one of their linux servers which I believe would allow us to enable it, don't think it would cost us anything just a bit of time. I figure people like @ThePenultimateOlympian06 and @Salt might appreciate the better stats functions and such.

In this information age, more is always better. Wouldn't hurt to contact the host to see what would need for that missing driver to be enabled. Maybe it's just a flip of a switch. If it's anything troublesome that would require either considerable money, the site to be shut down for awhile, loss of all forum content, etc. then not worth it probably.

I like it, the presentation on it is a lot better and I think some of the added features could make for interesting research articles.

The one glitch I found with the index was, when you go to the Team Stats for any team not called the Americans, it shows their stats against each team they've played, but New York doesn't have that for whatever reason.

It'd be a definite upgrade though, and if it would cost the same amount, I guess why not. Most important thing though would be to make sure making any switches wouldn't see any changes to (or worse, deletion of) the previous season indexes

• Senior Admin

Yeah there'd be no risk in losing anything, most of the indexes and games are already backed up on my external drive as it is so it just be a matter of adding the most recent ones and the risk would mitigated. The forum isn't associated with the vhlsim.net server thankfully.