VHL Cup Finals, GM 2: Quebec vs. Helsinki

JardyB10

2 hours ago, Frank said:

Yep these back to back championships are really fun. 

Yep, pretty much. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong but it feels like the last 20+ seasons has been nothing but Toronto, Helsinki, Davos, and NY winning the most cups with the odd charity throw in win for the other franchises sprinkled throughout. 

4 minutes ago, Devise said:

Yep, pretty much. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong but it feels like the last 20+ seasons has been nothing but Toronto, Helsinki, Davos, and NY winning the most cups with the odd charity throw in win for the other franchises sprinkled throughout. 

The charity ones include: Cologne, Seattle, Riga (2), Calgary and QC. The other 15 are NY, Toronto, Davos and Helsinki.

Jesus, now that I look into.....a little did you know....

Since expansion, which was S30, the Continental Cup Finals has featured one of New York, Helsinki, Davos or Toronto 22 of 25 seasons. Including a consecutive stretch currently since S44. Cologne making the finals from 42-44 broke up the stretch for Europe, and it was Calgary, Seattle and Quebec making it from the NA in those seasons. 

Also just doing a double take @KGR it goes well beyond the last twenty seasons. With the exception of the 3 seasons I mentioned above, all the way back to S18 is the last season you would have to go to find another example of a Continental Cup finals that did not feature one of the four franchises mentioned. That would be when Madrid (Vasteras/Stockholm) played Calgary. 

We don't have the indexes for anything past that, but I know Helsinki, Davos and Toronto won some Cups in the early days as well. So realistically I'd say 80% of all the finals played in VHL history have featured one of Helsinki, Davos, New York and Toronto. 

Edited by Devise

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Devise said:

Jesus, now that I look into.....a little did you know....

Since expansion, which was S30, the Continental Cup Finals has featured one of New York, Helsinki, Davos or Toronto 22 of 25 seasons. Including a consecutive stretch currently since S44. Cologne making the finals from 42-44 broke up the stretch for Europe, and it was Calgary, Seattle and Quebec making it from the NA in those seasons. 

Also just doing a double take @KGR it goes well beyond the last twenty seasons. With the exception of the 3 seasons I mentioned above, all the way back to S18 is the last season you would have to go to find another example of a Continental Cup finals that did not feature one of the four franchises mentioned. That would be when Madrid (Vasteras/Stockholm) played Calgary. 

We don't have the indexes for anything past that, but I know Helsinki, Davos and Toronto won some Cups in the early days as well. So realistically I'd say 80% of all the finals played in VHL history have featured one of Helsinki, Davos, New York and Toronto. 

It does seem an oddly high number but we talk about it as if we have 30 teams or something. We have 10, 8 per-expansion. Givwn that the team we're discussing would make up 50% pre-expansion it makes a bit more sense.

also, historically speaking, I think those teams have likely had more active GM's which means more free agents willing to go there. Free Agency is a huge deciding factor in regards to dynasties.

Nothing wrong with potential repeats, they are exciting for the players on that team. Not everyone was on the old HEL, TOR or NY team that got to experience it so it's new to most people when it happens. Not like it's the same members everytime.

Now three-peat is sketchy since it usually denies another good team a cup during their prime window ? Quebec, Davos still super young so don't worry about it!