Claimed:Power Forwards Rare in VHL

Baozi

• Head Moderator

bad-boys-2.jpg

“…Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?”

www.VHLHockeynews.com

The power forward is a rare species in todays VHL game.  Most players concentrate on speed and skill and the physically gifted as well as physically imposing offensive players are not easy to find. One of the best in the previous generations, one of the ISS scout gave us a statement on power forwards.

"Lately we haven't seen as many of the prototypical power forward players get to the VHL, there is a huge emphasis on speed and quickness still but recent trends have provided very few forwards willing to play hard and physical. There are maybe only one or two per draft these days at the very most so when one is found, teams pay a premium on obtaining that prospect typically."

How rare are power forwards now? Well they do exist, but what quantifies a power forward?

In our eyes, power forwards score, they hit and they are mobile and generally are tough players.

david-backes-2.jpg

Brennan McQueen, Riga Reign

McQueen is the first on our list as the new generation of power forwards. McQueen is in his second VHL eligibility year, after honing his skills and growing into his lanky frame by spending two years in the VHLM. McQueen weighs in at six foot three inches and two hundred and twenty pounds. He is big and nasty, strong and he has an offensive dimension to him as well. McQueen leads the league in hits with 206 and is third in penalty minutes with 104. His 33 points sits him fifth in rookie scoring currently and he has been maintaining a steady offensive pace. He is a bull on the ice, strong and fearless and tough to knock off the puck. His offensive game is rounding out but what he is especially skilled at is puck protection.

albertshall.jpg

Riley Stevens, Cologne Express

Stevens, a former prospect that never seemed to reach his full potential has settled into a more defensive power forward role these days. The former S33 prospect is tough and gritty as they come and chips in with a little bit of offense here and there. Stevens sits 2nd in the league for hits at 190 and has 15 points in 38 games. Stevens has a little bit of everything, but is deployed mainly as a checking forward. Offensive point totals aside, Stevens plays a vital role in puck possession as his hits allow for Cologne to force their opponents to turn over the puck.

eric%2Blindros%2Bthrows%2Bbig%2Bhit%2Bco

Xin Xie Xiao, New York Americans

The top pick of the New York Americans has had an up and down rookie season thus far. That is to be expected though as of the three forwards, he has had the least amount of development time before making the jump straight to the VHL from the draft. That being said, XXX as he is aptly known brings his determination, fearless play and 6 foot 6 and 250 pound frame to the rink and fights for every square inch of space when he is on. The rookie power forward sits 6th in hits with 164 and 6th as well in rookie scoring with 32 points.  Something that sets him apart however is the fact that he is a +11 in plus/minus despite being on a rebuilding team. XXX has been improving in all facets of his game, though his big priority right now is balance and puck protection. Originally touted as a #1 pick, he dropped during the draft due to rumours of a limited ceiling. Sofar though he has not shown any sign of slowing down in development and looks to be a key contributor for the Americans for years to come.

"the physically gifted as well as physically imposing offensive players"

seems like a description of a two-way forward to me

Sort of, but not quite. It's hard because hits are a defensive stat for us and they just are a stat for the NHL. A lot of hits happen seconds after a pass is made, ergo the puck isn't turned over. But it can impose and intimidate players causing them to mishandle the puck or try to avoid your hit next time. 

But even still the VHL "power forwards" you allude to Victor aren't really power forwards. They are balanced forwards. Boom is a good example of a hybrid power forward. Strong on defense, strong hitter, but he also passes and scores, as well as is a super strong puck handler as well as skater. 

While there are tons of NHL power forwards who have playmaking ability or puck handling ability more often than not the stereotypical power forward hits, drives the net, and can shoot the puck hard. That is it. You'll often see them forgo dancing around defenders or setting up plays in the offensive end to just power right to the goal, and take a shot. Or to get a head of steam and rip a slapper. Rick Nash is a good example of a mostly stereotypical power forward. Milan Lucic is another. VHL players often throw a lot of their TPE into puck handling and passing as well as the other stats which makes them more of an all around two way player as opposed to a proper power forward. Just my take on it anyway. 

• Head Moderator

My definition of a power forward was anyone with 75+ in checking lol. I think there are like 8 people in the entire league playing forward with that.

The last true super power forward was Smalling and I tried to get a quote from him but stupid Knight isn't responding.

Then you got everyone else that just has skating/scoring/passing. So generic.

Edited by tfong

• Admin

My definition of a power forward was anyone with 75+ in checking lol. I think there are like 8 people in the entire league playing forward with that.

The last true super power forward was Smalling and I tried to get a quote from him but stupid Knight isn't responding.

Yeah so both Tordahl and Zhumbayev apply.

• Head Moderator

Yeah so both Tordahl and Zhumbayev apply.

Yes, I counted 8 like u said. But AZ and Tordahl are old, I was going for younger players. Plus I think both of them put checking in later on rather than early in the beginning.

And yes Landry is on the list heh.

Marcellin

If you ain't got 90+ chechking, you ain't even close to being a power forward. Heck, even 99 should be the limit given how easy it is to earn TPE these days. I had 90 in my first season, and 99 by my second. During my time the only other player to do this was Lobo I believe (Marcellin got there too I think, but nearer the end of my career - can't remember in fairness). It always irked me how Jenkins/Reikkinen got so many hits with only maximum 80 in checking. 

It's a shame how few there are in the league, I think every team would be served well by having at least one. Plus, it's fun to see your dude rack up 10+ hits a game at times. I think for newer players though, and in general, points are sexier than hits. 

With the update scale the way it is, you'll never have real power forwards anymore because it is just too easy to get 99 in 5 different categories (would love to change it but whateves). 

If you ain't got 90+ chechking, you ain't even close to being a power forward. Heck, even 99 should be the limit given how easy it is to earn TPE these days. I had 90 in my first season, and 99 by my second. During my time the only other player to do this was Lobo I believe (Marcellin got there too I think, but nearer the end of my career - can't remember in fairness). It always irked me how Jenkins/Reikkinen got so many hits with only maximum 80 in checking. 

It's a shame how few there are in the league, I think every team would be served well by having at least one. Plus, it's fun to see your dude rack up 10+ hits a game at times. I think for newer players though, and in general, points are sexier than hits. 

With the update scale the way it is, you'll never have real power forwards anymore because it is just too easy to get 99 in 5 different categories (would love to change it but whateves). 

My next player all my carry over tpe will go into checking! :D

• Head Moderator

From experience, teams with more high end players with checking tend to be the winning ones.