Promotion/Relegation ; Is it possible ?

boubabi

Hello friends

While I was scrapping cheese from my pan for 3 hours, I was thinking about the VHL and his current situation with the Vikings/Eagles drama. While I'm solely against the relocation "come back", I think the relocation thing could be used as a spark to help, lets say, no so lucky franchise. But again, relocation just "for the lolz" isn't a good reason to move a team.  I think the most common reason for relocation is most often poor results on the ice, and I think there might be a way to use that on our advantage.

When we think about Promotion/Relegation, we might often refer to the futbol system where a team in a lower division can challenge the lowest team in a higher division so they can be promoted. It's hard to replicate that system here considering the VHL's team building and the VHLM's team building isn't just the same, therefore can't be comparable. But instead of swapping teams (completely), why can't we just swap team's identity ? Like the roster stays the same for the VHL team, but they could "relocate"  as the VHLM team, and the VHLM team is promoted to the VHL. How can we find a system that is fair and kinda stable ? Here's my idea.

First off, the "unsuccessful" factor. Even though the Vikings haven't won the cup "yet", we can't say they weren't competitive. They already made history with individual records and team records. In the other hand, from what I can remember, there's a good gap between last "real" competitive season from Cologne and Seattle, therefore, I could see them as "relocation" potential. 

So the structure that I thought was, if a VHL team fails to make the playoff for 3 years in a row, they are subject to a relocation the next season. The competing VHLM team could be a team that reached the finals 2 times in the last 3 seasons or something, I haven't really thought about that factor. SO lets make a hypothetical situation.

The Express failed to make the playoff for 3 seasons, and the Bratislava Watchmen (RIP) have won the cup 2 times in a row. What we would get is, a public vote where the community would decide if they would rather keep Cologne (the city, the color scheme etc) or they are replaced by Bratislava. We could say great arguments for both side, and see what most popular team wins. 

What could this bring is, maybe we would say less tanking (at the 3rd season) and it would force a quicker rebuild from the GM. Plus, we could see a rotation of teams, which could bring some hype as well. Some people are attached to teams in the VHLM (RIP Bratislava) and a promotion could maybe see them as a great opportunity to join. This is a long shot obviously and could hurt the "historic" side of the thing. But lets be honest, the league has seen 57 seasons, it's time to shake some things up.

Anyway, that's just a frenchmen rumbling ideas, and I wanted to make this public instead of in the BoG, because I think this is a community decision. Still a raw idea, but I think it could be up to discussion if it's possible, or what change could be made to it.

On 13/10/2017 at 12:10 AM, Beaviss said:

TBH it's a great idea in theory but I think there's to many moving parts for it to be a fix for anything.

well, that's up to discussion really. If we establish that a team that doesn't do the playoffs for 3 straight season, the upcoming season they are eligible for swap. I think decisind the VHLM team is kinda tricky but if there's a popular VHLM team that fits the region criteria (EU and NA), why not ?

Anyway, that's a long shot rly 

23 minutes ago, Corco said:

No, nothing personal but promotion and/or relegation is mostly a soccer thing, I don't think it really fits in here.

Have you read what I wrote? Because I'm not comparing it to the soccer system where team A becomes team B. Its more a team branding trade off

29 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

I get it only changes team branding but I don't really see the point to be honest. In your situation, would the Cologne GM now become the Bratislava GM, or would they stay with their VHLM team? Because nothing against VHLM GMs, but they all shouldn't be VHL GMs.

Nah same gm. So cologne gms would remain gm of the vhl team

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Nah same gm. So cologne gms would remain gm of the vhl team

So it's just a decent formula to justify name changes, but it's not entirely name changes either. Because realistically it's just team names we already have in the VHLM coming up. But the rosters stay the same.

Does Cologne die forever? That may be my issue with it. Because what if it isn't Cologne? What if it's Davos, or a notable team in this league who has so much history that you'd never rename them. Or you at the very least keep that name alive somehow. 

Well, cologne becomes a vhlm franchise and until the next relocation, they cant join back. If the leagur thinks cologne should come back at some point, they will just vote them back in.

And if the team as decent history and such, people will likely not vote them out. If we see the public support for a team, theres no reason to see them move. But if a team have no stigma anymore, they could be swapped for a vhlm team, with a community vote

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Have you read what I wrote? Because I'm not comparing it to the soccer system where team A becomes team B. Its more a team branding trade off

Even then, it just seems a little odd to me. I personally don't like the idea, I think it would create too much turnover for no real reason.

20 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Well, "possible" turnovers every 3 seasons, which is like 6-7 months here. Dont forget the team has to have a losing history to be eligible 

Is it just one team we target? Because if your saying like hey once every 3 seasons we take the teams that haven't made the playoffs in the last 3 seasons and aren't trending upwards at all and vote to see if their names/logo's get replaced with a VHLM one with more success in their league. Replace is the wrong word anyways, swap entirely it seems like what this is. 

I'm not entirely against that, as the only work that takes on our end is renaming things in the sim and on the site, and moving logo's around. It also rewards a VHLM franchise for being good consistently if a swap happens, as then those who are attached more to those names/colors get to see them represented in the VHL, and in the VHL long term if they were to go on winning streaks/be competitive. The issue is it's not like replacing the name gives the team any sort of boost really. If the team isn't competitive for 3+ seasons it's likely due to the fact that the GM in question isn't great. Which happens. Which means we change the team name/logo and swap it, and then that VHLM team name/logo gets thrown in the mud because team in question still sucks. 

Well, after 3 seasons of sucking, the team is surely becoming good anytime soon. If not, the league should just consider changing the GM as well at the same time. I think the benefits of that is, first of all, no team will be in a position to be hatred for a long time, we see new names/color scheme and makes the league less "the same old thing" over and over, plus, lile you said, rewards good vhlm teams.

Also, if we create new team names/color scheme, we could test them in the vhlm and see if they are popular. As, for an exemple, would be interested to join brastislava if they had a chance to join the VHL. The color scheme was great as well

• 4 weeks later...

I don't necessarily know what I think of this, but it gives me a thought experiment: if this was a thing in the 20s, would Ottawa and Saskatoon (under me for Ottawa, under Coach for Saskatoon) have lasted a decent chunk of time in the VHL under their replacement VHL GMs? This is the type of history I might actually bother looking up and doing an article about, as much as I typically don't like history articles