Another suggestion from yours truly

Quik

Yeah, I'm sure some are sick of me coming up with ideas to make the league easier for some people :P You could all do yourselves a favour and add me to the BoG, then I'd just keep this kind of shit in that forum ;) lol

Anyways, I think one way to entice new members to stick around is to beef up the welfare system. I understand that it's kept lower in order to reward members who are actively putting in te effort and posting PTs, but even that system is fairly crap now too. With insta-6, nobody really cares about quality content, and a lot of stuff ends up being low-effort anyways.

I think there's a few ways that we could up activity across the league, in regards to changing the PT system.

1. Get rid of the 590/VHL.com point. Again, most of these are shit-posts, and nobody gives a shit about them to begin with. I'd get rid of the point for that, and fold it into the weekly PT/welfare system. You can still keep it around, for people who want to post random shit that's league related, but no points for posting there. I think it's redundant and unnecessary to make people force out 150 words for 1TPE.

2. Get rid of the first level of Pension, and bump Welfare to that level. With the ease of hitting 400 TPE nowadays, having one player hit that level isn't that special. Get rid of that level. Now, it's 7 if you do a PT, 5 if you have a pair of 400TPE players, and 4 for newcomers.

3. Have activity check-ins. Do it the same as VHLM, but instead of 1 TPE/week, it's TPE given out at the end of the season. Something like 8 check-ins = 5 TPE, 6 = 3 TPE and 4 = 1 TPE. It could be the same thing, where you link to a comment in a game thread, or you could just have a check-in thread that everyone needs to post in. You could even do the same for people who complete PTs. That way, you're still encouraging people to complete their PTs.

4. Change the update scale. Obviously with the added TPE to players, it would require a new update scale to keep from people maxing out too easily. Something like 40-60 = 1, 60-75 = 2, 75-85 = 3. So to get an attribute up to 85, it would now cost an extra 15 points (80 vs the current 65).

I really think this is a solid way to up activity and get those new members that the league is sorely lacking. If you have guys getting a bit more TPE, their players start to show some more quality, and activity check-ins mean people stick around a bit more as well. Plus, making it harder to max out stats levels the playing field a bit, giving the "weaker" and younger players more chance to have an impact than they do right now.

Lots of welfare talks lately.

Soon we'll come to a EFL welfare partneship thing, I swear...oh wait, we already did it.

24 minutes ago, Quik said:

1. Get rid of the 590/VHL.com point. Again, most of these are shit-posts, and nobody gives a shit about them to begin with. I'd get rid of the point for that, and fold it into the weekly PT/welfare system. You can still keep it around, for people who want to post random shit that's league related, but no points for posting there. I think it's redundant and unnecessary to make people force out 150 words for 1TPE.

And yes to this. Like we type 500 words for 6 TPE and now we need to type 150 words for only 1 TPE? That's why much random ramblings are there.

Edited by hedgehog337

7 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

You mentioned the unholy phrase of "activity check" 

I forget who it is, but someones bout to come out of left field and flame your ass to hell.

Meh, let 'em. I'm fine with anyone who wants to have an actual discussion. As it is, the league's activity is dying, and part of it is the resistance to cater to new members/people who don't have the time or want to do PTs. Part of the reason I returned was because I planned on being a PP player, claiming 4 TPE/week en route to being a decent, but not amazing, player. Turns out, I'm still competetive when it comes to the league, so I still do my best to earn the most TPE I can, and have only claimed pension 2 or 3 times so far.

I'd rather the league be filled with active members and decent players than have 10-15 core members who are TPE whores, but everyone else is quiet. Part of the fun of the league is feeling like you're a part of something. Interacting with other members and making friends is a huge reason why many are here/joined in the first place.

Fuck, even if you want to make some of the activity checks interactive, like you have discussion posts, games, etc...where you need to join a conversation of some sort. Just something to stimulate the league when nothing is really working right now. I mean, PTs can be literal BS, because it's not worth it for people to even look at them, never mind review them. Why not have some sort of incentive for interacting?

1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

Lots of welfare talks lately.

Soon we'll come to a EFL welfare partneship thing, I swear...oh wait, we already did it.

And yes to this. Like we type 500 words for 6 TPE and now we need to type 150 words for only 1 TPE? That's why much random ramblings are there.

Don't know about the EFL partnership, what is that? But yeah, I've never understood the 590. It's just a waste of time that rarely sparks conversation/interaction.

1 minute ago, Quik said:

Don't know about the EFL partnership, what is that? But yeah, I've never understood the 590. It's just a waste of time that rarely sparks conversation/interaction.

We have now EFL-SBA partnership: like you write an article in EFL, then you can link this article into SBA welfare thread for 6 TPE and vice versa. It can bring some new bodies into the VHL, but also the majority of them are just going to claim these 6 TPE and leave. dunno.

3 minutes ago, Quik said:

Fuck, even if you want to make some of the activity checks interactive, like you have discussion posts, games, etc...where you need to join a conversation of some sort. Just something to stimulate the league when nothing is really working right now. I mean, PTs can be literal BS, because it's not worth it for people to even look at them, never mind review them. Why not have some sort of incentive for interacting?

I pitched something like this a while ago.  Along the lines of "Post a picture of your favorite piece of hockey memerobelia" or "tell us the story of how you met an NHL player" and things like that.  So im on board with you.

2 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

We have now EFL-SBA partnership: like you write an article in EFL, then you can link this article into SBA welfare thread for 6 TPE and vice versa. It can bring some new bodies into the VHL, but also the majority of them are just going to claim these 6 TPE and leave. dunno.

It's person to person I think.  I'm in the EFL, and I just link to my MS here.  but that doesnt stop me from participating in predictions and reddit recruitment and posting in the sim threads there.  I think it could work.

2 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

It's person to person I think.  I'm in the EFL, and I just link to my MS here.  but that doesnt stop me from participating in predictions and reddit recruitment and posting in the sim threads there.  I think it could work.

It could be a nice trick to bring them here too and then hope we all encourage them to be a solid part of our community and not ''came here-claim 6 TPE-gone''.

Edited by hedgehog337

19 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

I pitched something like this a while ago.  Along the lines of "Post a picture of your favorite piece of hockey memerobelia" or "tell us the story of how you met an NHL player" and things like that.  So im on board with you.

See, I think that could be a solid way to do it. Make an "Activities Center" Forum, with a stickied post where everyone keeps track of their activity checks. Then post different threads where people can check in. "Hockey Memorabilia" thread where you post a picture and/or just a story about your favourite piece(s) of sports memorabilia, "Pro-Sport Encounters" where you talk about pro athletes you've met, etc. You could even move the off-topic style discussions there/make it a part of that. Then, each week, you just make your posts that show some activity, and in the main thread you just update your post like:

Nov 06-12: Link 1 / Link 2 / Link 3

Nov 13-19: Link 1 / Link 2 / Link 3

etc. for the full season. After the season is done, someone tallies all the legit check-ins, and announces the activity points earner, and you start again the following training camp.

19 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

I mean, that's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't know that affiliating with a PT done in another league is the answer. Like, I'm only in the VHL, so if I did want to go the welfare route - were I a new member - affiliating with another league does nothing for me. I think the key is to do something in-house, rather than relying on activity in other leagues. Upping it from a literal pittance is a start. Whether or not people want to agree, bonus points for activity is another. It's easy, and has a high chance at retaining members who are continually coming back. And changing the update scale keeps the added TPE opportunities from breaking the sim.

I get that there's tradition, and this could change the league for many players, plus the transition of going from players who've already updated past the 85 scale to members who haven't hit it yet, but IMO it makes the league more competitive, which is what's fun. Get as many active members as you can, even if they don't create superstars, and the league can be much more competitive, which is way more fun than being on a losing team.

Edited by Quik

Just now, KGR said:

Get rid of the VHL.com section and make PT's worth 7 TPE to differentiate the actives from the welfare duds too. Make welfare either 3 or 4. Pending on previous players.

Pretty much, my proposal was basically 7 for full PT, 5 for Pension (2x400TPE players) and 4 for welfare. You still keep the cap at 9 TPE, but there's opportunity to earn an extra 5-10 TPE per season if you are active and/or post PTs, which is a big part of the reason for changing the update scale up.

27 minutes ago, Quik said:

Pretty much, my proposal was basically 7 for full PT, 5 for Pension (2x400TPE players) and 4 for welfare. You still keep the cap at 9 TPE, but there's opportunity to earn an extra 5-10 TPE per season if you are active and/or post PTs, which is a big part of the reason for changing the update scale up.

Thing is, pension shouldn't be upgraded at all. Still trying to reward activity over those who come in and post "claim" or any other random thing.

6 minutes ago, KGR said:

Thing is, pension shouldn't be upgraded at all. Still trying to reward activity over those who come in and post "claim" or any other random thing.

It's only "upgraded" by folding in the 590, and to differentiate from welfare. We could abolish pension altogether, which I'm ok with going just 7 or 4, I just figured it might be too much change lol.

I kinda like the fan590, good change to bump small fun article out, but still I could just as well live without it. Rarely post anything actually meaningful in the articles.

About welfare getting an improvement,  not a huge fan even if at the same time PT´s will be worth 7 tpe. If anything, the welfare/pension should be 3 TPE for everybody no matter what you have done in the past. PT´s get you the 7. Then make the update scale harder and that way make the difference between welfare army and the active users what it should be.

19 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

About welfare getting an improvement,  not a huge fan even if at the same time PT´s will be worth 7 tpe. If anything, the welfare/pension should be 3 TPE for everybody no matter what you have done in the past. PT´s get you the 7. Then make the update scale harder and that way make the difference between welfare army and the active users what it should be

And what @tfong or @Ahma are thinking about it? It just could drive them out of the league cause it's too harsh.

54 minutes ago, Quik said:

It's only "upgraded" by folding in the 590, and to differentiate from welfare. We could abolish pension altogether, which I'm ok with going just 7 or 4, I just figured it might be too much change lol.

Getting rid of pension loses some very valuable members to this league. We are struggling to keep everyone intact. Just doing that would make us lose around 30% of the community. I think a 7 TPE GFX/Media payout is enough to tell the difference from a 3-4 TPE welfare guy. If I get welfare which then would be 5, I do trivia which gets me 6, (7 if I ask a shit ton of questions and it gets used), compared to a 9 who busts their ass doing stuff. They should get 3 more TPE to write roughly 449-499 words more? In my honest opinion, I'd say leave welfare at 3-4 and then make welfare players cap per week 5. They can earn that via trivia/activity check. The activity check can only be claimed if they do welfare that week. Then they could max out at 5 easily or not, (based off if they can earn the other 1-2 TPE), (or job pay). Then leave the cap at 9 for those who do the work, bump up the pay to 7 per week from media/GFX. That makes it so people can get 7 minimum, still a small difference from the 5 but they can earn up to 2 more based off, trivia, job or some other new method, (for anyone who wants to suggest something to get the 1 TPE).

Also I'd suggest that we bring back the team PT's. Make it a seasonal thing that the whole team can earn but make it only 5 TPE this time. I know it's not much but still would be something to help out. The GM of the team would then determine who on the team earns that payout based off how much they helped. Before you say it will affect new members who don't know the league history, this gives them a chance to do just that.

Just now, hedgehog337 said:

It could turn their players into just a deep depth players, which is not really fun.

Or it could be time to create archetypes like other leagues already have. This would include caps and that could help withe the update scale and make sure people have to decide what kind of players they want to be.

Just now, hedgehog337 said:

It could turn their players into just a deep depth players, which is not really fun.

It could sure, but also could motivate them to be even more active when every TPE makes even bigger difference than now.

1 minute ago, jRuutu said:

It could sure, but also could motivate them to be even more active when every TPE makes even bigger difference than now.

I doubt so. More like they'll be disappointed in their player performances and leave the VHL cause it's not fun. Maybe it could motivate some members like me, who's always jumping between media and welfare, but as for the forever welfare members - I'm not sure about that.

3 minutes ago, KGR said:

Or it could be time to create archetypes like other leagues already have. This would include caps and that could help withe the update scale and make sure people have to decide what kind of players they want to be.

Decent idea actually.

Just now, KGR said:

This. From hockey leagues where I´m in and can think of right now, the only one that has hard cap is GOMHL with the 500 TPE max, quite interestingly it´s the league where you need to put in the least amount of effort in terms of PT´s to build nice player, but you really need to think what kind of player you want to be.

In other leagues it´s mostly choosing if you want to hit or not, thats about it.

Just now, jRuutu said:

This. From hockey leagues where I´m in and can think of right now, the only one that has hard cap is GOMHL with the 500 TPE max, quite interestingly it´s the league where you need to put in the least amount of effort in terms of PT´s to build nice player, but you really need to think what kind of player you want to be.

In other leagues it´s mostly choosing if you want to hit or not, thats about it.

2 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

I doubt so. More like they'll be disappointed in their player performances and leave the VHL cause it's not fun. Maybe it could motivate some members like me, who's always jumping between media and welfare, but as for the forever welfare members - I'm not sure about that.

If they truly like it here, the drop in performance as a welfare player should not be the difference maker in staying or going. The fact that they can even build a decent player without doing Pt´s should be reward enough.