Eliminate Donations (STZ Sug 3)

STZ

I understand the VHL has expenses, but t is no secret that the funds for the site costs are covered for the foreseeable future. We don’t invest the money into making the community better, it is seemingly just set aside doing nothing for the league.

Hell, it’s not even being used to pre-pay for months in advance, so we need to deal with the site being down almost every single first day of each month.

Either use it or lose it. I’ll continue to pay (not donate) to the site so my players don’t lose the advantage of paying - however call it what it is, a payment and not a donation.

Let’s use that money to improve the site.

• Senior Admin

While I wouldn't get rid of donations entirely, I do certainly agree they should be used more and that is something I called for many times but I have never had any involvement with the donation accounts or bills. I was opposed to having the google ads on here when they were as well because there was no need for extra money that wasn't being spent. 

I think the problem is we have never come up with great ways to spend it. I know we bought a copy of NHL once for a recruitment drive, it was nice and all but I don't remember how much it helped. 

So I think suggestions on how to spend it is the way to go. 

You could definitely do giveaways, which would help. Even if it's not copies of NHL, you could do things like merchandise from the member who wins' favourite teams (Like, you specify what it is they win, such as: shot glass, touque, t-shirt, shirsey, etc. then the winner of the giveaway basically just says which team/player they want it of). Even if it's just small stuff, it would be cool to win.

I do think the money we're putting into the league should be spent more on the league itself. At the end of each season, set aside a budget of what it costs to keep the site going, then use the rest to go into the league. No point in a bank for the league, there should never be more a couple months worth of site payments sitting around unassigned.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, KGR said:

How about VHL merchandise? Maybe give away a shirt with the logo on there or something, provided it's ok by Boubabi (since he redone the logo). Or mugs, etc.

We’ve considered it in the past several times over but the consensus every time seems to be that no one would really buy it. I guess maybe as a giveaway item it might be better though.