VHL GM 2nd Player (STZ Sug 5)

STZ

39 minutes ago, Quik said:

@STZ Do you have a course of action set up for when a GM steps down? That's the biggest flaw I see in this. Right now, if a team has a GM player, they can still trade for another player outside the organization to replace them, who can then trade the former GM player.

In this system, what would happen when a GM wants to step down, but doesn't want to retire their players? If you can't trade a GM player, would the GM player just be released and become UFA? What about acquiring a new GM from outside the organization? If you need to spend assets to acquire the GM, while a somewhat common occurrence now, would that not be hindering the team in the future? Would teams have to trade their old GM players for the new GMs player(s)? Especially if that new GM has 2 players on separate teams, would you send the old GM players to each team, and how would that be decided? Would the new GM basically be forced to retire at least one of their players?

Not trying to pick holes, like I said, I do like the idea of 2 GM Players per team, but these are the type of things that would need to be ironed out.

Just make it as simple as possible, keep the same GM Player rules and apply to both players.

So if a team acquired a player via GM Rule they would need to lose that player before the new GM created another player for that team via GM Rule.

In the case where a new GM from

another team joins (assuming they only have one player) then you would need to trade for their player, but not necessarily both of the GM players. In that instance you could package both GM players for the current one with equal value, or you could do a 1 for 1, and shop the second GM player somewhere else.

The team would be losing 2 GM players, but then would also be gaining 2.

The complication would come if the old GM had one and the new GM had two.. Basically you could just set a rule that the GM has to pay fair value for both players..

Pretty simple, just harder to describe without using specific players or situation.

• Senior Admin

There has been some talk among a few of us in the BOG that would like to see the 2 Player experiment come to an end.  For me it seems clear the 2 player project didn't catch on as we had hoped, and in a many cases it seems like it may have contributed to burning people out. Despite being completely optional, some of us agree that there is still a pressure to do it for some people and it ends up stretching them too thin. 

So what do you guys think of that? Essentially we would be stopping any new 2nd players from being created and allowing all existing ones to play out their careers as normal. 

What to do about GM's is another part of the discussion. Some people would like to see GM's retain the option to make 2 players as an incentive to GM, so that they can have a player free to do whatever with. Of course, that suggestion runs completely opposite to the suggestion here - although even allowing GM's to make 2 players that had to be on their team might be an incentive. Then again at that point I'm not sure how much sense it would make to keep the system in place for GM's

I would probably prefer 2 players coming to an end completely. 

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

He still had Riga btw :rolleyes:

And if not for NY I would have signed with you but let’s be honest, you weren’t going to be competitive the two seasons I had left. I had to try.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, STZ said:

It’s ben bad for a while. Look at Holik situation before that.. it’s not new.

Going back further, I was forced to retire Chekhov early because of no goalie market. It happens every few seasons basically.

Just now, Beketov said:

And if not for NY I would have signed with you but let’s be honest, you weren’t going to be competitive the two seasons I had left. I had to try.

I'm not blaming you for signing to NY lol. Just spaming here because of reasons.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

I would probably prefer 2 players coming to an end completely. 

I'm having fun with 2 players, but also this is the main reason why aforementioned (by myself) goalie market is seriously damaged.