Claimed: Boring bullshit no one will read [1/2]

Banackock

Maybe it's work kicking my ass? I did take a 2 week hiatus for my family member - and than an extend 4 day window where we had the funeral and shit. Maybe I was used to being back to work - so now that's affecting my leagues and shit? Or, maybe just maybe, it's the fact that the load of the leagues are heavy on my shoulders. I got the VHL (2 articles weekly, VHL.com, financier role and the Seattle GM role), plus the SHL (all their shit PT's and such), plus the GOMHL - which I mainly just do Activity Check's now and am also Co-GM for the Patriots. We've unfortunately had some shitty luck. On top of that, and extending onto the Seattle GM role, I'ver been carrying extra wait than need be. @Laflamme went inactive - anyone surprised? I drafted him when he came back as I really liked him before  he left the last recent time. He came back flying and I really believed in him. He can't make graphics now and you and I both know he won't write 500 words weekly - so I've been helping the guy out as much as I can since the middle or early parts of December I believe. This also includes rookie reports, biographies for him, Lunaro and another player.  Could we say that maybe I'm getting burnt out?

Then we have the GM role. Holy man, once upon a time I was so excited to be a GM in this league. Could it be the fact that I've just been in the role for so long that it has gotten dull? Could it be the fact that the league was more alive back then and it slowly, dwindling like a candle running out of wick? If nothing huge happens in the next 5 seasons and we don't see a large amount of new members come in, let's all face it - the league is fucked. This isn't really a huge motivator to be a GM. Why am I wasting all this time on something that may not be around in a year or two? It also isn't super enjoyable logging on to see nothing has happened in the last 8 hours and the only people on are the same 4 people on 3 hours ago. Maybe it's that.

I think if I were to actually pin point it, I would generalize it to "life stress" getting to me and the fact that I'm carrying to much of a load. I'm also in the PBE, that baseball league that is heavily mediocre and started way too soon. Don't get me wrong, love the idea of it - but with all the leagues out now, there's zero reason a league shouldn't be fully finalized prior to starting. It was heavily rushed and heavily noticed while I was there. Either way, good league - I just don't have the time to write 4 PT's a week there (short and long), plus weekly training and activity check, all while being a GM and writing myself and others PT's in other leagues.

I'd like to take a step back and relax, but it's not really in my nature as a GM to do. The guys I have in the locker room are great and I'd do a lot for them - and that's something I've always been like since the first day. MY negative rep as someone who sends too many PM's is silly. If that's the worst thing I do and causes people not to come, whatever. I do it because I care. I want to bring you in, be apart of the team and find success for those who already call Seattle home. If it's me being openly honest around the boards - I call it passion and I'd rather not bullshit and call it how it is. Kendrick always says "You're a GM. Be professional. People look to you". Actually, we're fake GM's on and online game. At the end of the day, we have our duties but professionalism isn't overly in the job description. We help out new guys out, our old guys out and cover the duties but at the end of the day, we're people just like the rest of you. If that's a problem with my style, whatever. I think the fact of underperforming or never really reaching the finals or anything is really starting to lay on me - as is the very minor of population who doubts my abilities. Seattle hasn't been able to catch much of a break, but 99% of people who come here, are happy. They enjoy their time. 

So at this point in my VHL tenure, I'm not sure what really to do. My first attempt and saving my leagues is cutting the PBE. It's the one I'm least into and I really don't give a shit about it. The next thing to go after that may very well be my one and only GM league. I've built a crazy good team but as the years moved on, I log in less and less into the site and do less and less on it. Also doesn't help I have a mac and STHS is a bitch to run on it.. The next site to go would have to be the GOMHL. It is the one that most reminds me of the VHL. It's slow - it's quiet and almost seems dead at times. Yet, it's probably growing at a quicker rate now than the VHL is. However, I don't care for the league. 8 TPE freely and only 3 for writing. It's means I can be a lazy prick and still make a decent player - and that's the only reason I'm still there. I also dislike how long it takes to develop. 11 TPE a week, but fuck does it take forever it seems. The last two things after that would be the VHL and SHL and right now, I'd keep the VHL over SHL but I'd try and hang on to both - despite really enjoying the SHL as of late (something I haven''t done since Magnus Jakobsen and around S17-23).

Fingers crossed. I'd hate to burn out and die in this league - becoming another brown, dried out leaf falling to the ground just like so many before me. For now, focus is on Seattle - turning around our recent shit luck and trying for a cup because at the end of the day, I will ALWAYS be a :sea:

Forsberg

6x2

15-21

22-28

Hey @Banackock just remember the VHL is supposed to be a fun hobby. Who cares what people say, just have fun with being the Seattle GM and worry about success second. If you have some good people on your team with you the fun will come first, and success second. Enjoy it!

So you're in every sim league? oh God.

2 hours ago, Banackock said:

@Laflamme went inactive - anyone surprised?

semi-active. He wrote (or you for him, idc) an article on Friday. what a disrespekt

2 hours ago, Banackock said:

If nothing huge happens in the next 5 seasons and we don't see a large amount of new members come in, let's all face it - the league is fucked.

So you're also a fan of potentially new welfare system, it seems.

33 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

semi-active. He wrote (or you for him, idc) an article on Friday. what a disrespekt

I was also in every league and it was too much because I was basically just doing PT's and not enjoying anything.

41 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

No

• 1 month later...

Review:

Obviously, it took me awhile to reply to this one. Just go with the flow, man. Take it easy. That's how I've done things over the past few seasons. If I don't feel like doing a PT these days, I don't force it....I'm just not going to do it. I haven't even made a graphic in months, because it got to a point where I was just banging it out for TPE and I didn't really have a passion for what I was creating.

I'm in all the other leagues too, and they are refreshing sometimes as something to go to when VHL isn't having much activity, but at least for me, VHL just feels like home.

Good read.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Claimed: Boring bullshit no one will read [1/2]