musings

Will

• Senior Admin

Since @boubabi sparked the idea of adding everyone from the career stats into a database on the Portal so that we can display overall all-time stats, plus all-time leaders in individual categories in a much better way then we do currently with the ton of spreadsheets laying around, I have made some progress. 

I successfully wrote the first 150 or so players from that spreadsheet into a database along with all their stats. Since this database is only connected to my local version of the site there was no need to write all 900, as I now know it works and was quite easy really. I am wondering though, is there any need to write all 900 some former players? Probably not considering so many are irrelevant, and even with some 'relevant' players they are so old that I wonder if they should be included. There has been a lot of calls in the past to separate the records at some point, for example have the records be post-expansion players only, so I'm not sure I should add all these players. Perhaps I should pay someone to sort through the spreadsheet and weed out some of the irrelevancy. The database will handle it just fine either way, so I guess it's a matter of preference. 

It will also be more difficult to get the single season records onto the portal (i.e. Most Goals in a Season) as I have no way of accessing single-season stats for older players, but we could probably manually create entries for those if we wanted. 

• Senior Admin
5 minutes ago, boubabi said:

isn't that a good start for individual record ?

http://vhlportal.com/STHS/VHL58/VHL58-LeagueRecords.html

I'm not sure, is that page accurate? Never looked at before tbqh. But STHS doesn't store those records in the STHS database anyway so would still have to add them manually, and in that case it's probably just easy to do it off of the spreadsheets and i can write them in the same way as the career stats spreadsheet.

• Senior Admin

But the main question is, should all players be including in the all-time stats? Or should it just be, say, S30 and above? Or you could even cut it off at S35, the first season simmed on THIS forum.