Mats Johnsson Press Conference

Quik

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 6:20 PM, Banackock said:

1. Thoughts on the VHL season so faR?

2. Thoughts on bringing back the WJC?

3. Plans for the team moving forward?

4. Does Johnsson join the team?

5. Happy to be back as a GM? What made you make the choice?

@Quik

1. It's been fun. A little frustrating that Johnson's still been pretty inconsistent offensively, really thought he'd have a shot at 120-130 points this season with the way things opened up. But I've enjoyed Calgary sitting atop the standings - kind of weird that I'm also at the bottom with Helsinki, but the Titans are rebuilding, and things are falling into place nicely.
  2. It was amazing. Really solid idea by yourself to bring it back, and I'm sure it'll be a hit with new members, and old, going forward. More games is always fun!
  3. Fairly transparent to anyone who's been paying even a little attention, but rebuilding. Gather as many assets as possible, and get back to contention as soon as possible.
  4. No, he can't sign as FA with the Titans anyway, and trading assets for a near-retirement player makes zero sense with where the team is at, so he won't ever be a Titan. Kronos will be my GM player and hopefully help lead the team back to glory.
  5. Yeah, it's been fun. The players on my team have been great, and have shown tremendous loyalty and dedication in the short time I've been back at the helm. Being more familiar with the league again, felt the time was right. Higgins had been searching for a while, so I checked in to see if he was still looking, and things ended up making sense.

1.) Are the Wranglers going to win the Cup?

2.) Who do you think will give you the most trouble these playoffs?

3.) Are you upset that you did not lead all defensemen in points this season?

4.) What are your plans for Johnsson next season?

5.) What do you think has been the biggest surprise this season?

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 2:52 PM, omgitshim said:

1.) Are the Wranglers going to win the Cup?

2.) Who do you think will give you the most trouble these playoffs?

3.) Are you upset that you did not lead all defensemen in points this season?

4.) What are your plans for Johnsson next season?

5.) What do you think has been the biggest surprise this season?

Wow, I totally thought I replied to this last month, lol... They're a little out of date, but I think I can still provide some answers to these:

1. We did, but even then I was confident we would. The competition was strong, but none of the other teams were as in their prime as us last season. Davos was already showing signs of falling off, and have since began their next rebuild (which was greatly accelerated by making the decision now, rather than next season, smart move by @Tyler). Quebec was a young team, and will be much stronger this season, but weren't quite ready last season. Riga and Seattle were both great offensive teams, but had holes that were exposed in the playoffs. Would have been heavily disappointed had we not come out with the win.
  2. My initial thoughts were Davos, just because they still had McAllister. But it ended up being Quebec, which makes sense, since it was the Finals. @Beaviss has done a great job with that team, and they were a strong side, pushing us to a 7th game. Part of that may have been STHS drama, but it was still an interesting series to follow, if not a long one lol.
  3. Extremely disappointed. MJ was primed to be the best D-man on both sides of the puck last season, and probably should have hit 120-125 points last season. It's a little annoying knowing that what was probably going to be his best season ended up a bit lower than my expectations. I was happy to at least be recognized with the Wylde, but having both would have been really cool.
  4. Well, this one is obvious now, but the plan was always to return for at least this season. Depending on how things go, we'll see what happens in S64, but I would not be at all surprised if MJ retires as a Wrangler.
  5. I wasn't too surprised that there was so much scoring last season - there weren't many goalies in their primes, aside from Stopko - but probably just how far ahead of the pack @Victor was with Cast when all was said and done? He had 17% more points than Thompson, which is pretty insane when you think about it. Would have been a cool footnote for him to end up with the Triple Crown, something I don't think has ever been accomplished - or at least not since the 1st Generation of the league?

35 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I'd love to take credit for being some sort of smart decision making guy but your most valuable asset going to FA kind of forces your hand a bit lol

Haha, still found a way to pretty much put yourself in line with everyone who’d already started their rebuilds. That’s 2 rebuilds that you’ve taken care of now that look pretty damn legit. 

1. What more are you hoping to accomplish before your current VHL career is over?

2. Who's in the best position to take home the Continental Cup this year?

3. What do you think was the biggest move of the S63 offseason?

4. What are your thoughts on how the S64 draft is shaping up?

5. How much longer until Helsinki is a genuine competitor?

@Quik

47 minutes ago, Enorama said:

1. What more are you hoping to accomplish before your current VHL career is over? 

2. Who's in the best position to take home the Continental Cup this year?

3. What do you think was the biggest move of the S63 offseason?

4. What are your thoughts on how the S64 draft is shaping up?

5. How much longer until Helsinki is a genuine competitor?

@Quik

1. One more Continental Cup at the least, if I could pull out a pair in my final 2 seasons, that would be incredible! On a personal level, I've got a couple things I'd like to do. First, I'd like to hit the 650 point barrier. MJ was always supposed to be an offensive D-man, so that would be a pretty nice way to end the career. It would mean averaging 108 points in his final 2 seasons, which is doable, though we'll have to see if he can do it. I'd also like, at least for this season, to continue his trend of improving upon his point, and assist, totals, each season. He's posted career highs in those 2 categories each season, so it'd be nice to continue it. It'd be really cool if I can do it even into his final season, and might be possible, since he's got enough banked for S64 to possibly be his best season.
  2. Tough to say, things are real tight at the top right now. I'd probably go with Calgary again, since we've still got the best goalie in the league, stats so far not-withstanding, and three of the top 5-7 skaters in the league as well. Once the rookies get a bit more experience this season, they'll provide some real solid depth for us in the playoffs, so I'd say that, until Calgary is done, they're the team to beat.
  3. Hmm. If Ironside had been allowed to continue his career, then the total trade that that would have encompassed would definitely have been it, with its repercussions being felt for quite some time. Barring that, I'd probably say Mac going back to Seattle. As a single move, he's the best player to change teams this season, and is helping Seattle in their quest for another Cup.
  4. I haven't been following it as closely as I did last draft, with my top pick being traded. It's looking like it'll be another 3-round deep draft, which is amazing for the league. I'm not sure on the top end, right now, as it seems a lot of guys are claiming welfare and practice facility, without hitting the cap. Obviously, those players are still assets, but ideally, especially in a class as deep as this one is looking, you have players hitting the cap to separate themselves, so we'll see what happens in the next month+. It's also looking like there's another 2 real strong goalie candidates, which is somewhat unfortunate for them, as there currently aren't many openings available, so they'll likely have to bide their time before getting a chance at starting.
  5. Depends on how things break. With our current assets, I wouldn't count us out next season, but I don't think anyone would be picking us as contenders for the C-Cup. I think, come 65, when our current prospects/youth has matured, we'll be a much more significant threat to other teams in the league. If we can add some outside help to bolster the roster, then who knows, maybe next season wouldn't be such a long-shot ;)

• 1 month later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Quik

On 12/3/2018 at 7:56 PM, Banackock said:

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Quik

1. Battle of the hair, and trudeau's glorious locks choke trump out, after trump's falls into a sewer
  2. Pretty much any farm animal, really. Delicious, delicious meat!
  3. Hockey, Leafs. Any other answer is wrong.
  4. Hmmm...Marry Beyonce, because $$$, kill Margot Robbie because I have to kill one of them, and fuck Blake Lively because it gets me closer to Ryan Reynolds!
  5. Right at this moment? A robot to do all of my work, but not take any of the credit. Would be nice to just chill while something else gets my work donw :)

So I'm gonna start this with a Helsinki Joke for you .... What does a Pepper ( @Sonnet) do when it’s angry? ...It gets jalapeño face!

Now that that is over...

1.) What’s something you could teach me about?

2.) Is Johnsson happy with his performance this season?

3.) If you could pick any team to be on in the VHL where would you go and why?

4.) S64 draftee you look forward to playing with the most and why?

5.) If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your friends and family assume you had done?

• 2 weeks later...

Asks for PC questions, doesn't answer them any time soon...and so much has changed since then lol

On 12/10/2018 at 4:01 PM, BladeMaiden said:

So I'm gonna start this with a Helsinki Joke for you .... What does a Pepper ( @Sonnet) do when it’s angry? ...It gets jalapeño face!

Now that that is over...

1.) What’s something you could teach me about? 

2.) Is Johnsson happy with his performance this season?

3.) If you could pick any team to be on in the VHL where would you go and why?

4.) S64 draftee you look forward to playing with the most and why?

5.) If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your friends and family assume you had done?

1. Hmm...I'm not a very good teacher, maybe something with graphics? Or how to assume that you're not knowledgeable enough on anything that you could teach others? lol
  2. Definitely not. The season started out extremely promising, but ended with MJ failing to continue his trend of improving his assist and point totals every year of his career. That was something I was actually extremely proud of, so to have that streak snapped was a bit frustrating.
  3. Kinda obvious at this point, but it was Helsinki. I've got a chance to turn the Titans into a true competitor this season, and having the best D-man in the league be a part of that is nice. I think it'll be a mutually beneficial endeavour, which is why I was willing to pull the trigger on the move, as MJ has a chance to cap off a potential HOF career while rewarding my players with an earnest shot at taking down the more veteran teams.
  4. Well, there's only 2 S64 players in the Titans org, and the only actual draftee will be returning to Oslo, which means there's not really a real option for Johnsson to choose when answering this question, is there? That said, I'm obviously extremely excited for Bailey's debut. I'm hoping that it goes much better than his VHLM showing, and think it will now that I've uncapped him and have his attributes approaching a reasonable level to expect big things from. Knowing he'll be at 500 TPE by the deadline is extremely promising on both a personal and team level.
  5. Hmm...My friends would probably assume it's a BS possession charge, or possibly public intoxication - because I'm so damn intoxicating :D. My family would probably assume either public drunkenness or theft, since the only time I ever really got in to trouble as a kid was when I stole some of those hockey pins that you can put on your backpack or jacket, that they sell at hockey tournaments. Side note, only reason I got caught was because my "friend" got caught and ratted me out like a punk (literally telling them where the stupid pins were hiding). Jokes on him though, because he went down a pretty bad path a few years later, and I haven't talked to him in about 13 years.