Matt Thompson Press Conference

Beketov

• Commissioner
On 2018-04-05 at 2:12 PM, Daniel said:

How do you see this player working out compared to your past ones?

Hard to say. Obviously with every player I would like to have more success than in the past but my last few have been disappointing a little. Holik had great numbers but could never bring home the cup. Sokolov also couldn’t bring home the cup but was even worse with kinda mediocre numbers. Obviously with Thompson I would like to have things work out better than they have been lately.

If you could give one piece of advice to a new VHL member what would it be?

Stick with it. The VHL can be very confusing at first. There’s a lot going on and especially if you are new to sim leagues it can be very over-whelming at first. There’s plenty of people here to help you put though. I promise if you stick with it you’ll find yourself a new hobby you can enjoy. I’ve been in leagues for probably close to 15 years now with the VHL taking almost 11 of those. You do get hooked.

After being around here for such a long time, is there anything that you still really want to achieve with one of players that you haven't yet?

There’s nothing really that I have NEVER achieved; I mean an MVP or playoff MVP I guess but that’s wishful thinking since I don’t tend to do much individual award wise. However with this being my 10th player and only have one in the HoF it would obviously be nice to get another one in.

On 2018-04-08 at 11:46 PM, Shaka said:

How come you didn't tell me we were prospects together?! That's fun

I mean we aren’t really which is why I didn’t mention it. You’re S60, I’m S61. Unless you just mean prospects in the sense that we’re both in the VHLM. In which case, yes, that is accurate and indeed kind of fun. I look forward to being destroying you in the future :P

You catch my boy's OT goal sending our series to Game 6?

I did, I was not pleased. You guys definitely fought a lot more than anyone was expecting you to fight and you made it interesting. Annoying for me because I didn’t want interesting, I wanted an easy win; but the best team won out eventually anyway haha

What's one of your favorite memories here in the VHL?

Probably being named to the Builder HoF. Getting a player into the hall is always great but to get in as a builder kinda meant more because it didn’t just mean I figured out how to make a player the sim engine liked. It meant that I contributed important stuff to the VHL as a member. It definitely felt great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. What do you think are Ottawa's biggest weaknesses at the moment?

2. Now that we are halfway through the season, with Victor seemingly back in strong form, how do you think Pod Cast will shake up the top of the draft?

3. Who is Ottawa's MVP?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner
On 5/6/2018 at 8:07 AM, street said:

1. What do you think are Ottawa's biggest weaknesses at the moment?

2. Now that we are halfway through the season, with Victor seemingly back in strong form, how do you think Pod Cast will shake up the top of the draft?

3. Who is Ottawa's MVP?

1. I would say our age. We have some very top-end S62 talent but we don’t have Jose veteran VHLM members that some teams have to push them over the edge. Our recent additions will help but we need to get them into the roster first.

2. Hard to say. I’ve been saying since the get go that Cast, Gate, and I were likely to be the top three and I stand by that. I think team needs are more or less going to dictate who goes where.

3. Probably Gate or Jokinen. You two and myself are all pretty close with points but the defensive stats obviously aren’t even close. I may have the most goals but that doesn’t mean I’m any better than you guys.

New week, new shit.

1. Thoughts on your season so far?

2. Predict next season. What's it gonna look like during your rookie season? 20 goals? 50 points? 80?

3. How have you liked being a commissioner thus far during your tenure? 

4. Thoughts on a potential recreate if you're drafted into SEA... say Rocky Thompson. ?

5. Biggest surprise to you in the VHL season so far?

@Beketov

Edited by Banackock

• Commissioner
On 5/21/2018 at 2:21 AM, Banackock said:

2. Predict next season. What's it gonna look like during your rookie season? 20 goals? 50 points? 80?

Well that really depends how well STHS wants to work with me. If my last two players are any indication I’ll play well sometimes and completely disappear other teams. I’ve also never managed to have a good rookie season with any of my players so I don’t have any kind of insane expectations. I would hope to hit at least 30 goals and 50 points but I don’t think that’s necessarily going to happen.

How have you liked being a commissioner thus far during your tenure? 

It has it’s moments. Some days it’s an amazing job that feels ridiculously rewarding and other days it feels like I’m a babysitter dealing with whiny children. For the most part things have been going well though so I can’t complain. I feel like Will and I are making a lot of good changes for the league and things are turning around quite a lot from when I came in.

Thoughts on a potential recreate if you're drafted into SEA... say Rocky Thompson. ?

Ah, my half brother Rocky? He’s kinda a prick but I’d be willing to play with him so long as he doesn’t steal the puck from my too often; or is he playing in net these days?

1. Prior to a game, what does Matt Thompson like to chow down on (eat)? 

2. Does he have any superstitions? If not, make one up?

3. Career goals for Thompson?

4. What are your Top 3 games to play (on PC, Xbox or whatever).

5. Little personal here, Bek. Top 3... what are your favourite foods? 

@Beketov

Edited by Banackock

Do you think there could ever be a re-introduction of Player 2 for the general population of the VHL, if under stricter updating guidelines?

• Commissioner
On 6/4/2018 at 9:16 PM, Banackock said:

Prior to a game, what does Matt Thompson like to chow down on (eat)?

Nothing too fancy, just some good carbs and protein. Usually some pasta, often linguine specifically, and chicken. Maybe some broccoli, peppers or mushrooms thrown in as well. Really anything veggie wise that's in the fridge.

Does he have any superstitions? If not, make one up?

I don't think it's anything major really, most players probably do this, but the left skate has to go on first. No real reason, just has to. Also there needs to be an even number of revolutions of tape put onto my stick top and an odd number on the blade.

Career goals for Thompson?

Definitely want a cup. The Beketov agency has been without one for over 12 seasons now (not sure the exact amount) and I'm looking to end that drought. Any personal awards or perhaps a HoF ballot after that would be great but ultimately I want the Continental cup first and foremost.

What are your Top 3 games to play (on PC, Xbox or whatever).

First off, I'm a Sony pony so get out of here with that Microsoft crap :P Generally I'm a CoD player first and foremost so that's always going to be my primary. The portal series is always great to run through as well, just good jokes. After that probably the Uncharted Series. Just great stories in there.

Little personal here, Bek. Top 3... what are your favourite foods?

Pizza, call me a fat ass but I don't care, I'll eat that shit everyday. After that probably a nice medium-rare steak; which Ill be having for dinner tonight actually. Third would depend how I'm feeling on a given night but be split between a nice juicy burger or any kind of Thai dish; usually Cashew chicken.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:44 AM, Quik said:

Do you think there could ever be a re-introduction of Player 2 for the general population of the VHL, if under stricter updating guidelines?

Maybe some day but personally I don't think so right now. Player two was introduced wrong from the start in my opinion and it did far more damage to the league than it did actual good for it. It would definitely need far stricter guidelines but I'm not sure what those would be that would encourage the player growth while also not burning out our members. Ultimately I just don't think it's a system that works amazingly well here.

1. While I recognize that neither actually matter in the long run, what would be more special for you: winning this pre-draft TPE battle or being selected higher than me in the draft?

2. If you had to predict right now, where would you see Thompson ranking among your players when his career eventually comes to a close?

3. Do you think losing the Finals in a Game 7 is more disappointing than if we had lost in four or five games? Does coming that close only to have it slip away just add to the sting of defeat, even though we were considered by most to be the underdogs?

4. If I flip two coins, and tell you that at least one of them is heads, what are the odds that one of the two coins came up tails?

5. This last question puts me up to 245 TPE; how do you feel about me using your press conference to officially take back the lead?

• Commissioner
On 6/9/2018 at 7:20 AM, street said:

1. While I recognize that neither actually matter in the long run, what would be more special for you: winning this pre-draft TPE battle or being selected higher than me in the draft?

Obviously kinda late answering this but going before you meant more to me. I would have been perfectly fine with being drafted lower and having less TPE though. You were a hell of a competitor for me this draft and I had good fun with the competition. It does feel nice to get drafted above you though haha.

3. Do you think losing the Finals in a Game 7 is more disappointing than if we had lost in four or five games? Does coming that close only to have it slip away just add to the sting of defeat, even though we were considered by most to be the underdogs?

I mean I guess a bit. Going into the series I didn’t give us much of a chance to win so getting swept or losing in 5 or something would have just been expected. Getting to game 7 and within 1 goal does sting a little bit more purely because I didn’t figure we’d come close. Once we did, it really felt like we could manage to get the cup only to have it slip away.

5. This last question puts me up to 245 TPE; how do you feel about me using your press conference to officially take back the lead?

You son of a bitch with you’re uncapped TPE earning beating me up haha. Gonna be a fun battle the next 8 seasons I think.

1. Expectations for the season for Thompson?

2. What position do you think the Bears should draft next?

3. Any prospects you think that stand out in the next draft? Too soon to tell?

4. Which team wins it all?

5. When do you feel the Bears rebuild will be over?

@Beketov

• Commissioner
On 6/18/2018 at 9:41 PM, Banackock said:

Expectations for the season for Thompson?

I’m hoping to have a solid year; so far I’ve been hit or miss but I’m really hoping to be a solid sniper for the Bears. As far as specific expectations are concerned: I’m hoping to lead rookies in goals at the very least.

Any prospects you think that stand out in the next draft? Too soon to tell?

Obviously it’s hard to look past Leph Twinger right now. He’s really been on fire since declaring for the draft. It’s looking to be a solid draft all around though.

When do you feel the Bears rebuild will be over?

It’s hard to say right now but I would imagine it’ll be within a few seasons. We’re really off to a fast start already so I imagine that we’ll certainly be out of the rebuild faster than Toronto and Riga.

1. Thoughts on your season so far?

2. Has their been any surprises this season for you in terms of the VHL standings or players play?

3. Who do you think ends up in the finals? Willing to predict how many games it goes to?

4. Does Thompson formally wear the "C" next season?

5. What moves would you like Seattle to pull potentially in the upcoming off-season?

@Beketov

+1 Kovalchuk

• Commissioner
On 7/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, Banackock said:

Thoughts on your season so far?

I wouldn't say I'm upset with my season but I also wouldn't say I'm over-joyed with it. Would definitely be nice to be leading rookie goals or something like that. Leading forwards in Shots Blocked is kinda nice though, if not completely unexpected. Hopefully I can pick the pace up a little bit as the season continues but we aren't a team that is going to score a lot, I knew that going into the season.

Has their been any surprises this season for you in terms of the VHL standings or players play?

A couple for sure. Obviously, like everyone, I was expecting NY to be performing better than they are. Standing wise they are probably the biggest shock for me. Player wise Cast and Preencarnacion are obviously huge standouts right now. Just just as rookies but in general; those guys are seriously going off. Both top 10 in points and Preencarnacion being only 1 goal back from the league lead. These aren't rookie numbers usually; it's crazy to witness.

Who do you think ends up in the finals? Willing to predict how many games it goes to?

At the start of the season I think I predicted NY and Calgary but that doesn't seem nearly as likely now. I still have confidence in Calgary but I'm thinking Helsinki might make the finals as well again. I'm not sure why, I just think Davos is going to choke in the playoffs. As for how many games, if it's Calgary and Helsinki, I'm thinking 6.

Does Thompson formally wear the "C" next season?

Do I not formally wear it this season? I mean without top leader it's all a formality anyway but I would gladly wear the C again next season depending on who we bring in.

What moves would you like Seattle to pull potentially in the upcoming off-season?

Honestly we're at a point where I don't foresee any major moves being necessary as we don't really have any pieces to deal anyway. There is the potential of moving up in what could be a solid draft obviously but that will be entirely dependent on how the lottery goes. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and land the first overall pick again without having the trade up.

Which team wins it all?

Right now I'm leaning toward Calgary, I think they have a very strong roster to bring home the cup. Obviously Helsinki has proven to be the team that never dies though so who knows what could happen.

@Beketov

1. What are your thoughts on your fellow rookies, more than half-way through the season?
  2. Do you think Seattle can be the next Davos?
  3. Would you rather have 1 Chara sized Patty Kane, or 5 Kane sized Zdeno Charas?