Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

Toronto Off-season Presser #2

1. What is the biggest issue Toronto needs to address before the start of the season, in your opinion? 

2. We have a lot of young guys coming into the team who will be expected to play right away, are you worried about growing pains at all? 

3. The VHL draft is on Friday, any players you're keeping your eyes on heading into draft night? 

4. What's one area of your game you want to improve on heading into this season? 

5. Who is a player that you looked up to as a kid, in any sport?

6. Got any pets? Tell us about your pets, we love pets here in Toronto! 

1. What is the biggest issue Toronto needs to address before the start of the season, in your opinion? 

I think we have a couple areas we need to think about, but nothing that needs immediate addressing before the start of the season. First I would say we need do get deeper offensively. But long term we need a solution in goal for when Hextall retires. We are lucky to have such an elite goalie right now, but we need to find a solution for the post-Hextall era.

2. We have a lot of young guys coming into the team who will be expected to play right away, are you worried about growing pains at all? 

Nope, I think we are all poised and ready to make contributions to the team. I'm hoping hard work pays off! Can't wait to get started.

3. The VHL draft is on Friday, any players you're keeping your eyes on heading into draft night? 

Yes, I'll be interested to see where alot of guys land, but I am really anxious to see where Kristof Welch ends up. He was a waiver claim of mine in Yukon last season and I worked alot with him to develop his player. I really hope he ends up in a good home!

4. What's one area of your game you want to improve on heading into this season? 

As a defenseman,  I think you start with taking care of the game in your own end first.  That being said, I plan on maxing out my defense by the time we drop the puck on the season. Besides that, I'm planning on improving my puck handling and skating also.

As a young kid I really loved Felix Potvin, goalie for the Leafs. As I grew into a teen I'd say I was pretty big into Curtis Joseph and also Roy Halladay from the Jays. 

Not much of a pet guy because I'm allergic to most cats and dogs so that kinda ruins it for me lol. If I could get a pet though, I'd probably get a bunny rabbit cause they're adorable.

Need to add some more depth on our blue line, we were able to add a good back up for the future and we have two 1st to add to our youth but I want to see some more experience on the blue line.

We had a lot of rookies on the team this season but we fit in well and made the team better, I expect the new rookies to help us take the next step right away, we might have some growing pains but not enough to stop our run to the playoffs.

Look I’m a player, the days of watching the draft board are passed me. I trust our GM to pick the best players available. I expect nothing but the best coming out of our picks this season!

I would like to improve my face off skill, I want to be a center in this league and that is a big part of it. I’m happy being on a top line but I want to be a top line center in the near future. 

I was a big Doug Gilmour and Cujo fan growing up. I don’t really have favourite players now a days but love those two. 

I don’t... I love pets though. Want a black cat name ninja!

On 1/12/2021 at 6:39 AM, Dtayl said:

1. Some extra depth would be great, mainly to the blue line but another forward or two would be great.

2. Not really, I think the new guys will settle in quick.

3. Sadly no, I don't usually pay much attention DX

4. Really for me it's just keeping my all around game good, try to have no weak points.

5. I sadly don't have an answer as I did not watch sports growing up DX

6. I have a cat named Smudge, got him from the SPCA back in 2013 after my other cat got hit by a car. He's mostly black with some white on his feet, chest and face. He's very relaxed and cuddly ^^

On 1/12/2021 at 9:39 AM, Dtayl said:

1.) Adding another man on Defense, which Peace should handle in the draft. After that our team will be loaded with talent going forward.

2.) As one of the new guys coming onto the team, I guess I can't really answer this. But I'm excited to lace up for Toronto and do whatever I need to do to help get the team wins!

3.) Honestly, I haven't even looked. I was still down in Mexico drinking away the pains of losing to Philly in the VHLM championship.

4.) Positioning and scoring. Those need to get better and once they do I will be looking like an offensive machine.

5.) Bobby Orr,  he's still the best defensemen to ever play the game of hockey.

6.) I have a dog named Appa! He's a small white dog that resembles Appa from the show Avatar: The Last Airbender!

On 1/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, Dtayl said:

1. As the GM, I know we need a stronger forward group to really compete with the teams above us. Toronto is young and well develop into a better team, and we still have that S77 LON 1 to work with, so maybe there's a way we draft or trade for our goals. 

2. Nope! 

3. We drafted who I wanted! 

4. Yes, yes, tell me what you'd like to improve upon! 

5. Jarome Iginla

6. I've got two dogs; Sadie and Chloe!

I don't see anything that sticks out. I like to wait until we play 15 to 20 games to see what trends are forming.

I would hope they add to our success from last season and we can make the playoffs.

Looks like a good draft. I haven't scouted any players.

I'm working on face offs, along with a strength program that should help in the circle.

Marcel Dione was one of my favorites. Very nice guy to talk to.

I have a Jack Russell/Weener dog mix named Oscar. He a lot of fun and is treated better than my kids.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:39 AM, Dtayl said:

1. Well I don't see a whole lot of issues anymore, we have our all star goaltender and a great new guy coming in to fill his shoes after now. I think we're ready honestly.

2. Nah, I think some of these guys coming in are ready to go, Callahan especially is going to be a superstar.

3. Not really, I don't usually watch the draft, but anyone Peace picks is going to be good.

4. I want to work on my defensive stats more.

5. Roberto Clemente and Martin St.Louis

6. I have two cats, one nammed Izzy and the other named Vinny, Izzy is Vinny's mom and shes an absolute bastard but I love her, Vinny is hella playful and likes to sleep on my throat when I'm asleep.

For the week of 24-JAN-2021. 

1. (For players:) What do you think of Toronto's draft? \ (For prospects:) How does it feel to be selected by the Toronto Legion?

2. Toronto has some impressive depth this season. Nine forwards, five defenders and two quality goaltenders. Do you think we make the playoffs? 

3. If we make the playoffs how far do you think we'll go? 

4. We've got five rookies joining us for the upcoming season. Do you have any tips for them? 

5. What do you expect from yourself this season? 

6. What do you expect from management this season? 

@NickSunderbruch @Callahan @Matmenzinger @Rayzor_7 @Steve @gregreg @osens 

@ngine4 @DoktorFunk @fromtheinside @Juice

@ROOKIE745

@hedgehog337

1. (For players:) What do you think of Toronto's draft? \ (For prospects:) How does it feel to be selected by the Toronto Legion?

I think we were in the perfect position at 5 and 6 to scoop up to core players to our team and we drafted exactly what we needed. Juice and Funk should fit in seamlessly with the team!

2. Toronto has some impressive depth this season. Nine forwards, five defenders and two quality goaltenders. Do you think we make the playoffs? 
I think we will 100 percent make the playoffs. We were super close last year and this year our roster is significantly improved. I think we for sure get in.

I think we could get to the second round depending on a few things. I think all of the young core needs to keep grinding out their development during the season in order to compete in the playoffs. And  I truly believe alot of the playoff sims are luck, so if the RNG is in our favour, who knows!

4. We've got five rookies joining us for the upcoming season. Do you have any tips for them? 
Don't stop improving. We have put ourselves in a great spot to do well this season but we gotta keep improving. Last year we were walking. This season we are jogging. Next season we will sprint.

I have built my player alot like gorlab's defensemen. He just won the RotY with 60 points as a defensemen. So I am shooting for a 60 point season and I would like to be over 500 TPE by playoffs.

I expect them to just continue what they've already done. I like the transparency in the team Discord, and I think if we stick to our plan we could do big things in the future!

1 hour ago, Peace said:

To have been selected is an honour in it's own right, but after talking with Peace in the lead up to the draft, Toronto was extremely high on my board of "I really hope I go there" for many reasons. The first is my boy @fromtheinsidewho raised me up to be the VHL member I am today so I owe a lot to him, so to have him on the blue line with my is insanely exciting. The second is that Toronto really looks like a team destined for a dynasty. We have two out of the three main positions locked down with goaltending and defense for the foreseeable future with players all either from last year or this year who are all destined to be at the very least great, and now all the the General Manager needs to do is really focus on Forwards, which is probably the easiest position to look to add to. Finally, after being drafted, from what I heard from Peace regarding Toronto taking me no matter what with their top pick despite myself being a first gen and other prominent players being available, I am beyond ecstatic to be apart of the Legion.

I think making the playoffs is the bare minimum this team needs to get, anything less would be extremely disappointing. We have a solid roster, but we do have a lot of rookies and young players still developing so I can definitely see some bumps in the road this season due to that. However missing the playoffs would be absolutely gutting, but going far into the playoffs is up in the air. I don't see us as contenders yet, but I think our time will come sooner than later.

Of course i want us to go as far as possible and contend for the cup, but this season is probably not our season to really contend past the second round, depending on the matchups. I think we will probably be a 4th or 5th seed in our conference, so I can see us having a competitive first round against a team like Vancouver who on paper I think we'd have an edge to beat, however even if we make it past a team like them, that would mean we'd have to go up against some powerhouses like DCD or Calgary in the next round. Although I don't see us going too far in the playoffs, I think by the time they start our young core will get even better and be ready to really give any team a run for their money, but our really time to shine will be as soon as next year to show that we are contenders.

4. We've got five rookies joining us for the upcoming season. Do you have any tips for them? 

Seeing as one of them, and that I'm still relatively new overall, I don't really have any tips besides that most of the pressure will be coming from yourself more than anyone else. Believe in yourself and your player and your build, and even if you don't hit the ground running, this is all apart of your development and even the best players aren't the best right away. We have an amazing team blueprint in the making, stick with the team and this core and we'll be a dynasty.

I'm only going to be roughly around 300~ TPE as a defenseman in the top 4, so I know that it will probably be a rougher season for myself compared to if I dominated the VHLM for a season before coming up. But I still have high expectations for myself and that I want to contribute as much as I can without being a liability. I would say my high goals would be a 30 point season as well as being a +10 minimum, however my realistic goals would be around 20 points and not having a negative +/- on the stat sheet.

I have absolute faith in Peace. He has shown me loyalty and I want to give it back, and I will believe in all his management decisions even if I don't agree with them right away or I'm a bit confused with the trade/decision. However with that being said, all his decisions around the draft are exactly what I would have done and they all make absolute sense on paper. With our team build before the draft, the Legion was missing a goaltender of the future as well as adding some key forwards to really tie in the team. With the acquisition of myself, Rayz, and Hedge, we have a goaltender of the future, another fine forward piece, as well as myself adding to the core of the defense that is all young and that should stick together for the now and future. I would say Peace has a very similar same thought process as I do, so the only thing I would expect is to stay the course of what we are doing currently, don't make any huge trades unless necessary, and have one more solid draft and target forwards to really make this team into a dynasty.

2 hours ago, Peace said:

@ROOKIE745

@hedgehog337

1. We may have had only the 2 picks but they were both first rounders and I'd say both excellent picks.

2. 100% yes, if we miss it that would be a massive failure.

3. If everyone keeps updating I think we could make a deep push!

4. Go at your own pace, if you need a break just do the simple stuff and then come back when your ready

5. To keep getting better, no falling back.

6. Good communication, adjustments, and keeping us up to date.

4 hours ago, Peace said:

1. I thought we absolutely nailed it, brought in a fantastic group of guys.

2. For sure. We weren't far off last season, and we've only gotten better.

3. Once you're there, anything can happen. No reason we can't go all the way, it'll just require us playing at our highest potential.

4. I'm pretty new to the league myself, but I will encourage them to trust coaches and management.

5. Just to help the team anyway I can.

6. Just to stay committed to the team!

7 hours ago, Peace said:

1.) I thought the draft went exactly as planned, adding Juice and Funk who can help make an immediate impact will be great! We have 5 young rookies coming in to shake up the league!

2.) I absolutely think we will make the play offs. Sure some of us are younger but man we want to win and I think we have a great chance of making it!

3.) I think we should be able to get passed the first round for sure but who knows what can happen! It's the playoffs baby! 

4.) As being one of the rookies joining the team, I just want to learn as much as I can from these older and more experienced guys. It's the only way to get better and build chemistry!

5.) I expect myself to be a role player for sure. I want to do everything and anything I can to help the team win! If my stats don't look so hot that's fine with me as long as we get W's.

6.) Honestly management is already passing my expectations. We have a whole plan and we're ready to use it. I can't wait to be on the Legion for a long time.

1. (For players:) What do you think of Toronto's draft? \ (For prospects:) How does it feel to be selected by the Toronto Legion? I feel great, one of my good friends got drafted here, so we are going to have som fun.

2. Toronto has some impressive depth this season. Nine forwards, five defenders and two quality goaltenders. Do you think we make the playoffs?  100%. I feel like if we don't make it, it will be a bust season.

To the finals, babyyy!
4. We've got five rookies joining us for the upcoming season. Do you have any tips for them? 
Just enjoy the ride and be active!
I feel like I can do better and with my teammates I want to win cup!
6. What do you expect from management this season? Only good things!

On 1/17/2021 at 2:37 PM, Peace said:

@ROOKIE745

@hedgehog337

1. I like what we've added! We have a group of folks that I'm familiar with a.d should be really good adds to Toronto!

2. I feel like we should!

3. I think game 7 of the 1st round!

4. Keep earning and don't freak out!

5. I hope my time spent earning in the VHLM was worth it and I can win RotY

6. Just focusing on us becoming closer and having fun!

We will see, They both look like they're joining the team right away so hopefully they can make us better. I don't know much about them but they seem to have fit in well so far. 

If we don't I'll be taking my talents else where. It's time to go, time to make are mark on the VHL. We have the skill and the depth. WE ARE LEGION!

We get our ticket to the dance we have a good a chance as anyone to make it to the finals. Don't care if there are better teams it about showing up when it matters and I think this group can do it!! 

Stay out of my way (I kid) but seriously just try and find a groove as fast a possible and continue to get better each and every day!

I was just under a point per game last season so I want to improve on that number but I just want to win more games than last season and get into the playoffs. 

To improve the team if they can. We have built up enough assets it's time to use them to make us a lot better. 

1. (For prospects:) How does it feel to be selected by the Toronto Legion?

Feels good. Toronto's management seems to have an idea of what they want to do to progress forward.

I like to think we will take a playoff spot, even if it's 4/5th

Let's call for conference finals

4. We've got five rookies joining us for the upcoming season. Do you have any tips for them? 
Defence, defence, defence. First job is to stop goals, second is to score them

I'd be happy with a point every other game and a +20 on the season

After two big trades early on I don't think much more. We will see what happens

1. (For players:) What do you think of Toronto's draft? 

Kristof Welch and Frank Funk Jr. were great additions to the roster right out of the gate. Both players have a bright future ahead.

Depth is going to play a key role down the stretch. The VHL season is long and even the best players will have down stretches, so we will need those players to move play key roles in the depth positions. 

I don't know how to really answer that. If we make the playoffs, you never know what's going to happen in the VHL playoffs. I hope we make the playoff this season!

Keep your head up. On and off the ice. With a rebuilding club our best years are ahead of us, might be a few bumps on the way. So lets look out for each other and keep our heads up. 

I want to be better each game. Less PIMs and more action on the ice is key for a contending team. 

6. What do you expect from management this season

Keep checking in with the players. Make sure they know they can speak up without repercussion. 

Well well well... another week of PCs up for you all! 

1. We recently made pair of trades that sent out John Merrick and Leo Strauss, what are your thoughts on those particular trades and do you think we got back fair value? 

2. Toronto released a podcast! Have you listened to it yet? Any suggestions on how to improve it? 

3. Since the trade Toronto is 2-2-2. Is that better than you expected, or do you believe we can get more out of this squad? 

4. Do you feel like you can be yourself within our locker room? Dangerous question, I know!

5. What are your favorite things about Toronto this season? 

6. Toronto management thrives on being transparent within the locker room. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve communication between myself and the LR? 

@NickSunderbruch @Callahan @Matmenzinger @Rayzor_7 @osens 

@ngine4 @DoktorFunk @fromtheinside @Juice @Smarch

@ROOKIE745

@hedgehog337

1. We recently made pair of trades that sent out John Merrick and Leo Strauss, what are your thoughts on those particular trades and do you think we got back fair value? 

We definitely got worse in the short-term, but I think people will be sleeping on these trades. We got some high end picks as well as Smarch in the trades which means our Defensive Core is honestly top-tier. We are hurting a lot on forwards but I believe Peace will resolve that eventually. I'd say we got fair-ish value, probably not as much as you'd hope for Merrick but you gotta get what you can. Overall I'd give it a B in Trade Evaluation.

2. Toronto released a podcast! Have you listened to it yet? Any suggestions on how to improve it? 

...I might not have listened to it because I've apart of it :kekw:

3. Since the trade Toronto is 2-2-2. Is that better than you expected, or do you believe we can get more out of this squad? 

I think we should be able to squeak out a bit more, but we are lacking a lot for offense so to get 4/6 games with points is really good to see!

4. Do you feel like you can be yourself within our locker room? Dangerous question, I know!

Definitely, I feel like we have a wonderful group of guys and I feel super comfortable in there. With Smarch newly added, he's brought a lot of life into the locker room as well which is amazing to see!

So far, getting to know everyone in the locker room has been really great! Feels like all our teammates are in the same sort of mindset of team first, and we are all really chill.

6. Toronto management thrives on being transparent within the locker room. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve communication between myself and the LR? 

Honestly, as is right now, I don't think you could be more transparent which is really appreciated as it feels like the team has a say in how we are going to be handled going forward. I can't think of any suggestions besides keep doing what you're doing 🙂

1 hour ago, Peace said:

I think the trades were great. The locker room never has been better! The guys are really coming together nicely and have the same interest and that is to win as a team. 

I have and I thought it was fantastic! I hope to be on it one day maybe as a special guest or even as a normal host! I love talking about the team and what is going on here in Toronto! The only suggestion I might have is maybe move it to Spotify or Apple Podcasts...Soundcloud is a fine platform but I think having a Spotify/Apple Podcast would really upgrade in terms of appeal!

I think we are on the right track for sure. We all have the same idea and that is to play as a team and bring a championship to Toronto in the future! If we keep working hard who knows what can happen!

Yes absolutely! Honestly, the locker room has never been better and I am so happy for that!

The locker room and team chemistry that we have been building up for sure. It has improved 10-fold and it has uplifted the team in the best possible way!

I wish I had suggestions but Peace is the most open GM I have ever had. We really do encompass the word "team" in every way. Peace has done a great job himself building that environment for his players and I know it will bring success to the franchise moving forward!

I think the trades were necessary and although they undeniably set us back a season or two competition wise, I think it is worth the trade off for having a healthier LR and overall experience in Toronto. In terms of value, I think we did great and Smarch has been an amazing addition to the LR also

Yes I have heard it lol. I think going forward it would help to have a little bit of a rundown of talking points. It felt like we kept circling back to the same thing over and over. Besides that though I had a blast be on. Going forward though I don't wish to be part of the recording or editing process lol it's very time consuming.

I think it is right around where I expected. There aren't a ton of "easy games" in the VHL. There will be highs and lows, ebbs and floes. We dealt our best two offensive forwards, so we should expect some recourse. But I think it's a great opportunity for guys like Funk and Callahan Jr to get some opportunities. 

I've always felt like I can be myself, I don't think that was ever an issue. It was just more of wading through the toxicity and passive aggressive BS at times. If I felt like I wanted to say something I would. 

Honestly when I thought of how my career would go, I thought it would be cool to join a team that wasn't super strong but I could join in at a time where I could be part of a young core of players that would eventually make an impact and see success. And I feel like that is happening. It isn't going to happen overnight, but with our D core, Funk, Callahan, Smarch and Hedge in net in future seasons, I think the future could look bright. 

Not really I enjoy the communication and transparency. Juice mentioned it in the podcast, but it feels like the whole team is collabing on ideas. Of course you have the final say but it's cool that everyone chimes in with ideas.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, Peace said:

@NickSunderbruch @Callahan @Matmenzinger @Rayzor_7 @osens 

@ngine4 @DoktorFunk @fromtheinside @Juice @Smarch

@ROOKIE745

@hedgehog337

1. Maybe not quite fair value, but I'd say it was needed, that one of them left, just a shame both ended up leaving. We got back a player though who has been very important to the locker room though ^^

2. I did!! and I really enjoyed it! I haven't done one before so not sure what could be done to improve it.

3. Possible we could do a little better, but we'll be hard press to do so.

4. Yes, I know I can be!

5. the very active locker room.

6. I..... can't think of any sadly.

Toronto had a fairly productive season last year but failed to carry that momentum into this season just to appease rookies. I see Toronto as a bottom dweller for some time. I think the trade was a push for both teams. 

I haven't listened to it.

You traded away the leading scorer in the league and his linemate, what do you expect? Learn to take constructive criticism. 

Locker room was fine until the players got their feelings hurt every time I said something. 

Not being on the team.

It is a social club with a GM trying to make it pleasant. 

@Peace