Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 6/11/2020 at 8:54 AM, Shaka said:

5b4e21f6db04422ba16bd2a88b17c1b1.jpg

Toronto Legion Press Conference

Another week is in the books and that means another press conference! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• As of Thursday, the Legion are sitting at 22-17-3. With 30 games remaining, how do you feel about where the team is looking at the backend of the schedule?

• You guys are in the thick of a playoff race with the New York Americans and Vancouver Wolves. What separates the Legion from those two teams?

• Is it possible to make a run on the top 2 teams in the North American Conference, Seattle or Calgary?

• Chad Magnum is tied for 6th in the VHL with 20 goals, tieing his career high with 30 games remaining. Last week we talked about his leadership, but this week I want to ask how his offensive improvement has helped this team take the next step?

• He also leads the country in hits with hits with 173, a surprising development over the course of the first half of the season. Would you say the Legion's increased aggression on both ends of the court aided to the team's improvement this year?

• Lastly, Jaxx Hextall has come down a bit from his outrageous start, settling into a .919 save percentage. How important is his play to this team's playoff contendership?

Thanks for taking the time today, everyone! 

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud 

@Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

1. well we're 26-19-3 now so I'm feeling hopeful, think we have a real shot at playoffs

2. Hard work and some good luck so far this season.

3. It's not out of the question imo, I think we'll stay right on their tail.

4. Well I said he leads by example and he's doing just that, playing harder to give the team the boost we need to stay in the race.

5. Oh for sure, begin more aggressive to get the puck is important and I think him throwing all those hits is helping a lot.

6. As the goalie I need to play at the top of my game, I don't want to let this team down and I'm in the position were I can steal games, so I will do everything possible.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:54 AM, Shaka said:

5b4e21f6db04422ba16bd2a88b17c1b1.jpg

Toronto Legion Press Conference

Another week is in the books and that means another press conference! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• As of Thursday, the Legion are sitting at 22-17-3. With 30 games remaining, how do you feel about where the team is looking at the backend of the schedule?

• You guys are in the thick of a playoff race with the New York Americans and Vancouver Wolves. What separates the Legion from those two teams?

• Is it possible to make a run on the top 2 teams in the North American Conference, Seattle or Calgary?

• Chad Magnum is tied for 6th in the VHL with 20 goals, tieing his career high with 30 games remaining. Last week we talked about his leadership, but this week I want to ask how his offensive improvement has helped this team take the next step?

• He also leads the country in hits with hits with 173, a surprising development over the course of the first half of the season. Would you say the Legion's increased aggression on both ends of the court aided to the team's improvement this year?

• Lastly, Jaxx Hextall has come down a bit from his outrageous start, settling into a .919 save percentage. How important is his play to this team's playoff contendership?

Thanks for taking the time today, everyone! 

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud 

@Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

1. Very good, I think the team can hit 40 wins.

2. Better hockey players, like Jaxx Hextall

3. Anything is possible with the players we have, like Jaxx Hextall

4. The team desperately needed someone to step up, and he has done an admirable job in the bigger role.

5. Of course, other teams don't want to come to Toronto because they know it's going to hurt.

6. He's super important. He's the guy everyone looks up to in the locker room.

Shaka makes fancier press conferences. 

I'm lazy, but here they are! 

1. Toronto is currently sitting in the final playoff spot. Vancouver trails behind the Legion -- and even after selling most of their core -- they still have a decent lineup. Do you think Toronto will remain in a playoff position, or do you think there is a slight chance of Vancouver catching them with twenty games left? 

2. TOR G still needs to start four more games for the Legion -- how do you think that'll impact the position we're in? 

3. Toronto sits seven out of twelve in offense, and despite a negative goal differential, we still have more wins than losses. What do you think has contributed in this somewhat intriguing stat?

4. In a similar light, Toronto's forward-to-defense core sits sixth best in the league in goals against. What are your thoughts on that? 

5. Jaxx Hextall is keeping up with his competition despite facing nearly two hundred more shots than some of the leading goalies. He's been a key piece in Toronto's current successes, so do you think he has a shot at winning an individual award? 

6. GM Rylan Peace didn't make any moves at the trade deadline, and it was actually extremely quiet. Did you expect that, or did you expect more splashes? 

Edited by Peace

1. I think we'll beat them out for the final playoff spot, but it'll be close. We've come too far this season to simply squander this opportunity.

2. It certainly won't help, that's for sure. Hextall is our guy; we aren't nearly the same team without him between the pipes for us.

3. I think we're just a high-stakes team really; we play much better in close games than we do in blowouts.

4. We're proud of how far we've come as a team, in every facet of our game, and this is just one of the many. We still have aways to go if we want to make a deep playoff run though.

5. Like I said earlier, Hextall is our guy. He's bailed us out time and time again so far this season; I definitely think he has a shot at the Shaw or the Funk trophy.

6. I think I expected that; we aren't far enough along to have been buyers at the deadline, and we certainly weren't bad enough to be sellers.

45 minutes ago, Peace said:

1. Toronto is currently sitting in the final playoff spot. Vancouver trails behind the Legion -- and even after selling most of their core -- they still have a decent lineup. Do you think Toronto will remain in a playoff position, or do you think there is a slight chance of Vancouver catching them with twenty games left? 

2. TOR G still needs to start four more games for the Legion -- how do you think that'll impact the position we're in? 

3. Toronto sits seven out of twelve in offense, and despite a negative goal differential, we still have more wins than losses. What do you think has contributed in this somewhat intriguing stat?

4. In a similar light, Toronto's forward-to-defense core sits sixth best in the league in goals against. What are your thoughts on that? 

5. Jaxx Hextall is keeping up with his competition despite facing nearly two hundred more shots than some of the leading goalies. He's been a key piece in Toronto's current successes, so do you think he has a shot at winning an individual award? 

6. GM Rylan Peace didn't make any moves at the trade deadline, and it was actually extremely quiet. Did you expect that, or did you expect more splashes? 

1. I think they could catch up but I don't think they'll pass us.

2. I think the bot could win at least one of those games but it will hurt a little bit.

3. I think it's because when we loose, we tend to loose big DX

4. It's interesting, glad to know that's working out well.

5. I hope so is all I can say ^^''

6. Considering the expansion I think it was good move to not add anyone.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, Peace said:

1.) WE ARE LEGION we got this baby,. its gravy

2.) 3-1 we will be good. we have a good team in front helping him

3.) its not about how many you let in, its about how many you stop. so we just score more then the team we are playing,.

4.) we are decent?

5.) Goalie of the year  100% lock

6.) I expected it. not much to do when you have a decent core and have a shot at competing. not rebuild time yet 

Vancouver doesn't stand a chance.  They moved an important piece of any playoff run at the draft this past off-season.

He'll need to stand on his head.  We are used to playing with Stud in net for us.  Those are some big skates to fill.  We have to buckle down on defense and light the arena up to make sure we can allow TOR G (Stud wannabe) a chance to win something.

It means we don't believe in blowing out the opposition.  We care about their feelings, not like some teams.  So we make sure we keep the games close.  When we lose, the opposition isn't as kind.  The players are just out for themselves, trying to score as many points as they can.  It's not about scoring points, it's about winning.  And last time i checked a 2-1 win worth as many points as a 10-2 win.

It just means we know what we need to do to get the job done.  We don't run a flashy system here, we are in it for the team, not independent glory *cough HHH cough*

5. Jaxx Hextall Stud is keeping up with his competition despite facing nearly two hundred more shots than some of the leading goalies. He's been a key piece in Toronto's current successes, so do you think he has a shot at winning an individual award? 

You bet your arse he does.  The general public are all about fancy numbers (goals, assists, shutouts) and not the grinding numbers (shots blocked, shots saved, hits, FO percentage).  We need to change that mindset to show that we can have a good player who focuses on something other than scoring goals.

You can't stray from your plan.  Going in he didn't believe in us.  We showed him we could compete.  He furthered his belief by thinking we weren't 'there' yet by not going out and getting that piece or two that could push us over the top.

sylvester stallone baseball cap GIF by Warner Archivesylvester stallone winner GIF by Warner Archive

On 6/15/2020 at 3:48 PM, Peace said:

1. Yes, I think Toronto's got this. Vancouver is solid, but they're not as good at doing hockey in my opinion.

2. I am not confident what that all means but I don't think the impact will be huge.

3. Must be our clutch factor. Also, our defense, and that guy Jaxx Hextall

4. Love it, shows our defense is quite solid.

5. Jaxx Hextall is the best hockey player I have ever known or seen play. There's no question to me about this.

6. I expected it for the most part. Never know, but I think this team looks good as is.

Alright time for some new PCs. 

1. So those last eleven games before the victory... what do you think went wrong? 

2. Would you say it was poetic we won against the team chasing us to end the free fall? 

3. Do you think we remain in a playoff position with our lead over Vancouver just a single point now? 

4. How disappointed are you in TOR G? 2-8-0 in his ten games he gets credit for... 

5. Do you think we go on a winning streak now after gaining some confidence against Vancouver? 

6. If we make the playoffs (we will!) how do you think Toronto fares against Calgary? 

8 hours ago, Peace said:

Alright time for some new PCs. 

1. So those last eleven games before the victory... what do you think went wrong? 

2. Would you say it was poetic we won against the team chasing us to end the free fall? 

3. Do you think we remain in a playoff position with our lead over Vancouver just a single point now? 

4. How disappointed are you in TOR G? 2-8-0 in his ten games he gets credit for... 

5. Do you think we go on a winning streak now after gaining some confidence against Vancouver? 

6. If we make the playoffs (we will!) how do you think Toronto fares against Calgary? 

1. I really couldn't tell ya, I just don't know.

2. Yes, and we did it twice.

3. I..... that's a tough call and I don't wanna jinx it DX

4. I mean what else do you expect from a bot goalie?

5. I hope so, we really need it.

6. It will be pretty rough I imagine, but we'll give them a fight I know that at least.

1. So those last eleven games before the victory... what do you think went wrong? I honestly couldn't tell you, we were on a roll and it's like the wheels just fell right off.

2. Would you say it was poetic we won against the team chasing us to end the free fall? I think so; we're still in the hunt and beating them was the first step to righting the ship.

3. Do you think we remain in a playoff position with our lead over Vancouver just a single point now? It's gunna be tough, but I think we hang in there.

4. How disappointed are you in TOR G? 2-8-0 in his ten games he gets credit for... I don't even wanna talk about it. He failed us when we needed him the most.

5. Do you think we go on a winning streak now after gaining some confidence against Vancouver? Beating the Wolves certainly doesn't hurt, so hopefully this is the end of our crappy play.

6. If we make the playoffs (we will!) how do you think Toronto fares against Calgary? Without a doubt, it'll be an uphill battle, but anything can happen in a seven-game series.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Peace said:

1. Nothing, just all part of our plan. 

2. Of course, that's exactly how we drew it up and for good reason. We didn't want to win any of those other games, just hat last one.

3. Yes, I think the playoff spot will be ours. 

4. Wow. We need him to do better. We haven't been able to rely on him at all this season.

5. Yes, this is where everything turns around.

6. We can compete with anyone, and Calgary is no exception to that.

Backup games.  Plain and simple.

It just goes to show who the better team is when it's crunch time.

Yes we will.  HHH loves to disappear when his team needs him.  Playoffs, hunt for a playoff spot...it's his MO

Very.  You are a professional goalie.  You get paid to stop more pucks than the other team's goalie does.  It very nearly cost us a playoff spot.  It's not that we are a bad team, he's just very bad at stopping the puck.

Yes.  but not because we are gaining confidence, because we are doing what needs to be done.

It'll be a back and forth series...they will win two, we will win two, then we'll finish them off in games 5 and 6.

nervous toronto maple leafs GIF by NHL

A Toronto Legion fan visibly disappointed by the Legions elimination during the post-game handshakes.

It's all over now, Toronto. 

But by my deity did we put up one hell of a fight. 

1. How do you personally feel about Toronto being eliminated by a score of 4-3 in a game seven where the Legion lead 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 after two periods of play?

2. Who do you think was our best playoff performer? 

3. Do you think the time is right to start selling assets for talented and established VHL players, or do you think management should stay on course for their game plan? [Competitive by S74]? 

4. Toronto was down in this series 2-0 before winning two in Toronto to tie it up. What was your reaction at the buzzer in game four, when this best of seven series became a best of three? 

5. Similarly to the above... what was your reaction when Toronto won game six to force a seventh game? 

6. What were some of your superstitions or pregame rituals during the series? 

Edited by Peace

16 hours ago, Peace said:

1. How do you personally feel about Toronto being eliminated by a score of 4-3 in a game seven where the Legion lead 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 after two periods of play?

It definitely hurts. We really had it and blew it; playing defense in the playoffs is harder than offense imo, and holding leads in the postseason just comes with experience.

Is there any question? Elmebeck led us on and off the rink.

3. Do you think the time is right to start selling assets for talented and established VHL players, or do you think management should stay on course for their game plan? [Competitive by S74? 

I'm not part of management, so I'm not too sure if what I think means much on this topic; I'm not sure of the contending status of other teams in the conference so I really have no idea.

4. Toronto was down in this series 2-0 before winning two in Toronto to tie it up. What was your reaction at the buzzer in game four, when this best of seven series became a best of three? 

It was a sense of relief almost, like a breather. We realized that we could hang with just about any team in the league if we could hang with the Wranglers.

5. Similarly to the above... what was your reaction when Toronto won game six to force a seventh game? 

Elation. We knew we had a good chance to win if we could go the distance.

I'm not a very superstitious player, but I definitely wasn't walking under any ladders or spilling any salt after a win.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:25 PM, Peace said:

3. Do you think the time is right to start selling assets for talented and established VHL players, or do you think management should stay on course for their game plan? [Competitive by S74]? 

1. It was obviously very sad. We earned those leads, but at the same time we gave them up with poor play. I think we were a better team, but we did not maintain that the whole game.

2. Definitely Jaxx Hextall

3. I think management is doing a good job and should just keep doing it, anything I'd think of is probably bad advice

4. I think that's the moment where we really started to believe

5. Just showing we weren't going down easily

6. I didn't have any, I just do that hockey

Right to the point! ... Right? 

1. The draft lottery results were just released and Toronto drafts fifth. It's a pretty high native pick, are you excited that your team gets a good pick and made the playoffs? 

2. How are you enjoying the off season so far? 

3. What are you doing to prepare for next season? 

4. Expansion draft could hurt the Toronto Legion -- among other teams -- so which team do you think expansion will hurt the most? 

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

6. Burrito or Taco? 

1. The draft lottery results were just released and Toronto drafts fifth. It's a pretty high native pick, are you excited that your team gets a good pick and made the playoffs? 

It's a happy coincidence, but I didn't get into hockey to be happy to have a high draft pick and make the playoffs...I came to win.

You mean retirement?  I'm just sitting back and looking at what my next steps will be (not in character - I haven't really been online much in the last week or so, so I haven't looked into recreating or whatnot)

Nothing.

4. Expansion draft could hurt the Toronto Legion -- among other teams -- so which team do you think expansion will hurt the most? 

Don't know, don't care.  All I know is that I don't have to worry about playing on a team that shouldn't be competing for the cup.

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

Pepsi

6. Burrito or Taco?

Neither.  Not a huge fan of either one, nor do I eat them enough to have a preference.

12 minutes ago, Peace said:

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

6. Burrito or Taco? 

1. Definitely exciting; we went into the season thinking we were going to be a lottery pick anyway, so coming out of the season with the next best pick ain't too shabby.

2. I'm enjoying it a lot; I typically disassociate completely from all VHL goings-on in the offseason and I think that really helps better me for the upcoming season.

3. Like I said, I usually take time in the offseason to decompress from the season, and that's what I\m up to right now.

4. I honestly couldn't tell you, because I have no idea who is available; I do like that we are expanding though, as hopefully this  will allow the league to return to a typical 6F-4D format.

5. Neither, I don't drink soda.

6. Burrito, easy. Next question.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, Peace said:

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

6. Burrito or Taco? 

Alright first Toronto presser, I hate the media already, let's get cracking

1. Always happy to be able to add more talent. And the playoff experience will be invaluable experience.

2. It's aight. I'm just ready to get cracking again.

3. Earning that sweet, sweet, TPE. And since it's all banked right now, I can't wait to be able to go on a spending spree.

4. Calgary

5. Regular pepsi but diet/zero coke.

6. Burrito. You can pack more in it.

Edited by joeg

On 7/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, Peace said:

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

6. Burrito or Taco? 

1. Hell yes!!

2. It's alright, just gotta keep getting that sweet sweet TPE!!

3. Training/gaining TPE.

4. Maybe the Menace? or Calgary? honestly I think the expansion may help us more than hurt us.

5. Coke.

6. Taco.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, Peace said:

5. Coke or Pepsi? 

6. Burrito or Taco? 

1. Yep. Shows that as good as the team was, we are still going to take a step forward. 

2. It's been nice. Spending some time relaxing after the long season.

3. Just training everyday, making sure I'm ready. Getting my body into better shape than ever and refining my skills.

4. I'm going to say us, only because after observing them so closely this past season I think our guys are as good as anyones. Losing some hurts.

5. Don't drink soda, but if I had to choose I'd take a pepsi.

6. Taco.

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT DAY! 

1. The Toronto Legion only picked one player -- center John Merrick -- in the S73 VHL Entry Draft. What are your thoughts about the most recent addition to the Legion? 

2. Despite GM Peace trying to move into additional rounds of the draft, he was unable to do so -- how do you think this will impact Toronto in the future? 

3. How 'hyped' were you about the S73 VHL Entry Draft? 

4. John Merrick will be joining the Legion in S74 with a projected rating of over 400. How will this impact the S74 Toronto Legion? 

5. Who was the most surprising player drafted in the first round? 

6. Were you surprised at any of the prospects that were ranked fairly high but continued to slide through the draft, if you paid attention at all? 

@Corco @NyQuil @joeg @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @Peace @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745 @ngine4

9 hours ago, Peace said:

1. The Toronto Legion only picked one player -- center John Merrick -- in the S73 VHL Entry Draft. What are your thoughts about the most recent addition to the Legion? 

2. Despite GM Peace trying to move into additional rounds of the draft, he was unable to do so -- how do you think this will impact Toronto in the future? 

4. John Merrick will be joining the Legion in S74 with a projected rating of over 400. How will this impact the S74 Toronto Legion? 

6. Were you surprised at any of the prospects that were ranked fairly high but continued to slide through the draft, if you paid attention at all? 

1. I think it's a good pick, I know there were rumors that we were going to trade the pick, but I'm happy that we kept it and drafted a quality young player instead.

2. I don't think it will hurt us too badly in the short run since most of our core is in their prime right now. When guys like Merrick eventually join the team it will be a free addition to an already talented squad.

3. 0% hyped. I barely pay any attention to the VHL in the offseason.

4. Like I said, he'll be a welcome addition to an already talented core, I expect him to become a stud for us in a few seasons.

5. I honestly have no idea, I can't even name more than two players who were taken in the first round off of memory.

6. Same answer that I just gave to question number 5 haha, I paid no attention to anything draft, or offseason, related. I just focus on the needed break from the VHL.

11 hours ago, Peace said:

@Corco @NyQuil @joeg @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @Peace @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745 @ngine4

1. I'm happy about it, always felt like we needed that one more top draft pick and I'm happy we got it, and him!

2. might make the future a little more difficult with less prospects, makes us depend more on the active players.

3. Pretty hyped, sadly I missed the stream, I was just to caught up with other stuff going on.

4. That should give us quite the boost!

5. I don't know tbh, didn't pay close enough attention.

6. A little bit but again didn't really watch that.