Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

:tor:Toronto Legion Weekly Presser :tor:

This week the Toronto Legion made some splashes in the water with trades, and the VHL as a whole experienced an update scale change. With all of these changes, I bring to you the first team-wide press conference of the Toronto Legion.

**All Legion members, if you need questions for Press Conferences for more TPE, then you can answer the ones I post in here.**

• 1. With all of the scale changes going into next season, and re-rolls, how do you think the scoring numbers of the VHL will change in S59 and in the future? Will there be as many 100 point players? Less? Other thoughts?
  • 2. Fook Yu is now a member of the Legion. What are your thoughts on the team bringing him in?
  • 3. Fabio Jokinen is also a new member of Toronto and in the final season of his contract. As one of the top defensemen in the VHL, what kind of impact do you expect him to have on the Legion next season?
  • 4. What are your expectations of the standings in S59? Cup favourites?
  • 5. Who is your predicted breakout player of S59? Who will 'wow' the rest of the league?
  • 6. Regarding the VHL's World Cup, who is your favourite to win that and why?
  • 7. With the teams who are in the basement of the VHL, which of them do you expect to reach the top first and come out of their rebuild?
  • 8. Unrelated to the VHL, but still hockey, what hockey team do you expect to win at the Olympics now that there aren't any NHL players going? Will you be watching?
  • 9. If you could bring one player from the NHL into the VHL on the Legion, who would it be and why?
  • 10. How many more seasons of being competitive do you expect out of Toronto? Do you think they could gun for a title in S60 as well, or is S59 it?

@Beketov@Pandar@Eggy216@Kesler@jRuutu@tfong

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, HellBillyXIII said:

What do you look for when considering drafting or signing a new player?

This isn’t for @DollarAndADream. This is so that all legion players have questions to answer.

This week the Toronto Legion made some splashes in the water with trades, and the VHL as a whole experienced an update scale change. With all of these changes, I bring to you the first team-wide press conference of the Toronto Legion.

**All Legion members, if you need questions for Press Conferences for more TPE, then you can answer the ones I post in here.**

• Roman Sokolov has switched to the forward position. What are your expectations for him next season, and where would you ballpark him point-wise?
  • With Riga and Toronto being the expected 1st/2nd of S59, who do you think has the best chance to keep up? Who will be #3, and will it be close?
  • Rookie of the Year candidates for next season?
  • VHL World Cup Finals are set. Who do you think will win?
  • What team in the VHL has the brightest future right now?

1 minute ago, DollarAndADream said:

With Riga and Toronto being the expected 1st/2nd of S59, who do you think has the best chance to keep up? Who will be #3, and will it be close?

Toronto will be #3, it won't be close :P

1 minute ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, I should have probably phrased that question better. Riga/Toronto definitely aren't a given to be 1 and 2. I want to do well, but assuming to be a top team is never a good idea.

lol I'm just busting your balls. I mean, it's definitely a 3-team race (I think NY is more of a dark horse given their S58 regression), but this is your PC, you can ask whichever questions you like

2 minutes ago, Quik said:

lol I'm just busting your balls. I mean, it's definitely a 3-team race (I think NY is more of a dark horse given their S58 regression), but this is your PC, you can ask whichever questions you like

Yeah, I know. I didn't realize I wrote it out as if it was a for sure thing, because nothing is. :P

Roman Sokolov has switched to the forward position. What are your expectations for him next season, and where would you ballpark him point-wise?

I think Roman will have a great year on the individual level, Toronto has a team that is not afraid to shoot the puck, Sokolov is no different -  I´m expecting at the very least a point per game pace, would not surprise me if Sokolov scores over 50 goals. A lot of changes in the team with new faces joining etc, so takes bit more time before everything rolls smoothly, but when everything starts to click, Toronto and Sokolov will be unstoppable!

Rookie of the Year candidates for next season

David Kiaskov is one, he plays in a big role over in Quebec and has managed to score six points in seven games! McKnight and Mueller over in New York are among the other solid candidates for Rookie of the year award,  McKnight has 7 points and Mueller at 6, so all three have managed to start the season well and are at least when looking at it now the top candidates!

What team in the VHL has the brightest future right now?

New York is looking pretty solid, got a lot of young and active players who are about to enter their primes! They have actually started the ongoing season really well, so perhaps the future is now already! ;) Davos is looking nice as well, if they manage to keep the current roster together and steadily improving, could be the team that goes after New York in few seasons from now.

The VHL season started this week, and the Legion have experienced some up and downs. Let's ask some of the roster some questions about their thoughts.

• The Legion have seemed to have somewhat of a rough start. Although, over the past couple of sims, they have climbed into 3rd in the VHL. What are your thoughts on what has happened so far for our team? What has been the issue?
  • The New York Americans hold down the top spot in the VHL, and have only lost once in regulation at the time I ask this question. Do you expect them to hold down #1, or do you see Toronto/Seattle/Riga climbing over them?
  • Sokolov is currently the team's leading point producer with 18 points. Are you surprised?
  • Daring Do @Eggy216 has 9 goals to start the season and is tied with Sokolov right now for the team lead. Do you expect him to continue this performance?
  • Schmeckeldorf and Cornerstone have started off hot. Do you think they'll be the Krigars/Locke of this season?

• 2 weeks later...

With the season having been underway for awhile, there have been more than a few good stories to follow.

• Your very own Toronto Legion are currently holding down the top spot in the VHL. What has surprised you so far in the VHL race?
  • With Cornerstone, Schmeckeldorf, Boeser, and Leblanc performing at elite levels, has this surprised you so far? Usually the story has been all Locke/Krigars the past few seasons, but now these other two duos have stormed to the top of the charts.
  • Who do you expect to be the leading goal scorer and the leading point producer by season's end?
  • Has any single player surprised you so far this season? There have been a lot of great producers flourishing, with some big improvements so far.
  • Rhett DeGrath and Franchise Cornerstone seem to be somewhat running away with the MVP trophy. If it came down to it, which of these names would you expect to win MVP?

Sorry, posted these late, guys.

Your very own Toronto Legion are currently holding down the top spot in the VHL. What has surprised you so far in the VHL race?

Seeing Riga currently sitting 5th in the league is a surprise, to be fair I have not followed too closely what is going or has been going on in Riga lately, but with a quick look their roster looks fairly same as what my memory tells me from previous years, at least some of the top guys are still there, but for some reason things have not been working out as well as in previous seasons.

With Cornerstone, Schmeckeldorf, Boeser, and Leblanc performing at elite levels, has this surprised you so far? Usually the story has been all Locke/Krigars the past few seasons, but now these other two duos have stormed to the top of the charts.

League has so many talented players like those four players mentioned first, so in that sense it was not a surprise to see them play well, but seeing Locke and Krigars not being among the top scorers is bit of a surprise. Perhaps the Cornerstone and Schemckeldorf duo is our new Krigars - Locke duo? Boeser and Leblanc are not far away, but they have bit more competition for points and ice time in Toronto, so at least if we look at it now - Corner and Schem are ahead.

Who do you expect to be the leading goal scorer and the leading point producer by season's end?

That is a interesting one, Cornerstone has pretty healthy lead with 72 points and when 2nd best is Schmeckeldorf  - a player he shares the team with - going to be hard to see Schmeckeldorf scoring over the top amount of points without Cornerstone playing any part in those, but Cornerstone has the bad habit of taking penalty minutes, so if he for example manages to get kicked out of the game - Schmeckeldorf could have opportunity to rack up points.

Boeser and Leblanc are 3rd and 4th in scoring race at the moment, both are around 14 - 19 points behind of Cornerstone, but Toronto as a team has scored the most goals this year with 122 and in general with the depth the team has,  could see Boeser and Leblanc being part of quite few goals when going forward, but Cornerstone is looking really good at the moment at least for the most points award, who scores the most goals is a tighter race - Cornerstone or Boeser are my picks.

Toronto up in 1st, and the standings are still pretty close. Things are definitely interesting in the VHL right now.

• Toronto is the only team left without 10 regulation losses. With a current win streak of 1....take a guess of how many games until they lose another in regulation! :P
  • If the season ended right now, who do you think takes home the Offensive Defenseman award?
  • What about Defensive Defenseman?
  • Roman Sokolov. Now that we've seen him at both defense and forward, what is your preferred position for him to play? This question can be asked to any Legion member.
  • Which team poses the biggest threat to the Legion this season in a 7 game playoff series?

This time I posted these questions when I should have....and not late in the week. :P

If the season ended right now, who do you think takes home the Offensive Defenseman award?

I´d say it´s Ay Ay Ron from Helsinki, he has been playing on high level pretty much all season long and is perhaps the key reason behind Cornerstone and Schmeckeldorf having awesome seasons as well - that trio got some supernatural connection. If we look stats of Ron, he is the only defender with over 60 points at the moment - he has 67 and is also leading goal scorer among defenders with 15, so he is looking really good for the award - especially if those two forwards in front of him stay hot.

What about Defensive Defenseman?

This is a tough one, Boner from Calgary has the most hits among defenders with 194, he also has 101 blocked shots and +/- rating of +4 on a struggling team.

August Gloop from Helsinki has blocked the most shots in the whole league with 148, has 160 hits and +/- raiting of -16 on a team that has scored 2nd most goals in the whole league.

Bogdanovic in Riga for example has a lot more points than those two, but also got the defensive statistics with 176 hits and 73 blocked shots.

I guess a lot depends on how much value you are going to put for points, if there will be ´a lot´ on points- then player like Bogdanovic is looking really strong - got the offensive side and effective in the own end as well, but if the biggest difference maker will be hits, shots blocked etc - I´d pick Boner from Calgary as the award winner right now!

Roman Sokolov. Now that we've seen him at both defense and forward, what is your preferred position for him to play? This question can be asked to any Legion member.

Last year Sokolov had 81 points as a defender, 63 of those were assists, so its quite clear he has elite level hockey eye and is able to see the open passing lanes really well. If we jump to this season and Sokolov playing as forward, he has 54 points so far - 26 of them goals. I´d say he is one of those rare players that has the ability to play on high level on both D and forward!

Did not see his shot too much last year, but now that he is usually playing closer to the net and has started firing more - you can see his shot is really underrated, 26 goals in 49 games while playing on high scoring team = solid season so far and no reason why the same pace cant keep on going for final part of the season.

Toronto Legion, still in 1st. Playoffs clinched!

• The playoffs have been clinched! Which VHL team do you not want to play against in the post-season?
  • Are you surprised at Rhett DeGrath's phenomenal play in net this season? Do think it is sustainable into the post-season?
  • Take a guess. Who do you think ends the season with more points.....Pablo or Jokinen?
  • Best overall defenseman? Not just offensive or defensive, but in terms of how much you value them. Which defenseman do you think has been the 'best'?
  • Cornerstone has 55 goals and 55 assists for 110 points in 57 games. Do you think it's possible he gets 144+? He's only 4 points off of 2.0PPG.

The playoffs have been clinched! Which VHL team do you not want to play against in the post-season?

Seattle Bears! Played with them last year, so quite few familiar names in that team and of course they are a solid team overall - would be a interesting matchup for neutral fans as well when both teams have star level players in their roster. Can McAllister beat Ironside? Can Pablo keep dishing the puck to Torontos high scoring forwards? Is Federov able to keep his cool when Yu starts talking right in his face? A lot of interesting matchups on top of those mentioned one in that series.

Take a guess. Who do you think ends the season with more points.....Pablo or Jokinen?

Pablo is my pick, his shooting percentage is almost 2% higher than Jokinens and when you then compare the penalty minute difference between the two, Jokinen has 88 and Pablo only 26 - if Pablo manages to keep firing the puck towards the net with similar record and Jokinen spends more time in the penatly box, I think Pablo will come from behind and end the year with more points.

Cornerstone has 55 goals and 55 assists for 110 points in 57 games. Do you think it's possible he gets 144+? He's only 4 points off of 2.0PPG.

I think it´s possible, Cornerstone has been on fire all season long and there seems to be no end in sight for that run, we have played 57 games after all and he is still firing away. Helps that he has talented players around him who can also make things happen, so it´s not like Cornerstone needs to do everything by himself, that is going to be the key in Cornerstone hitting 144 - how well players on the ice with him can keep up with him and also score from the plays Cornerstone makes happen, if they can - I can see Cornerstone even hitting 150!

1. What's the biggest single reason the Legion have been so dominant this season?

2. Why will your regular season success translate to playoff success?

3. If there's one player out there that could derail your run, it's Rhett DeGrath. Do you think you can break him down in a Cup Final?

4. Is this just the beginning? Or are you all-in on this season?

5. Lastly, for management: What are the most important things you look for in talent acquisition?

1st Place! Victory Cup!

• The Legion have won the Victory Cup! What do you think gave Toronto that push over the rest of the VHL to achieve 1st?
  • Did you ever think Bo Boeser would have a season like this? Right behind Franchise Cornerstone for the 2nd best.
  • Who is the unsung hero on the Toronto Legion?
  • Who do you think wins that wild card first round of the playoffs?
  • Any playoff performers you are scared to play against?

Also, MWHazard posted some questions for us, so feel free to answer those as well of course! :)

On 3/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, MWHazard said:

1. What's the biggest single reason the Legion have been so dominant this season?

2. Why will your regular season success translate to playoff success?

3. If there's one player out there that could derail your run, it's Rhett DeGrath. Do you think you can break him down in a Cup Final?

4. Is this just the beginning? Or are you all-in on this season?

5. Lastly, for management: What are the most important things you look for in talent acquisition?

1. I think it has definitely been our offense. Jokinen has been amazing as usual, and Ironside has been super consistent. Aside from that though, Boeser and Leblanc have just been on another level this season, and Boeser has been almost as good as Cornerstone, which is obviously something anybody hopes for when they build their players.

2. We have staples at each position. Center, Defense, and Goaltending. As long as our #1 guys in those positions continue to play like they have, we should be golden.

3. I think we can take him out. My team has shown to be able to beat NY on multiple occasions, so I have belief in this group more than any other.

4. This is the all-in season! Jokinen and Sokolov are retired after this season, and I'd have to shake things up quite a bit, like switching BOeser to defense and trying to re-sign some guys on board for another push in order to go at it again next season. After talking it over quite a bit in the LR, I just didn't feel like pushing everyone for another run, and I don't want to force anything. It just feels best to go into rebuild after this one. :)

5. The biggest thing is activity. As long as the guys I draft are regularly earning TPE, and in the LR, then I will be super pleased. Members of my team, I give them the freedom to build their players however they want, so as long as they are active then I am happy.

Eliminated. Heart-broken.

• The Toronto Legion were eliminated by the Bears in the 2nd round....what would you say was the main reason for that?
  • What surprised you from the Seattle Bears in our playoff match-up?
  • Who would you rather win the finals? Seattle or Helsinki?
  • What is your opinion on the fact that it's an underdog finals for the cup?
  • Explain your thoughts on getting eliminated, because I don't know what to think.

questions to @DollarAndADream

1. Shortly after a loss in Game 5 vs the Bears you mentioned about your potential step down. Then you lost series in Game 6. So are you still planning to step down or that's just emotions? 

2. Why STHS is so random?

3. Do you regret about moves (FA, trades e.t.c.) you made so far? 

4. I assume both Ironside and Boeser will play one final season? 

5. Do you feel like your decision about kick off a rebuild came too soon? Do you think you had any chances if you continued to compete in S60? 

1 hour ago, hedgehog337 said:

questions to @DollarAndADream

1. Shortly after a loss in Game 5 vs the Bears you mentioned about your potential step down. Then you lost series in Game 6. So are you still planning to step down or that's just emotions? 

2. Why STHS is so random?

3. Do you regret about moves (FA, trades e.t.c.) you made so far? 

4. I assume both Ironside and Boeser will play one final season? 

5. Do you feel like your decision about kick off a rebuild came too soon? Do you think you had any chances if you continued to compete in S60? 

1. For the past 2-3 seasons, I have had the thoughts of stepping down. Sure, the past 2 seasons of playoff eliminations probably have had a bit of an impact on that, but even 3 seasons ago I just began to not feel it. I just have more fun as a player. I don't have as much time as I used to, either. I've reached out to my team to see if anyone has intentions of being a GM, and if not then it will probably get posted soon as a job. I'm not going to leave Toronto empty handed though. If there's nobody good out there, then I'll stay on....plus there's some things to be done regarding TOronto's future because I made moves to ensure this season was a good run.

2. I have no idea. Reminds me of when Seattle won the Cup seasons ago with Niklaus Mikaelson, who went on a tear and were the underdogs the whole way through the playoffs. I don't know what's wrong with Ironside either. He has had great seasons, then all of a sudden in the playoffs he just shits the bed. I can't explain it.

3. I don't regret anything. Some of them probably didn't pan out how I wanted, but I wanted to make sure these last couple of seasons gave Toronto our best shot at winning, and I think I did that. The team was getting older and I didn't want to force anyone into my own "all-in" mentality.

4. Ironside and Boeser will do that. Ironside is FA, so he will sign wherever somebody needs him. Boeser I'll retire at the beginning of the season, so if any GM wants a #1 C you can trade for him.

5. I think the majority of my team was getting older. Obviously, Boeser seems to just be entering his prime but a lot of moves would need to be made to build another team around him, and I don't think it would be worth giving as much up as I would have to. Sokolov was more or less the countdown for my team. Once his career was ending, it basically ended the run. Ironside is regressing too, along with Fook Yu, Pablo, Jokinen, etc etc. It's better for Toronto to start rebuilding in S60.

• 2 weeks later...

REBUILD, NATION.

**All Legion members and others if you choose, if you need questions for Press Conferences for more TPE, then you can answer the ones I post in here.**

• What do you think is the key to building a team from the ground up?
  • Who do you think has the best chance to win the cup in S60?
  • Which player would you predict to win the scoring trophy in S60?
  • Which VHLM team do you think will win it all?
  • Were you surprised to see Boeser head to New York?

@bukss_a@Shaka@Jepox@Molholt