Colton Rayne/Spade Press Conference

Spade18

:veg: Colton Rayne/Spade Press Conference :nya:

Related images

Colton strides up to the table, full of confidence, but misses the last step right before he gets there and has to grab on to the table to avoid falling.

He sheepishly laughs and opens the floor to answer questions on him and the New York Americans.  The General Manager of The Las Vegas Aces, Spade, Is also at the table beside him to answer questions pertaining to the Aces.

Edited by Spade18

If there was one player you would want to play on a D-pairing with in the VHL, who would it be?

What former VHL Player would you say you model your game after?

Which New York American do you spend the most time with off the ice?

Which New York American Goalie has the weirdest pre-game ritual?

How have you found being a VHLM GM? Would you be interested in a VHL GM job?

On 2/12/2018 at 8:11 PM, Banackock said:

Thoughts on last season? Expectations for yourself and NYA this season? 

Last season I felt the team had a few growing pains.  We had a lot of young talent and we said "me" rather than "we" a little too much. We had a playoff appearance but got trounced by the eventual cup winners.  It was tough during the off season, but looking back, I think it was a positive experience for a young club like us. McKnight and I splitting the rookie of the year award was a very nice surprise I was totally flattered by.  I see us only getting bigger and better next year.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:22 AM, HellBillyXIII said:

How do you feel about where you are as a player, skill wise?

I feel like I'm about to hit my stride.

I spent most of this off season focusing on my defensive positioning, and working on my angles and stick work.  I know I've spent a few minutes in the box that cost our team last year, so I've worked on keeping my elbows down as well.  I've always prided myself on being a shut down defender, so I focused on that a little more than putting up points.  If I'm ever going to be recognized as a great in this league, It wont be for my points, but for my shut down game.  I'm hoping to possibly get a crack at the top pairing of the Americans this year, and prove I belong there.

Edited by Spade18

On 2/13/2018 at 12:52 AM, STZ said:

If there was one player you would want to play on a D-pairing with in the VHL, who would it be?

What former VHL Player would you say you model your game after?

Which New York American do you spend the most time with off the ice?

Which New York American Goalie has the weirdest pre-game ritual?

How have you found being a VHLM GM? Would you be interested in a VHL GM job?

Colton:

- My answer is two fold here.  One player I would love to be paired with is Jokenin @jRuutu.  He was voted best defenseman of the year, and playing along side him and being able to see how he sees the ice and thinks the game would be an incredibly opportunity.  The other would obviously be Casey Jones @der meister  He and I were a defensive pair down in Vegas, and we won a cup together.  We compliment each other really well, and his offensive talent really allows me to focus on shutting down our opponents.  It goes without saying he's a great guy as well and you can see why he's the captain of the Americans.

-- I would say I strive to model my game after Connor Low.  He was winning defensman of the year awards while posting lower numbers than his predecessors.  To be able to have a defensive game that stands out that much would be an honor.

-Jonesy, Komy and I spend a lot of time together off the ice, we all know each other from Vegas so we go way back like the front seat.  

- Arky does this thing before games where he hums and stretches.  You know how sweeds usually are.  Quiet and reserved.  And he is, most of the time. But right before he suits up, Arky does this... It's almost like yoga, but he kind of chants and hums to himself while he does it.  It starts low and soft, but by the time he gets to the end of the ritual, you almost can't have a conversation in the same room.  And then all of a sudden he just stops, and goes about his day like that wasn't the weirdest thing in the world.  I don't know what they teach their goalies in Scandinavia, but as long as it keeps working for him, I'm more than happy to pop in the ear buds for 10 minutes before a game. 

Spade:

-The VHLM has been a wonderful experience, Its a league unlike any other out there, the quick turn over, the rise and fall of players, the high cost of trades, it creates a constant tension thats unheard of in any other league.  The VHLM had received a lot of bad press from long time VHL analysts, that I feel is unheralded.  While I'm part of the VHLM, I want to do everything I can to cast a positive light on the league which welcomes new players into the VHL system. I have both been approached about taking on more responsibility in the VHLM AND as being a GM for a VHL club.  But right now, I feel my place is with the Aces.  Back when I was simply Colton's agent I felt as though the quick turnover of VHLM GMs was a detriment to creating a stable minor league.  When I was offered the opportunity to run the Aces, I knew I wanted to be here for the long haul.  I wanted to create a repertoire with the various agencies around the league, and make Las Vegas a hockey destination.  Maybe one day in the future I will move up into the big leagues.  But for now, I want to focus on making The VHLM and The Las Vegas Aces, a shining beacon of the VHL system.

Edited by Spade18

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Quik said:

@Spade18

The Americans are off to a hot start, winning 8 of their first 11 games. Individually, your points haven't quite come as many expected, any frustration to start the season?

Honestly, not particularly.  I'm logging high minutes so obviously my lack of scoring is not a detriment to our team winning.  Plus I'm much more of a shut down defender than an offensive defenseman.  Me locking down my half of the ice allows Jones @der meister to flourish on the offensive half, and it's much more important that he is producing and we're winning, than I'm producing and we're losing.  

If I put up no points for the rest of the year, and that means that the Americans win more games, that is a trade I would make 100% of the time.

• 2 months later...

1. Hi, man. How have you been?

2. Hows the season been going?

3. you loving the dominance NYA is laying down on the league?

4. Whats the biggest surprise this year in the VHL to you?

5. Think you'll  win the cup? Who are the teams that could dash your chances?

@Spade18

9 hours ago, Banackock said:

1. Hi, man. How have you been?

2. Hows the season been going?

3. you loving the dominance NYA is laying down on the league?

4. Whats the biggest surprise this year in the VHL to you?

5. Think you'll  win the cup? Who are the teams that could dash your chances?

@Spade18

1. Going well!  Been crazy busy at work now that the weather is turning (putting in 7 days a week, 9-13 hours a day) but other than that things are pretty tight, how've you been?

2. In the VHLM, it's going about as expected.  I didn't realize the YouTube recruitment drive was going to garner as many recruits as it did and I blew all of my draft picks last year to lose in game 7 of the cup final, so I knew the team was going to struggle this year.  Despite all that the Aces are in almost all of our games, and even pulling a few upset wins.  We also got a few new recruits and Kovalev is lighting it up, so I'm hoping we have a strong back 9 of the season, and maybe even pull a playoff upset or two.  On the VHL front, I could pretty much ask for no better.  The Americans are killing it and rolling our way into the post season.  Rayne put up incredible numbers this year, but unfortunately has slowed his pace in the last few sims, kind of derailing the bid for Best Defenseman.  But it's fine cause we have a real shot at the cup this season!

3. It's been a blast.  We have so many skilled guys on New York that even if someone has a down night, there is always someone there to pick up the slack.  I'm also coming to realize how lucky we are to have such a great locker room.  My time on New York has made for a great first Player in the VHL, and while I want to ride it out for as long as possible, It's gotten me excited for my future players in the league, where I can bring what I learned from NYA to other teams and other players.

4.  I would say how absolutely tight the competition has been so far this year.  Even with our lead on the league, I still hold my breath when I check box scores against the Titans, the Bears, and even the Wranglers.

5.  I think this is our year.  The team is gelling so well, and we have so many high talent players hitting their primes, I dont think anyone can stop us.  If there was a gun to my head and I had to choose, I would say The Titans have the best chance to upset us based on the games we've played against them being generally low scoring affairs. 

• 3 weeks later...

1.) How heartbreaking was it to lose in Game 7?

2.) Do you think New York will avenge their loss next season?\

3.) You helped me win my fantasy league this season; will you be worth drafting again next season?

• Admin

As a newer member in the league, did you find it easy/difficult to integrate in?

Do you feel the current retention efforts are the best we can do as a league to help a new member or are there areas being overlooked?

What were your hopes with Rayne and how far have these been met so far?

If you weren't playing for New York, which team would you most like to play for?

If could change one thing in the VHL, what would it be?

1. You got some shocking news that Arkander is done following season. How sad you were after hearing these news?

2. Do you think Kingfisher can be a worthy replacement?

3. How more seasons NY could compete?

4. Are you confident in Rockstar as a good replacement for Vegas?

5. How many HoF player the S57 class will produce?

On 6/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, omgitshim said:

1.) How heartbreaking was it to lose in Game 7?

2.) Do you think New York will avenge their loss next season?\

3.) You helped me win my fantasy league this season; will you be worth drafting again next season?

1. It was tough.  Especially since we came out and won two games quick.   The days after were a dark time for me, but we're back again this season, projecting to be a top team again, and after what we went through last year, I know we're going to step our game up and make sure it doesn't happen again.

2. You bet your ass we will.  The VHL will not know what hit them when they see the Americans this year.

3. I am ALWAYS worth drafting.

On 6/17/2018 at 4:39 PM, Victor said:

As a newer member in the league, did you find it easy/difficult to integrate in?

Do you feel the current retention efforts are the best we can do as a league to help a new member or are there areas being overlooked?

What were your hopes with Rayne and how far have these been met so far?

If you weren't playing for New York, which team would you most like to play for?

If could change one thing in the VHL, what would it be?

- I wont lie, it was a little difficult.  My first week or two I just claimed welfare because I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed.  But once I started diving in, it all came together and I fell in love with the VHL.

-I feel like our current retention efforts are good.  We have many different members reaching out to our new recruits and and it seems like our latest batch has some good keepers!

-When I first made Rayne, I honestly only expected to ever be a depth player.  Then as he got better and better and started producing at a high level, I had dreams of the Hall of Fame.  I see now, that those dreams will probably fall short, but I am proud of what I learned with him, how well he's done, and how dominant of a defenseman he's been his whole career.

- As far as team structure, I would want to be on Davos.  They are about to peak and it's going to be dangerous.  As far as teams that I like? The Seattle Bears.  Cool city, cool name, cool logo.

-Career lengths.  I understand why its a thing, but I would love to have a 20 season career with Rayne.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, hedgehog337 said:

1. You got some shocking news that Arkander is done following season. How sad you were after hearing these news?

2. Do you think Kingfisher can be a worthy replacement?

3. How more seasons NY could compete?

4. Are you confident in Rockstar as a good replacement for Vegas?

5. How many HoF player the S57 class will produce?

1. Devastated.  Arky has been a killer in net even before I was GM.  It's sad to see him go, but we all must move on to life after hockey one day.  It certainly brought my plans for a rebuild to a shorter term than I assumed.

2. We will see.  Kingfisher will be my first Goalie, and seeing as I play goalie IRL, I will be very critical of him.  He posted his first shut out in the VHLM today so it looks so far as though he is on the right course.

3.  If Arky were around for another year or two I would say up to 3 season.  But unless I am able to land a serious goaltending replacement, the rebuild may start next year.

4. ABSOLUTELY.  He has already done a great job and has the Ace's ship afloat again after I left it in somewhat of a disaster state.  He's been handling new members great so far and has even better years ahead of him.

5. I would say 4 or 5.  That turned out to be a class with some VERY high end talent in it.

1. How has the transition to GM gone?
  2. With King and Arkander retiring, the league seems to be transitioning to a point where goaltenders are finally becoming a wanted commodity. Do you think it'll be possible to compete, even with a lesser goalie in net, if there is only 1 or 2 star netminders in the league?
  3. Where were you when I was pushing for purchasable career extensions?

5 minutes ago, Quik said:
  1. How has the transition to GM gone?
  2. With King and Arkander retiring, the league seems to be transitioning to a point where goaltenders are finally becoming a wanted commodity. Do you think it'll be possible to compete, even with a lesser goalie in net, if there is only 1 or 2 star netminders in the league?
  3. Where were you when I was pushing for purchasable career extensions?

1. Well!  I walked into a very talented room.  We've had a few early season hic-ups, but by the time we get to the playoffs I intend for this team to be a serious contender for the continental cup.

2. I think we're about to enter a time where the doors are wide open in the league as far as contenders go.  Within the next 2-3 seasons, most of the house hold goalie names will be gone, and the next generation of goalies will just be on the cusp of their prime.  I think it is an exciting time for all the new blood we have in the VHL to be entering the league as I for see some crazy playoff series over then course of the next few years.

3. I WAS BUT A TWINKLE IN ME PAPPY'S EYE.

But seriously, I'm all about the extended careers. I would have Rayne have a 20 year career if I could.