New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

1. A recent string of losses, being outscored 16-6, how do you keep morale high?

Better team management would of got us a lot of more Ws instead of working around a single player.

2. 47 games into the season defenseman Guy LeGrande leads the Americans in points, does this push forwards to preform better or is LeGrande just that good?

LeGrande is a phenemon and I wish him the best of luck in NY. He may become one of the best d-men that NY ever had if he keeps it up and decides to stay here.

3. VHL rookies Dalton Wilcox and Lance Flowers lead both Goals and Assists respectively (not counting LeGrande), do you think one of them takes home Rookie of the Year?

Of course. I'm trying to get D.Wilcox ROTY, but I would love if we had the both of them top 2 in the rookie race.

4. A Red Guy has recently stepped up to the plate at goaltender, with nearly identical SV% and GAA to Gunnarsson, does his improved game garner confidence for the rest of the roster?

When you have 3× the starts of Gunnarson. I hope it's improving during the season lmao, but he just let in 6 goals last game. We shall see how things goes. I still believe that Gunnarson should have more starts and I think we did him dirty.

5. With such a young, inexperienced core, who shows the most leadership on and/or off the ice?

LeGrande is the closest on the ice and Nethilla is growing a lot, but outside the locker room. Not really anybody. Tho Elmebeck is showing signs of leadership even if he isn't the best. He's trying the hardest.

6. With 11 roster players eligible for WJC, are tensions higher than usual as national competition picks up?

I won gold for USA with a GWG so I don't really care about the WJC lmao.

1 hour ago, ColeMrtz said:

G'day 'Muricans

for the week of the 13th

1. A recent string of losses, being outscored 16-6, how do you keep morale high?

2. 47 games into the season defenseman Guy LeGrande leads the Americans in points, does this push forwards to preform better or is LeGrande just that good?

3. VHL rookies Dalton Wilcox and Lance Flowers lead both Goals and Assists respectively (not counting LeGrande), do you think one of them takes home Rookie of the Year?

4. A Red Guy has recently stepped up to the plate at goaltender, with nearly identical SV% and GAA to Gunnarsson, does his improved game garner confidence for the rest of the roster?

5. With such a young, inexperienced core, who shows the most leadership on and/or off the ice?

6. With 11 roster players eligible for WJC, are tensions higher than usual as national competition picks up?

1. Just go out and enjoy every win. Remember that we have a bright future ahead of us and that we are all fortunate to get to play this game we all love at such a high level.

2. I have no problem with D leading the way offensively. Our D are a little more seasoned then our forwards, so not really surprised it's been this way. They are all special to watch, LeGrande in particular.

3. Both are deserving. Gonna come down to how they perform the rest of the way. Really wish the best for them both.

4. Our goalie tandem is great. I played with Gunnarsson down in Halifax last year and the guy is a rock. A red guy is a big part of our future so happy to see him get noticed for some strong play.

5. Great leadership core. LeGrande, Elmebeck, and Rodriguez all stand out to me but our room is strong overall.

6. Lots of familiar faces on team Europe with me so mostly friendly. We have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be so the competitiveness should pick up.

1. A recent string of losses, being outscored 16-6, how do you keep morale high?

I read the "Classified ads".

He was the leading scorer in Halifax so  yes, he is that good.

Both are great team players and I would not want to have to pick between them.

He is the future and has proven, through hard work, that he belongs in this league. I have great respect for both our goalies.

Well Boris wears the "C" so it must be him.

6. With 11 roster players eligible for WJC, are tensions higher than usual as national competition picks up?

Excitement is up for sure. Great experience and a lot of fun. I was on the winning World team last season and it was a amazing time.

It's definitely not easy, especially with how hard I got beat up in the Seattle game. We're still in striking distance of Toronto but we have to focus and start winning games again.

Guy's done a great job as our lead defenseman. He's top 5 in the league in assists and it's helping drive our offense. We just need to do better at preventing goals.

I've been playing better but the team's record is much better with Gunnarsson in net and I just let Seattle score 6. I'm fully confident but I can't let the team down like that.

"Happy water with Scwheppes Ginger Ale." *sniggers* No, but seriously, I just try to work harder at training and perform better the next game. I was really unhappy with myself when almost getting to a plus/minus of 0 to go -3 the very next game. I need to work on that part of my game, is all. 

Honestly I think he's just that good right now, and played well (despite what he says sometimes :D). And also, our forwards are still young. But yeah, we're lucky to have @Steve on our team anchoring the blueline.

I have played with @Dalton Wilcox my whole career so I really hope he can take it, his wrist shot is sick! But I would obviously be happy for @CowboyinAmerica to take it home too.

I think a lot. Especially for the future. It's so important with goaltending, and here we have a prodigy to build off of until we start coming into our true form and dominate the league.

Disregarding the management, who I think are doing their job well, maybe Steve is the locker room leader, so not just on ice.

My father who GM's Team Europe picked me, @Ace, @studentized and @Saelven88, so I am hyped to be able to play with them in the tournament!

There's nothing a great night out on the town can't fix, courtesy of Mr. Wilcox.

I'm pretty sure he's just that good.  As a forward, it does push me to try to be better, especially as he's the same draft year as me.

It's definitely a rivalry between me and Lance.  We push each other to be the best we can be, but hopefully I get it :)

Absolutely.  With great goaltending, it gives you a chance to win every night.  I'm looking forward to him being one of the best goaltenders in the VHL.

Rodriguez has been great as a linemate.  On my off games, he always has the right thing to say to keep my morale up.  He also sets me up for a lot of my goals which is nice.

Definitely.  Having won gold at the last WJC as part of team world, anything can happen.  Everyone doubted us, not many chose us to finish even in the top 3, yet we won the whole damn thing.

Just have to keep into perspective that it's a long season. Those games will happens, but in other games we'll inexplicably kill Helsinki. There's always highs and lows.

2. 47 games into the season defenseman Guy LeGrande leads the Americans in points, does this push forwards to perform better or is LeGrande just that good?

Both? Sometimes you just have a talented player, and if LeGrande's performing then he's performing. But I would like to see all of our players on his level, and I hope we all get there soon.

I'd like to think I'm in play, especially considering my hits and shots blocked. But just need to continue my strong play through the rest of the season.

I suppose, but just like with the rest of the team, we're all young and growing. What I really am confident in is that one, or both, will be there when we're really contending.

It seems like a cliche to say the coaching staff and management, but especially in the absence of many veterans, it's incumbent on them to keep everyone else in line. And I think they've done a good job of that.

Not really. It's a fun distraction, but I wouldn't really say it's contentious at all. New York is my top priority, and I think it is for most others, too.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:58 PM, ColeMrtz said:

G'day 'Muricans

for the week of the 13th

6. With 11 roster players eligible for WJC, are tensions higher than usual as national competition picks 

1. Whiskey. Lots and lots of whiskey. 

2. Definitely. Guy’s hustle is inspiring. His work ethic makes us all attack the grind harder. Love playing with him.

3. I hope so. Would be amazing to see Dalton or Lance take home Rookie of the Year. They’re stellar teammates, tireless workers, and both are much deserving. 

4. You bet. I believe A Red Guy has the potential to be an all time great goalie in this league. He’s gonna make mistakes as a rookie, we just gotta let him grow.

5. Our AGM Cole is doing killer work helping guide and motivate the team. Great hire by Esso.

6. Definitely. We want the best competing out there. If you’re not sweating it you don’t want it bad enough. 

Edited by chillzone

For the week of the 20th:

1. With lines in a current state of malleability, what's one thing in particular you'd like to see tried?

2. We currently sit 9 points behind Toronto with 9 games left to be played, 3 of ours being played against the expansion teams. Are we still in the running?

3. Our defensively minded players have made an impact on the league leaderboards for the defensive side of the game, who do you see stepping up for our offensive core?

4. If we can't overtake Toronto in the standings, which prospects do you want to see added to our program?

5. Nearing the end of the season, are there any standouts around the league that come as a surprise?

6. What's your goal for next season?

1. With lines in a current state of malleability, what's one thing in particular you'd like to see tried?

Use the lines that we got a lot of Ws from AKA L.Flowers - S.LeGrande and A.Rodriguez- Nethilla then give a chance to W.Clements. His drop off isn't normal and I feel that he didn't deserve that kind of year. 

2. We currently sit 9 points behind Toronto with 9 games left to be played, 3 of ours being played against the expansion teams. Are we still in the running?

We would have been if we did the lines that we had A LOT EARLIER, but I don't believe that Toronto would lose so many games so yeah. Somehow cost us something good to have this season.

3. Our defensively minded players have made an impact on the league leaderboards for the defensive side of the game, who do you see stepping up for our offensive core?

Welp I would say Nethilla at first 'cuz he had like 43 pts last year with around 130 hits already, but A.Rodriguez only had 42 pts and 53 hits. Now he could get 70 pts and 200 hits which clearly shows what he worked on during the off season. Anyway, NY won't lose anything with Nethilla signing that juicy friendly extension.

4. If we can't overtake Toronto in the standings, which prospects do you want to see added to our program?

I didn't saw the draft class yet, but NY could get the number one overall pick which will be... good for them after this season?

5. Nearing the end of the season, are there any standouts around the league that come as a surprise?

Malmo looks really good even though M.Thompson is retiring (was expecting a meh record and M.Thompson still dominating) and the Seattle Bear young team progression has been a lot faster than expected.

Make the conference finals and maybe get around 80-90 pts if the assets that I need to succeed are there.

Be proactive with the lines instead of reactive. This should have been a season to test line/pairings but it seems to  have been overlooked for the most part.

In our current state, not a chance.

With the highest TPA, Boris should be leading the team. Goes back to line adjustments that should have happened.

I have my eye on a couple, but I only look at activity not pure skills. So I would have to think about that.

Glad to see Smitty doing well in the league despite being on Davos.

Hopefully be on a winning team aiming to get better, or just play out my contract.

18 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

1. Don't have enough information or experience to talk about line setting in am informed way. Should be set to whatever wins us the most games, but I imagine that needs a lot of experimenting over fairly large sample sizes to figure out.

2. Catching up 9 points in 9 games would be a miracle. Stranger things have happened, but we understand that we most likely miss the playoffs due to how we played the rest of the year.

3. As a part of the core of forwards, I still think we will be fine over time. It was a tough year for us, but I really think I can step up and improve the next couple of years.

4. There are some pretty good top end S69 prospects, and we should be able to grab at least one. I'm less informed on some of the lower ranked ones, but that's where the success of a draft is built

5. That whole European conference dominating the NA one. Malmo with the Matt Thompson comeback tour has been a cool story

6. Strong showing in playoffs. 20-30 goals as am individual one.

Nothing, absolutely nothing. I'm serious, why not stick with what has helped us overachieve?

This has gotten even closer since the time you wrote this. I would have originally said no, but after beating Seattle and Toronto losing four straight, I'm willing to say we still have a shot at this.

I may pick Boris the Forest as breakout player of the year next year. I think his goal scoring's ready to go to a whole new level next season, and I'm excited to see it happen.

I wouldn't mind more offensive talent. Both Soren Jensen and Benny Graves are very intriguing if it were to break down that way.

Sure, I'll say that I'm a surprise. I mean, as a rookie, topping 50 points, leading the league in hits and being top five in shots blocked is pretty cool//

I think I'm ready to fight for a Defenseman of the Year trophy. My offense will hopefully catch my defense by that point.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, ColeMrtz said:

1.  We did well in the beginning of the season.  We should go back to those lines.

2.  It's never over until we're fully out.  As long as the lines are adjusted, I think we might have a chance.

3.  I want to say myself.  I think I'm pretty underrated around the league and also by my own teammates. I feel I can contribute much much more if I am given the opportunity.

4.  Whoever can provide more scoring depth.  Also we could use some defensive dmen to help us out on that side of the ice.

5.  The DC Dragons.  I believe we have a losing record against them and they don't even have a full roster.

6.  To continue to build off my rookie season.  It's going to be tough but I want to be challanger for most goals and most points in the VHL.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, ColeMrtz said:

1. Experiment, test pairings, see what works and what doesn't. It's ok to fail as long as we grow from it.

2. Not this season, but in the long run, mos def.

3. Grind together, rise together. We all stepping up as a team.

4. Let's get another high speed, sharp shooter in here. 

5. Seattle Bears. Dope to see how that young squad is growing. We gotta show them wassup next season.

6. Hungry to make the playoffs.

1. What are your plans for the offseason?
2. Did you think you met your goals this season as a player?
3 What areas are you going to improve on before the start of next season?
4. What position are we the weakest?
5. Do you have a good feeling going into next season that we will do better?
6. Who did you like to play with during the season as a linemate?
7. We have a lot of good young talent on the team, will they be enough to push us into contenders?
8. Boris is becoming a beast, do you think he will be the top scorer on the team finally next season?
9. Our defense is really taking shape. Do you feel there should be any additions to the backend?
10. Do you think there wil be more attention to making lines that work this next season?

When Steve asks, you answer.

I am so busy in real life I kind of am looking forward to just doing my 13 points, hopefully. This theme week has been hard, wish it had been announced a week ahead.

I think so, not very happy with my plus/minus. I don't want to be a scoring defenseman, more of a balanced once, but at -10 that's no good. I realize you have to roll with the team too, but I think I could have been better in plus/minus, hits and blocked shots.

Skating and Defence, but I will probably put five points into Leadership as it's irritating to have it at 45.

Not sure if this is true or not, I haven't bothered to check the updates, but we have a bunch of S66 forwards that are maybe not putting all into it.

Yes, I really like the potential of this team. Definitely playoffs next year, or bust. Cup the season after, if we can hold out.

You of course, but we're not very compatible, so Flowers @CowboyinAmerica of course.

7. We have a lot of good young talent on the team, will they be enough to push us into contenders?

The whole team seems kind of young, so yes. This is the strength. It's like a 1995 Detroit Red Wings or Colorado Avalanche, pick your poison.

8. Boris is becoming a beast, do you think he will be the top scorer on the team finally next season?

Possibly, yes. I still don't know the league or the engine well enough yet, but I can definitely see @chillzone becoming a dominant force in the league.

9. Our defense is really taking shape. Do you feel there should be any additions to the backend?

I think we need one more, I would go for @JohnOQuinn.

10. Do you think there wil be more attention to making lines that work this next season?

As long as you are around nagging the brass I am sure there will be. :) 

7 hours ago, Steve said:

2. I learned how to be a better pro. It was not a good season for me on any level, but I'm hoping to prove that I learned some important lessons by doing better next year.

3. Defence and grit. I think I'm happy with my goal scoring ability, I just need to earn an opportunity to play more.

4. We have lots of potential at wing, but not very strong at the moment. 

5. Yes. Everyone works hard and if our core stays together we will get better. Next year should be the start of our window.

6. Walter Clements was a solid centre. Someone who understood the role and played responsibly. Offensive output aside, I enjoyed my time playing with him.

9. I wouldn't touch a thing honestly. Let those guys grow, but we are super lucky to have a strong blue line.

Working hard on improving and hopefully continuing to grow along with this great New York defensive core.

I earned TPE at a good pace, that was really my primary concern in what I saw as a season for the team to grow.

As a goalie I'm gonna keep working on improving everything, that's the name of the game at this position.

We could definitely use another top young forward to work with the guys we already have. Center specifically is looking like a potential long-term need with Eller disappearing from practice.

We have a lot of ascending players and two first rounders to play with, whether we make those picks or move them for more limelight-ready players I think we'll improve a good amount.

Boris is a key piece who is developing into a leader on this team. His numbers may not go up too much next year with us possibly acquiring more depth but the quality of his play has steadily improved.

First I'm going to be hitting up parties in NYC.  Then I'm going to travel the world, maybe go back to Hong Kong to see if I can find my mother.  Training for next season can come later.

Absolutely.  As one of the highest scoring rookies in the VHL, I think I more than exceeded my expectations.

Probably defense.  We can score, but we give up a lot of goals.

Absolutely.  I have confidence our front office will make the necessary changes to improve and the remaining players continue to grow and develop.

I think I can challenge for that, especially since I was only one point behind him this year, in my rookie year no less.  Im pretty underrated around the league and even by my own teammates.  However, Boris and I had great chemistry together and I think we can light up the league together.

I sure hope so.  We had lines that work, but they got changed and things never really clicked after that.

I got more points at least.

Blocking more shots.

Not weak, but improving overtime will make it up in due time.

5. Do you have a good feeling going into next season that you will do better?

We shall see.

I got a lot of points from Nethilla so ye.

Hope they don't repeat history again in NY

On 10/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, Steve said:

1. Hit my goal of 99/99 in Scoring and Defense last week. Gonna focus on skating this offseason, maybe some Puck Handling too.

2. Yeah, this season was always gonna be work in progress. My teammates and I kept earning and improving. I’m good with the work we did. 

4. We need more depth at forward or center, especially after Eller vanishing. Come back Frans ??

5. We’ll make a jump, with our growing players and upcoming picks. How big of a jump? That’s on us.

6. Dalton for sure. I hope we grow into a deadly offensive pair. 

8. I’ll try my best. 

Press Conference! Week of Nov 2nd

1. Halloween’s coming up. What is your biggest fear?

2. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would it be?

3. Best advice for the incoming rookie class?

4. Name one thing you’ve learned the hard way?

5. What are your personal hopes for the NY Americans next season?

6. Is there a story behind the number you chose for your jersey?

7. What's one goal you're determined to achieve in your lifetime?

8. What’s your favorite way to decompress after a game?

9. Do you have any recommendations on how to improve the NY Americans LR?

10. How did you discover the VHL?

1. Halloween’s coming up. What is your biggest fear?

I have a van with no windows and a bag a candy. My biggest fear is that it won't start on Halloween.

2. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would it be?

I would say,  Albert Einstein, Abe Lincoln and Jimi Hendrix

3. Best advice for the incoming rookie class?

Be active, earn max tpe, ask questions.

4. Name one thing you’ve learned the hard way?

Having a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive fast all the time, I had the tickets to prove it.

5. What are your personal hopes for the NY Americans next season?

I would like to build on this last season and just get better. I think with more skill with myself and my partner, that should happen.

6. Is there a story behind the number you chose for your jersey?

22 is the number of the master architect, as well as peace and balance

7. What's one goal you're determined to achieve in your lifetime?

To be in the HOF in the VHL. What else is there?

8. What’s your favorite way to decompress after a game?

I like a nice hot shower and a big rib eye steak.Calms the mind.

9. Do you have any recommendations on how to improve the NY Americans LR?

We need to have more players post in the LR. I say we have someone, everyday call for like a roll call and ping the players. Let's get some attention to some content that a few do put in there and maybe we can get more comments from players that mostly are ghosts.

10. How did you discover the VHL?

I was recruited by VanCanWin from a sim I was in for around 12 years. I thank him for telling me about the VHL and I haven't looked back.

5) Want to move out of that "rebuild" phase and into the "contender" one.

6) Sharks legend of the same name wore #11. Might as well be consistent. 

7) Get my phD. Won't happen until I'm ready to retire cause also got to earn a living.

8 ) Hug my dog. Guy is a pro cuddler

9) Hmm this is an interesting one since I've found that I'm not a huge fan of discord-side of the VHL compared to forums. I find that the LR is most active after sims go up and that's when I'm working. Also find the flow of conversation harder to follow when everyone is chatting. Not sure how to improve, honestly.

10) From a Reddit post. Joined at an awkward time, just hours before a VHLM draft, but still managed to talk a bit to Halifax and get drafted