New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

(I'm doing last week's first because I never did, then I'll do the next week's soon)

1. What are your plans for the offseason?

Just time to relax. Sure, the VHLM season is technically the same length as the VHL, but it doesn't take as much of a physical toll. I think it's time to let my body rest.

2. Did you think you met your goals this season as a player?

I do, very much so. All I wanted to do was make an impact, and with all of my hits, shots blocked and assists, certainly think I did so.

3 What areas are you going to improve on before the start of next season?

I do need to be a bit more of an offensive playmaker. I've been working on my puck handling, and skating will be coming up next.

4. What position are we the weakest?

We do need a bit more offensive firepower. Nothing against our current players at all - the more the merrier, we've got the defense and goaltending on lock.

5. Do you have a good feeling going into next season that we will do better?

We were better this season than I thought we were expected to be, in my eyes. So yes, it portends good things for next season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a playoff push.

7. We have a lot of good young talent on the team, will they be enough to push us into contenders?

Contenders for the VHL title may be a bit of a stretch right away. I'll say S70 will be our year for that, but I'll be happy with being a solid playoff team next season.

1. Halloween’s coming up. What is your biggest fear?

There is an old folk tale of the Sal Minellan people that children that stay up last their bedtime get stabbed by an awful creature called A Blue Guy 10 times for every hour past the bedtime they stay up. So A Blue Guy would be my biggest fear.

2. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would it be?

Dan Aykroyd, Kevin Federline, and the greatest Sal Minellan rockstar, An Orange Guy.

3. Best advice for the incoming rookie class?

Enjoy the pre-draft process, it's a lot of fun.

4. Name one thing you’ve learned the hard way?

Don't stop the puck with your face.

5. What are your personal hopes for the NY Americans next season?

I think we have the horses to push for the playoffs, so hopefully that's the next direction we head.

6. Is there a story behind the number you chose for your jersey?

8 is the best number.

I'm generally not a fan of heights. Just keep me with two skates (or feet) on the ground, and I'm totally good. It's a good thing New York isn't known for any tall buildings or anything...

Your first year won't be like it was in the VHLM. You won't get the same numbers. Just expect that, and know that the times of dominating will come if you stick with it.

Sometimes, people are just jerks. It's good to be nice to everyone as much as you can, but sometimes that won't be reciprocated, and that's OK. It's nothing to do with you.

I think a playoff berth is a completely reasonable goal to have. We should be able to make a leap to above .500 next season, which should be enough in our conference.

7. What's one goal you're determined to achieve in your lifetime?

It's to be standing on the pedestal with a championship trophy in my hand. It seems so cliche, but that's what I'm continued to work towards. I'm sure I'll have more long-lasting goals after retirement.

10. How did you discover the VHL?

It's been a while at this point, but I've always known people in the league pretty much since its inception. It just took a little prodding - and the chance to be part of some cool history here.

In Sweden Hallow's Eve is about remembrance of the dead, not fear from them.The American tradition of candy and dressing up has been growing the past 20 years though. But to provide an honest answer, I fear the day I don't care anymore for those who have gone to the grave - for this year I will visit a few friends and relatives and put candles on their graves.

2. If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would it be?
Never thought I would be able to answer a question like that here, and I choosing between all the names that come up immediately is pretty hard.... but probably Socrates, David Hume and Thomas Jefferson.

Wherever you go, there you are.

It would be nice with, and I think we can achieve playoffs at least. But my hopes are we keep and build on the broad active core of players we have. That is after all our strength and promise for the seasons ahead.

#5 is of course for Lidström, whom I model my player by.

7. What's one goal you're determined to achieve in your lifetime?
VHL: Cup, Hall of Fame player.
IRL: Become independent and free from the State.

Just go be all you can be man, to quote Lincoln Osiris. Have fun, don't take yourself too seriously and always work hard. You might not get the attention you feel deserve, but things will work out as long as you believe in yourself.

Hopefully make the playoffs and contend for the VHL championship.

It was my childhood number growing up and it gave me success at all levels of hockey so I stuck with it.

8. What’s your favorite way to decompress after a game?

A couple of brewskis, maybe visit the rippers with my buddies?

9. Do you have any recommendations on how to improve the NY Americans LR?

Some more group outings, maybe some visits to the Dalton Wilcox ranch.

10. How did you discover the VHL?

On reddit.  Found it about 7 months ago and never left.

For the week of the (10th? 11th? 9th?)

1. The Americans scraped the bottom of the lottery, walking away with the 4th and 12th overall picks of the S69 draft. Who would you be most excited to see join the squad?

2. The S69 FA pool is incredibly deep this year, with a lot of big names becoming available at the end of the season. Who’s the best on the market?

3. Last season we just barely lost the battle against Toronto for the playoffs. With new assets on the horizon, where do you expect us to place this coming season?

4. With such an expansive FA market, a lot of teams are going to have to take a hit to their rosters. Who do you think fares the worst?

5. Prospects Ryo Yamazuki II @Donno100, Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake and Jaxon Walker @hewasajazzman have all jumped up to the VHL level during the off-season with our team. How do you expect them to do in their inaugural seasons?

6. Who do you consider to be your biggest rival in the VHL, whether it be a team or individual player?

1. The Americans scraped the bottom of the lottery, walking away with the 4th and 12th overall picks of the S69 draft. Who would you be most excited to see join the squad?

I have my eye on the Hiroshi Okada kid. Looks like a real worker. Other than that, there are a lot of young players that just need some development.

2. The S69 FA pool is incredibly deep this year, with a lot of big names becoming available at the end of the season. Who’s the best on the market?

Just about anyone could fit on our team but I leave those things to the boss.

3. Last season we just barely lost the battle against Toronto for the playoffs. With new assets on the horizon, where do you expect us to place this coming season?

I would hope to make the playoffs with the team coming together like it was towards the end of last season. I don't want to set any team goals though as we have to find our pace first.

4. With such an expansive FA market, a lot of teams are going to have to take a hit to their rosters. Who do you think fares the worst?

The team that loses the most FA's.

5. Prospects Ryo Yamazuki II @Donno100, Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake and Jaxon Walker @hewasajazzman have all jumped up to the VHL level during the off-season with our team. How do you expect them to do in their inaugural seasons?

Well their future is in their own hands. If they work hard and gain some skills, they will play and succeed.

6. Who do you consider to be your biggest rival in the VHL, whether it be a team or individual player?

Every team is our rival. I look at whichever team is ahead of us in the standings and make sure we play hard against them.

Edited by Steve

6 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

For the week of the (10th? 11th? 9th?)

5. Prospects Ryo Yamazuki II @Donno100, Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake and Jaxon Walker @hewasajazzman have all jumped up to the VHL level during the off-season with our team. How do you expect them to do in their inaugural seasons?

1. With the removal of "GM player" being a thing (at least I think its no longer a thing) , I would like to see us draft George Washington. Played with him in Halifax and if he trains anything like Kastelic does, he's gonna be good.

2. Willinsky reunion? Not sure how open he would be to coming back but that guys a pro and someone I model my game after.

3. I can see us overcoming Toronto and Calgary. Gonna largely depend on the off season we all have, but my hope is for 2nd in the NA conference

4. Malmo losing Thompson right off the bat will hurt. Moscow with Past, etc. My vote would be for those two.

5. I expect them to kick ass. I set the bar pretty low so hopefully they can fare better than I did.

6. Seattle personally. We are the two up and comers in the NA. Looking forward to building that rivalry more.

• Commissioner
36 minutes ago, studentized said:

1. With the removal of "GM player" being a thing (at least I think its no longer a thing) , I would like to see us draft George Washington. Played with him in Halifax and if he trains anything like Kastelic does, he's gonna be good.

He was created before the new rules so he still goes to DC. Glade’s new player is the first to fall under the new rules.

Haven't been paying too much attention to VHLM this season, but folks like Ben Storm, Guy Sasakamoose, and Erik Summers have caught my eye. 

I like the younger guys - Tyler Barabash Jr, Charlie Paddywagon are awesome. Also got love for Morpheus Destructius. 

Hard to say. Let's see how the offseason goes.

Maybe Davos.

5. Prospects Ryo Yamazuki II @Donno100, Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake and Jaxon Walker @hewasajazzman have all jumped up to the VHL level during the off-season with our team. How do you expect them to do in their inaugural seasons?

They gonna do big things. Hope they have a good time too.

I'm my own biggest rival. 

We definitely need to strengthen our forward core for the long term.

I haven't looked into free agents too much but whenever a player of Dan Wilinsky's caliber comes available there's usually a big scramble to bring them in.

We have to be expecting playoffs for S69. You can't take too long in the VHL with the brevity of career length.

Not really sure, just glad to see it won't be us.

I'm excited to add them onto the squad. All three guys were very impactful in the VHLM last year and with two of them being forwards, they can hopefully help our offense track a little better.

I definitely put myself up against my draft class rivals, especially my fellow first rounders Raymond Bernard and Samuel Ross.

Yeah, wish that could have gone better. I do still think the Americans need more offensive talent, and I find guys like Hiroshi Okada, RJ Jubis and Kris Rice interesting. For someone like Okada, would hope he'd turn out to be what Eller wasn't.

I haven't done much research, but I've always been a fan of Wilinsky. That combination of scoring ability, defensive forward play and experience would be a perfect fit for a New York team that wants to compete sooner than later.

Playoffs is absolutely a goal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see New York battling for second in the conference. It's a lofty goal, but one I think we can achieve.

There's a whole lot of Davos in that free agent pool, and it would be tough to keep everybody. Not sure there's much of a path for them right now.

5. Prospects Ryo Yamazuki II, Aamon Grim and Jaxon Walker have all jumped up to the VHL level during the off-season with our team. How do you expect them to do in their inaugural seasons?

Any time you're jumping up for the first time, there's going to be a transition period. But I think there's room for all three to contribute right away with this young team, and I'd expect especially someone like Yamazuki to hit 25-30 goals with regular forward playing time.

Has to be Seattle, right? They're the current champs and who we're chasing in the conference. They're also the other non-expansion U.S. team. I want to be the ones to take them down.

There are a few ex-Houston and ex-/current players I have helped manage in Saskatoon this draft, of course it would be fun if some of them ended up in New York.

I don't know all names and it's a bit much work to see who is active, but despite his weirdly distributed attributes Morpheus Destructious played well for me in the WJC and amassed less penalty minutes than expected. :) 

Top five is not at all unreasonable, but perhaps a lofty goal; but I think we can do it. Playoffs should not be in jeopardy at any rate.

Just looking at it, Davos. 

It's relatively hard to do well from the start, but New York is a young team so they will probably get a bit more minutes on ice than if they played for a top tier team. They should do reasonable.

Looking at last season we were in that group with Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Moscow. Personally I believe Davis will drop a bit with their aging roster. So I would like to say Seattle is who we should compete with, get up in that top three to five bracket for next season.

For this week

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans, most notably first round picks @Velevra and @JohnOQuinn. How do you feel we made out.

2. FA ended with a distinct lack of contracts being signed with the Americans, how do you feel this impacts our upcoming season?

3. The off-season is coming to a close, and rosters look pretty set in stone. How do you predict the season to pan out across the board?

4. Who do you think has the biggest offseason this “year”?

5. What was the biggest surprise from the VHL draft in your opinion?

6. What’s your boldest prediction for next season (player awards, team positions, etc.)?

1. We just completed our draft - what advice or tips do you have for our incoming rookies?  

2. Aleksander Rodriguez left our team for Malmo this offseason - what parting words or wishes do you have for him?

3. Our co-captain Guy LaGrande won Most Improved Player last season - what leap do you expect from him next season?

4. What does New York have to work on this offseason to push into the playoffs?

5. Our young star Lance Flowers won both Rookie of the Year and Top Defensive Defenseman last season - were you surprised?

6. What are your personal goals for next season?

7. We got a new mascot - @Nykonax  - what animal or creature should he be?

8. What's your favorite midnight snack?

9. What sports do you follow outside hockey?

10. What's your go-to dance song?

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans, most notably first round picks @Velevra and @JohnOQuinn. How do you feel we made out.

- picking up someone like velevra, i feel like we did did awesome. velevra is an amazing active user and will help lead the way into the future.

2. FA ended with a distinct lack of contracts being signed with the Americans, how do you feel this impacts our upcoming season?

- i dont know because i dont know anything about this league i just know that i signed for 4 years so thats 4 more seasons of mediocre walter play

3. The off-season is coming to a close, and rosters look pretty set in stone. How do you predict the season to pan out across the board?

i think we will continue to build off of last season which was definitely an improvement

new york because i dont know the name of the other teams

i dont know who was in the draft besides the two people we drafted so im gonna say the fact that we got both of them

6. What’s your boldest prediction for next season (player awards, team positions, etc.)?

walter wins mvp

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans, most notably first round picks @Velevra and @JohnOQuinn. How do you feel we made out.

I like the players we were able to acquire. I think they will fill in spots that are needed to be filled. Very excited about the new players.

Well, it would have been nice to sign maybe one FA but really, it doesn't matter at this point as we have a clear path to success.

Too early to tell of course, but I am very excited about this next season. I think we will surprise a lot of teams. It will take some dedication and hard work, which we are willing to do.

I am not sure how to answer that question.

I think the lack of players and how low their tpe was compared to previous drafts.

I think we make the playoffs and kick some ass during the season. I have my own personal goals that I will keep to myself at this time. 

37 minutes ago, ColeMrtz said:

For this week

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans, most notably first round picks @Velevra and @JohnOQuinn. How do you feel we made out.

1. Really well. Draft fell off a bit after the top 3 guys, and we managed to grab one of them at number 4. 

2. I'm a big fan of the plan Esso has laid out. Would rather not make impulse signings of it doesn't fit in with that plan, and that's what it looks like we did.

3. Seattle vs Malmo round two would be lame, but looking likely. I'm big on Moscow for EU though and my underdog from NA would be Calgary.

4. Just wrote a bit about it in my VHL.com article, but Moscow had another really smart off season

5. Jensen falling to us at number 4. Okada falling to number 9

6. Steve league MVP? Nolan MIP? Calgary somehow winning cup on the back of brick wahl?

FOR WEEK OF NOV 10

im good with anyone who can help the team.  We really need any scoring help we can get.

I'm not following the FA market too closely but like #1, happy to get any scoring help we can.

As our players improve, I expect us to compete for a playoff spot and hopefully upset some contenders :)

Not sure who has the least cap space, but probably them.

To be named on the all rookie team like I did.  Just kidding.  If they can contribute to our scoring, that would be great.

None really, still making a name for myself in the VHL.  Rivalries are built over time.

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans. How do you feel we made out?

Spectacularly. I had no hope that Jensen was going to fall to us; I think he's maybe who we would have taken with even the first pick overall. And especially with Foreskin moving positions, O'Quinn becomes an integral piece to the defense, and excited where he goes from here.

I mean, there will be fewer wins for the Americans. But for now, that's OK. Next year, and the S67 draft class getting to free agency, is what I'm really excited for.

I still expect us to be in the playoff hunt, fighting more against Calgary and Vancouver this time. We definitely have more depth than both of them, but we'll see whether their top-end talent can carry them.

Moscow with signing free agents is huge, but I'll go a different way: Davos will see the biggest impact, but in a negative way. It's going to be a rough couple of years over there.

I really do think it's Jansen, honestly. He was one of the top two talents in my opinion, and I'm still shocked he dropped to 4.

Boris the Forest will be a contender for MVP. Book it. He's got the attributes and worked hard to be where he is now.

23 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

For this week

1.  I feel they're a good fit for our locker room and hopefully they can make an impact sooner than later.

2.  Im fine with it.  I feel we have a great core that will just continue to develop.

3.  I feel we should  make the playoffs and have members of our team in the top 10 scoring.

4.  Moscow had a big offseason, good for them.

5.  None really.  The top players went where they should have, and it'll be exciting to see more young talent in the VHL the next season.

6.  i feel we'll surprise a lot of people and make a run in the playoffs.  There, I said it.

1. We just completed our draft - what advice or tips do you have for our incoming rookies?  

Accept to fill up the depth roles and get used to the VHL for this season. Only one of yall can do a Dalton Wilcox/Lance Flowers type of season.

3. Our co-captain Guy LaGrande won Most Improved Player last season - what leap do you expect from him next season?

Become and continue to be one of the best overall defense men in the league.

Try to have effective lines to win games since the NA became even more weaker. (Excluding Seattle)

5. Our young star Lance Flowers won both Rookie of the Year and Top Defensive Defenseman last season - were you surprised?

Nope, but I feel like Dalton Wilcox was really overlooked by only getting one vote from where he came from.

Make and compete in the playoff. Maybe have the best regular season team award?

7. We got a new mascot - @Nykonax  - what animal or creature should he be?

Wobbbbbbbbaaaaaaa fetttttt. (Pokémon )

9. What sports do you follow outside hockey?

Basket-ball since I'm a college basket ball player in real life lol

I guess a few of them are kind of veterans. But generally, make sure to have fun, and ask questions - we have a lof of experience and knowledgeable people on the team.

2. Aleksander Rodriguez left our team for Malmo this offseason - what parting words or wishes do you have for him?
Good luck, sad that he can't be a part of our cup runs that I am certain will happen with in a season or two.

I believe he has a good chance to top all defenders in points this season.

Even more depth perhaps. The lines and players we have are looking good, but to extend depth a bit more can only be helpful.

Perhaps at the second title, which is very impressive. Rookie of the Year is as impressive but not as surprising.

Get my baseline attributes in order so that I can be truly effective on the blueline both offensively and defensively. I am hoping most of that will be in place by mid-season and also have a plan for end of season and the playoffs.

Edited by Elmebeck

1. The VHL draft has come to a conclusion, seeing a plethora of new faces join the Americans, most notably first round picks @Velevra and @JohnOQuinn. How do you feel we made out.

I'm obviously biased here but I thought NY has a great draft and made 2 very good picks!

It probably means that NY isn't a true contender but that's alright. I expect the young players to step up and have good seasons to make sure the team is still decently competitive. 

I expect us to make the playoffs and hopefully put up a decent showing in it but ultimately fall short. 

I think Malmo and Moscow both had some good FA signings. Should be interesting to see those two teams battle it out. 

Once again I'm probably biased but I would say my own player falling to 4th Overall

Soren Jensen will win Rookie of the Year in dominant fashion!

For this week:

1. How are you celebrating the start to the regular season?

2. New York is sitting 2nd in NA and 5th Overall to start the season, how do we feel going forward?

3. True rookie Soren Jensen has had an exceptional start to his career with 4pts in 6 games. How does this youth production impact our program?

4. Expansion teams DC and Prauge claim to have their footing under them, coming out undefeated opening night and remaining as middle of the pack teams, do you expect any breakout seasons for their programs?

5. We recently upset the cup favorite Moscow Menace, how do we feel coming out of that game?

6. Who’s the loudest personality on the NY bench?