New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

I'm writing pressers again

For the week of the 15th:

1. One of our key players Guy LeGrande was recently shipped out to Seattle for Kevin Low and a 3rd, what impact does that have on our team and locker room?

2. On the flip side, Kevin Low joins our defensive core as a solid addition to the backend, how does he impact our roster?

3. After a long stretch of brutal games, we've recently beat out Calgary in the standings to move into a playoff position. How do we keep up our current pace of play and maintain this spot?

4. Soren Jensen currently sits tied for most points by a rookie this season, how does he represent our program and where we'll be moving forwards?

5. With only 25 games left in the season, do you expect us to move in the standings much more or hold our current position?

6. Of the top 10 point leaders league-wide, who are you most surprised to see?

1. One of our key players Guy LeGrande was recently shipped out to Seattle for Kevin Low and a 3rd, what impact does that have on our team and locker room?
Let's beat Seattle, eh? But of course sad to see him go, I was hoping he'd stay.

2. On the flip side, Kevin Low joins our defensive core as a solid addition to the backend, how does he impact our roster?
So far we have been winning... but no, we should be open to defence pair changes; but I would say how the lines are now have worked well - maybe that is due to our or forwards, goalie or change in defence I don't know.

3. After a long stretch of brutal games, we've recently beat out Calgary in the standings to move into a playoff position. How do we keep up our current pace of play and maintain this spot?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Let's try this out a while and see how it goes. I don't really see any trades we could or should make, nor any necessary line-changes (from my blueline point of view, listen to the forwards).

4. Soren Jensen currently sits tied for most points by a rookie this season, how does he represent our program and where we'll be moving forwards?
He's the embodiment of this young team, we're mostly S66+ and we're going to shine as long as people stick with it.

5. With only 25 games left in the season, do you expect us to move in the standings much more or hold our current position?
It's between us an Calgary now, I don't think we realistically can close up to Toronto.... it's a possibility, but if we focus on outperforming Calgary we'll be fine.

I'm actually mostly surprised VHL doesn't even have a 1.5 pts/game player this season. 63 points in 47 games, eh.

I do find it funny that John Madden has taken most hits.

@Thranduil

LeGrande is a good player and someone that will do well in Seattle. Im not sure how the locker-room was prior to a few days ago, but hopefully that Low character can be a positive addition.

2. On the flip side, Kevin Low joins our defensive core as a solid addition to the backend, how does he impact our roster?

I’m an active third year defenseman that is closing in on 600 TPE by seasons end. I hopefully will positively impact the back-end and help in the playoff push.

3. After a long stretch of brutal games, we've recently beat out Calgary in the standings to move into a playoff position. How do we keep up our current pace of play and maintain this spot?

We need to get pucks to the net and limit the pucks to our net.

4. Soren Jensen currently sits tied for most points by a rookie this season, how does he represent our program and where we'll be moving forwards?

New York has always been a good franchise for a while now in producing superstats. Jensen has put in the work to be great player and it’s also starting to show.

5. With only 25 games left in the season, do you expect us to move in the standings much more or hold our current position?

From what I have been seeing from New York from afar, I’m thinking we’ll hopefully head steady as the final playoff seed.

Randoms and HHH really are a huge surprise, especially being number one and two in the league in points. Hopefully it continues for them as they put in a lot of work on and off the ice in the league.

Def disappointed to see Guy ask to leave. I felt that he was frustrated but I didn't realize to what extent. I wish we talked it out. I feel like we could have stayed a family. 

Good to have you, Kevin. You're a key piece of our defensive core. I'm looking forward to fighting on the ice with you. 

Keep the hustle and love the struggle. Push each other to be the best as we grow in this league. 

I def love playing with with such a stunning young talent. I feel like he's the future of the VHL. 

Keep pushing forward. Making the playoffs would be a sweet after the rough stretch we had this season. 

Jet Jaguar gunning for that number one spot. Get it, Gorlab.

Edited by chillzone

It's always sad to see someone go, especially who was a top contributer. I hope that we're able to keep the activity up, because LeGrande brought a lot of it.

I'm excited for what Low brings. As one of his potential linemate partners, I feel like we complement each other well - a scorer is perfect to put next to me as a passer.

Things tend to even out over time, and while I was sad at the early part of the season, I still felt like we had potential. I still think we do, just need to keep games close and pick up a spare point or two where we're not expected.

There's a reason I was extraordinarily pumped with Jensen in the draft. He's absolutely part of our key core moving forward, and could very well be a top scorer in this league sooner rather than later.

Honestly, fourth and sneaking into the playoffs is what I expected from this season already. So I'll say we'll hold.

It's not really a surprise because he's awesome, but I'm pleasantly pleased that Elmebeck is top 10 in defenseman scoring. He's put in the work, and frankly has carried the defensive core this year.

Its a good move to build for our future but Guy was one of the best dmen in the VHL.  He'll be missed both on and off the ice.

I dont know too much about the guy but hopefully he can fill in for Guy.

I knew this was coming.  Just keep going with what we're doing and we'll see success.

He joins a tradition of strong rookies like myself and Flowers on NYA. Happy to see him doing well.

Move up of course.  Nowhere to go but up after the brutal stretch we had.

Havent really looked but I'm disappointed I'm not up there.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, ColeMrtz said:

I'm writing pressers again

For the week of the 15th:

1. It changes things for sure. Makes the future a little more uncertain. Right now it's making us play with a little chip on our shoulder, so gotta keep that up

2. Esso pitched it best. He's reliable and still talented. Good guy to have

3. Just keep the focus. Its DC and Calgary. Just focus on being better than them and not getting too caught up with everything else.

4. Him and yamazuki have been welcome adds. I like our entire team and how or as built.

5. Let's hope to stay put. I think it'll be a close battle to the end though.

6. All good players. Perhaps seeing randoms doing SO well is a surprise, but he's certainly good enoigh.

Always tough to see a player leave but happy to welcome Smarch to the team! He is a good veteran member.

Hopefully he can slide right in and make a strong impact right away! If he keeps growing as a player the sky is the limit. 

We just need to keep working on our own game and the wins will come. We have a good group and I am confident the team will make it into the post-season!

Edited by Velevra

We've played really well since the deal. I always figured we just needed to keep plugging away, sucks to see that LeGrande wasn't here when we righted the ship but I'm happy to have Low as well.

Low is a talented player and gives us a solid option on the back end.

As I said before, I knew we needed to just keep plugging and eventually we'd start playing as well as we were expecting to. It's good to see it finally happening.

Soren's a great player and a key component to our future. It's good to see him get off to a strong start.

We've since passed up Toronto, Vancouver and Seattle are gonna be tough to catch but I can see us maintaining our position.

It's a bit surprising to see a couple defensemen in there, and of course HHH who I guess finally got into the roids.

Quick presser!

1. We're looking pretty secure for a playoff spot now after a shaky start to the season, and currently it looks like the first round may be against Seattle. What do you think of our chances, and is that the opponent you are hoping for?
2. Do you like the VHL's 12 days of Christmas? Do you think you'll post in every daily thread?
3. Who's the MVP of VHL so far into the season? And on New York?
Is your town/shops/malls/streets also in full Christmas attire now?! And have you started worry about buying gifts, planning trips or hosting meals?
5. Any hobbies you will have time spending a little bit time on between Christmas and New Year's? 
6. Star Wars premiering on the 18th, your thoughts and expectations? Will you go watch it with the team?

2 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

Quick presser!

1. We're looking pretty secure for a playoff spot now after a shaky start to the season, and currently it looks like the first round may be against Seattle. What do you think of our chances, and is that the opponent you are hoping for?
2. Do you like the VHL's 12 days of Christmas? Do you think you'll post in every daily thread?
Is your town/shops/malls/streets also in full Christmas attire now?! And have you started worry about buying gifts, planning trips or hosting meals?
5. Any hobbies you will have time spending a little bit time on between Christmas and New Year's? 
6. Star Wars premiering on the 18th, your thoughts and expectations? Will you go watch it with the team?

1. 100%. Down for any challenge.

2. Dig it. Makes me feel like a kid again. 

3. A Red Guy. He’s killing it. 

4. Hosting and toasting!

5. Def feel like doing some dancing.

6. I’m not crazy about Star Wars - I slept through the last two film when I saw em in theaters. If I see a movie it’s prob the Adam Sandler thriller “Uncut Gems” 

I think our chances are good.  We might not be contenders but we'll scare some teams for sure.

Of course.  Can't say no to free TPE.

Randoms for the VHL.  A Red Guy for us.  A stud goalie gets us far in the playoffs and I have confidence he'll do so.

4. Is your town/shops/malls/streets also in full Christmas attire now?! And have you started worry about buying gifts, planning trips or hosting meals?

I don't buy gifts, gifts buy me.

Probably drinking and experimenting with some uh...fun stuff?

Pssh watch it in theatres?  I'm gonna be watching it on somebody's twitch stream who is streaming through their camera phone while sitting in the back row at the theatre.

4 hours ago, Elmebeck said:

Quick presser!

1. That would be the fun one. I feel like we've matched up well against them the past two seasons, so I like our chances

2. No, I'm a Grinch who hates free giveaways ;)

3. ARG and Boris deserve co-honours for NY to me. HHH for league mvp

4. Gifts for the wife are done. Hosting for the first time so should be a stressful weekend

5. Drinking is a hobby, right?

6. Probably won't catch it in theatres. Maybe if its getting really good reviews

I'm answering this on my phone from a Vermont airport. I'm committed,  dammit.

1. We're looking pretty secure for a playoff spot now after a shaky start to the season, and currently it looks like the first round may be against Seattle. What do you think of our chances, and is that the opponent you are hoping for?

Just getting to the playoffs was my goal, so anything else is gravy. With that said, we've been playing solid recently. I don't think seven games is out of the question.

2. Do you like the VHL's 12 days of Christmas? Do you think you'll post in every daily thread?

I'm five for five so far, plan to do everything I can. I want the big prize, but too bad I'm unlucky.

I've had Randoms for three straight seasons in fantasy, it's nice to see him finally with a big breakout. And for New York, I don't know where we'd be without Red Guy's leap.

4. Is your town/shops/malls/streets also in full Christmas attire now?! And have you started worry about buying gifts, planning trips or hosting meals?

It's New York, it has to be right? Miracle on 34th Street and all that. Which is a good thing that Christmas spirit and gifts are everywhere, because I haven't done a single thing of shopping yet.

It's winter, it's snowing, it's the perfect time for a good book. I like getting away from the world a bit, and this is the perfect opportunity. 

6. Star Wars premiering on the 18th, your thoughts and expectations? Will you go watch it with the team?

What is this Star Wars you speak of? Star Trek for life baby, go Spock and fuck the haters.

I think things are looking really good for us in staying in the 3rd NA seed. Seattle will be a tough match but I think we have a shot at an upset

Can't complain about extra TPE. I will try my best to get all of it but it is a busy time of year.

I think Kriketers is having an amazing season for Riga and deserves consideration. For New York, I will have to go with Boris the Forest our offensive leader.

Yup luckily I managed to do that earlier in the month. Planning a trip a little closer to Christmas. 

Not too much time for hobbies this year unfortunately. Just a quick vacation and back to work.

I will probably end up watching it with the team but I don't have huge expectations for it.

I'm actually writing pressers again

For the week of the 29th:

1. Through 72 games we've seen some highs and some Lows (hehe), but through it all what's everyone's favorite memory from this season?

2. We finished 7th overall in the league, coming ahead of both Toronto and Calgary, while nearly taking 6th place from Malmo in the process. Is this better or worse than you would have predicted before the season started?

3. Going back to the highs and lows, which was more surprising? Our race to the bottom of the standings or our unbelievable redemption run to get us where we stand now?

4. Looking forward we are set to face Seattle in the first round, how do we feel about this matchup?

5. Looking into the storylines, Guy LeGrande, former Americans defenseman will be coming home to face us in this first round matchup, what impact does this have on the coming series for you?

6. Rookies Soren Jensen and Ryo Yamazuki II make up 2 of the top 3 rookies in terms of points, with Jensen looking to take home ROTY. How do you expect next seasons rookies (David O'Quinn, Jaxon Walker and Danny DeYeeto) to preform?

1. Through 72 games we've seen some highs and some Lows (hehe), but through it all what's everyone's favorite memory from this season?

I can't really point to one moment, but I love that we kept fighting and got things going after an incredibly tough start.

2. We finished 7th overall in the league, coming ahead of both Toronto and Calgary, while nearly taking 6th place from Malmo in the process. Is this better or worse than you would have predicted before the season started?

I'd say it's about in-line with what I figured we'd do. Would have been cool if we didn't constantly shit the bed early in the year, our record would look better, but we are where we are.

3. Going back to the highs and lows, which was more surprising? Our race to the bottom of the standings or our unbelievable redemption run to get us where we stand now?

Definitely our race to the bottom. I said multiple times that the team was severely underperforming and had to level out eventually, and I'm glad to see that that happened.

4. Looking forward we are set to face Seattle in the first round, how do we feel about this matchup?

Facing last year's cup champions isn't going to be easy, but it'll be a great learning experience at worst and a big statement for us at best.

5. Looking into the storylines, Guy LeGrande, former Americans defenseman will be coming home to face us in this first round matchup, what impact does this have on the coming series for you?

It isn't gonna be easy to go against Guy, he's a great player and a good friend. If we do lose it gives me someone to root for though.

6. Rookies Soren Jensen and Ryo Yamazuki II make up 2 of the top 3 rookies in terms of points, with Jensen looking to take home ROTY. How do you expect next seasons rookies (David O'Quinn, Jaxon Walker and Danny DeYeeto) to preform?

I'm excited to see these guys come up. O'Quinn has gotten great experience on a dominant Saskatoon team and should hit the ground running. Walker has had a great season for Mexico City as well, and gives us another nice option in our forward group.

1) Probably that first game after the trade for Low facing Seattle. Was nice to win that won and really started a string of good games to get us ahead of Toronto

2) Better, but not completely unexpected either. Knew it would be fairly tight between us, Toronto, and Calgary so just glad not to be the odd team out

3) I think the fall at the start was more surprising. Just. Couldn't. Win. A. Game

4) Feeling good to have made it. Playoffs are a whole other animal and they are the reigning champs, so need to play even better.

5) May the best team win. Would be awesome if it were us, but would also be cool if Guy gets on a deep run too.

6) No idea. I'm expecting big things of our team as a whole though with 6 S68 guys entering the last year of their rookie deal.

I don't remember the exact run, but winning something like 9 out of 10 games, including wins over Vancouver and Seattle, was certainly a confidence builder. It obviously took us from out of the playoffs to in, but let us think we might be able to do something too.

Maybe a little bit better, honestly. I was expecting the final seed in North America, so to take the third and almost beat Malmo is spectacular for this young team.

The race to the bottom was more surprising to me, but we simply needed to get our footing. Now we're here, and it's great.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like we're the favorites or anything. But I also wouldn't count us out - we've taken games off of Seattle in the regular season, and I definitely think we can make this a series.

You know our guys are going to come out fired up. It also means Low facing his old team, and similar to that first game after the trade, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out on fire.

I expect a lot, since all of those players are talented. But with that said, our talent as a whole is getting better as well, and they won't necessarily be able to crack top line minutes like Jensen was. It's a good problem to have, honestly.

I love how New York kept believing in each other and fought our way to a strong finish after a rough start. We're like the Mighty Ducks, and Esso is our Estevez. I think our win streak shocked the league a bit. 

We're exactly where I hoped to be - a playoff spot, with the potential to upset anyone. 

The redemption run, after the fall. 

Let's get it!

I like Guy, but this is playoffs. We're coming for him. 

I'm excited to see the rookies come in and do their thing. This is their team too. Make it their own.

Crushing everybody in the second half of the season and making the playoffs just like everybody thought we wouldn't.

Worse.  I expected us to be top five.  I have never doubted us at all.

The fact that we needed an unbelievable redemption run was most surprising.  We should never have been that low in the standings in the first place.

All good, no worries.  They're just our first obstacle in our long playoff run.

None at all.  Just another guy for me to blow by and score on :)

Hopefully they can continue on the strong tradition of rookies at NYA, with Flowers and myself last year and Jensen and Yamazuki this year.

There were so many highs and lows, how could anyone pick a favorite.

I think it better than expected at the start of the season.

Remarkable turnaround after trading LeGrande, coincidence? 

Going to be a good series. 

LeGrande was a pain in the ass and should have no impact on this series.

I see a bright future for that trio of rookies.

What’s up fellas

1. Tomorrow we play an elimination game against Seattle, with Seattle being on the ropes. What’s the game plan?

2. Any predictions for tomorrow?

3. What’s everyone’s pregame rituals during the playoffs?

4. Who’s been the more dangerous Esso, Keven Foreskin or Joel Ylonen?

5. @Banackock has been seen rioting in the streets of Seattle after the latest loss to the Americans. Does this affect your psyche at all?

6. Looking to next season, is there anyone in the current draft class you’d like to see in the red white and blue?

7. Who has grown the best playoff beard so far?

8. Has anyone in particular been a standout these playoffs, either for us or for another team?

9. How do you think as a team we can improve for next season?

10. How do you feel about the current playoff format?

1. Tomorrow we play an eimination game against Seattle, with Seattle being on the ropes. What’s the game plan?

Come out guns blazing, the NYA way.  Aggressive attacking and offense should put them on their heels right away.

We win. Plain and simple.

5. @Banackock has been seen rioting in the streets of Seattle after the latest loss to the Americans. Does this affect your psyche at all?

Not at all.  He's probably just practicing for tomorrow night

Probably @Elmebeck.  Must be the Scandinavian blood.

More balanced scoring taking the load off of our top players.  Also some better shut down defense at the end of games.

It's fine.  No matter the format, we still have to fight our way to the championship.

9 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

What’s up fellas

1. Tomorrow we play an elimination game against Seattle, with Seattle being on the ropes. What’s the game plan?

3. What’s everyone’s pregame rituals during the playoffs?

4. Who’s been the more dangerous Esso, Keven Foreskin or Joel Ylonen?

5. @Banackock has been seen rioting in the streets of Seattle after the latest loss to the Americans. Does this affect your psyche at all?

6. Looking to next season, is there anyone in the current draft class you’d like to see in the red white and blue?

8. Has anyone in particular been a standout these playoffs, either for us or for another team?

1) Use home ice to our advantage. Come out strong early and be a little physical out there. Want to control the game as much as possible

2) The gut feeling has this going 7, but we have our two chances starting now. I would love to wrap it up right away.

4) Ylonen delivered the 3OT heartbreaker but Foreskin has been a lot more consistent for us. I choose Foreskin

5) I'm sure his nerves bleed into the locker room a little bit. That's an advantage we can use.

8 ) Loving the 2nd line play. Ryo, Foreskin and I have a lot of chemistry and playing great

9) Keep as much of the core together as we can and keep the growth up. Add one stud free agent (probably at D or winger) and keep on rolling