Double Press Conference: Ottawa Lynx GM, and Evan R. Lawson player.

diamond_ace

@diamond_ace

After going 3rd overall to Calgary, what can Wrangler fans expect to get from Evan Lawson?

What are your thoughts on the recent moves made by the Wranglers, as they continue to try and rebuild their status in the VHL?

How excited are you to manage the Lynx, with one of the strongest draft classes in years taking shape, ahead of the S60 Deaft?

Edited by Quik

15 hours ago, Quik said:

@diamond_ace

After going 3rd overall to Calgary, what can Wrangler fans expect to get from Evan Lawson?

What are your thoughts on the recent moves made by the Wranglers, as they continue to try and rebuild their status in the VHL?

How excited are you to manage the Lynx, with one of the strongest draft classes in years taking shape, ahead of the S60 Deaft?

Well I plan on adding in an update later today, I have a bunch of TPE I haven't yet put in. Long term, I'd say this is the first time I've had a player where I'm actually trying to go scoring. I've always filled a niche of some sort - passing/defensive center, defensive d, goalie. A scorer is the one thing I haven't done, and that's what I'm trying to get Lawson to do.

I like the moves, I was admittedly looking forward to playing with your guy eventually but that's a pretty hefty return nonetheless.

Definitely looking forward to it. I'm kind of in the same spot I was when I first started here - drafted to Calgary early and in the same offseason taking over Ottawa in the VHLM. If I can do with Ottawa now what I did with Ottawa then (of course with the primary goal of promoting the activity of my team) then it'll be an interesting few seasons ahead.

1. What are your priorities as a VHLM GM? How will that translate to Ottawa's success or failure?

2. What style of hockey will the Lynx play under your direction?

3. What are your predictions for order of finish in the VHLM this season?

@diamond_ace tacking on two more to this because I didn't realize it was 5 questions, not 3.

4. Now that we've seen a few games.. Are you at all concerned about the Lynx's start?

5. Which of the triplets is the cutest?

Edited by MWHazard

3 hours ago, MWHazard said:

1. What are your priorities as a VHLM GM? How will that translate to Ottawa's success or failure?

Priorities are as always, to develop new players and get them ready for the VHL. The league sustains itself by people creating, enjoying their time here, and developing into successful VHLers. Of course, it's also always a goal to win the Founders' Cup as well, any team that tells you that's not a big part of it is lying.

This season I'd like to think we'll be pretty offensive, just because it aligns with the roster we have.

I'll go Saskatoon, Vegas, Ottawa, Oslo, Yukon.

Saskatoon picked up a lot of the active guys in the draft (as well as being the beneficiary of a loophole) and it seems as though more people have joined them post draft. Their weakness, if anything, is too many actives and running into chemistry problems.

Vegas was fairly successful last year and they didn't lose as much of the team to the VHL, although Vegas along with Ottawa might have a hard time fielding a defense.

Ottawa, the defending cup winners, lost most of the team to the VHL, but should rebound nicely with the Vilhjalmsson brothers and Ambrose Charizard up top, as well as Asipi Jr in goal. Oslo should have a strong start on the backs of a lot of inactive guys, but once the actives elsewhere catch up, they ought to fall back.

Yukon are a selling team.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, MWHazard said:

@diamond_ace tacking on two more to this because I didn't realize it was 5 questions, not 3.

4. Now that we've seen a few games.. Are you at all concerned about the Lynx's start?

5. Which of the triplets is the cutest?

4. Not really, the beginning of any VHLM season is weird with getting the client file right and getting the lines right. VHL has a preseason to sort these things out, VHLM doesn't so you end up having to sort things out on the fly, it's a balancing act between the GM, the simmer, and the commishes. We're not doing so well right now, because OTT bots are in the lines, because the client file wasn't updated last I checked.

The other nice part about the VHLM is all the teams make the playoffs - so even if we start slow (because we're relying on active guys who are at this point not very developed) if our activity passes some teams by the time playoffs start, we could easily get a result more applicable to where we are at that time.

5. I mean, I've known Shaka longer than the two of you :P

Edited by diamond_ace

• 6 months later...

Hey lets give you some Q's some we are currently in a decent debate in BoG.

1. You mentioned you may be interested in making a career VHLM lifer. (I know so on topic right? :P) I'm just curious if you could lay out the reasons for your decision to do this, and in lieu of things like VHLM records and the like, is that something your actively looking for?

2. Describe your affinity for defensive first players?

3. What are some of your all time fav VHL memories?

4. Do you feel the awards voting has improved since moving to a committee? 

5. If you could join PajodMedia for a game playthrough or alternatively have PajodMedia play through a game of your choosing, what would it be?