Oyorra Arroyo Press Conference

omgitshim

Yukon Rush Questions

1. What do you hope to accomplish this year with the Rush?

I wish to become more better at the ice hockey. It is different than playing on the street game, there's more rules to it all. I still not used to playing on big team and change players so much. I want to get better at the game and learn to become a good teammate. And also better my English.

2. Who would scouts compare you to in another hockey league?

I don't know much of other hockey leagues, but my agent keeps saying the name Jeff Skinner. Says he was small lefty like me who is good at shooting the puck. Randy also say he was best rookie in the whole National Hockey League at one time. To be compared to someone who was the best at anything is a big honor and I hope I cannot let that down.

3. Out of the 8 VHL teams, who would you like to be drafted by if you haven't been draft yet?

What is "drafted"? Dotorg explains the VHL draft to Arroyo. What interesting concept. Seems strange no that you would just get taken far away like that. But as to the question, I have not look at the teams much, so I cannot say where I want to go. If they put team in Puerto Rico I go there now, or anywhere near Latin America would be good too. When I was back home, I always hear tourists talk a lot about New York, so maybe it would be a good place to see.

@omgitshim

You've had a solid start, going nearly a point per game on a second place team. Do you expect to maintain this pace the rest of the season, or is it just a hot streak that might slow down as the season progresses?

5 hours ago, Quik said:

@omgitshim

You've had a solid start, going nearly a point per game on a second place team. Do you expect to maintain this pace the rest of the season, or is it just a hot streak that might slow down as the season progresses?

You know, I think this is just the start of something big. Everyone think I was one dimensional player, only good shooter, but I show them. I can hit those passing lanes and setup the big shots for the rest of the team. When they start cheating that, I will be able to make the move and hit big shots of my own. So yes, I expect to maintain and improve on this pace.

Yukon Rush Questions

16 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

1.What do you think needs the most improvement on in your game?
2. Do you think.you'll be top three in scoring this year on your team?

3. If you were to compare yourself to an NHL player, whom would it be?

4. Do you think you can make the top ten in this years scouting report?

5. What do you consider your biggest asset is thus far in your playing?

1. Everything. You can never be great if you stop working on your passion. I have made big plays already but players in the VHL are bigger, better, faster, stronger. If there be anything that need the most work, it is dealing with the hits. I'm not that strong and not so big so they hurt. I will get better at avoiding them.

2. The whole team is good and motivated to win. It doesn't matter who score the most, we all just want to be the best team by the year's end. My agent say I am third on team in scoring per 20 minutes so it is possible, but as long as we win I'll be happy.

3. I just started watching NHL recently and I like Johnny Gaudreau. He small guy like me and can make the shots when he needs to, but he also know when to pass and how to set up other people to be success. He won Lady Byng trophy last year, and I want to be the guy where people look at me and say "he respect the game and is a good person".

4. I want to be the best, and top ten is the first step there. I do not know much about this scouting report but I know that if it means I doing good things, I will be there.

5. Vision and instincts. Everyone think I always shoot, but I see my teammates and know when they can make it too. Even in street hockey, knowing when to pass is good quality, and that game sense has adapted good to the ice. I hope to continue show my complete game in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Hows it feel to be a part of the Rush this season?

2. What do you think of our recent acquisitions?

3. Plans for next season in the vhlm/vhl? What attributes are you going to work on?

4. How do you feel about Yukons chances heading into the playoffs?

5. How would you describe Arroyos game?

21 hours ago, HellBillyXIII said:

1. Hows it feel to be a part of the Rush this season?

It feels great man. We are winning a lot and everybody works together good. We don't have any bad apples, everyone comes together to put our best game on the ice.

2. What do you think of our recent acquisitions?

I'm excited. Veran is one of the best players in the league and I hope to learn much from him. Josh works very hard, he can pick up the slack from the few players who don't always want to get better.

3. Plans for next season in the vhlm/vhl? What attributes are you going to work on?

I'm going to keep working on my game and keep getting better until I can't get any better. Scoring will always be my top priority, but I will also make sure to improve my puck handling, skating, defense, and passing.

4. How do you feel about Yukons chances heading into the playoffs?

We're the best right now and we'll be the best then. The Storm have always played us well and the Aces also made a big trade, but we're the team to beat and I don't see that happening.

5. How would you describe Arroyos game?

I'm like a utility pocket knife. I'm a knife first, so scoring will be my top priority, but I can do so many other things too. I can pass, I can evade defenders, I can even put on a hit if I need to. Whatever the team needs, I can do it. Except play goalie I can't do that.

Yukon Rush Questions

5. What type of player should we expect to see from you this season, and moving forward in your VHL career?

I want to become the type of player that other teams will look at and think "this is the guy we need to shut down." A complete offensive nightmare for opponents that most teams will not be able to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

1. You are currently set to finish as the 3rd highest scoring forward on the Rush with 56 points currently. Are you satisfied with your point production this season?

2. Has Yukon's win streak been lucky or will no other team take a game off the Rush for the rest of the season/playoffs? 

3. Who will be the Unsung Hero of Yukon's playoff run?

On 3/27/2018 at 11:57 PM, Velevra said:

1. You are currently set to finish as the 3rd highest scoring forward on the Rush with 56 points currently. Are you satisfied with your point production this season?

2. Has Yukon's win streak been lucky or will no other team take a game off the Rush for the rest of the season/playoffs? 

3. Who will be the Unsung Hero of Yukon's playoff run?

1.) I was hoping to get to 72 to maintain the point per game mark, but I'm not too far off. Winning is more important than individual stats.

2.) I think any time you win 34 in a row, there's a bit of luck involved, but I don't think we will take another loss this season.

3.) A lot of focus is often brought to our scoring and the skaters on the ice, but our backbone is our goalie Tristan Iseult, and we wouldn't be where we are without him. I'd also keep an eye on Billy Pilgrim. He gets overlooked a bit with the other stars on the team, but make no mistake he's a star in his own right too.

• 2 weeks later...

@omgitshim

1. With Calgary looking to be a competitive team, should Saskatoon worry that you might be called up?

2. How do you you feel about being picked second overall, with the first overall being another player of the same position?

3. Are you aware that Fabio Jokinen, whom you predicted to win Top Defensive Defenseman, is retired?

4. Have you been in the VHL before, and do you think I would know who you are?

5. Are you looking to be more of a leader on the ice for Saskatoon than you were for Yukon last season?

6. Would winning a second Founder's Cup mean anything to you?

3 hours ago, street said:

1. With Calgary looking to be a competitive team, should Saskatoon worry that you might be called up?

I've already been called up so their worries were well-founded. 

2. How do you you feel about being picked second overall, with the first overall being another player of the same position?

I wasn't expecting it honestly, I figured I'd go 4th. I knew both Quebec City and Calgary were interested so I figured I'd end up in Calgary after the trade but I was surprised I went 2nd.

3. Are you aware that Fabio Jokinen, whom you predicted to win Top Defensive Defenseman, is retired?

I believe that all the candidates this season will be so bad they'll just give it to him again as a plea to come back.

4. Have you been in the VHL before, and do you think I would know who you are?

This is my first time in the VHL. I was in a few other sim leagues years ago (MFSL, MFA, RSFL, a couple of baseball ones I don't remember the names of) so if you've been around other leagues for awhile maybe.

5. Are you looking to be more of a leader on the ice for Saskatoon than you were for Yukon last season?

I was, and I think we were off to a good start in the few preseason games I played in.

6. Would winning a second Founder's Cup mean anything to you?

It would have been a cool thing winning it with multiple teams, and I'm still going to claim credit if they manage to bring it home this season.

5 minutes ago, omgitshim said:

This is my first time in the VHL. I was in a few other sim leagues years ago (MFSL, MFA, RSFL, a couple of baseball ones I don't remember the names of) so if you've been around other leagues for awhile maybe.

Have you used the same username? I feel like I recognize the name DeAnderson Sabathia, but I couldn't quite figure out who it was, and the username omgitshim doesn't sound super familiar (though it's starting to a bit more). I was in MFA and at least one iteration of MFSL, so I'm sure we've been in a league or or two.

I think I used omgitshim in MFA but I don't remember what what I used before (maybe Golden Wizard? Something like that?). I had the 400 lb MVP RB Pikachu Jones in MFSL. Might have contributed to why there are weight limits in football sim leagues now lol.

Edited by omgitshim

1. How do you feel the young start to your rookie campaign is going?

2. How do you feel Calgary as a team is so far and what do you think the shot is of the playoffs?

3. Any players you hate playing against yet?

22 hours ago, Bushito said:

1. How do you feel the young start to your rookie campaign is going?

It could be better, I'm shooting horribly and I should clearly never be near a face off, but I am scoring a few points and somehow have a positive +/-. I'd like to see my hard work in practice start to amount to something though.

2. How do you feel Calgary as a team is so far and what do you think the shot is of the playoffs?

It's been a disappointing start so far for sure. We've got a lot of young guys so we could make some noise later on but we're probably a year or two away from being a real contender. 

3. Any players you hate playing against yet?

Verner Reinholdt is a washed up old fogey who's scared he might get outplayed by a rookie.

1. How would you describe your short tenure in the VHLM and with the Rush?

2. Biggest difference you notice now that your playing in the VHL.

3. Do you see Calgary being a player in the playoffs this season? If so where is the ceiling for the young club?

On 4/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, Smarch said:

1. How would you describe your short tenure in the VHLM and with the Rush?

It was amazing. I learned quite a bit in my short time there and of course winning the cup is always great.

2. Biggest difference you notice now that your playing in the VHL.

The smaller rosters and increased level of competition has made things interesting. I can feel the difference in the two leagues and I'm excited to get more up to par with the top of the line players. I've also noticed how poor the updaters are in the VHL.

3. Do you see Calgary being a player in the playoffs this season? If so where is the ceiling for the young club?

I was more optimistic at the start of the season but we've had quite the rough start. There definitely seems to be a divide between the top 4 and the bottom 4, but that means that the 5th wild card spot is up for grabs. I think once we get our updates in we can make a push for the spot, and once you're in, anything can happen. It's tough though seeing anyone but the Americans win it all though unless something drastic happens.

1. Is Arroyo ready for when Jóhannes is up there? It's gonna be electric.

2. What can you do between now and the end of the season to improve as a player?

3. Does Arroyo need to get stronger? You're a finesse player, but also getting pushed around a bit.

4. You got tagged in your fight. What's a 5'11", 177lb guy doing fighting? ;)

5. What's a good point goal for you for the rest of this season? You've got 12 in 18 thus far.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:50 PM, MWHazard said:

1. Is Arroyo ready for when Jóhannes is up there? It's gonna be electric.

We need you ASAP lol.

2. What can you do between now and the end of the season to improve as a player?

With how infrequently updates ever get pushed into the sim, I'm not sure there's anything I can do. Ideally though I'm hoping to bump my shooting percentage into the 12+% range.

3. Does Arroyo need to get stronger? You're a finesse player, but also getting pushed around a bit.

It's on the todo list but with all the time spent practicing on the ice it's hard to find time to hit the gym.

4. You got tagged in your fight. What's a 5'11", 177lb guy doing fighting? ;)

Old punk was jealous the young gun was threatening to steal his fans so he hit me with a cheap shot.

5. What's a good point goal for you for the rest of this season? You've got 12 in 18 thus far.

72 is still what I'm shooting for, though probably a long shot with how this season has gone. 50 is the more realistic goal.

• 2 weeks later...

1. How are you enjoying your first season in the VHL?

2. Think you can catch Dragomir in the rookie scoring race now that Quebec has sold off some key players?

3. What are your opinions on Jasper Canmore's play this season?

4. Calgary's on a 9-game winning streak, can you guys stay hot and hold onto a playoff spot?

5. What's been the biggest challenge making the jump to the VHL?

6. Who on the team has the oddest pre-game routine?

Edited by Quik

6 hours ago, Quik said:

1. How are you enjoying your first season in the VHL?

There were some rough patches early on but now that we're really into the groove of things I'm liking it a lot.

6 hours ago, Quik said:

2. Think you can catch Dragomir in the rookie scoring race now that Quebec has sold off some key players?

It's his award to lose at this point. I think I got a long shot for it especially if we keep going up the standings but even getting into the conversation would be a good win in my book.

6 hours ago, Quik said:

3. What are your opinions on Jasper Canmore's play this season?

He's been our leader this season and a big reason for our success. He's got the most game winning goals and wins more than half of his face offs. It would be nice to see him shoot a higher percentage but that's more an artifact of him taking the most shots.

6 hours ago, Quik said:

4. Calgary's on a 9-game winning streak, can you guys stay hot and hold onto a playoff spot?

We're up to 11 now and I'm confident we'll be in the playoffs this season. The Titans in Helsinki will be a tough challenge for our streak, but we've beat them before and we can beat them again.

6 hours ago, Quik said:

5. What's been the biggest challenge making the jump to the VHL?

Getting used to the speed of the game and all the talent around you. You're going against grown men who have been doing this for years and it's a lot harder to have your way with them. They don't fall for those cutesy tricks anymore, you gotta play fundamental hockey. And there are no free games. Joke all you want about Toronto, but if you underestimate them too much, they can bite back.

6 hours ago, Quik said:

6. Who on the team has the oddest pre-game routine?

Boner. Let's just say he lives up to his name...