Oyorra Arroyo Press Conference

omgitshim

1. Palindrome day was on Oct 10, due to the date being 8/10/18, forming the palindrime 81018. Did you do anything to celebrate because your full name is a palindrome?

2. Any advice for Rookies?

3. Who out of all the new rookies do you think is the most promising?

4. What tip do you have for people who want to be goal scorers? (Like me?)

5. What non-NHL league is the most exciting in your opinion?

On 10/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, SlapshotDragon said:

1. Palindrome day was on Oct 10, due to the date being 8/10/18, forming the palindrime 81018. Did you do anything to celebrate because your full name is a palindrome?

I live in backwards land where we put the month first so this was over 2 months ago for me (I think you meant Oct. 8th anyway). So no I didn't do anything special (or if I did back in August I have forgotten by now.

2. Any advice for Rookies?

Keep updating and don't get discouraged if you don't perform great the first season or two. While we had a couple of rookies go crazy last season, it usually takes a season or two to really get your legs under you. Veterans will have 3-4x your TPE, so you generally won't be an MVP candidate out the box, but if you keep at it, you'll close that gap and be competitive. I didn't even feel like I was really a notable player until my 3rd season and now going into my 4th people are drafting me for VHFL.

3. Who out of all the new rookies do you think is the most promising?

Ryan Kastelic has the most TPE out of the bunch, so he's probably the most promising on a technical standpoint, but I gotta rep out for my new teammates. Oleksiy Revchenko @AndrewWarren13 seems to be ahead of the pack TPE-wise, but Cayden Saint @Symmetrik, Karl von Moltke @alecbama, and Lando Baxter @Elhandon are all part of the Wranglers' future, and it's my duty to make sure they grow into the players I know they can be and keep the Calgary Cup Caravan rolling for seasons to come! 

4. What tip do you have for people who want to be goal scorers? (Like me?)

I think the new trend is to ignore Passing and dump everything into Scoring and Skating. I'm not sure how wise that is. I will say that Defense and (possibly to a lesser extent but I'm going all in on it for science) Puck Handling are a lot more important than you think they are. Strength probably isn't that important tbh, unless you're a Center then you'd might want it some for face-offs.

5. What non-NHL league is the most exciting in your opinion?

Well I have to plug the EFL since I'm a blue over there and football sims are really what got me into sim leagues in the first place. I've also been semi-active at the SBA and was excited that I got drafted into a championship quality team, but then a trade happened that created a super team and my interest dropped quite a bit (they revised contract rules after the fact to curb that going forward but it was deflating at the time).

Oct. 22-28

These 5 questions plus question #5 here for 6 total answers.

Edited by omgitshim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@omgitshim

On 12/3/2018 at 4:53 PM, Banackock said:

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

Trump brings a hefty megaphone while Trudeau has a stack of waffles and maple syrup. As Trudeau throws syrup laden waffles at Trump, Trump responses by shouting things like "fake news" and "you call this syrup?! Ant Jahmeemee would be rolling in her grave!" Eventually some of the syrup gets into Trumps eye and while he flinches, he slips on some waffles and lands dome first into his megaphone. He does not get up.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

A cow? (And later a steak).

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

To watch, I'd probably say American football, with basketball close behind. My favorite teams are the Ravens and the Kings, respectively.

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

I'd marry Blake Lively just because I have nearly the same name and it would fuck with people. I'd fuck Beyonce because if it's good enough for Jay-Z it's good enough for me. I'd kill Margot Robbie because she's the last one left.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

I'd make some kind of shrink ray so I could just shrink down all the merchandise at work, then when it is purchased, you set a timer for it so that it returns to regular size after you get home.

Week Ending 12/9:

Questions Answered 1-3 in this post

5 questions asked

Edited by omgitshim

• 3 weeks later...

1. Are you still glad Calgary was in finals once again last season?

2. Your reactions on your trade?

3. Do you think Toronto can compete this season?

4. Your opinion on their future?

5. Are you mad at Keaton Louth for signing with other team?

6. Can you say that your career is good so far?

7. Are you proud you're one of the best S60 players?

8. How's Toronto GM?

9. How's their LR?

10. Are people pointing out you're coming from the non-hockey country named Puerto Rico?

• 1 month later...

2 weeks worth of questions :D Enjoy Bud!

1. What teammate of yours is the best to follow on Twitter, and why?
  2. What is the most bizarre question you have been asked in a press conference during your career and who asked it?
  3. Who would win an arm wrestling competition on your team?
  4. Who is the biggest practical joker on the team and who gets picked on the most? A story of the best prank pulled would be nice.
  5. What is the craziest thing a puck bunny has ever done for your attention?
  6. What was your first car?
  7. Now that we have played a few games, what do your think our team strengths and weaknesses are ? What are your suggestions?
  8. If your entire team had to do an Ironman Triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run), who would finish first and last respectively?
  9. Would your rather be more talented or have a high "Hockey IQ"
  10. Best hockey player of all time and why?
  11. Best quote from your Twitter feed that you posted after a game.
  12. If you could steal the skills of any active player in the league, from who would you steal?

I missed these so some are dated but here we go!

On 12/23/2018 at 7:19 AM, hedgehog337 said:

1. Are you still glad Calgary was in finals once again last season?

Yes I am, even a Finals loss is better than not getting there!

2. Your reactions on your trade?

I wasn't expecting it but I'm glad that I got a chance to continue playing for a contender.

3. Do you think Toronto can compete this season?

I did when I got traded and it seems like my faith was well placed.

4. Your opinion on their future?

I'm just living in the now. Hopefully we can keep this party going as long as possible!

5. Are you mad at Keaton Louth for signing with other team?

Not at all, it's a player's prerogative to go where they think they will be best. 

6. Can you say that your career is good so far?

I've won a Founder's Cup and a Continental Cup, and I just led the league in goals, so I say I've done pretty well for a 1st gen that had no clue about hockey going in!

1. Your player is pacing pretty well from a HoF perspective, so on that note, anymore goals with Arroyo?

2. What do you think of VHL expansion?

3. What is the likelyhood that you re-create after Arroyo?

4. As a first gen, what are your impressions of the league thus far?

5. You mentioned your not too familiar with hockey, has the VHL changed that or only made it more confusing?

6. Any history or reasoning behind the name Oyorra Arroyo? 

7. Are you proud you're one of the best S60 players?

Yeah, it's always good to be on top, though I think the only others still active from that class are Dragomir and Iseult. It's also telling how much team matters for success. Dragomir has had a significant TPE lead forever, yet he had to suffer Quebec for years.

8. How's Toronto GM?

He's been great so far. 

9. How's their LR?

It can be a bit quiet at times but we've had good times as well.

10. Are people pointing out you're coming from the non-hockey country named Puerto Rico?

Game recognizes game.

23 hours ago, Devise said:

1. Your player is pacing pretty well from a HoF perspective, so on that note, anymore goals with Arroyo?

Winning more cups is the ultimate goal. I think I'd need to get some personal awards if I were to make a HoF push, but the fact that it's a possibility at this point is more than I expected for my first player.

23 hours ago, Devise said:

2. What do you think of VHL expansion?

I think expansion is great for any league that can support it. More spots means more players get a chance to shine. EFL recently expanded and everyone agrees it's a lot better for it.

Thought I would shoot this your way, Since you always see my posts in the CGY LR.

1. How do you feel about the recent VHL trades, especially the ones concerning Moscow,the new expansion team?
  2. Assuming that you training in the off season who are you training with?
  3. What is your Favorite VHL Brand  and why?
  4. Come up with a funny or punny name for a Jolt Juice or Haterade flavor. Would you endorse this flavor? 
  5. Come up with your Own fun VHL Brand and tell me about it.
  6. Are you excited for the World Cup? Do you think you will make the cut?
  7. Who do you think will be joining your team in the draft?
  8. Who do you think is destined to be trade bait next season?
  9. Where will your team finish next Season? Do you think you will contribute to their success of failure?

There you have it !

On 2/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, Devise said:

3. What is the likelyhood that you re-create after Arroyo?

Pretty likely, though I'm not sure what I'll make yet. Part of me wants to go complete opposite and try just a straight goon defender who just loads up on hitting stats but I don't know how viable that actually is.

4. As a first gen, what are your impressions of the league thus far?

I'm liking it so far, probably partially because I've landed on good teams that have been successful. Most of the changes I've seen since I've joined have been good ones and it's always good to have a leadership team willing to make changes when necessary.

5. You mentioned your not too familiar with hockey, has the VHL changed that or only made it more confusing?

I probably know a little more now than I did when I first started but still not much more than the basics.

6. Any history or reasoning behind the name Oyorra Arroyo? 

Not really, I just tried to think of a last name that could be read backwards and still kinda work lol.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:40 PM, BladeMaiden said:

4. Come up with a funny or punny name for a Jolt Juice or Haterade flavor. Would you endorse this flavor? 

Durian-Watersmellon Blast! No because I don't endorse rival brands (and it'd probably smell bad).

1. Are you excited for the World Cup? Do you think you will make the cut?

I'm hopeful we can take the gold this year, as it's the last thing I need to join the Triple Gold Club. 

Just realized I already answered this week so I'll claim these tomorrow...

Edited by omgitshim

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How do you feel about the recent VHL trades, especially the ones concerning Moscow,the new expansion team?

It's always interesting when things get shaken up. Moscow's trades seem mostly trading picks that are unlikely to give much in return for bit players, though if you weren't gonna use them anyway, might as well get something.

1. Assuming that you training in the off season who are you training with?

I've been teammates with Evan Lawson my whole career, so we always find some time to get a bit of training in.

1. Come up with your Own fun VHL Brand and tell me about it.

I actually did a few back when we were first creating brands. Enjoy reading about Ray Zerr Blades, Fit Kat, and VPS here!

1. Who do you think will be joining your team in the draft?

We don't have any draft picks so I'mma guess nobody.

1. Who do you think is destined to be trade bait next season?

Canmore is the obvious answer here since a retiring player on a team unlikely to make the playoffs is usually the prime candidate for trading. As a less obvious answer, I wouldn't be surprised if Helsinki decided they needed another couple pieces and dangled Dan Montgomery or Jesse Wilson around.

1. Where will your team finish next Season? Do you think you will contribute to their success of failure?

We're winning back-to-back cups of course! Realistically, with Ironside and Stopko gone, we're probably competing with New York and Vancouver for a wild card spot. I believe I'll have a lot of pressure to lead this team, but the signing of The Charm is a big help, and Tzuyu is well on his way to dethrone Malenko as top point scoring defender.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, BladeMaiden said:
  1. What teammate of yours is the best to follow on Twitter, and why?

Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette. All the fighting has gotten to his head and the rants he puts out are something special.

1. What is the most bizarre question you have been asked in a press conference during your career and who asked it?

Banackock asked a few weird ones, including "Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh."

1. Who would win an arm wrestling competition on your team?

Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette, and I'm not sure who would actually try to challenge him.

1. Who is the biggest practical joker on the team and who gets picked on the most? A story of the best prank pulled would be nice.

We all tend to joke around on each other, and no one in particular gets picked on more than the others, but the best prank had to have been the day Johannes Vihjalmsson snuck his other identical triplets into the facility. I knew what was going on having played with them all back with Yukon, but it was hilarious watching other players see Johannes in the locker room, then head out on the ice and see Jakub there and doing a double take.

What is the craziest thing a puck bunny has ever done for your attention?

There were a couple back when I was in Calgary that always held up signs in Spanish asking me to do things to them that I should not repeat. 

1. What was your first car?

A chevy malibu.

1. Now that we have played a few games, what do your think our team strengths and weaknesses are ? What are your suggestions?

I'm not sure which team this was supposed to be at the time but I'mma do the Reapers. Your strength is probably Brian Strong, since it's in his name. Your weakness is putting the puck in the net. I would suggest trying to put more pucks into more nets.

1. If your entire team had to do an Ironman Triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run), who would finish first and last respectively?

That's a tough one. I'd think Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette would probably have a good showing despite usually being the slowest. Dude has a neverending drive and could probably go 100% the entire time. Adam Warlock probably would tag up the rear, he can get a bit lazy at times.

1. Would your rather be more talented or have a high "Hockey IQ"

You need a bit of both, but I'd say Hockey IQ. 

1. Best hockey player of all time and why?

Wayne Gretzky because we have the same birthday.

1. Best quote from your Twitter feed that you posted after a game.

¿Quién dejó la morsa en el vestuario?

1. If you could steal the skills of any active player in the league, from who would you steal?

I wouldn't, I don't need their skills to beat them!

1) How do you feel about Yukon's play in the past few games?

2) What do you think your team needs to improve on to climb out of the bottom of the standings?

3) How have you feel you have played in the past few games?

4) Do you feel like you are on pace to meet the goals you set for yourself this season?

5) What team in the VHLM is most exciting to play in your opinion? 

On 3/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, leafssteen said:

1) How do you feel about Yukon's play in the past few games?

Well they're only 1-3 in their last 4 games, but after their early season woes, they definitely seem to be closer to the middle than the bottom overall.

2) What do you think your team needs to improve on to climb out of the bottom of the standings?

Well currently my team is at the top of the standings, so maybe you have me confused with someone else? Honestly the way we're clicking right now I wouldn't touch a thing.

3) How have you feel you have played in the past few games?

I've been playing great the last few games, especially last game where I dropped 4 goals on Calgary.

4) Do you feel like you are on pace to meet the goals you set for yourself this season?

My primary goal was to win another Championship, and I think we have the team that can do that. 

5) What team in the VHLM is most exciting to play in your opinion? 

It's been a few seasons since I was down there, but this season it seems like the Wild is the most exciting to play. High scoring games are always more fun for forwards.

1. What is your Favorite VHL Brand  and why?

It's either Haterade or VIKING. Haterade is probably an overdone and easy pun to make but it's one of those things that always tickles me. VIKING is just straight to the point and their logo is pretty slick as well.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is the biggest difference going from the VHL into a World Cup setting?

2. Best thing about playing in Toronto?

3. If there was one area of your game you could improve on, what would it be?

4. Did you play any other positions before becoming a winger growing up?

5. Best way to unwind after a tough loss?

1. If you could rename the Legion, what would you call it?

2. You have suited up for both Calgary and Toronto, so tell me, which logo do you prefer?

3. Would you rather have to play with wet gear or no cup?

4. What do you think of the nickname, "The Palindrome Paladin"?

5. What gear brand do you use and why?

On 4/3/2019 at 3:20 AM, 11 Eleven said:

2. Best thing about playing in Toronto?

Winning. Being the lead forward is nice too, but winning is the best thing.

4. Did you play any other positions before becoming a winger growing up?

No, I didn't play growing up so when I finally got involved I was a winger all the way.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:20 AM, SlapshotDragon said:

2. You have suited up for both Calgary and Toronto, so tell me, which logo do you prefer?

I think I have to lean towards the Calgary logo.

4. What do you think of the nickname, "The Palindrome Paladin"?

It's clever! Definitely not something I would have thought of but it works.

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

1. Thoughts on your season this year?

It was better than I anticipated for sure. Leading the league in Points and Goals is nice, and making the Finals for the 5th straight season is just unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

3. Who would you rather face - HSK or SEA?

I'd rather face SEA. Victories always feel better when you're going up against the best, and Seattle was the best in the regular season. Plus there's something poetic about going up against the one guy drafted before me in Veran.

1. What is the biggest difference going from the VHL into a World Cup setting?

Knowing that you're representing your country gives the game a whole new meaning.

3. If there was one area of your game you could improve on, what would it be?

There's always something you can do a little bit better. Shooting-wise I led the league for all players who shot at least twice a game, but I'm still only making 1 in 8 shots. Bumping that up to even 1 in 7 would be great in the long-run.

5. Best way to unwind after a tough loss?

Sometimes you just need to find an empty net and just launch pucks into it.

1. If you could rename the Legion, what would you call it?

As weird as it is, I don't think I would. There's only two franchises left who have never changed their identity, and after 65 seasons it's too iconic to change now.

3. Would you rather have to play with wet gear or no cup?

Wet gear. While it's uncomfortable, playing with no cup is a dangerous game.

5. What gear brand do you use and why?

True North because they pay me for it.

On 4/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, Banackock said:

2. Thoughts on the playoffs so far?

The outcome was definitely favorable.

4. Thoughts on VHLM expansion?

I'm always a fan of expansion as it means we're getting more people in the league.

5. Thoughts on the newest VHL team?

It's a pretty sick logo. I'm sure Advantage will get that team into contention sooner than you think.