Career Length?

Will

Career Length  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Senior Admin

Hello VHL, 

As you all know, it's obviously necessary for us to adjust the current cap structure and salary brackets to account for the changes to the TPE cap and increased TPE levels this off-season. In discussing this, the age old topic of career lengths has come up because really there would be no better time to make that change than at time when we're changing the salary brackets anyways. 

However, the BOG has been pretty divided on this issue but luckily I think it's one that is well suited to get public opinion on, after all it is your careers' in question. Keep in mind that there will obviously be other factors changing like the salary brackets, contract structure, etc. So for this poll I'm asking how you would like to see careers go leaving all those other factors aside. 

Currently, you're forced to retire after 8 seasons following your draft year. Some people are fine with this, like me for example for the sole reason that I'm always excited to start a new player by the time my 8 seasons ends. But, some people think its too short and they have good reasons as well. There are a few ideas to consider:

1. Purchasable Extensions in Player Store

Having a career extension purchasable in the store. This will allow you to buy extra years of your career, while overlooking or deciding not to fight off regression as much as you might be able to otherwise. There would be some sacrifice to be made, but the cost of other player store options like depreciation mods would probably be adjusted downward a bit to account for the new options. Also, there would likely be a hard limit between 10 and 12 seasons. 

2. Universal - 10 year careers

The exact same system we use now but instead of auto-retire after 8, it would be after 10 with some adjustments to depreciation.

3. Universal 10 - with the option to buy an additional 2.

A combination of the above two. 

4. Leave it at 8

Please vote and discuss below!

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Green said:

Voted 8, for keeping history and record books intact without having all new records posted with an asterisk.

Yeah, that's something for people to consider as well. 

Just as a note on the records, I'm working on adding career stats/records to the Portal right now and I think they're probably only going to as far back as S35 at the earliest. Partly necessity because I don't think we have the files needed to go back further, but also think it makes sense to finally say bye to all those early records. But I'm curious if people are going to have a problem with that

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, boubabi said:

The old boys club will probably

I don't think so honestly, even sterling said he would probably prefer a longer career length so can't see him caring about chopping the records in half

Just now, Will said:

I don't think so honestly, even sterling said he would probably prefer a longer career length so can't see him caring about chopping the records in half

Can't we just throw the old records into a "vault" and start from scratch S60+ with a new records books seeing as records are the biggest concerns right now for people? 

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, Banackock said:

Can't we just throw the old records into a "vault" and start from scratch S60+ with a new records books seeing as records are the biggest concerns right now for people? 

If that's the way people wanted to go there's nothing stopping us. Personally, if careers stayed at 8 I think it makes sense to chop them off at a point like S35 rather than starting from scratch. At least then the records are only from the seasons played on this forum (plus like I said, it might be difficult for me to add pre-35 to the portal). 

If career length goes up, I'd be in favor of cutting off everything before players that are currently active in the league. So instead of starting from scratch, all current players and their career stats would be the start of the new records.

Part of this would include sealing the old records and starting “fresh” going forward. 

Also, there would likely be changes to salary scales and the cap that allow people to earn more in order to afford purchases such as career extensions, regression fighters, or even player equipment that lasts one season.

There’s also things like team facilities being talked about that would allow teams to give their players more help for single seasons. 

I don't know if this discussion can be had without full information being available, but that’s basically the starting point. A lot of moving parts are being discussed, and they all kind of hinge on each other, but I guess finding out how much appetite there is for people to purchase extra seasons doesn’t hurt. 

45 minutes ago, HellBillyXIII said:

IMO it would be ideal to depreciate them by age, and to do so at a rate that would make them unplayable by a certain age due to the regression forcing them into retirement. 

Yeah, depreciation in seasons 9-12 would be heavier. The reason to make those seasons purchasable vs automatic is that members who want to continue past the 8 seasons would need to sacrifice the ability to fight depreciation. So if you want to play all 4 extra seasons, you wouldn’t be able to purchase the Jagr or Not Forgotten packages at pretty much any point of your career. For each season less you decide to play, you basically get one of those purchases back. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

If that's the way people wanted to go there's nothing stopping us. Personally, if careers stayed at 8 I think it makes sense to chop them off at a point like S35 rather than starting from scratch. At least then the records are only from the seasons played on this forum (plus like I said, it might be difficult for me to add pre-35 to the portal). 

If career length goes up, I'd be in favor of cutting off everything before players that are currently active in the league. So instead of starting from scratch, all current players and their career stats would be the start of the new records.

The last part makes the most sense and would be awesome

6 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Make seasons 9-10 purchaseable but make the cost high. Then have 25% and 40% regression.

So if you had 88 stats (or lower as you're already in your 9th season and getting regressed).. you'll be hit with a 22 attribute loss and be brought down to 66.. a VHLM player. Say you bring it up to 75 that year, you'd lose another 30

thosw numbers wouldn't work. Who would buy it? Lol

id say maybe 10% max 

7 minutes ago, Banackock said:

So if you had 88 stats (or lower as you're already in your 9th season and getting regressed).. you'll be hit with a 22 attribute loss and be brought down to 66.. a VHLM player. Say you bring it up to 75 that year, you'd lose another 30

thosw numbers wouldn't work. Who would buy it? Lol

id say maybe 10% max 

:th_leohide:

the number amounts were to start discussions on what’s a good amount. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

I would definitly be opposed to splitting them S35 and then include the longer careers. New record books should be from the first season a player continues longer.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Banackock said:

Hate to say I brought it up.. but I brought it up @Beketov Them rascally, damn record books. 

Never said that people wouldn’t complain about it. I’ve been a proponent of resetting the record books (as in keeping the old ones as Pre-S60 or whatever season) since before we were discussing this. Without that reset I agree that it should stay 8 but I’m fine resetting it.

Yeah sure

the problem is, that issue was brought multiple seasons ago. Wonder why it isn't in place today? The old boys club (that isn't much a thing anymore) is pretty much why the league stalled for a couple of seasons. "Why change something that isn't broken they said" Flashnews, it's broken.

• Senior Admin
33 minutes ago, Green said:

I would definitly be opposed to splitting them S35 and then include the longer careers. New record books should be from the first season a player continues longer.

That's what I'm think it would be. If it stays at 8 seasons, I will just split them at S35 for the purposes of the portal because nobody really cares about pre-35 anyways. 

If career length goes up, the new records should start with the oldest players who will be playing a longer career. So basically they'd start with the career stats of all players who play past this season.