Claimed: Pilgrim Meeting Expectation Early [1/2]

HellBillyXIII

Billy Pilgrim entered the season 59 vhlm draft with little fan fare. The Yukon Rush took a chance on Pilgrim, due to his work ethic, and it has paid off in spades thus far. Through their 1st 7 games the Rush are 4-3 and Billy has proven himself one of the best young defenseman in the league. He is an impenetrable object on the ice, among the top ranked in the league in +/- and shots blocked. More surprising, however, is the fact that through those 7 games Billy has 7 points as well (3 goals & 4 assists), good for 5th best among VHLM defenseman. I had an opportunity to sit with Billy after a practice session this week and ask him a few questions. 

(HELLBILLYXIII) Hey Billy, thanks for stopping by, always good to talk to you. You have a handful of games under your belt now, how do you feel about the way things have gone so far?

(Billy Pilgrim) Anytime man, thanks for

having me. So far so good, there’s some things I need to improve on, but all in all not bad. We are 4-3 so we need to figure out how to close out games better and win more. We’re improving every day though so just have to keep at it. 

(HB) You scored your 1st goal in a 2 goal, 3 point performance and were awarded 2nd star of the game. How did that feel?

(BP) Yeah that was great! I’ve never been much of a goal scorer, so it felt good getting that out of the way. The most important thing is we won that game. The goals and assists are nice but winning is all I care about at the end of the day. 

(HB) You seem unhappy with your teams record, how do you improve going forward and improve upon that record?

(BP) Yeah, 4-3, thats not going to cut it. Have to do better. We have been allowing too many shots, and goals. We have been inconsitent as well. Against the Aces we lost 6-1 then beat them 7-0 a couple games later. That is insane. We have the tools to be the best, and a very hard working group. We’re going to get it going here soon. We’re too good not too. 

(HB) What are your early impressions of the league? 

(BP) Oh man, it’s intense! The size and strength and speed of these guys is out of this world. You can’t make up for a mistake by being faster or stronger in this league, they’re all big and strong, so if you make a mistake you’re gonna get beat, it’s that simple. You have to work so much harder to be good in this league. Nothing comes easy, ever. All that being said, I belong here. I know that as long as I listen to my coaches and trainers and work as hard as I can I will be great in this league, and will help the Rush become champions. 

Edited by HellBillyXIII

• 2 months later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Claimed: Pilgrim Meeting Expectation Early [1/2]