Marcus Högberg, Oslo Storm firing on all cylinders to begin season [1/2]

OldTimeHockey

victor-hedman.jpg

Things have been clicking for the Oslo Storm to begin their newest campaign, and Marcus Högberg has become one of their key contributors early in the season.

Högberg has been a force for them on the blueline, with 7 points in 10 games played for Oslo so far this season. This shouldn’t come as a surprise for anyone who watched Högberg during his junior years, where he gained the reputation as one of the more consistent scorers.

“It’s always nice when skills from your time in junior can translate into a new league and I’m glad I’ve been able to make an easy transition and have my talents help my team this early in the season,” Högberg told media recently.

And translate they have.

Högberg has scored seven points in 10 games this season, with five of those being helpers. But what’s been even more impressive has been his ability to play defense this early in the season.

Despite playing as a defenceman, Högberg was never known as someone who could be a consistent contributor in the defensive zone. It would appear that the Oslo coaches have managed to get their message through to the Swedish defenceman, which has translated into results on the ice.

Högberg ranks among the league leaders in plus/minus this season, sitting at an impressive plus eight this early in the season.

“The coaching staff has been really helpful this season in helping me round out my defensive game. I’ve been working hard this season on that portion of my game early this season and I know the coach’s have been taking notice which ahs provided myself with a nice little confidence booster.”

His coach’s have definitely taken notice of his extra work this season and have rewarded him with ice-time. Högberg is the team leader in ice-time per game which has helped the Oslo storm to a first-place position to begin the season, getting off to an 8-2 record during the first 10 games of the season.

“Having the trust of the coaches is a major thing for me personally, so I think it’s definitely helped me that I was lucky enough to be drafted by a team that has such a great coaching staff that’s willing to let a young player like myself get some much needed experience on the ice and not be forced to watch from the bench/ It’s been really helpful to my growth here in the league.”

Another contributor to his early success could also be that Högberg didn’t have to get used to an entirely new culture and time zone. Oslo is a very short tripe away from his home of Gothenburg, which means he has had the luxury of not having to get acclimated. One of the hardest things for a young player is having to get up and move to an entirely different place than what they have grown familiar too.

It will be interested to find out if Högberg and Oslo can continue their success to start the season as they try to make up for last year’s championship loss.

Word count: 514

1 hour ago, Týr said:

Love it. (Though I hope Hogberg crashes and burns and the Lynx start a miraculous comeback)

@OldTimeHockey

Mind if I include this in the upcoming VHLM magazine?

If I can help at all with the mag let me know.

1 hour ago, OldTimeHockey said:

victor-hedman.jpg

Things have been clicking for the Oslo Storm to begin their newest campaign, and Marcus Högberg has become one of their key contributors early in the season.

Högberg has been a force for them on the blueline, with 7 points in 10 games played for Oslo so far this season. This shouldn’t come as a surprise for anyone who watched Högberg during his junior years, where he gained the reputation as one of the more consistent scorers.

“It’s always nice when skills from your time in junior can translate into a new league and I’m glad I’ve been able to make an easy transition and have my talents help my team this early in the season,” Högberg told media recently.

And translate they have.

Högberg has scored seven points in 10 games this season, with five of those being helpers. But what’s been even more impressive has been his ability to play defense this early in the season.

Despite playing as a defenceman, Högberg was never known as someone who could be a consistent contributor in the defensive zone. It would appear that the Oslo coaches have managed to get their message through to the Swedish defenceman, which has translated into results on the ice.

Högberg ranks among the league leaders in plus/minus this season, sitting at an impressive plus eight this early in the season.

“The coaching staff has been really helpful this season in helping me round out my defensive game. I’ve been working hard this season on that portion of my game early this season and I know the coach’s have been taking notice which ahs provided myself with a nice little confidence booster.”

His coach’s have definitely taken notice of his extra work this season and have rewarded him with ice-time. Högberg is the team leader in ice-time per game which has helped the Oslo storm to a first-place position to begin the season, getting off to an 8-2 record during the first 10 games of the season.

“Having the trust of the coaches is a major thing for me personally, so I think it’s definitely helped me that I was lucky enough to be drafted by a team that has such a great coaching staff that’s willing to let a young player like myself get some much needed experience on the ice and not be forced to watch from the bench/ It’s been really helpful to my growth here in the league.”

Another contributor to his early success could also be that Högberg didn’t have to get used to an entirely new culture and time zone. Oslo is a very short tripe away from his home of Gothenburg, which means he has had the luxury of not having to get acclimated. One of the hardest things for a young player is having to get up and move to an entirely different place than what they have grown familiar too.

It will be interested to find out if Högberg and Oslo can continue their success to start the season as they try to make up for last year’s championship loss.

Word count: 514

If you keep up earning TPE I can see you being a Top 5 pick with those stats

• 2 months later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Marcus Högberg, Oslo Storm firing on all cylinders to begin season [1/2]