Shorter Seasons?

Beaviss

Shorter Season?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Will said:

Yes fair enough, I was saying with the assumption regression would be adjusted anyways 

Like even if you pushed the first season of depreciation up to a persons 7th season instead of 6th, it would balance out the shorter seasons IMO 

Oh for sure. i think I was merely stating the numbers as it appears with our current setup + career lengths. If regression was adjusted as well, then obviously it would all even out. Good stuff here

By the way, the SBA does a doubles week for TD or All-Star week but regardless they always have one per season.

Also, @Banackock I don't know if 82 games is possible with the way our STHS is setup but it obviously something we should look into. If not, no worse for wear. If yes, that opens another poll topic.

• Senior Admin
3 hours ago, Green said:

Actually like the regular season more as you will always play in these, playoffs on the other hand become boring once your team get knocked out.

We have sped up playoffs to some degree already, and they'll be a little faster again this season:

- The 'WIldcard' round was simmed 4/7 last season, this season and in the future it's going to be 2/3 

- We now sim two games per day on both the semi-finals and finals up to game 4 (as opposed to one game per day in the finals) 

So it's not inconceivable that playoffs could be as short as 1-1.5 week now. 

Having 82 game seasons also makes it feel more realistic to the NHL, and you'd be able to compare players to the NHL more on top of that. Although you can't really compare to the NHL too much, considering how many players get over 100 points in 72 games compared to NHLers in 82 games. :lol:

But I think a lot of that has to do with depth too. More players in the VHL get over 100 points because of the lack of players.

Also, what happened to Pre-Season? I feel like there was one a few seasons ago?

I think 10 games per team, simmed over 2 days gives everyone a glimpse of the season with a bunch of games in a short span, while giving managers a chance to tinker with 2 different strategies to see what works...

Yes, but only if we add a VHLM preseason. It takes the first few sims to get rosters sorted out in the VHLM since it doesn't have a preseason like the VHL does (or usually does, anyway). By doing this, the first few sims are a larger portion of the season. Rather than take up a larger portion of the season with incorrect rosters, if we implemented this change, I'd think adding a VHLM preseason to run concurrently with that of the VHL might offset the issue.

Edited by diamond_ace

20 hours ago, sterling said:

The off-season is fairly hectic for the simmers and admin crew and for that reason I'd argue the length of the season is adequate. If it's a matter of excitement, I'd support an 82 game season or other means to foster increased activity on the boards.

I think 1 less week of sims, with more actual games added to the schedule (including a 10-game pre-season, simmed over 2 days) would create a lot more excitement on the board, and a full doubles week (all capped TPE is worth double, and cap is 24 vs. 12) should make up for the lost PT week.

None of that affects turn-around time in the off-season, which may actually need to be increased by a day or 2 anyway, especially with some of the things being discussed in the BOG.

17 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Yes, but only if we add a VHLM preseason. It takes the first few sims to get rosters sorted out in the VHLM since it doesn't have a preseason like the VHL does (or usually does, anyway). By doing this, the first few sims are a larger portion of the season. Rather than take up a larger portion of the season with incorrect rosters, if we implemented this change, I'd think adding a VHLM preseason to run concurrently with that of the VHL might offset the issue.

See above, I definitely think a pre-season is needed to get lines/strategies in place. Plus, an extra bunch of games to see doesn't hurt either.

29 minutes ago, Quik said:

I think 1 less week of sims, with more actual games added to the schedule (including a 10-game pre-season, simmed over 2 days) would create a lot more excitement on the board, and a full doubles week (all capped TPE is worth double, and cap is 24 vs. 12) should make up for the lost PT week.

None of that affects turn-around time in the off-season, which may actually need to be increased by a day or 2 anyway, especially with some of the things being discussed in the BOG.

See above, I definitely think a pre-season is needed to get lines/strategies in place. Plus, an extra bunch of games to see doesn't hurt either.

This 

23 hours ago, Quik said:

It burns people out though is my point.

16 minutes ago, sterling said:

It burns people out though is my point.

Fair point.

Maybe, we shorten the sim, but then create an off-season team activity that is run by a non-GM/Simmer/Admin/job that takes up time in the off-season?

That way, we could spread the off-season out a little more, to keep guys from burning out and make sure everything is done on time/properly, but keep members' attention during that time. I've seen mention of team PTs before, I'm not really sure how those worked as I don't think I was around when they were a thing, but even an off-season easter hunt type thing that gets people coming back for 1 TPE/day, with an extra 3 TPE for checking in each day type of thing (10 Uncapped TPE). It basically works out to an activity check, but it retains members during a period where it's very easy to lose them, especially new members who join in the awkward period right after the playoffs start.

It would negate the need for an extra doubles week (though I agree there should always be at least one per season), and we could still condense the actual sim schedule to prevent/mitigate a mid-season lull in activity. I do think a shorter real-time regular season, with more games and a pre-season is the best way to go in that sense. But I do get what you're saying about burning out with the short off-season (you're not the first to mention it), and think this could be a best of both-worlds option.

Edited by Quik

• 3 months later...