Whens the next chapter? [1/2]

Banackock

I think that's the question I've been asking more and more to myself lately and maybe have been expressing subconsciously and indirectly around the boards the last couple of seasons. What's my next chapter? Over the seasons, I haven't had near the rate of success as quite a few members have on this site - but there's some good reasoning behind that and a lot of it points to being a manager and always having to build team first and be team first when it comes to my players. If they need a centre, that's what I am. Scoring - passing? Which ever they need, I got us covered. This likely has put a damper on my "player careers" and could be a good reason and excuse as to why my players have been the bees - ESPECIALLY considering I've never had a player until Federov (and maybe Campbell??) reach regression. It was a little weird to experience is, but I'm very happy to do so with Federov. Surprisingly, he's been my best player and has earned the most TPE out of all of them. I truly enjoyed Campbell's career but it was shitty it had to end early and all that jazz.

So, What's my next chapter? I've been a VHLM GM and had seen some decent success there. 3 GMoTY awards, 2 championships and a lot of love for the Bratislava Watchmen organization that has since fallen into the darkness and history books for the VHL. I loved every moment of it and honestly, it wouldn't shock me if I once again found myself helping out the younger members in the VHLM under a VHLM GM role. This, of course, would only happen if change came about the VHLM (stability, and a volatile uprising to reshape and image the league). The team wouldn't matter and neither would the assets. It may have been less pressure to win in the VHLM,  but I also really loved interacting with the new members, helping them out and watching them succeed and build good players. It was fun to piece together the team for the Watchmen and watch it all unravel into championships and good times.

So, what else? I was a recruitment lead for sometime and despite being busy, plastered the league image over 50+ forums throughout the internet, messaged all old, inactive members on the forum (which had decent success at the start) and spammed the fuck out of people on other sim leagues. I didn't like the role, was too busy for it and it simply wasn't my forte. It wasn't something I enjoyed doing - even if the well being of the website, league and all of you are in my heart, xx. After that, I tried to take on the VHLM commissioner role but it was simply again, too much. I was trying and trying to help everyone out - the league etc, and just simply couldn't do it. Big shit happening at work and me working crazy hours led to me not being able to fulfill the position like someone proper could. Was shitty because the role is something I'd love to do, would enjoy doing and could see myself really helping out the VHLM. Again and unfortunately, I don't feel as though I have the time to succeed in the role at the moment.

And then, we've found myself at the helm of Seattle for many, many seasons. I've loved every minute of it. Experiencing the rollercoaster rides with a lot of great people - bringing together some solid teams and people and overall, the role. I don't have a cup and my playoff record is spotty, but hours upon hours have gone into the role, as well as my entire attention and effort. I've done everything I can to try and help myself and the boys succeed - from putting in hours of trade talks, FA negotiations, keeping the LR active and helping the guys out when they are in need for writing and stuff like that. Seattle is, has and always will be home and important to me. But, the thought of what's next has popped into my head more and more over the seasons and I think that means it's almost time to say goodbye, turn the page and start a new chapter. I'm not saying it's not, I'm not saying it's next season or in the next 5 seasons for that matter. I'm not too sure. I'd love a cup and I know stepping away, It'll be shitty and I'll miss the role a lot, but despite it being difficult, I think when it happens - it'll be a really great thing. 

I've only ever experienced one player who wasn't in my GM reign, and it was an Aidan Shaw winning, VHL championship caliber goalie who despite a great build and career, got fucked my a huge influx of goalies into the league - found himself on Calgary and then retired on a shitty team (no knocks to them). I just wanted to go out on top and tried - but didn't wanna play the rest of my years out on a bad team. So, the next chapter is soon and that chapter is going to be to enjoy a player and make him really dominant. I loved the goalie position in the VHL, but there's tons of them and always will be. Competition is good, but too many is shit and ruins careers. Forward is great, but I've never made anything that could be considered truly elite - just pretty good (90 - 100 pt player). For federov, he has to be my favourite and I may be leaning towards becoming a big time defender - this time approaching it maybe a little different - we'll see.

So, not what but when is my next chapter you ask? Soon. It'll be with a heavy heart I walk away and I'm sure it won't be forever. I'll find my way back into the VHL GMing role one day, but enjoying a full career as a player and to be able to relax and not stress is going to be pretty damn good too. We'll see how this season goes - and maybe the off-season and go from there. Until then, GO BEARS GO! :sea:

For federov

March 5-11

March 12-18

I think just being a player would be good for awhile. I kind of miss it even though I’m having tons of fun as a GM. The best mix is having a foot in the VHLM and a foot in the VHL so than you care about both leagues( The M needs more love).

31 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I think just being a player would be good for awhile. I kind of miss it even though I’m having tons of fun as a GM. The best mix is having a foot in the VHLM and a foot in the VHL so than you care about both leagues( The M needs more love).

The M needs to be scrapped tbh

38 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Being a GM is difficult, challenging - at times frustrating, but very rewarding in this league. I've enjoyed my time with Seattle - especially during my early days and time during the Podarok/Holik episode.

I encourage you to continue and give it a real shot.

24 minutes ago, Banackock said:

I don't think so. VHLM is great. Some shitty things about it that needs to be changed.

With the recent influx of new members and an active Commish crew it seems a lot better than it has in seasons past.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, HellBillyXIII said:

I meant for his audience, helpful article for newer players ?

Ah, okay. Now reading that comment it makes sense. When I first read it I thought you were saying it was well written, considering he hasn't been on the site that long. :P

Woops!