S60 Salary Brackets + Salary Cap

Will

• Senior Admin

With the changes to the TPE structure of the forum and increase in weekly cap, it was obviously necessary to adjust the Salary Brackets. After a lengthy discussion about career lengths and other major changes to the overall salary system - we ended up not really coming to agreement or final decision on those things. And so, what we've done is essentially the bare minimum required to bring the old brackets up to date. 

First, new brackets are added to account for the higher TPE levels. Second, brackets will now be calculated by TPA (Total Points Applied) rather than TPE. This means that depreciation can cause a player to drop brackets - in essence, this is the fairest system possible as you now pay for a player based on how good he actually is rather than the arbitirary Veteran contract tier (which has been removed) which either resulted in a) overpaying for a player who didn't fully recover from depreciation or b) underpaying for a player who possibly recovered from depreciation fully and then some. 

Going by TPA gets rid of that. And so, Rookie contracts will continue to be seasons 1-3, and Prime will be 4-8. 

As for determining cap hit: There will still be a TPE-Cutoff Date prior to off-season where all TPE earned prior to that date counts toward the cap. Then, Depreciation will be done. A player's TPA for finance purposes will be their TPA after depreciation (if applicable) plus any banked, unclaimed or outstanding TPE earned before the cut-off date. 

Here are the brackets:

VHL Salary Brackets
# TPA Rookie Prime
1 Under 100 $500,000 $750,000
2 101-200 $1,000,000 $1,500,000
3 201-300 $1,500,000 $2,000,000
4 301-400 $2,000,000 $2,500,000
5 401-500 $2,500,000 $3,000,000
6 501-600 $3,000,000 $3,750,000
7 601-700 $3,500,000 $4,000,000
8 701-800 $4,000,000 $4,500,000
9 801-900 $4,500,000 $5,000,000
10 900+ TPA $5,000,000 $5,500,000

While some salaries go up slightly with the loss of Veteran tier contracts, it seems from my calculations that the decreased cap hit for players hit harder for depreciation generally outweighs the increase for players who don't. Therefore, there's little need for a significant increase in cap. 

The S60 Salary Cap will be $34 000 000. 

This small increase is to account for possible higher salaries due to the removal of the veteran tier and as always when we make these kind of changes, the salary cap will be closely monitored and re-evaluated next season. 

• Commissioner
17 hours ago, Banackock said:

34...? Alrighty.. we'll test drive it. 

We’ve done the math. As it currently stands all teams fit under 33 mill (I think you might be the only one a tad over it) so 34 is actually giving a little extra wiggle room.

7 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Fair enough with TPA and the loss of Veteran contracts, I don't mind that. McAllister's about to get Super Paid though.

My third year goaltender will be making max next season, lol

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Victor said:

I assume in my absence someone developed a handy tool to calculate TPA.

The portal keeps track of it for us.

TPA is still a threat.

It's actually kinda funny to me that the term I coined is being used more now than it ever was when I was here :lol:

11 minutes ago, Tagger said:

TPA is still a threat.

It's actually kinda funny to me that the term I coined is being used more now than it ever was when I was here :lol:

Come back please

29 minutes ago, Tagger said:

TPA is still a threat.

Come back anytime.....

I miss you 

:th_mayweathercry:

2 hours ago, Tagger said:

TPA is still a threat.

Did you coin TPA? I kind of threw it out there because I think SBA or somebody does it. Or SHL. I don't remember now.

• Senior Admin
21 minutes ago, Banackock said:

@Will  cut-off the same? This pst Monday?

I feel like I've answered this question for you 3 times :P 

On 3/31/2018 at 1:34 PM, Will said:

The cut-off day will be the same time it always is, the last sunday before off-season TPE starts being handed out, it will be on the off-season schedule

On 05/04/2018 at 1:16 AM, DollarAndADream said:

Did you coin TPA? I kind of threw it out there because I think SBA or somebody does it. Or SHL. I don't remember now.

I started using the term on the site in S46 (so would be round late 2015) when I added it to TPE Index, Given that I think someone at the time would probably have mentioned it was already being used on another site (I don’t think it is anyway since Bana mentioned SHL doesn’t and I don’t remember seeing the term in SBA in my short time there) and no one else had used it on this one, I think its fair to say that was the first instanced use of the term. 

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

No I had heard it being used in a prior Football league

Not saying your wrong, but I’ve been in a lot of football leagues and I don’t remember the term being used. Plus as I mention nobody brought it up at the time and you were one of those who posted immediately after so it could just be something you’ve seen used elsewhere and couldn’t remember which was first, which is something I’ve certainly had trouble remembering in the past.

Then again, if one were to use the concept of using players total active points (which I know had been done prior to this league using TPA) and turning it into a shorthand term (something which I see less as most leagues I’d seen it calculated were part of a one-off thing) then it isn’t exactly impossible that two people could come up with the same term as most of the terms that would be used to describe current points attached to a player begin with A (Active, Applied, Attached, etc.)

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I just remember it being used elsewhere before. Much like how when I heard TPA come from you, I already knew what it was. 

Umm no, I remember having to explain it to you at the time what it was and how it was calculated haha.

Perhaps you’re thinking of the USFL, which used an Actual TPE figure, but that was TPE minus contract money?