Pod Cast Press Conference (PCPC)

Victor

• Admin
9 hours ago, BOOM™ said:

What was it like meeting Austin when he was over there? 

Would you like to meet me over here? 

Do new player names come easily for you? 

Do you see Cast being a one team man? 

1. It was cool, bit odd to actually verbalise some things I say on the VHL but never out loud. We managed to stay away from VHL topics for a good portion of the time anyway which was nice too. It helped support my view that I wasn't just on a sim league with a bunch of weirdos, and now I met Frank in Vancouver a couple weeks ago too and he was cool as well.

2. I'm always open to any VHL meet-ups - you might have seen I tried to see if there were any possibilities when I went to Canada last month. Australia and NZ are on the bucket list, so I'm sure I'll make my way out there eventually and then we'll see.

3. Yes and no. I can come up with quite a few but it takes a while to narrow down to all the criteria - 1) would it be easily mispronounced, 2) would it look good written down and 3) would I want to see it in the HOF lol. By the time it's narrowed down there's usually not much to choose from.

4. I'm a bit torn at the moment - my only foray into FA so far has been with Clegane, and it's not quite the same with a goalie, so it is tempting. But Riga could well compete for the rest of Cast's career and I would also love to play for a dynasty. I've never managed to leave a team when it doesn't help the team at least a bit, so I might struggle if I have to make the choice again. I guess the short answer is - yes, it's very possible and would be a first for me.

4 hours ago, Quik said:
  1. Do you think it was a big advantage for Riga to have @Tagger in the LR, when the draft came around?
  2.  What are your thoughts on the trade that could have been, with Toronto? Do you know just how far it would have rippled?
  3. How long will Riga's window be open?
  4. PC, do you love me? Are you riding?

1. Probably, although there was less discussion that I saw. I think he was especially useful in S62 and did quite a few LR scouting reports, which probably inspired him to then do them league-wide. I think in S63 it was tough to go wrong but I'm sure he would have told hedgehog if his ideas weren't good.

2. I don't know how far it would have rippled but I'm glad it didn't happen - it wasn't a good move for Riga imo. Enorama is one of those first-gens who are really committed and an asset in almost unquantifiable ways - DAAD used to be that first-gen but is showing signs of burn-out now. Plus we have Twinger which I think is a much better situation than having both Twinger and Ironside.

3. I don't know the future cap situation and am slightly concerned that it will close sooner than we'd like (happened in Helsinki with Clegane when we won cups in rookie and sophomore seasons and then just couldn't ice as good a team anymore). I am hopeful that Cast can retire in Riga and that would require us competing for 5 more seasons - it's doable with a young goalie.

4. I will never ever leave from beside you.

Are you worried about Cast's performance this season?

Is that normal to have so much players in a team?

Pray for people that were in Leicester City owner h-copter.

Do you think the S63 Riga draftees could make into the team next season?

Your thoughts on Crimson being a first liner?

Can England make a hockey team by themselves?

• Admin
On 10/28/2018 at 9:15 PM, hedgehog337 said:

Are you worried about Cast's performance this season?

Is that normal to have so much players in a team?

Pray for people that were in Leicester City owner h-copter.

Do you think the S63 Riga draftees could make into the team next season?

Your thoughts on Crimson being a first liner?

Can England make a hockey team by themselves?

1. I briefly was, but it's picked up now and he's around where I would have expected - 2nd best center in the league behind Canmore. Didn't expect a repeat of last season so keeping this pace and remaining top/near the top of the S61 draft class will keep me happy this season.

2. Not really but it's more fun this way. Ideally, contenders should roll out 10 players + goalie, obviously our cap situation has allowed for more. Usually, this means we won't win the cup but it's usually the best part of the team cycle, after the rebuild, but before it gets stale.

3. :( Didn't know too much about him before the incident, other than rich guy who helped Leicester win the Prem, but sounds like not just a rich, but a good guy too. Very sad.

4. Depends on cap. On ability, looks like Peace, Dabarno, and Shan will be VHL eligible but can we fit them in? Hopefully, but there's also guys like Pajari and Crimson who have a bit less ice time this year and we're only losing Shephard.

5. I mean it was my suggestion so pretty pleased. :P Think it's a good move although I think he's swapped out for Twinger now. Regular season not a huge deal, but in the playoffs that balance could make the difference.

6. Doubt it, we used to have Team UK when the Knights were around which was basically 2 guaranteed players, but that was a bit of a spark that then went away. Team Europe is safer, any individual country fluctuates too much.

How long Kallis will suck?

Do you play or watch chess?

Did you know the World Chess Championship just started in London?

Can the UK hockey team to stay in elite after next year WC?

Do you like this fight for the # spot? 4 points separates us from Quebec now.

• Admin
19 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

How long Kallis will suck?

Do you play or watch chess?

Did you know the World Chess Championship just started in London?

Can the UK hockey team to stay in elite after next year WC?

Do you like this fight for the # spot? 4 points separates us from Quebec now.

1. Just this season. Hit 400 TPE and the world is yours.

2. No. I probably would have been alright but I haven't played in 10-12 years.

3. No, although I saw tweets about chess recently so that makes some sense.

4. I mean it's very rare for any team to get promoted and not immediately relegated so I doubt it. That said, I remember one time France came up and that was weird and then they stayed up ever since. I don't really know much about the UK hockey scene to say if they're actually getting better or just got lucky once.

5. It's good fun although also a bit frightening, don't want to play the wildcard round as Toronto could actually win because STHS.

1. Were you expecting this step back in production from Pod or did this come out of the blue?

2. Who's winning the Continental Cup this year and why is it Riga?

3. What's the single biggest change you could see coming to the VHL within the next year or so?

4. How do you feel about the lottery changes for the upcoming draft?

5. Fuck, Marry, Kill: Preencarnacion, Bassolino, Kriketers.

@Victor

Edited by Enorama

• Admin
On 11/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, Enorama said:

1. Were you expecting this step back in production from Pod or did this come out of the blue?

2. Who's winning the Continental Cup this year and why is it Riga?

3. What's the single biggest change you could see coming to the VHL within the next year or so?

4. How do you feel about the lottery changes for the upcoming draft?

5. Fuck, Marry, Kill: Preencarnacion, Bassolino, Kriketers.

@Victor

1. Absolutely expected haha, I think S62 will remain statistically my best over my whole career. The key target was 100 points and remaining among the league's leaders. Both are currently on course to being achieved, I think I've been in top 5 in points for most of the season, which is roughly in line with the TPA leaderboard, and still might sneak away with another Brooks Trophy.

2. It's us because we have depth but STHS sometimes doesn't like depth when the playoffs roll around. I think the biggest threat is Seattle because McAllister is a modern great and one of the VHL's best ever playoff performers to boot.

3. As in between now and November 2019? I can't even imagine to be honest, things move so fast these days. I reckon either the portalfication of something which we currently aren't even considering to be on the portal, or expansion.

4. I was against them but I'm also still against 5th place getting a playoff spot. So I guess from the current set-up, it is a more logical system, although it is a shame we won't see Riga pissing off actual tanking teams anymore.

5. Marry - Preencarnacion, since we already have so much on-ice chemistry, Fuck - Bassolino cuz I'm getting Latino vibes from him, and kill Kriketers and bring back Aamo.

1. What's the one thing that would stop Riga winning the Continental Cup in S63?

2. 356 points through 2 2/3 seasons, how high on the all-time points leaderboard can Cast finish?

3. Do you think Cast's success would have a positive or negative impact on Preencarnacion's HOF chances?

4. Given that Riga have already had problems in having "too many players" this season, what do you think Riga should do with their S64 picks

5. How many of the Season 61 Draft Class do you think will end up in the HOF?

6. If you were to pick any player who you were surprised to see how high (or low) his stats were this season, who would it be?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Tagger said:

1. What's the one thing that would stop Riga winning the Continental Cup in S63?

2. 356 points through 2 2/3 seasons, how high on the all-time points leaderboard can Cast finish?

3. Do you think Cast's success would have a positive or negative impact on Preencarnacion's HOF chances?

4. Given that Riga have already had problems in having "too many players" this season, what do you think Riga should do with their S64 picks

5. How many of the Season 61 Draft Class do you think will end up in the HOF?

6. If you were to pick any player who you were surprised to see how high (or low) his stats were this season, who would it be?

1. Lack of an absolute elite TPE player. Cast is now in the top 10 players league-wide, Preencarnacion and Bassolino just behind, but Seattle, Calgary, and Quebec have some monsters from the S56/S57 era. That could be the difference.

2. Honestly, it's scary to think about it. I really don't want to get my hopes up, but I don't think a player will be better positioned for a while to get into the top 3 all-time, maybe even push Szatkowski's 971. So hopefully this 3-season stretch is somehow only the beginning.

3. I think both will benefit equally. Both are on pace to crack the 800-point mark comfortably which for me is the first consideration for the HOF before anything like who did they play with. Extrapolating current careers, Cast and Thompson would be the first ballot Hall of Famers but I don't think it'd be much more than a season's delay for Preencarnacion, and that's if he doesn't win any individual awards - I'm sure he will though.

4. I don't think the S64 draft is quite deep enough for Riga's pick to be an instant VHL player - I could be wrong here. So if there isn't a very good buying opportunity (and based on the age of the players likely available for sale I don't think there will be), there's no harm having more prospects in the pipeline in case anything goes wrong with S62/S63 classes. We gained a lot this off-season through FA and could lose it just as quickly, so I definitely don't think there's a pressing need to sell all the picks.

5. Something would have to go terribly wrong in the next 5 seasons for Cast, Thompson, and Preencarnacion to not make it. Sterling should get a few Shaws at some point and secure his place. Gate is well positioned but defencemen are tougher to predict, but if he doesn't, a forward like Louth might so I'm going to put a preliminary prediction of 5 players. We'll all be in a great position to exploit the talent gap at the top once the S57s retire so it is looking good.

6. Sebastian Ironside. He was nearly the highest scoring center at one point and is still doing very well on an average team. But Jake Davis maybe even more so... thought he'd be overshadowed by other Seattle players and ended up not picking him up in fantasy, despite him having a hot start from the very start of the season (with the draft still going on).

1. As we hit the trade deadline, thoughts on S63 thus far?

2. On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you the Wylde stuff got fixed?

3. Early thoughts on the Brands Tournament stuff?

4. Presume the VHL adopted some sort of "veteran player" scenario whereby old players with their retired TPE's got to play out another 4 seasons and earn but have higher regression, but they got to increase their record and HoF totals. You would only get to do this once per member however, so your only able to dig one former player out of the grave. Which one of yours would you pick and obviously, why?

5. What VHL franchise has been your favorite to play for throughout your career? 

6. Have you ever GM'd at the VHL level? I could probably check the spreadsheet, but I'm kind of curious if you have. I don't recall you ever being notable for that, more so for making HoF players. Explain your thoughts on GMing, and your relationship thereinwith and lack of storied history. I could very easily see you being one of the names among the likes of Higgins, Chris, Molholt, myself in that category. Long ass sort of non question here, but yeah. 

• Admin
On 11/19/2018 at 2:32 AM, Devise said:

1. As we hit the trade deadline, thoughts on S63 thus far?

2. On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you the Wylde stuff got fixed?

3. Early thoughts on the Brands Tournament stuff?

4. Presume the VHL adopted some sort of "veteran player" scenario whereby old players with their retired TPE's got to play out another 4 seasons and earn but have higher regression, but they got to increase their record and HoF totals. You would only get to do this once per member however, so your only able to dig one former player out of the grave. Which one of yours would you pick and obviously, why?

5. What VHL franchise has been your favorite to play for throughout your career

6. Have you ever GM'd at the VHL level? I could probably check the spreadsheet, but I'm kind of curious if you have. I don't recall you ever being notable for that, more so for making HoF players. Explain your thoughts on GMing, and your relationship thereinwith and lack of storied history. I could very easily see you being one of the names among the likes of Higgins, Chris, Molholt, myself in that category. Long ass sort of non question here, but yeah. 

1. Pretty predictable to be honest, should be a decent playoffs, but don't think this season will live long in the memory. Probably doesn't help that it follows the individually great S62, but yeah. Not too many storylines for me.

2. Honestly, 10. It was irking me significantly, almost as much as the Marta and Fong Trophies not being retired. Initially, I think I'd have ended up disappointed that the Wylde stuck around but we found a very good solution, and the Valiq Trophy aesthetically pleases me. I'm glad not too many seasons of the Labatte were lost.

3. Let's see how it goes in the off-season, I'm a bit weary that the hype has died down pretty quickly. I do like the concept and had a fair amount of fun with it when the original bids were being made, so am keeping an open mind.

4. Chershenko. My most fun player and I'm sure he'd be a playoff god even against serious depreciation - might even beat Campbell's career stats. In his position, Clegane was the more dominant but the risk with going too far with goalies is all their key stats get worse with time... best to leave him on the high.

5. It probably still is Calgary, even though I haven't been there since Chershenko. That just enhances it to be honest, it's like a distant memory of a bygone time. Davos when I was GM was fun too and extending what at the time was a very impressive legacy. Shame they ruined it afterwards.

6. So obviously as I just said I was Davos GM. Can't believe you forgot that, I traded you guys Kellinger for 2 drafts. I was also NY GM a long time ago and not very successfully, for two seasons, but in 5 seasons with Davos I basically did everything I wanted - quick rebuild, 3 finals, 2 cups. My approach is actually quite similar to yours in that I accumulate draft picks as assets, without the intention of using most of them. That then means that I have to be highly involved in being ahead of the game in trades and FA (see the wooing of Tordahl from Helsinki). That's very draining and don't think I could last longer than a rebuild-contention cycle as GM. Also I think there is a clear knock on effect on quality of players - it's not impossible to make a HOF player as GM but you're much more a victim of circumstance. Note how sterling has never been a GM but all his players are in the HOF. All of mine but my first-gen are. Out of not my first-gens, my GM player in Bentley was probably my worst - still a HOFer, but just about. And he was only a defenceman because I was GM. So I veer very much to the player-first side of the spectrum, although I may dabble again in it now with GMs having two players. But then that's a concept I don't particularly like as I showed in the BOG so I don't know if I can bring myself to do that. Plus, time constraints IRL make my full-on GMing style hard to implement. I do agree, I'd think I'd definitely do a good job over a long period of time, but I don't really have the itch to do it because of the success of the Davos time.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Quebec Sports News (QSN) ranked Quebec Meute as the number one team in VHL, thoughts on that?

2. What makes Riga a good team?

3. Is there such thing as a bad shot if goalie has to make a save to stop it from going in?

4. Who is your biggest rival in VHL at the moment?

5. What is the song that is played every time you score a goal?

• Admin
On 11/29/2018 at 8:15 PM, jRuutu said:

1. Quebec Sports News (QSN) ranked Quebec Meute as the number one team in VHL, thoughts on that?

2. What makes Riga a good team?

3. Is there such thing as a bad shot if goalie has to make a save to stop it from going in?

4. Who is your biggest rival in VHL at the moment?

5. What is the song that is played every time you score a goal?

1. You can't trust the French.

2. Depth, activity, and high TPE in the right position (i.e. forwards). Essentially the three pillars of VHL success.

3. Yeah because some saves are easier to make. If a player was blind and only knew to shoot in the direction of the net as told then yeah any shot is a good shot, but you can see where the goalie is so just don't shoot there.

4. Matt Thompson, a big mistake was made taking him first overall in S61 and he will never live it down. It's not his fault of course but I can't compete with Seattle in goals and points, but I can against Thompson.

5. Seven Nation Army because I'm a basic bitch.

1. Does Riga win the Cup this season? If so, why?

2. What team do you think will take the biggest leap forward in Season 64?

3. What team do you think will take the biggest step backward in Season 64?

4. Since I forgot your Davos GM run, which was good, give me some of your fav memories, moments, and players from there?

5. Despite being on the same team, we hardly see minutes together. As players vacate and Pajari grows, do you see Cast and Pajari playing together at any point? Even if only on say, the PP? 

• Admin
On 12/2/2018 at 2:50 AM, Devise said:

1. Does Riga win the Cup this season? If so, why?

2. What team do you think will take the biggest leap forward in Season 64?

3. What team do you think will take the biggest step backward in Season 64?

4. Since I forgot your Davos GM run, which was good, give me some of your fav memories, moments, and players from there?

5. Despite being on the same team, we hardly see minutes together. As players vacate and Pajari grows, do you see Cast and Pajari playing together at any point? Even if only on say, the PP? 

1. Obviously any of the top 4 teams could win it going into the playoffs, we are now only 5 wins away and certainly I am hopeful. If we do triumph, it will be because we were a younger, more active team throughout the season and kept getting better.

2. Helsinki I think, followed by New York. Both in pretty similar positions rebuild-wise and had lots of good rookies, but which one ends up being better I think depends on what they do in the off-season.

3. It feels like Calgary is on its last legs. Even if they don't sell their veterans, I don't think they can maintain the pace of the last few seasons.

4. Obviously the 3 straight finals were a favourite. A specific moment was convincing Tordahl to sign in FA, but equally getting the Davos Seaworth avatars going for the playoffs - one of the last great rallies. Fave player has to be Thomas Landry, one of the best captains ever, an absolute steal of a trade who bled purple. Great member, shame he left soon after. That said it was a great team, few superstars but lots of good members' first players - Davey Jones @Trifecta, Shane Baker @Velevra, Sergey Brovalenko, the list goes on.

5. I'll get back to you on this one as I've hit my 2 TPE for this week now. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Feels good, isn't it? Already got the championship in first competing year.

2. But can Riga do this for the long time? The cap and things...

3. Your opinion on Kisshan and Dabarno potentially stuck at the fourth line cause nobody wants them yet?

4. Can Toronto be a legitimate contender if they're re-signing Louth?

5. Seems like Streetlight went inactive? Are you happy or sad about it?

• Admin
On 12/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, hedgehog337 said:

1. Feels good, isn't it? Already got the championship in first competing year.

2. But can Riga do this for the long time? The cap and things...

3. Your opinion on Kisshan and Dabarno potentially stuck at the fourth line cause nobody wants them yet?

4. Can Toronto be a legitimate contender if they're re-signing Louth?

5. Seems like Streetlight went inactive? Are you happy or sad about it?

1. Always good, I've been quite lucky with my players in that all of them got cups with the team they started out with, meaning there were few regrets. Always sad to see good teams miss out or win after some core players have to leave.

2. It will require some clever planning but with how deep our prospect pool is and still having all future draft picks, I don't see why not. I do suspect a big sacrifice will need to be made to the salary cap at some point, hopefully not me!

3. I mean, we can at least play them on the 3rd right? It's tough but it's your fault for drafting too well.

4. With or without Louth, I see Toronto as the 4th best team in the league. That means they have a chance to win the cup but I don't know if they're a legitimate contender. Maybe in another season but this year Riga, Seattle, and Quebec are too strong.

5. He still seems to be popping in but yeah, not really saying much these days. Always sad about members' inactivity, especially once I've known for a while, and he's left me to carry the VHL history load on my own. I'm sure he'll reappear though.

1. It doesn't seem like there's going to me much reason in the future for the Reign to trade their first round selections, so as a VHL historian, have there been many other examples that you can think of of a Continental Cup winning team who were able to compete yet still consistently hold onto their first round selection or is this a unique situation? 

2. Which was the bigger surprise for you, when the voting committee picked Ironside for Most Improved or Campbell for GMOTY?

3. What are your thoughts on the members reactions to the brands and the Sponsors Shield? 

4. Do you think you stand a chance at the TPE record at all? 

• Admin
9 hours ago, Tagger said:

1. It doesn't seem like there's going to me much reason in the future for the Reign to trade their first round selections, so as a VHL historian, have there been many other examples that you can think of of a Continental Cup winning team who were able to compete yet still consistently hold onto their first round selection or is this a unique situation? 

2. Which was the bigger surprise for you, when the voting committee picked Ironside for Most Improved or Campbell for GMOTY?

3. What are your thoughts on the members reactions to the brands and the Sponsors Shield? 

4. Do you think you stand a chance at the TPE record at all? 

1. It may or may not surprise you that is something I have given some thought - not a lot of thought mind because it's still speculation and I've got a couple other projects going on. Nothing jumps out at me immediately and it's certainly unique for a cup winner to have such a diverse prospect pool. We've just never had so many consecutive deep drafts so it might become the new norm.

2. Having participated in the discussion, neither surprised me that much, although both weren't what I voted for. I think Ironside is more understandable, while a team improving less than the other and paying a higher price for that.... that's just not right.

3. Sort of expected. It reminds me of the Super Cup and maybe points to there being a limit to how much people want out of the VHL. I do think it should be an indication to those passionate about brands to make some changes otherwise I think we'll have to cut the cord within 6-8 seasons.

4. I'm still trying to adapt to this new world and grasp how much TPE there is in a season. I'm still stuck in the mindset that a season is about 100 TPE, in which case I don't have a chance, but obviously that's not right so I don't know. What I should note is the TPE record is not my aim - I don't want to max out every attribute therefore I don't really need that much now other than to fight off depreciation. So I think I'll slow down within the next couple of seasons and start recharging for the recreate.

• Admin
On 12/2/2018 at 2:50 AM, Devise said:

Just checked and I forgot to come back to you. :o

I would be surprised if saw much ice time together this season, as the only two centers on the teams it makes sense for at least but also no more than 1 of us to be on the ice at the same time to maximise that faceoff winning potential. Depending on how the team makeup changes after S64, it is possible we end up on the PP together - especially if you become one of the team's TPE leaders - but sadly not for a while. Just gonna have to be the best 1-2 center duo in the league I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Isn't this season too weird so far?

2. Can Thompson keep his current pace?

3. Do you think the S66 draft will be better than S65?

4. Can Liverpool hold on their lead on City?

5. Do you watch other than Premier League?

6. Try to predict who I will have to sell in offseason.

7. Do you agree with Tagger that Calgary had a better 2018 than Riga?

• Admin
11 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

1. Isn't this season too weird so far?

2. Can Thompson keep his current pace?

3. Do you think the S66 draft will be better than S65?

4. Can Liverpool hold on their lead on City?

5. Do you watch other than Premier League?

6. Try to predict who I will have to sell in offseason.

7. Do you agree with Tagger that Calgary had a better 2018 than Riga?

1. I sort of expected this. The only definitely bad team going in was Davos and even they aren't as bad as past teams. So it makes sense that there are a lot of upsets. I'm more confused by some individual players' stats tbh.

2. I think once a player hits the ground running, they don't stop, so yeah I think he'll just stay where is at number one in scoring. Would have loved for him to stay in Cast's shadow but probably not gonna happen this season.

3. It's much tougher to tell these days as it's more about the success of recruitment rather than calculating who will be recreating from previous seasons. Given S65 is a bit weaker than the last couple, I hope that yes, especially given we're expecting more recreates. But will depend on recruitment at the trade deadline for sure.

4. If it stays at four points for a while, it will be tough. I don't even know who I want to win but it would be hilarious if they slip up (hehe) again.

5. Yeah, I follow Serie A a lot, and to a lesser extent La Liga and Bundesliga (big matches only usually). Also lots of Champions League and occasionally Europa League (especially later stages), and major international tournaments of course.

6. I don't really want to say because it'll just look bad. Assuming Cast and Edwin are untouchable (and I'm not even sure about that), it could be anyone from Twinger onwards (in TPE). It will also depend on the specific salaries when the off-season rolls around and the market of course.

7. If S57 ended in 2018, I would definitely disagree, but then I assume he'd also put Riga first. Instead it's 2 cups in 2 finals versus 1 cup in 3 finals, so I can see the logic but would probably go for cups myself (and the fact you did a very quick rebuild in between).

1. Pajari finally assisted on a goal of yours, how does that make you feel?

2. Riga has had some near mid-season struggles, do you think it's just a blip or a sign that maybe the rest of the league's competitors have caught up?

3. Rank the standings at the end of this season in your estimation, and then rank the standings on your early guesstimate of next season as well. 

4. What VHL position do you think you could have only one single star at, and no stars but depth players at every other position but still stand a chance to win? Obviously when I say star I mean, best player in the league TPA wise star.

5. What Cup win of all yours stands out to you the most? Which one is the least memorable?