Mobile Chat (Upgrading the Old Chat)

Now that we have chat back it would be great to have a mobile friendly version of the chat. Ive been looking into the service we use and for a one time fee of $45 we can upgrade our current chat to include mobile.

https://www.arrowchat.com/purchase/

That way users like me can have chat while mobile. Expanding the use of the chat greatly.

thoughts?

Just now, Beaviss said:

quality post

Which is important. We want Quality on this site, not Quantity. 

At the end of the day, I was on my phone today and seen that chat came back. I almost squirted in my pants at work with excitement, yet couldn't experience the amazing return of "chat". Bring it to mobile. I'm on mobile 80% of the time and want to enjoy my chats with @Bring Back Player 2 (Tri) 

19 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Now that we have chat back it would be great to have a mobile friendly version of the chat. Ive been looking into the service we use and for a one time fee of $45 we can upgrade our current chat to include mobile.

https://www.arrowchat.com/purchase/

That way users like me can have chat while mobile. Expanding the use of the chat greatly.

thoughts?

You do know if you go from the mobile version over to the full site on your phone, you can use chat?

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Player 2 (Tri) said:

You do know if you go from the mobile version over to the full site on your phone, you can use chat?

It wouldn't let me today. 

It's $40 damn dollars.  The league easily makes that in 2 donations. Let us enjoy the league will it's still breathing. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Player 2 (Tri) said:

how do you do that.....

• Head Moderator

Don't understand why we don't use discord.

Like literally chat while mobile among other things.

Oh and its free...and with the various bots and add on's you can get.

Edited by tfong

• Head Moderator

Those are dummy lobbies atm, but I put them in back during creation to show what we can actually do at even just the most basic level.

6KblN3Y.jpg

On the other channels i host, I have free music bots, bots that assist with streaming, as well as a host of quality of life things that people use for fun.

Edited by tfong

4 minutes ago, tfong said:

Don't understand why we don't use discord.

Like literally chat while mobile among other things.

Oh and its free...and with the various bots and add on's you can get.

Easier to be on the forum and just have chat there instead of using a different tab and having to flip though - or have an app for your phone.

That's my assumption.

If you can build discord in - very surprising SHL hasn't yet.. or GOMHL etc

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, Banackock said:

Easier to be on the forum and just have chat there instead of using a different tab and having to flip though - or have an app for your phone.

That's my assumption.

If you can build discord in - very surprising SHL hasn't yet.. or GOMHL etc

Are you seriously telling me that nobody here except for me uses multi tabs or has a screen big enough to see more than one window at a time?

Though, I'm not a good advocate for your cause. Back in the day, S2-23 when i was active crazy on SHL, LR's used to get like 200 pages at least a season in the LR. For the Steelhawks easily anyway. One season we had like 300+ PAGES. 

Now - maybe 2-5 POSTS a month for Toronto.. all thanks to shitty Discord. IMO, it ruined activity and took away huge shit from the site. 

Just now, tfong said:

Are you seriously telling me that nobody here except for me uses multi tabs or has a screen big enough to see more than one window at a time?

I'm on a Mac or a shitty HP. I forgot my password so Discord is only used on my phone lol.. 

only time more windows  does for me are open is when I'm updating my players on Mondays. 

• Head Moderator
3 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Though, I'm not a good advocate for your cause. Back in the day, S2-23 when i was active crazy on SHL, LR's used to get like 200 pages at least a season in the LR. For the Steelhawks easily anyway. One season we had like 300+ PAGES. 

Now - maybe 2-5 POSTS a month for Toronto.. all thanks to shitty Discord. IMO, it ruined activity and took away huge shit from the site. 

Don't think its because of chatting. I think its just the way people are phasing out of forum usage. But i mean you're talking about having a mobile app for chat support in the forum already, so I mean....

It wouldn't surprise me lets say if a game like this uses a portal like website and discord only, phasing out the need for a forum entirely. Especially if you can post directly to the website portal at some point. I mean heck your player stats and such at there as is everything else. If we're moving towards all the information being on the portal, what need will the forums be at some point?

Edited by tfong

• Head Moderator
7 minutes ago, Banackock said:

I'm on a Mac or a shitty HP. I forgot my password so Discord is only used on my phone lol.. 

only time more windows  does for me are open is when I'm updating my players on Mondays. 

I've logged into discord all of one time on this PC and I've been using discord since its inception. I probably don't even know what my password is tbh. The whole logging in is a pretty non existent issue I'd assume, unless you're the type to clean cookies every session, but then you're probably logging into a whole swash of things (VHL forum and portal as well) that why does discord with its added features even matter?

Edited by tfong

• Head Moderator

Also I posted in the other thread before.

https://titanembeds.com/

Is the embed made for website discord.

(Its actually just a bot that forwards messages from the website embed to the disc server, not an actual embed but for all intents and purposes, does the same thing you are asking.

Edited by tfong

21 minutes ago, tfong said:

Don't think its because of chatting. I think its just the way people are phasing out of forum usage. But i mean you're talking about having a mobile app for chat support in the forum already, so I mean....

It wouldn't surprise me lets say if a game like this uses a portal like website and discord only, phasing out the need for a forum entirely. Especially if you can post directly to the website portal at some point. I mean heck your player stats and such at there as is everything else. If we're moving towards all the information being on the portal, what need will the forums be at some point?

Oh yeah. My GM league I'm in runs off slack but those are two totally different things. VHL and a player sim league survives only with activity. GM leagues aren't always known to be super active. 

17 minutes ago, tfong said:

Also I posted in the other thread before.

https://titanembeds.com/

Is the embed made for website discord.

(Its actually just a bot that forwards messages from the website embed to the disc server, not an actual embed but for all intents and purposes, does the same thing you are asking.

Do both IMO then. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Chat said:

discord sucks because people arent auto logged into discord or dont think to go to that chat and forget and no one is ever there vs this chat actually has people

Auto login is the problem with current chat. With Discord, if I don't want to be on, I simply don't undergo any actions. Here, if I don't want to be on, I actually have to change that.

38 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Auto login is the problem with current chat. With Discord, if I don't want to be on, I simply don't undergo any actions. Here, if I don't want to be on, I actually have to change that.

Which we understand to be a very, very difficult, stressful and time consuming task. 

#FirstWorldProblems

1 minute ago, Banackock said:

Which we understand to be a very, very difficult, stressful and time consuming task. 

#FirstWorldProblems

The difficulty of the task has no bearing on the debate at hand. The debate at hand, or at least the debate I'm having, is whether the default position should be chat-on (a position seemingly supported by those who prefer onsite chat) or chat-off (a position seemingly supported by those who prefer discord or some other, external means of chat, or prefer no chat at all). It is equally simple to turn a chat on as it is to turn a chat off, so the difficulty of the task is a non sequitur. The debate, or the extent to which the debate has anything to do with the turning on or off of chat, is which side should shoulder the extra step. Whether the "default state" of a forum is to include chat, and therefore those who wish not to chat should shoulder the minor burden of turning it off, or whether the "default state" of a forum is without chat, and therefore those who wish to chat should shoulder the minor burden of opening a chat for themselves. I hold that forums as a general rule do not inherently include chat, and therefore my membership on said forum should not have to include turning off said chat.

Auto login is similar to auto anything else - how did people feel when that one line of iPhones automatically had a U2 album on them? They had to go through an additional step to attempt to remove said album, which was not part of their agreement to sign up for and purchase the phone, even if it wasn't "difficult" to remove. Or auto-renewal after a free trial, at full cost, of monthly or yearly subscriptions to things, unless an action is specifically undertaken to cancel? That is pretty much universally hated, as it's not part of the implied agreement of a "free" trial. If said trial is to be truly considered free, then one should not by default be paying for it, unless choosing to do so.

I'm not sure if this is an option, but ideally, I think the best and fairest thing would be to have chat (added functionality for those who want it) but with it defaulted to off unless choosing to be on. Nonetheless, I'll turn off the chat since it's so god damn important to Eagles - but I'm getting sick of having to defend it. If I don't want to chat, I'm not required to chat, it's that simple.

tl;dr mentioning the "difficulty" of the task is derailing the argument, difficulty has nothing to do with it

Discord is definitely superior and Chat on the forum, albeit nice, is overrated.

But if we went through the effort of bringing chat back to the forum I don't see the problem with putting it on mobile as well.