So excited I can barely contain myself

Spade18

I'm obviously here because I love hockey.

Unfortunately I have not been able to play for some years.

I played a little in college (nothing serious) but in, what turned out to be, my last game, I got hit from behind and slid into the boards feet first. my right skate got lodge in the boards and I crumpled onto it.  Broke toes, sprained ankle, ACL and MCL got messed up, tore my meniscus, popped out my hip, it was bad.  That was the last time I played organized hockey and that was in 2010.

Even to this day my leg is still a little wonky. But tonight, a few friends and I joined a floor hockey league, and our first game is at 6:30pm EST.  I'm playing goalie and I CANNOT CONTAIN HOW EXCITED I AM.  I'm a little over three hours out from finally getting to play the sport I love again and I cant focus on work and I just wanted to share it with you guys.

Wish me luck!

7 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

I'm obviously here because I love hockey.

Unfortunately I have not been able to play for some years.

I played a little in college (nothing serious) but in, what turned out to be, my last game, I got hit from behind and slid into the boards feet first. my right skate got lodge in the boards and I crumpled onto it.  Broke toes, sprained ankle, ACL and MCL got messed up, tore my meniscus, popped out my hip, it was bad.  That was the last time I played organized hockey and that was in 2010.

Even to this day my leg is still a little wonky. But tonight, a few friends and I joined a floor hockey league, and our first game is at 6:30pm EST.  I'm playing goalie and I CANNOT CONTAIN HOW EXCITED I AM.  I'm a little over three hours out from finally getting to play the sport I love again and I cant focus on work and I just wanted to share it with you guys.

Wish me luck!

I play floor twice a week and lacrosse once a week and I’m starting to like floor more than ice. It’s a hell of a lot harder cardio wise and less gear etc. more fun less competitive.

16 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I play floor twice a week and lacrosse once a week and I’m starting to like floor more than ice. It’s a hell of a lot harder cardio wise and less gear etc. more fun less competitive.

Yea we've been playing 3v3 or 4v4 and shooting on trash cans like once a week for maybe half a year, but I am a TRASH runner, so I'm super happy to be playing goalie, and I'm looking forward to us finally putting all this practice to good use.

I played one year organized, five years beer/industrial leagues(got my 3rd concussion during a game and had to quit) and played 28 years sponge hockey. I was visiting family in Edmonton two years ago and we played full equipment indoors.I hadn't been on skates in about ten years but I ended up being one of the better players in the game, and everyone was like "WTF" he's 50 and old!

There were only three others that were better than me, my cousin, a huge fuckin guy and some hot chick that played collegiate hockey. Made me feel good about myself. So yeah Spade I totally get it! Good for you!

10 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

I played one year organized, five years beer/industrial leagues(got my 3rd concussion during a game and had to quit) and played 28 years sponge hockey. I was visiting family in Edmonton two years ago and we played full equipment indoors.I hadn't been on skates in about ten years but I ended up being one of the better players in the game, and everyone was like "WTF" he's 50 and old!

There were only three others that were better than me, my cousin, a huge fuckin guy and some hot chick that played collegiate hockey. Made me feel good about myself. So yeah Spade I totally get it! Good for you!

I know the feeling.  I always talked up my love of hockey to this friend group, but I'm not the fastest runner so my skills didnt really shine when playing up.  When we figured out that we needed a goalie, I immediately jumped on the opportunity, and I know i surprised them when we practiced and I was making some pretty good saves.  So we finally got to the game and there were members of the team who were seeing me play net for the first time.

I showed up with about enough time to get my pads on, and as soon as I stepped on to warm up, the reff called the game to start, so I had to go in cold.  My team is tight so I didnt see my first shot until about 5 minutes in and we were up 1-0.  The guy shot it from the blue line and it bounced right before it got to me.  It was going 5 hole the whole way and I tried to save it with my legs like this   ___//                                                 \\___  and it went right through me.  The second one they crashed in from the right corner, and I left space, maybe the exact width of the ball between myself and the post after my first save, and they snuck it through to the middle of the crease and someone banged it home.  So I just felt shame for most of the first period.  but then I got on my horse, was a little warmed up, made a few nice glove saves, and didnt play like a total siv.  Shut them out for the rest of the game and learned my lesson about not showing up with time to warm up!  Hoping for more wins as we progress, but god damn it does it feel good to play hockey again.

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Whats sponge hockey?

Sponge hockey is pretty much regular NHL rules, except you use broom ball shoes instead of skates and wear no hockey equipment, with the exception of a mouth guard and hockey helmet( Head protection is usually mandatory now) 

Generally 15-20 min periods with non contact( it always happens though)and a ref. And its played on outdoor rinks.

When I first started in one league there were only 8 divisions of 8 teams per division. When the league finally folded there were 22 divisions, from co-ed non competitive to hard core competitive.

Just search sponge hockey on YouTube.

Edited by Exlaxchronicles

1 hour ago, tfong said:

So...ballhockey but with cleats on ice?

Close but no red ball, a regulation sized sponge puck and the shoes are like high tops with protection on the ankles with soles made of soft rubber.They usually have holes or tire tread patterns to whisk away the snow on the ice for better grip.They're made for the sport of broomball.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure no one cares, but I'm gonna keep y'all updated anyway.

Since the first game about a month ago, due to weather, we've only gotten another 1 and a half games in.

Week 2 got canceled, in week 3 we had a 7-6 win, where I let in 6 goals, but player much better.  Week 4 was canceled and week 5 we started our game, had a 2-1 lead with a minute and 40 seconds left in the second period, I was on FIRE making glove saves and diving stops.  Then lightning crashes about a mile away and they had to call the gave right before we got engulfed in a monsoon.  They haven't told us if the game counts or not yet, so I guess we'll find out?

This week should have been the last game of the regular season, but instead it will be our 3rd or 4th game.

We are 1 of 3 undefeated teams, and are going up against another undefeated team today (Net, Sticks, and Chill).  I'm nervous but excited!

I LOVE TO HOCKEY

• 3 weeks later...

So I havent updated in a while, but the playoffs start today so I'll get ALL OF MY MANY FOLLOWERS <.< <.< up to date.

Like I said in my last post.  I had my first shut out! and god damn it felt good.

After that, we only had one day left before the end of the regular season, and everyone still had 2 games to play.  So to make up, the league had everyone play 2 games in one day.  They did a good job of spacing everyone out.... except for us.  We had to play 2 games back to back.

We looked pretty good and were up 3-2 with a minute left in the game, but I could tell we were all thinking about the next game and I fucking let in a soft goal with 15 seconds left in the game.  By the rules, we were supposed to have a shoot out, but because the league was pressed for time, they called it a tie.

While a tie is fine, it felt like a loss to us... we thought we had it in the bag and had to trudge over to the 2nd rink with just enough time to get our 6 on the floor before the puck dropped.  to make matters worse, this was the team we were leading 2-1 before the game got called due to lightning.  Rather than have us play out the last 1:41 of the second, and then go into the third, they had us START THE WHOLE GAME OVER.  we were gassed and moral was low from the last second tie and we got LIT UP 7-2 for our only loss in the regular season.

So today we roll into the playoffs as the 2nd seed, and play a team we beat 7-6 earlier in the year.  It's just about 2 hours to puck drop and the butterflies are back.  It's playoff timeeeee!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

First round is over and out!

The Handzus Jobs came out with a 5-1 win!

it was a nail biter, with the 1st period ending 1-0 and the second ending 1-1, but my guys and gals put it all together in the 3rd and stretched the twine on the other goalie like there was no tomorrow. On top of all of that, two of our defensemen scored their first goals of the season!

I personally had a great game.  Made some nice saves, had a really good poke check, the only goal I let in was off a screened deflection THAT WAS TECHNICALLY A HIGH STICK AND SHOULDNT HAVE COUNTED.... but I digress.

Next week we play the team that has turned out to be our rivals. They're the only team who actually beat us in the last game (and were dick bags about it), so I'm really looking forward to taking it to them in our next game.

HNNNNG I LOVE ME SOME PLAYOFFS

On 4/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, Spade18 said:

That's a pretty serious deal, good to hear you came back as well as you did from that.

That's awesome @Spade18!

I haven't played outdoor floor hockey since university, but that shit is so fun! Especially on a day where there's a bit of a breeze, it can do some awesome stuff with the ball. I've scored on slapshots from my own zone that looked like they were going into the corner before physics and mother nature conspired to help me out a bit haha

6 hours ago, Quik said:

That's awesome @Spade18!

I haven't played outdoor floor hockey since university, but that shit is so fun! Especially on a day where there's a bit of a breeze, it can do some awesome stuff with the ball. I've scored on slapshots from my own zone that looked like they were going into the corner before physics and mother nature conspired to help me out a bit haha

both the best part.... and as goalie, the worst part

3 hours ago, Spade18 said:

both the best part.... and as goalie, the worst part

Haha yeah, can’t imagine that’s be fun for the guy in net

But yeah, outdoor ball is fun as hell. Happy for you to be able to play again!

HANDZUS JOBS WINS 3-1!!! WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO THE FINAL!!!!

It's getting to be a little story book, we're facing our rivals "One team, One goal" or the navy colored t-shirt team that we were beating, got rained out, then they stomped us during the second game of a double header.

THE ANTICIPATION.  THE STRESS.  THE THRILL.

I LOVE TO HOCKEY