S59 Hall of Fame Induction

Beketov

• Commissioner

RW - Theo Axelsson, S50-S57  :cal::hel: 

RS: 576 GP, 331 G, 388 A, 719 P, +420, 989 PIM, 2729 HIT, 194 SB, 80 GW

PO: 65 GP, 40 G, 34 A, 74 P, +9, 128 PIM, 315 HIT, 23 SB, 10 GW

S55 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S54 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S56 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

S57 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

Two Continental Cups (S54, S55)

C - Aleksi Koponen, S45-S52 :hel::que::cal: 

RS: 576 GP, 338 G, 489 A, 827 P, +424, 429 PIM, 1024 HIT, 248 SB, 64 GW, 62.38 FO%

PO: 66 GP, 30 G, 46 A, 76 P, +9, 27 PIM, 76 HIT, 33 SB, 7 GW

S51 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

Two Continental Cups (S45, 46)

Axelsson barely missed the Hall of Fame last season, needing a tie-breaking vote before inevitably pushing Tom Lincoln into the hall instead. There was no doubt this season that @solas would be receiving his just place in the Hall of Fame with Theo Axelsson. One of the most dominate two-way players to step onto VHL ice of this decade Axelsson took home three Boulet trophies; narrowly missing out on 4 straight with the loss in S55. However that trophy loss was certainly made up with the Continental Cup won the same Season, his team’s second consecutive, along with the playoff MVP trophy Axelsson took home. Since S51 no player has recorded more hits than Axelsson which is a marvellous feat considering he sits 5th in points within that same time-span. Truly a two-way player if the VHL has ever seen one and truly a well-deserved spot in the Hall of Fame.

Another first for the Hall of Fame this season as @Will see's his first player enter the Hall of Fame, Centre Aleksi Koponen. While his award cabinet may not be the most full he does boast back to back Continental Cups with the Helsinki titans (another trend of this induction it seems) in S45 and 46; his rookie and sophomore seasons, as well as a Szatkowski trophy in S51. The shallow award cabinet cannot overshadow how dominant a force Koponen was on the ice; however. 1.4 Points per game over his 576 career games and a staggering 62% faceoff percentage and +424 to boot. Koponen was a driving force behind the Helsinki powerhouse of the mid-40’s, even if he was young at the time, and drove his dominance home in later seasons with Quebec and Calgary. Now he takes his rightful place among the stars in the VHL Hall of Fame.

Builder: @Smarch

Ask Smarch if he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame as a builder and he’ll likely tell you no. In fact last season he made that clear to the voters of the BOG but that did not deter them in voting for him this season. He may be too humble to admit it but Smarch has made an impact in the VHL over his many years here. His stint as league commissioner may have been short but as a VHLM commissioner and GM, as well as now a global mod, Smarch has left a lasting legacy on many young players to set foot through the doors of the VHL. For making the community a better place and always offering a humble, yet different, insight Smarch takes his rightful place in the VHL Builder’s Hall of Fame.

Congratulations to all three new entrants in the Hall of Fame!

HOF Voting Results

Theo Axelsson - 9/10

Aleksi Koponen - 7/10

Jakab Holik - 1/10

Tyson Kohler - 0/10

Wesley Kellinger - 0/10

Mike Szatkowski Jr. - 0/10

Smarch - 7/9

• Senior Admin

Hard to believe I've nearly been through another career since Koponen retired, seems like it wasn't that long ago at all. Happy to finally have some HOF rep!

:wub:

The main goal of my career with Axelsson (and honestly much of my time in the VHL).  I'm not as active as I once was, and I don't know if I ever will be, but I'm very glad to see this.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, and congrats to @Will and @Smarch.

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, solas said:

:wub:

The main goal of my career with Axelsson (and honestly much of my time in the VHL).  I'm not as active as I once was, and I don't know if I ever will be, but I'm very glad to see this.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, and congrats to @Will and @Smarch.

You have seriously no clue how close you were to being first ballot; I’ve never seen a HoF vote need a tie-breaker. No doubt at all it was deserved this season.