A GM Timeline

Higgins

For my own future reference I created this timeline to just see how many seasons here I have been a GM of some sort, VHLM, WC, and VHL. This is an all encompassing timeline and doesn't break down any win-loss records, championships, draft picks, trades or awards. This is strictly a timeline. A timeline to show where I've put the most time helping to build teams.

5 Seasons as VHLM GM

It started with the Oslo Storm for 5 seasons. The VHLM GM experience was quite different back then, but drafting and trading were a big part of the league as well as showing you were capable of dealing with a roster of real life personalities, so it was still very similar. A solid beginning grounds to learn the league, the sim, and build relationships.

6 Seasons as World Cup GM

Mixed throughout the timeline I had 6 total chances to GM for Team Canada during the World Cup, 2 times early on, and 4 times later on. It was always fun to build a team from all the available players and control lines for a 1-2 week period, in hopes that we could get that luck and win a gold medal.

18 Seasons as VHL GM

Two major stretches of time with the Helsinki Titans will define my GM timeline. The funny thing about the two different tenures is that the teams were so polar opposite from each other.

The first tenure (S30-36; 7 seasons) was the best regular season team built in the history of the league to that point, but failed to win in the playoffs, it took many playoff disappointments before winning. That team was also easy to cheer for, the members on the team were all well liked around the VHL community as a whole and the Titans were seen as a perfect example of a VHL team.

The second tenure (S51-S60; 10 seasons) was quite a lot different. Coming quickly off a rebuild the team was able to win back-to-back championships and found early playoff success, as well as regular season success. I can easily say the team was not well liked, in fact the Helsinki Titans took on a villainous role in the league during my second tenure. The majority of the key players on the team were controversial, spoke their minds and defended themselves and teammates through and through. I think this is what helped me be able to do the GM job all over again, it was a whole new experience and the total opposite of the first run I had with the Helsinki Titans.

Aside from winning, the one constant from the two different tenures of the Helsinki GM was having a right hand man. Someone to bounce ideas off, for trades, free agency, drafts, lines, teammates, and even just the random bullshit that has nothing to do with being a VHL GM, that you could 100% trust. Once you lose that connection, the GM position really loses it's appeal for me. I was extremely lucky to have someone like that for both long tenures as Titans GM, which is why the teams were always so successful through 17 total seasons.

Now to present time, the team has all 1st round draft picks and will be able to go back to contending for championships in 3 seasons if the next GM isn't a complete seagull. With the great draft picks coming up I could have stayed as GM and restarted the cycle, but I don't want to anymore. The league took away both my right hand man and core of the team. Now being a GM is boring after abruptly losing that one person to talk to regarding team moves that I knew was as (or more) commitment as myself for the Helsinki Titans success. We had great plans for the future of the Titans into the 60's, but it's not possible anymore.

A GM Timeline

S25 - :osl: Oslo Storm (VHLM)

S26 - :osl: Oslo Storm (VHLM) & :can: Team Canada (WC)

S27 - :osl: Oslo Storm (VHLM)

S28 - :osl: Oslo Storm (VHLM) & :can: Team Canada (WC)

S29 - :osl: Oslo Storm (VHLM)

S30 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S31 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S32 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S33 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S34 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S35 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S36 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S37 - N/A

S38 - N/A

S39 - N/A

S40 - N/A

S41 - N/A

S42 - N/A

S43 - :sea: Seattle Bears (VHL)

S44 - N/A

S45 - N/A

S46 - :can: Team Canada (WC)

S47 - N/A

S48 - :can: Team Canada (WC)

S49 - N/A

S50 - :can: Team Canada (WC)

S51 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S52 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL) & :can: Team Canada (WC)

S53 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S54 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S55 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S56 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S57 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S58 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S59 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

S60 - :hel: Helsinki Titans (VHL)

• Commissioner

The league didn’t take away anyone, he did it to himself. He was given far more warnings than he deserved and knew what he was doing. If you somehow didn’t see the writing on the wall that’s fine but don’t blame the league for removing a member who needed to go.

12 minutes ago, Beketov said:

The league didn’t take away anyone, he did it to himself. He was given far more warnings than he deserved and knew what he was doing. If you somehow didn’t see the writing on the wall that’s fine but don’t blame the league for removing a member who needed to go.

That's fine. At the same time that doesn't mean the decision didn't negatively affect anyone. I can accept it happened, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Commissioner
38 minutes ago, Higgins said:

That's fine. At the same time that doesn't mean the decision didn't negatively affect anyone. I can accept it happened, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I’m not remotely saying you have to like it. But your comments came off as if the league somehow completely screwed you when, in reality, your right hand man screwed himself.

28 minutes ago, Lucky 2 Times said:

You also lost the goalie who could have been with the team for 2 more seasons but you neglected to talk with anyone about your plans to either continue competing or to rebuild.

You retired as usual, I expected it at some point and had my homeboy Jacob come in without missing a beat.

11 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Youve done a great job as GM/Simmer sad to see you step down. Helsinki will be different without you at the Helm

You should take over

7 hours ago, Beketov said:

This is what I came in here to say. The league didn't "take away" anyone... Boubs did it all on his own.

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

This is what I came in here to say. The league didn't "take away" anyone... Boubs did it all on his own.

Fuck it dude only 2 people ever permabanned both on The powerhouse Helsinki Team. We were too good.

15 hours ago, Higgins said:

You retired as usual, I expected it at some point and had my homeboy Jacob come in without missing a beat.

It wasn't as usual. You failed to contact myself or Boubabi about what was going on with the team. I decided to make a decision because you didn't respond to either of us for quite a couple weeks so I wasn't trying to wait around for a decision that was clearly never coming. Also odd how I had around 100+ TPE more yet you had better attributes. Something don't add up right. :th_costanzaWTF110height:

2 hours ago, Lucky 2 Times said:

It wasn't as usual. You failed to contact myself or Boubabi about what was going on with the team. I decided to make a decision because you didn't respond to either of us for quite a couple weeks so I wasn't trying to wait around for a decision that was clearly never coming. Also odd how I had around 100+ TPE more yet you had better attributes. Something don't add up right. :th_costanzaWTF110height:

You wanted me to beg you not to retire. Screw that. I had a more stable goalie I could trust waiting anyways, and wouldn't need to do damage control with every time they got a loss. So it actually all worked out very well for us.

1 hour ago, Higgins said:

You wanted me to beg you not to retire. Screw that. I had a more stable goalie I could trust waiting anyways, and wouldn't need to do damage control with every time they got a loss. So it actually all worked out very well for us.

Nah I just wanted an active GM is all. You can think I was asking for you to beg, but I just wanted you to do you damn job. Also lmao damage control for what? You really are a decently funny guy. Oh also guess the whole "I had a more stable goalie I could trust" and "it actually worked out very well for us" didn't really work out so well for you now did it ;)

5 minutes ago, Lucky 2 Times said:

Nah I just wanted an active GM is all. You can think I was asking for you to beg, but I just wanted you to do you damn job. Also lmao damage control for what? You really are a decently funny guy. Oh also guess the whole "I had a more stable goalie I could trust" and "it actually worked out very well for us" didn't really work out so well for you now did it ;)

It worked out great signing Jacob to be the goalie? We finished top 2 in the regular season and made the finals game 7. Although that's just a cherry on top, the best part was not having to deal with your whining after losing a one game in a 72 game season and trying to mitigate your retirements. It's just tiresome and boring after so long.

9 minutes ago, Higgins said:

It worked out great signing Jacob to be the goalie? We finished top 2 in the regular season and made the finals game 7. Although that's just a cherry on top, the best part was not having to deal with your whining after losing a one game in a 72 game season and trying to mitigate your retirements. It's just tiresome and boring after so long.

My whining? LMAO you still trying with the same jokes I see. They are getting stale now. Maybe if you did your job, I would have been around longer. It's a shame that someone else on the team had to step up and do YOUR duties because you FAILED to communicate with anyone. Also the "jacob thing" was a failure. You still lost so get over yourself because in the end, I was better for the team. It's hard to admit defeat I see Higgins, must suck to suck huh?

5 minutes ago, Lucky 2 Times said:

My whining? LMAO you still trying with the same jokes I see. They are getting stale now. Maybe if you did your job, I would have been around longer. It's a shame that someone else on the team had to step up and do YOUR duties because you FAILED to communicate with anyone. Also the "jacob thing" was a failure. You still lost so get over yourself because in the end, I was better for the team. It's hard to admit defeat I see Higgins, must suck to suck huh? 

You literally started claiming welfare in your 5th season as a goalie and threatened to retire every other week. Of course I would rather have my own goalie who was better. You wanted me to get on my knees and beg you to not retire, but I didn't care anymore because I knew I had the option to sign my own goalie who was better and much more stable. You clearly are still sour about making the mistake of retiring, you came in here and initiated by spreading fake news.

41 minutes ago, Higgins said:

You literally started claiming welfare in your 5th season as a goalie and threatened to retire every other week. Of course I would rather have my own goalie who was better. You wanted me to get on my knees and beg you to not retire, but I didn't care anymore because I knew I had the option to sign my own goalie who was better and much more stable. You clearly are still sour about making the mistake of retiring, you came in here and initiated by spreading fake news.

Nah just like rubbing in that you lost because you had the inferior goalie. I never "threatened" to retire every other week. I do regret retiring my goalie but I was fixing to leave anyways. I wanted to go to a team that actually HAD a GM. #RealNews