Vesto Slipher Press Conference

I'm under the impression that this is a good way to improve, so here I am. I still have plenty of questions regarding the VHL, but if anybody has any questions for me I'd be happy to answer them.

1. Welcome back! Things have changed quite a bit from when you were last here, how do you feel about the new direction of the league?

2. Going into the VHLM Draft, is there a specific team you'd prefer to play for?

3. What do you think is your biggest asset that will separate you from your peers in your upcoming draft season?

6 hours ago, Quik said:

1. Welcome back! Things have changed quite a bit from when you were last here, how do you feel about the new direction of the league?

2. Going into the VHLM Draft, is there a specific team you'd prefer to play for?

3. What do you think is your biggest asset that will separate you from your peers in your upcoming draft season?

Thank you very much for the questions.

First, I don't know if I have much of a true feel of the league just yet, but everything seems to be going good. Contraction was a necessity back before I left, and being able to drop the VHLM down to five teams is huge. It seems like there's a good influx of new people coming into the league as well as a random flood of old-timers like myself returning (I'm not sure if there was an effort to make that happen, I just came back on a whim). It also seems like there was a directed effort to make it less of a grind to be here, which makes since since most of us are in our late 20's or early 30's by this point and we all have a lot more going on than we did ten years ago. It works for me.

I wouldn't say that I have a big preference for a team right now. Ottawa and Oslo are the only ones run by guys I've been on a team with before (I think), so they're probably my top two right now, but honestly I'm fine with whatever team I end up on. I just hope it's active to help me get a sense of how things are really going around here these days.

I don't know much about anybody else in the VHLM draft with me right now. Unless there's some newer blood that's been tearing it up since I've been gone, or someone recreated that I missed, I think I have something of a track record that shows I can produce when I'm into it. That said, I also have a track record that shows I'm prone to bailing at inopportune times, so it's a double-edged sword, but that shouldn't matter much in the VHLM draft. If anything, that'd be an asset.

• Commissioner

1. Assuming you keep up your early activity, you could be a favourite to go early in Season 62. Do you think you would be worthy?

2. Based on the absolute lack of knowledge you have right now, who takes the Founder’s Cup this season / next season?

3. If you were to pick one other former member to come back and join your draft class, who would it be?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, more questions!

On 5/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, omgitshim said:

1.) What sort of player do you envision yourself becoming?

2.) What part of the USA does Slipher hail from?

3.) Who you got in the VHL championship this season?

1) My top skills are skating, scoring, and puck handling at this point. While I may turn into a more well-rounded player at some point down the road, at this point I'm fairly one-dimensional as a scorer. But hey, that's what the minors are for, right?

2) Vesto Slipher was born November 11, 2000, in Mulberry, Indiana. He is named for the astronomer Vesto Slipher, who was among the first to discover the redshift in distant galaxies that prove the Universe is currently still expanding.

3) If I had caught this when you posted it, and knowing the bare-bones about the league that I know right now, I probably would have said Helsinki given the strength of their goaltending and Franchise Cornerstone. Now that I know the outcome, I'll stick with my prediction.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:36 AM, Beketov said:

1. Assuming you keep up your early activity, you could be a favourite to go early in Season 62. Do you think you would be worthy?

2. Based on the absolute lack of knowledge you have right now, who takes the Founder’s Cup this season / next season?

3. If you were to pick one other former member to come back and join your draft class, who would it be?

1) I'd like to think I would be worthy, but getting drafted is the easy part, isn't it? Really, though, my two most consistent players (Brock Waldron and Alex Stoyanovich) were both late-firsts, while I went all-out to get Clint Guite drafted first overall only to bail on him after two or three seasons. I'm kind of a wild-card, but I like to think that even if things turn south for me I could at least provide some welfare TPE this time around.

2) Turku this season, Minot next year.

3) My default pick for this would be @JardyB10 so we could record a follow-up to our God-awful three-hour podcast that only got us five points because it was a train wreck. Aside from him, I would say the Knight brothers, since they both just seemed like really cool guys who could keep things running well no matter what role they served in.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Since your back into the VHL fold again, are you planning on sticking it out for the long run this time?

2. Do you base your creations on actual hockey players style of play or is it just random builds?

3. Have you ever played hockey in real life?

4. Has any of your previous creations won any awards, be it personal or team trophies?

5. When did you first join here and last leave and what was your reason for bailing?

12 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

1. Since your back into the VHL fold again, are you planning on sticking it out for the long run this time?

2. Do you base your creations on actual hockey players style of play or is it just random builds?

3. Have you ever played hockey in real life?

4. Has any of your previous creations won any awards, be it personal or team trophies?

5. When did you first join here and last leave and what was your reason for bailing?

1) I don't know what the long run entails anymore, but I don't have any plans to go entirely inactive. At worst, I can claim welfare and still put forth a solid player. My reasons for leaving aren't really all that prevalent anymore, so I'm fine with continuing to contribute however I can.

2) I go with whatever happens to capture my interest at the time. I've been active with a playmaking center, a defensive defenseman, and a goalie, so I figured this time I'd try to be active with a scoring winger. I tried it before with Felix Leiter, but I couldn't stick with him...I'm pretty sure Slipher already has more TPE than Leiter ever had.

3) Just street hockey when I was a kid. I can't skate to save my life, even on roller blades.

4) I've won three Continental Cups and at least one Founder's Cup, but I was only active for the Founder's Cup with Waldron. He won best goalie and playoff MVP that season, and I won top GM in VHLM way back in Season 17. The only individual trophy I ever touched in the VHL was the Virkkunen in Season 20, which Alex Stoyanovich split with Markus Strauss.

5) My first player was a goalie way back in Season 7, but my first active player was Stoyanovich, who was drafted in Season 16. I left Stockton out to dry because I just didn't have the time and I wanted to leave the VHL in the past, but I don't really feel the need to keep it in my past anymore, so I'll be around.

Thank you very much for the questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  1. Did you know it's actually 5 questions asked to get 1 TPE? (You can ask me some questions to make up for it :))
  2. Do you have a favourite VHL team?
  3. If you could be any animal in the world for a year, but that animal would go extinct after the year is up (you go back to being you again), which animal would it be?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 2:12 PM, Quik said:
  1. Did you know it's actually 5 questions asked to get 1 TPE? (You can ask me some questions to make up for it :))
  2. Do you have a favourite VHL team?
  3. If you could be any animal in the world for a year, but that animal would go extinct after the year is up (you go back to being you again), which animal would it be?

1) I did, that's why I asked six. Thanks for keeping me honest, though...much appreciated.

2) Not really. I probably had my best run in the league with Riga, and I had a strong few seasons in Quebec with Waldron. I've never been on New York, so I would like to play for them at some point more than any other team, but as far as a generic favorite I don't have one.

3) I don't want any animals to go extinct because of me, but I want to avoid a cop-out answer even more. If we're assuming that I'm surviving the whole year, I'd go with a falcon or some other kind of bird that can fly really fast. I have a fear of heights, but if I were a bird I doubt I'd care much and I could just enjoy things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Hybrid1486

1.) How did it feel going all the way to the championship your rookie season?

2.) Do you think you guys can seal the deal next season?

3.) Do you expect to receive more playing time next season?

4.) What part of your game are you working on the most this off-season?

5.) Which of your teammates is most annoying in the locker room?

6.) What's your power meal before a game?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Playing next to Rauno Palo, what is that like?

2.  Got 8 goals so far in 17 games, happy on the way you have started the season?

3. Honest comment on the fact that we played 4 games in row against Riga to start the year, traveling between two countries and sitting in planes for over 12 hours?

4. Who is the most annoying defender in VHL to play against?

5. Do fans  and people in general recognize you when you walk around Quebec?

• 1 month later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Hybrid1486

I should start answering these...

On 10/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, omgitshim said:

@Hybrid1486

1.) How did it feel going all the way to the championship your rookie season?

2.) Do you think you guys can seal the deal next season?

3.) Do you expect to receive more playing time next season?

4.) What part of your game are you working on the most this off-season?

5.) Which of your teammates is most annoying in the locker room?

6.) What's your power meal before a game?

1) It was pretty awesome. We didn't have a whole lot of high expectations for our squad in Season 62, but our front office made some great moves and we were able to put together a well-balanced squad that was surprisingly efficient defensively given the offensive explosion in that season. It sucks that we couldn't win that Game 7, but I still have plenty of time to get there again.

2) At the beginning of the season (when you actually asked) I would have said yes. Even with the rough finish to our season, it's still not out of the question. Half the battle is staying alive, and we're still alive in the postseason. Our offense remains somewhat suspect, but anything can happen in a series like we're in.

3) I did, and I'm glad that it came to me. We had a loaded roster last year, both in quality and quantity. With management trying to roll three full lines, there just wasn't a whole lot of playing time to go around. That improved this year, and as a result I think my play improved a lot. Did our team get better? Maybe. Hard to say.

4) Defense. Defense, defense, defense. Defense. My focus since the end of the last postseason was to catch up my abilities as a two-way player, and I spent all offseason and most of the regular season working on joining the rest of the team as a good defensive player. I think I'm at an acceptable level at this point, so moving forward I'm going to try to improve my skating ability on top of that.

5) I'll be perfectly honest: I'm not much of a locker room presence. I'm just here to become a better player and help my team win games. That said, I tend to get annoyed when I try to read the box scores and everything is skewed because of Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette and his excessive hyphenation.

6) Chicken. I love me some chicken. Fried, grilled, rotisserie, baked, you name it. Usually I like it with some sauce, but even plain is just fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Rauno Palo, your teammate has started to work on his passing game, does that make you feel all kinds of good?

2. What you think was the biggest reason on why Quebec did not make it into finals this year?

3. Christmas is coming up soon, got any plans?

4. What is your comment on the fact that I also eat chicken, but I always buy the one that is on the premade marinade sauce thing?

5. If there was toothpaste that tastes like chicken, would you use it? Your breathe would smell like it for at least 3 hours after you use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing my quest to answer questions that were asked two months ago...

On 10/29/2018 at 3:54 PM, jRuutu said:

1. Playing next to Rauno Palo, what is that like?

2.  Got 8 goals so far in 17 games, happy on the way you have started the season?

3. Honest comment on the fact that we played 4 games in row against Riga to start the year, traveling between two countries and sitting in planes for over 12 hours?

4. Who is the most annoying defender in VHL to play against?

5. Do fans  and people in general recognize you when you walk around Quebec?

1) It was fun while it lasted. Palo and I came into the league at the same time with back-to-back picks, and we've established ourselves as two of the better players from the Season 62 draft. I'm going to miss playing alongside him, but I understand the economics of the league. I hope he'll continue to rock out to Hall and Oates for the rest of his career.

2) I was moderately happy with the way the season started, but pretty disappointed with how it finished. I expected to take a big leap forward in Season 63, both personally and as part of a Meute championship run. Obviously the second part didn't work out, and from a personal standpoint the jump was pretty modest. Hopefully both aspects turn around this season in Helsinki (no offense).

3) Plane rides suck. I don't know who came up with the schedule, but the travel is a killer. The food is crap and neck pillows are useless. Maybe I could have started out a bit better if I didn't have to deal with so much neck pain from those stupid flights.

4) I always hated going up against Colton Rayne in practice, and now I'm going to be playing against him for real. I can't imagine that's going to be pleasant. I know his career is winding down, but he can still bring the heat and he'll be a pain to play against in his final season.

5) It's finny...they always think I look like someone else. I could walk through the stores without being mobbed, but whenever kids asked for my autograph they called me Mr. Sakic. I might look like him a little bit, but come on...we don't even play the same style of hockey.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:55 PM, Banackock said:

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

6) Hmm...see, despite playing for Quebec for two seasons I don't know a ton about Justin Trudeau aside from the fact that he seems like he should be a total douchebag but isn't. Trump, on the other hand, I know far too much about.

I'll say that Trudeau's weapon of choice is gun control and the GST, and Trump's is a steadfast belief that he's already won despite not throwing a punch and showing up an hour late because he went to the wrong location. The fight will be decided early on, when Melania gives her husband a bottle of water from Flint and he keels over vomiting before suffering an acute case of lead poisoning. Trudeau doesn't even have to do anything, and he's got a hot new side bitch now.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you happy with Vesto performance so far?

Are surprised by Helsinki so-so start?

Are you hoping for getting more playing time in future?

Do you hope your GM trades out a couple of forwards cause your team has 9 so far?

Do you plan to hit FA next offseason?

Which is more active team, Quebec or Helsinki?

Is there any meaning behind your player name?

Do you plan to play all 8 seasons?

• 1 month later...

Answering with hindsight perspective...

On 1/7/2019 at 8:34 AM, hedgehog337 said:

Are you happy with Vesto performance so far?

Are surprised by Helsinki so-so start?

Do you plan to hit FA next offseason?

Which is more active team, Quebec or Helsinki?

Is there any meaning behind your player name?

Do you plan to play all 8 seasons?

1) Not really, no. I was hoping he would be a standout, but he's barely been a blip on the VHL's radar through three seasons. Part of that could be that the teams he's been on have been so deep as to force him to blend in more, and hopefully adding a ninth team will allow things to be spread a bit thinner (but not too thin), but I'm not particularly attached to him at this point.

2) I was. I've come to realize that a "deep" team isn't necessarily a "better" team, but with the talent we had I was hoping we'd have been able to win a few more games earlier on. Fortunately, we were able to get it together around the halfway point and eventually make the finals, but it would have been nicer to start winning a bit sooner.

3) I was pretty much set on it, until my GM came to me with a very agreeable offer. This time around, I can guarantee that I'm not signing an extension past this coming season...of course, if I retire early, then I suppose I won't be hitting FA, but who knows.

4) I would say there was a fair amount of activity in both locker rooms. I felt that I was probably more active in Helsinki, but both teams had a fair amount of chatter going on.

5) Vesto Slipher was an astronomer who played a heavy role in figuring out the Big Bang, especially that the Universe is expanding. You can find out more about him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7Ix2VQEGo&t=374s ...but I just liked the name.

6) Let me put it this way: I will be very surprised if Slipher is around for S69.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Another slow start. the remake of S64 incoming?

2. How many seasons left for Slipher?

3. Do you still plan make a goalie as a recreate?

4. who is more fav player - Stoyanovich or Waldron?

5. Which city you want to see as the next expansion team?

6. How it comes that Vesto only posted 15 hits with 70 checking?