3 hours ago, Higgins said:

Sure it's a lopsided trade, but he had no other option really. There's no one to trade with, trust me I know.

Yep I was drunk chatting with a few guys on my team and realized no one else competing had any assets so I could basically get what I wanted for as little as I was willing to pay. Sucks for Bana but if the market is bad there's not much you can do about it. Even if he had waited until next season I doubt any lottery teams would be buying.

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

Honestly with the first overall pick I think you probably could have managed another season if competing and then maybe gotten a better market but ultimately the decision was yours. If you’re willing to take the L on this deal and think it should better for your guys that’s your choice to make.

One more season and then what? Likely would have lost Johnsson this off-season and replaced him with AAR. Then i would have lost Quill, Federov, Gretzky, King to retirement next year. 

Either way, it's a loss. We're starting the rebuild now. That's fine and great. Many teams have started in much worse positions. 

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Yep I was drunk chatting with a few guys on my team and realized no one else competing had any assets so I could basically get what I wanted for as little as I was willing to pay. Sucks for Bana but if the market is bad there's not much you can do about it. Even if he had waited until next season I doubt any lottery teams would be buying.

Also, this. Be fuck all next year too but MAYBE a little more. Though and again, we'd be hit with retirement.

Ive come to terms with the deal. I helped out McAll and Axelsson and have another deal in place to help out Kendrick and a few other guys. Very deserving members to not have slumps careers or be forced to retire or play on shit (Kendrick, as a goalie, especially). That's what this site is all about sometimes and I were here to have the best time possible. I ensured that in all or most members this season :) 

so its like a 75% loss, 25% win but think we'll come out of it. Markets shit and don't think that'll change for sometime. 

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

One more season and then what? Likely would have lost Johnsson this off-season and replaced him with AAR. Then i would have lost Quill, Federov, Gretzky, King to retirement next year. 

Either way, it's a loss. We're starting the rebuild now. That's fine and great. Many teams have started in much worse positions. 

I’m not saying you were in a great spot, I get that. Gotta rebuild sometime and neither option is great. I just think you could have had a competitive team going for 1 more next season, that’s all.

5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

To be fair, replacing MJ with AAR wouldn't have been a huge drop next season. Given that Helsinki is losing pretty much everyone, Seattle would have been #2 contender if you kept everyone. Sign McAllister to an extension and you'd get the exact same return, but one more season of contending.

Is the return you're going to get for those 4 really worth another shot at the Cup? 1st Overall + Next season's return for McAllister + Your GM Player...your timeline would be the exact same as if you kept everyone that was on a contract, added AAR (and probably one more since depreciation will bring his cost down), and competed for next season.

3 minutes ago, Quik said:

To be fair, replacing MJ with AAR wouldn't have been a huge drop next season. Given that Helsinki is losing pretty much everyone, Seattle would have been #2 contender if you kept everyone. Sign McAllister to an extension and you'd get the exact same return, but one more season of contending.

Is the return you're going to get for those 4 really worth another shot at the Cup? 1st Overall + Next season's return for McAllister + Your GM Player...your timeline would be the exact same as if you kept everyone that was on a contract, added AAR (and probably one more since depreciation will bring his cost down), and competed for next season.

Probably. Yes. Same results in my opinion. Same thing. NYA has the cup next year. Calgary is good too. Wasn't worth being one of the two underdogs in my eyes for "one last push". 

15 minutes ago, Quik said:

Sign McAllister to an extension and you'd get the exact same return, but one more season of contending.

To be perfectly honest, this would have been a tough sell. I originally signed through S61 explicitly for the reason that I'd be there until S54 guys retired, then I could figure out what I wanted in FA. If he was getting value from me, now was the time to do it. More a question of whether that's worth one more run at the cup.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

Fair enough, I wasn’t sure where you stood on extending. I still look at it as basically the cost of renting you then. Another season of contention at the cost of a 4th overall pick and whatever odds and ends he’ll get for those others...when you already have 1st and a new GM player coming through. Idk, seems like it would have been a decent opportunity to keep the window open one more season. 

• Commissioner
22 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Mostly because no one ever actually uses them

To be fair people do but it’s usually before the trade itself. Like generally a GM won’t bother trading someone with a NTC unless they’ve checked that the destination is fine first.

• Victor changed the title to SEA/DAV ; S60 off-season
  • Will locked this topic