All-Time GM stats

Banackock

@Will What are the chances of us getting this together somehow on the portal or on the site (like we have for players. Career stats, most wins, most goal categories etc). I'm honestly surprised this isn't a thing and think it would be great thing to have in the HoF section too for the portal. See where you stack up against other GM's and may have new guys a little interested in maybe becoming a GM one day too to crush some organization records.

I don't think it would be really too hard to do. Figure out who was GM when and where and add the shit up. If whoever is in charge is feeling lazy, get GM's to pile up their stats and pay them or pay someone else to do the job.. say a free week to do it? @Beketov

I'm aware of my stats, for the most part. I think, if not mistaken, I'm missing a piece of a season where Mike disappeared. Be cool to see where you line up overall against all GM's, and then individually for a given team (Where I rank for Seattle etc).

• Senior Admin

It's doable but the amount of work required will depend how comprehensive you want to be. 

It would be very easy for the seasons that I have databases for (approx S49 and beyond). But, I assume you would want further than that - back to as far as we have index's for. So in that case, someone would have to be willing to compile all the team stats that I don't have a database for in something like a spreadsheet so I could write the stats to the database easily. 

The best way would to be to have one database table of all team stats for each season, and then there could just be a separate table to define GM tenures and then you just add up the specified seasons. That way you can use the same team stats table for other things (like showing overall team stats), which I planned on doing anyways. 

So yeah if someone is willing to compile such a spreadsheet, it can be done. 

16 minutes ago, Will said:

It's doable but the amount of work required will depend how comprehensive you want to be. 

It would be very easy for the seasons that I have databases for (approx S49 and beyond). But, I assume you would want further than that - back to as far as we have index's for. So in that case, someone would have to be willing to compile all the team stats that I don't have a database for in something like a spreadsheet so I could write the stats to the database easily. 

The best way would to be to have one database table of all team stats for each season, and then there could just be a separate table to define GM tenures and then you just add up the specified seasons. That way you can use the same team stats table for other things (like showing overall team stats), which I planned on doing anyways. 

So yeah if someone is willing to compile such a spreadsheet, it can be done. 

Hmm... Maybe this is something I could do... 

Can I get a free week next week for one of my recreates? ?

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Hmm... Maybe this is something I could do... 

Can I get a free week next week for one of my recreates? ?

Sure. But wait until tomorrow so I can tell you exactly what the spreadsheet needs to include 

9 minutes ago, Banackock said:

So it seems S17 and present is good - so that's what will be on the spreadsheet. I should have asked for more pay... ?

If you need help with S1-16, I do have a recollection of some of it

3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

If you need help with S1-16, I do have a recollection of some of it

That would be cool.

I mean, it shouldn't be a secret and I'm up for critiscism  and making it better sooo...

Obviously, just started and eating supper with a drink. It'll likely take a week or two.

Edited by Banackock

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Admin

@Banackock OK, sorry, been spending all my time working on the updating system. Here's what I would require to make this work:

I don't need compiled stats for each GM. What I need is TEAM STATS for each season. Then, I we can simply assign a GM to each season based off the all-time GM list and we the Portal can add all their seasons together itself. I already these team stats for S49 and beyond. 

So what I would need is a spreadsheet that looks like this and goes from S18-S48 for playoffs and regular seasons:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vxHrG_6OICBCTrPvGD9ppbZyDtJwnhb1aRQF8GdQO7E/edit?usp=sharing

(I just got the GM's from here). 

But that would be a lot of work for one person, 60 seasons worth of stats by the time you do playoffs and regular season. Might be better to make the spreadsheet open to all and give anyone who wants to help a TPE per season entered? 

5 hours ago, Will said:

@Banackock OK, sorry, been spending all my time working on the updating system. Here's what I would require to make this work:

I don't need compiled stats for each GM. What I need is TEAM STATS for each season. Then, I we can simply assign a GM to each season based off the all-time GM list and we the Portal can add all their seasons together itself. I already these team stats for S49 and beyond. 

So what I would need is a spreadsheet that looks like this and goes from S18-S48 for playoffs and regular seasons:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vxHrG_6OICBCTrPvGD9ppbZyDtJwnhb1aRQF8GdQO7E/edit?usp=sharing

(I just got the GM's from here). 

But that would be a lot of work for one person, 60 seasons worth of stats by the time you do playoffs and regular season. Might be better to make the spreadsheet open to all and give anyone who wants to help a TPE per season entered? 

Alright. I've started the rough draft right now and will maybe work on it periodically today. I likely will be open to opening it up to the league likely eventually here.

UPDATE:

Slowly going along here. S18 to S30 are complete for statistics (regular season) and S18 to S60 are complete for who the GM was.

If you care to take a look:

All-Time VHL GM stats (and, I guess team stats)

Facts of the update:

1. Vasteras/Stockholm were the worst team of S18-30.

2. HC Davos was the best.

51 minutes ago, Banackock said:

UPDATE:

Slowly going along here. S18 to S30 are complete for statistics (regular season) and S18 to S60 are complete for who the GM was.

If you care to take a look:

All-Time VHL GM stats (and, I guess team stats)

Facts of the update:

1. Vasteras/Stockholm were the worst team of S18-30.

2. HC Davos was the best.

S18 to S40 now complete with stats.

Seattle is fucking shit (before my time hey). Time to move the team??

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

And lastly, S18 to S49 - as requested, is complete for Team stats (GM stats) for the regular season.

Once again, Seattle is shit. So, join us. let's change that. 

Was bored and curious... @Will Up to S60 is done on the spreadsheet despite only having to do up to S49. 

On 6/24/2018 at 1:56 PM, Banackock said:

And lastly, S18 to S49 - as requested, is complete for Team stats (GM stats) for the regular season.

Once again, Seattle is shit. So, join us. let's change that. 

okay... NOW lastly.. Regular season stats = DONE..

S18-S49 PLAYOFF ALL-TIME STATS/GM STATS.

Playoffs = DONE. 

Crazy amount of work, sorta. Glad it's over. Rest is in @Will hands. :) ENJOY VHL!

• Senior Admin

What are the best ways to break this down for GM's? 

- Overall combined (all playoffs + regular seasons combined for each GM)

- Overall Regular Season record for each GM 

- Overall Playoff record for each GM 

- Overall GM records by Team 

- ???

Is the combined one useful at all or should regular season/playoff just be separate? 

1 hour ago, Will said:

What are the best ways to break this down for GM's? 

- Overall combined (all playoffs + regular seasons combined for each GM) 

- Overall Regular Season record for each GM 

- Overall Playoff record for each GM 

- Overall GM records by Team 

- ???

Is the combined one useful at all or should regular season/playoff just be separate? 

season and playoff records separated