2018-2019 NHL Discussion

Fire Tortorella

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

They're going to be a fun team for sure but their defense is still pretty meh. They have lots of cap wonder if they try and take a swing at someone with an expiring contract on the blue line? I like Reilly but the rest is pretty bad for a contender. THey should be all over Petry if Mtl trades him. Would be a perfect fit for them.

Yeah if they have the cap, they will need to shore up the blueline. Nylander still needs a contract for this year as a RFA which means what $4 Million? With that D-Core they will need something else. Andersen is good, but inconsistent and that is scary for them.

4 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah if they have the cap, they will need to shore up the blueline. Nylander still needs a contract for this year as a RFA which means what $4 Million? With that D-Core they will need something else. Andersen is good, but inconsistent and that is scary for them.

I think Nylander will get in the six million per range. Maybe even higher if its a longer term deal...

9 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

You shoulda seen a post i made on HFboards lol i talked about how i actually think long term this is a really bad call by Leafs management. Just look at the cap projections 11mill JT, 11/12 Matthews, 6-8 Nylander,

8-10 Marner. Marleau 6mill, Anderson 5, Rielly 5, Zatsiev 4.5, Gardiner 4, Kadri 4.5

64.5- 69mill at max on 10 players how are they gunna compete with that much cap to not even a full top 6 or top 4

Meh, in the short term they can bridge the big 3, and if they need to they can get someone (probably benning) to take zaitsev. Fit everyone for the next few years, then if the cap doesn’t work going forward, move one of Nylander/Marner for some youth. 

8 hours ago, Kendrick said:

If other teams are smart they do this. Offer sheet him so Toronto has to either scramble to get the cap to sign him or trade pieces to you for cheap.

Meh, that’s assuming he makes it to RFA and signs an offer sheet. We’ll see if it gets to that point and a GM wants to try it. I personally doubt it, but who knows

1 hour ago, Quik said:

Meh, in the short term they can bridge the big 3, and if they need to they can get someone (probably benning) to take zaitsev. Fit everyone for the next few years, then if the cap doesn’t work going forward, move one of Nylander/Marner for some youth. 

Meh, that’s assuming he makes it to RFA and signs an offer sheet. We’ll see if it gets to that point and a GM wants to try it. I personally doubt it, but who knows

You doubt it gets to that point or that someone offer sheets him? Given his value I wouldn't be surprised if another GM signs him to a loaded contract. I do doubt it gets to that stage though.

4 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

O'Rielly is a Blue

Tage Thompson, Patrick Berglund, Vladimir Sabotka, 1st 2019 , 2nd 2021 going to Buffalo.

Sabers get some forward depth, and picks. But still not crazy about the deal for them

Maybe it's just me but thats another team who needs to add more. Jake Allen doesn't give me faith

7 hours ago, Kendrick said:

You doubt it gets to that point or that someone offer sheets him? Given his value I wouldn't be surprised if another GM signs him to a loaded contract. I do doubt it gets to that stage though.

That it gets to that point. I can see a GM trying it if he makes it to RFA, but I don’t see him or Marner making it there. Dubas knows these guys need to be paid, he won’t have an issue with fitting them in. It’s the Komarovs and Bozaks, now the Browns, Hymans, etc. who will be squeezed out when their contracts start to cost too much, not the star players. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I really like STL coming out of the West this year, curious what their odds are. Only question mark is Jake Allen..

Have I been summoned?

The biggest question mark before last year was C depth, adding ROR and (an overpaid) Bozak should fix that issue. Now the attention shifts to Allen. I'm almost convinced that if he shits the bed (a la Mason in WPG), Husso has a chance to swoop in and steal the starter spot (a la Hellebuyck in WPG).

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I really like STL coming out of the West this year, curious what their odds are. Only question mark is Jake Allen..

Agreed boys, talking hockey with @ADV and we certainly felt the Blues could be contenders out of the west this season. They absolutely made some good upgrades, upgrades that they really needed to make. Allen may still be a question mark but I'd say other than in net Blues are pretty comparable to a good majority of the other top teams in the league. 

Based on what I've seen, here are my top four teams (not ranked in order) out of each conference.

West:

Winnipeg

St. Louis

LA

San Jose

East:

Tampa

Boston

Washington

Pitt

5 minutes ago, Devise said:

San Jose

I have them misssing the playoffs you have them as a top 4 team. The Sharks have gotten significantly older. Added no signifcant piece, since last year. Flames got better, Vegas will still be a threat, Anaheim outside of Kesler is actually healthy to start the year. LA got better, i think SJS run ends, with Jumbo, Pavelski, Burns starting to slow down. 

2 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

I have them misssing the playoffs you have them as a top 4 team. The Sharks have gotten significantly older. Added no signifcant piece, since last year. Flames got better, Vegas will still be a threat, Anaheim outside of Kesler is actually healthy to start the year. LA got better, i think SJS run ends, with Jumbo, Pavelski, Burns starting to slow down. 

Yeah I don't know if I think they are miss the playoffs worthy. If anything the Flames are that for me. I think there is a big push right now from fans to see the young movement dominate or take over the league. I don't think we are quite as close to that as people think we are. I don't think we are that far mind you, but I still see another season or two of some of the older guard still dominating the tops in the league.

Realistically as for top 4 teams, after St Louis and Winnipeg in the west it's two of the 3 California teams to me. LA is probably my lock, but I could see either San Jose or Anahiem filling that next slot. Vegas is a tough team to judge. I'm not in the camp that believes that everything they did last season was a fluke, but I also think they over achieved. They are a playoff team or close to me, but not up there really with LA, Winnipeg and St Louis. Up and down the line up those are better clubs, and I think it'll be a bit more of a realistic season for Vegas next year. Which just means competitive versus the dominating they had last year. 

The east is probably the least wide open I'd say. The four I listed I still think are easily the top four, and I think that people have really overvalued Tavares to Toronto for example. That team still has awful defense and question mark goaltending, and it's offensive assets don't even out duel several of the top 4 teams in the East, and those teams also have better D and better goalies. 

I think Vegas still makes the playoffs. LA, SJ, ANA could all potentially miss the playoffs. Nashville is still a strong team in the West. Saros could take over as the starter later in the year. Colorado did really well last year, added Grubauer as well. Are they playoff bound again? I dont see why not. Calgary is a bubble team. They will either do really well with the changes or they'll fall on their faces like Edmonton.

Canucks have and always will SUCK. Linden leaving was smart on his part. Now we see if Linden truly wanted to REBUILD or if Benning is the idiot that doesn't want to rebuild and wants to "re-tool" (giving Beagle/Roussel/Schaller these contracts)

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Canucks have and always will SUCK. Linden leaving was smart on his part. Now we see if Linden truly wanted to REBUILD or if Benning is the idiot that doesn't want to rebuild and wants to "re-tool" (giving Beagle/Roussel/Schaller these contracts)

oh hey youre back

As a Vegas homer, I think this season will be good at proving who was and wasn't a fluke last season among the guys who played out of their minds like Wild Bill, Marchie, Shmidt, etc......but overall I think the team will have more time gelled together and maybe we won't lose Fluery for a huge chunk of the season, then Subban after he steps in and plays well, and then Dansk afte....you get the picture. We'll also see if Glass, Barnstrom, or Suzuki make the team. or that 4th prospect whose name I forget every damn time.

I think this is a team that realistically should be able to make the playoffs and win a series, barring any ridiculous unforeseen events. Good structure, good culture, and good coaching. After that....who knows? Anything can happen in the semi-finals.

9 hours ago, ChrisF said:

They haven't always sucked. They didn't suck in 1982, 1994, and 2011 at least. Just lost in the finals.

59 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

For real. Canucks got fucked real hard by the Bruins. Fell into their game.

Not to mention the penalties, injuries, etc. But that can't be an excuse.

Yeah, I'll always have that one distinct memory of Marchand punching a Sedin in the face after the whistle in front of the ref, and Sedin looking at the ref like "umm come on." But because it's the playoffs and they were paw shots the ref was just "whatever." Canucks had to figure Boston was going to bully at some point that series but when it happened it just seemed to not overwhelm them, more just consume them. I don't know, Tim Thomas is a huge factor in that series too. 

17 hours ago, AdamEss said:

As a Vegas homer, I think this season will be good at proving who was and wasn't a fluke last season among the guys who played out of their minds like Wild Bill, Marchie, Shmidt, etc......but overall I think the team will have more time gelled together and maybe we won't lose Fluery for a huge chunk of the season, then Subban after he steps in and plays well, and then Dansk afte....you get the picture. We'll also see if Glass, Barnstrom, or Suzuki make the team. or that 4th prospect whose name I forget every damn time.

I think this is a team that realistically should be able to make the playoffs and win a series, barring any ridiculous unforeseen events. Good structure, good culture, and good coaching. After that....who knows? Anything can happen in the semi-finals.

Marchie is more than proven hes a top 6 winger by now. This will just be if its top end or just good. Wild Bill i think regresses but still very good. Schmidt i loved in Washington but hes a top 4 guy at most

4 hours ago, Devise said:

Yeah, I'll always have that one distinct memory of Marchand punching a Sedin in the face after the whistle in front of the ref, and Sedin looking at the ref like "umm come on." But because it's the playoffs and they were paw shots the ref was just "whatever." Canucks had to figure Boston was going to bully at some point that series but when it happened it just seemed to not overwhelm them, more just consume them. I don't know, Tim Thomas is a huge factor in that series too. 

Yeah, seemed like instead of adjusting they just decided to try to appeal to the refs for the whole series. Should have gathered after the first bit that they should just play on. But I mean, it's pretty widely known that Boston got away with a ton of calls. So did Canucks sometimes though. I mean, shit....Johnny Boychuck broke Raymond's back, no penalty on the play. Almost ended his career. Then there was the Aaron Rome hit on Horton where that hitting rule wasn't exactly clear that year, and a lot of hits that looked the same weren't getting called but Rome got suspended the rest of the series.

There was just a lot going on in that series. Such a shame that it ended with a 4-0 Tim Thomas shutout whooping. Should have been a thriller, the rest of the series and those playoffs were.

31 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, seemed like instead of adjusting they just decided to try to appeal to the refs for the whole series. Should have gathered after the first bit that they should just play on. But I mean, it's pretty widely known that Boston got away with a ton of calls. So did Canucks sometimes though. I mean, shit....Johnny Boychuck broke Raymond's back, no penalty on the play. Almost ended his career. Then there was the Aaron Rome hit on Horton where that hitting rule wasn't exactly clear that year, and a lot of hits that looked the same weren't getting called but Rome got suspended the rest of the series.

There was just a lot going on in that series. Such a shame that it ended with a 4-0 Tim Thomas shutout whooping. Should have been a thriller, the rest of the series and those playoffs were.

Hamhuis tearing his groin in Game 1. Samuelsson getting hurt. Raymond breaking his freaking back. Kesler playing on 1 leg. others i cant think about right now. man im about to cry. the canucks were supposed to win man