2018-2019 NHL Discussion

Fire Tortorella

6 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

Marchie is more than proven hes a top 6 winger by now. This will just be if its top end or just good. Wild Bill i think regresses but still very good. Schmidt i loved in Washington but hes a top 4 guy at most

Agreed on Marchie of course.

The question on Bill is how much regressing? If he comes back and has another 30+ goals, but doesn't hit 40 again, then hey..he regressed. Schmidt is a guy I can see taking last season and showing its wasn't a one time thing and proving he belongs as a top 2.

GETTING READY FOR THE 2018-2019 NEW JERSEY DEVILS TO MOST LIKELY BE A MINOR LET DOWN COMAPRED TO LAST YEEEEARRRR

YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET  YEET 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Kotkaniemi the next Kopitar folks. @Ahma another Finnish legend for the Habs.

well... I woulnd't say that yet. If Kotkaniemi plays in Finland this year, I will be watching him play closely. But I do hope he turns out to be great.

Edited by Ahma

2 minutes ago, Ahma said:

well... I woulnd't say that yet. If Kotkaniemi plays in Finland this year, I will be watching him play closely. But I do hope he turns out to be great.

Lol I was joking. He should be back in Assat IMO. I doubt they even consider Laval as a serious option. It's either dominate at camp and play in the NHL or go back to Finland for him. He's coached by his father so it may be the best option.

4 hours ago, Tyler said:

Lol I was joking. He should be back in Assat IMO. I doubt they even consider Laval as a serious option. It's either dominate at camp and play in the NHL or go back to Finland for him. He's coached by his father so it may be the best option.

he's nowhere near NHL level, though some people think he should play this year. I'd give Kotkaniemi this season in Finland and the next in AHL. Maybe then he's good to go.

So, now that pre-season is well underway, what are everyone's thoughts on how lines will shape out this season? If I had my way for the Flyers, it would go:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Vorobyev - Simmonds

Raffl - Lehtera (ugh) - Laughton 

Aubel-Kubel

Weise

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald/Hagg - Myers

Folin

Elliot

Neuvirth

It pains me to put Lehtera in at 4C but Laughton is a much better winger than he is center, and we don't have anyone else to plug that hole. If they were going to move Laughton to C, then I would move Aubel-Kubel over to 4RW.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, Fire Hakstol said:

So, now that pre-season is well underway, what are everyone's thoughts on how lines will shape out this season? If I had my way for the Flyers, it would go:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Vorobyev - Simmonds

Raffl - Lehtera (ugh) - Laughton 

Aubel-Kubel

Weise

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald/Hagg - Myers

Folin

Elliot

Neuvirth

It pains me to put Lehtera in at 4C but Laughton is a much better winger than he is center, and we don't have anyone else to plug that hole. If they were going to move Laughton to C, then I would move Aubel-Kubel over to 4RW.

Is konecny really that good now?

Last time i gave the flyers any thought he was still like middling 3rd liner.

To be playing over Voracek and Simmonds seems like high praise lol

Edited by Spade18

9 hours ago, Spade18 said:

Is konecny really that good now?

Last time i gave the flyers any thought he was still like middling 3rd liner.

To be playing over Voracek and Simmonds seems like high praise lol

How long ago was that? Coach had him stuck on 3RW for a while when it was clear that he was better than that.

Voracek is obviously better than him, but that's more about spreading around the talent.

I used to get into this with Boubabi all the time, but Simmonds is not a good ES player. He lives and dies on the PP, and with Patrick, JVR, and Lindblom, it's more than likely he is traded at the deadline (not likely since the Flyers will be in playoff contention) or walks at the end of the year. If he's going to be successful, he has to be on a team's PP1, and we have players who can replace him at a much cheaper price.

16 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:

How long ago was that? Coach had him stuck on 3RW for a while when it was clear that he was better than that.

Voracek is obviously better than him, but that's more about spreading around the talent.

I used to get into this with Boubabi all the time, but Simmonds is not a good ES player. He lives and dies on the PP, and with Patrick, JVR, and Lindblom, it's more than likely he is traded at the deadline (not likely since the Flyers will be in playoff contention) or walks at the end of the year. If he's going to be successful, he has to be on a team's PP1, and we have players who can replace him at a much cheaper price.

It was a while ago admittedly. 

Yea it was playing him over voracek I was more surprised about, and while I know simmonds is more of a special teams guy, I'd take him on the devils any day lol.

22 hours ago, monkeywrench15 said:

i wonder what nylander's situation will be like. last I heard he wants 8.5 million and thats a bit of a stretch

I don't think it's a stretch at all tbh. Look at the comparables and the percent of the cap they take up from when they first signed their deals. I think anything between 8-9 is about where he ends up. It's the downside to having so many young guys come in to the league at the same time.

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

I don't think it's a stretch at all tbh. Look at the comparables and the percent of the cap they take up from when they first signed their deals. I think anything between 8-9 is about where he ends up. It's the downside to having so many young guys come in to the league at the same time.

but wouldn't you expect maybe a 2-3 year deal at first for 7 million?

1 hour ago, monkeywrench15 said:

but wouldn't you expect maybe a 2-3 year deal at first for 7 million?

Nah that'd be an even worse idea for Toronto. 2 yrs at 7m per and then after that he's looking for 10-12 Million per depending on how the cap moves.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been dreaming of Hughes all summer. Now I know the Habs have no chance at him :(

Kotka is looking like he needs some time. I think he should go back to the AHL because his club in Finland is awful. Tatar is better then Patches already IMO lol. Not even joking. What a good trade from Bergevin, which is a rarity. I think he benefits from being here. Kovalev's career rebounded when he came to MTL loved the fans and I think it is going to go the same with Tatar. Surprised how hard he works. 

Waite deserves so much money. Niemi looks like an NHL goalie again because of him. Too bad @boubabi is not here :(

Fire Hakstol

Lines for tomorrow vs NJ @eaglesfan036

Giroux - Couturier - Simmonds

Laughton - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Weal - Konecny

Raffl - Lehtera - Knight

Provy - Ghost

Hagg - Folin

Sanheim - Gudas

Trash goalies not actually his fault

Continues to break up the 1st line (no Konecny) that was so dominate last year

Plays Hagg-Folin as 2nd pairing minutes

4th line was good at start of year, is now trash

Can't actually fault him for goalies though because they suck

Edited by Fire Hakstol

4 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Fire Hakstol

Lines for tomorrow vs NJ @eaglesfan036

Giroux - Couturier - Simmonds

Laughton - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Weal - Konecny

Raffl - Lehtera - Knight

Provy - Ghost

Hagg - Folin

Sanheim - Gudas

Trash goalies not actually his fault

Continues to break up the 1st line (no Konecny) that was so dominate last year

Plays Hagg-Folin as 2nd pairing minutes

4th line was good at start of year, is now trash

Can't actually fault him for goalies though because they suck

but Brian Elliot and Michael Neuvirth a proven number 1. rip. basically replaced Steve Mason with a older slower Steve Mason. 

Just now, TheLastOlympian07 said:

but Brian Elliot and Michael Neuvirth a proven number 1. rip. basically replaced Steve Mason with a older slower Steve Mason. 

I didn't mind letting Mason walk...proof is in the pudding - lost his starting job in Winnipeg and is now basically out of the league.

Elliot/Neuvirth was acceptable last season but after showing their true colors an upgrade of some sort is needed for this year. Hart looked good in pre-season and has looked good in AHL so far (AHL stats for goalies can be so misleading).

As @eaglesfan036 would say..."how hard is it to find an average goalie?"

@Fire Hakstol I'm also starting to sour on Hextall too. Like I always say, how hard is it to find an average stopgap goalie for a few years until Hart is ready? This team has an outstanding core (G-Coots-X-Ghost-Provorov are dominant whenever they are on the ice together), and as far as I can see they will have no problems scoring this year. However, that great core is being wasted by absolutely horrible goal tending. Yes the defense is not playing well either, but just make a save every once in a while please. Also, Hextall seems to be fully on board with Hak, maybe he agrees with his veteran heavy presence philosophy? Was it Hextall or Holmgren who gave Amac that contract?

5 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

so fuck Michael Matheson eh

@DollarAndADream

Come on! He said he's sorry and didn't mean it!

The only sort of positive thing around that whole mess is that Pettersson has been doing real well on his post-concussion testing. Could play by some time next week, which is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 10:34 PM, DollarAndADream said:

Come on! He said he's sorry and didn't mean it!

The only sort of positive thing around that whole mess is that Pettersson has been doing real well on his post-concussion testing. Could play by some time next week, which is awesome.

Oh man, you didn't actually think that was suspsension worthy, did you?

Also, Q is fired! @Fire Hakstol any thoughts on this?